Recent content by SocratesOnFire

1. Quick Questions - Quick Answers Thread

Norwegian vikings: northeast of Scuin, south of Edinburgh
    Danish vikings: north of Dunwic, southeast of Bosvenegh
    Swedish vikings: south of Yyns Mon, north of Caiseal
  2. Quick Questions - Quick Answers Thread

Yeah, leveling in Viking conquest is much slower than vanilla Mount and Blade, and you will need a truly legendary party of companions if you want to mass produce high level infantry. This is somewhat balanced by the much higher party size limit (which includes the leadership skill of all of your companions).

Keep in mind, you can recruit any bandits you meet into you party at a pretty modest price (if they refuse, you can keep asking until they say yes) and Norwegian vikings (the strongest bandits) spawn pretty regularly northeast of Scuin (north of Cell Richmond) and south of Edinburgh.

The campaign will eventually require you to capture and hold a castle. That can be pretty damned hard without a good army, and it can be pretty hard to build a good army in the low/middle levels without hiring vikings
  3. Quick Questions - Quick Answers Thread

Sarin said:
    Horseman javelins are only from loot, right? Or is there another way to get them? And what's the best way to get them from loot...

The best way to get them it to admit to yourself that the idea that bags of javelins produced by the hundred for horseman across the British isles shouldn't be ultra rare in the first place, and just allow yourself to buy them from the cheat menu. Absent that, the best way to get them is to fight the troops that carry them (you can check what troops carry what weapons in the troop tree screen, accessible via the Camp menu) and build up a morale bonus high enough to allow you to demand first ownership of the loot (expect a 42 point drop in morale if you do, plan accordingly). Large groups of british horseman sometimes appear as Masterless Men around the Briton kingdoms (Gwynedd, Glywyssing, Alt Cult, Brycheiniog), which would give the best chance I know of to nab some of them.
  4. Quick Questions - Quick Answers Thread

Ahhhhh, I didn't even think of that. It's too bad then that it's almost impossible to improve that relation score, being non-hostile to norwegian vikings would make it so much easier to bulk recruit them.
  5. Tweaks for Viking Conquest (one for 2.028, others for 2.021, 2.012, 2.010 etc)

kalarhan said:
    SocratesOnFire said:
    Are there any tweaks that allow unrestricted building for the refuge?

game selects a valid terrain near your party. You can even take a boat and use a island if you want to (safe from enemies). Remember to pick a spot away from regular paths used by parties (armies, bandits, etc).

I'm aware of that. But the game does not allow you to build a refuge at all if you attempt to build it too close to a settlement of some kind. As I said, I'd like to build a refuge on Forth River between Dun Breatann and Edinburgh but the arrangement of villages there makes it impossible.
  6. stocking inventory in farmsteads not economical?

It can be very economical, depending on the item and it's cost. If you are making a major trading circuit and you know a good place to sell a raw material like iron or wool, then compare the price offered at market with the raw materials price described by your foreman. It's pretty unlikely that the price your enterprise pays for wool is greater than the price you'd get selling that wool in Dorested, but can sometimes be worth the effort.
  7. Why, after the capture of the city uprising begins

Are you playing sandbox or story mode? I know that the player is disallowed from owning lands until you advance far enough into the story to swear to a kingdom.
  8. Tweaks for Viking Conquest (one for 2.028, others for 2.021, 2.012, 2.010 etc)

Are there any tweaks that allow unrestricted building for the refuge? There's a spot on the river between Dun Breatann and Edinburgh that would be truly amazing for a refuge, but the nearby villages make building one there impossible.
  9. Some hints after exploring game code

Hoboistice said:
    Any idea what the banners/horns do, if anything?

The answer I got from the Quick Questions/ Quick Answers thread was that horns and banners improve in combat morale, reducing the likelihood of troop morale breaking and fleeing the battle.
  10. Some hints after exploring game code

This is is a fabulous post, thank you for making it.
  11. Quick Questions - Quick Answers Thread

kalarhan said:
    SocratesOnFire said:
    but doesn't actually specify what impact these values have.

I added above one of the advantages of being friends with bandits (being able to sell stuff to them)

I understand what you mean, but I'm looking to see if anyone actually knows what specific effect these specific values have. Relations with outlaws, for instance, doesn't affect your ability to trade with them, that's determined by your general reputation. I think it affects the willingness of outlaws to accept payment in lieu of combat (the "don't attack, I have money" dialog option) but I don't know if that's the only thing it does. I've never seen relations with commoners affect anything at all.
  12. Quick Questions - Quick Answers Thread

kalarhan said:
    SocratesOnFire said:
    outlaws have on game play?

play as a lord/king is just one way. You can go the route of a bandit and use bandit lairs to sell loot.

in other words you have multiple ways to play the game (as it is a sandbox), and the world will react to your choices in unexpected ways.

That doesn't actually answer my question. The game tracks several values for commoner relations, sea warrior relations, outlaw relations, but doesn't actually specify what impact these values have.
  13. Quick Questions - Quick Answers Thread

I know religious relations affect kingdom disposition over time, do we know what effect relations with commoners and outlaws have on game play? It there any point to managing these values?
  14. Quick Questions - Quick Answers Thread

Oh excellent, thank you. I guess I've just been getting unlucky then. Could you explain a bit about the differences in the different 'simulate battle' variables? I assume they alter the outcome of the simulated fight somehow? Looking at this and guessing at their meaning, it looks like the "Do not worry. Our men will guard it." option is the always the worst in both casualties and outcome.

(call_script, "script_simulate_battle_with_parties", 25, "$g_enemy_party", 100, 0, 0)
    vs
    (call_script, "script_simulate_battle_with_parties", 30, "$g_enemy_party", 90, 0, 0)
    (call_script, "script_simulate_battle_with_parties", 25, "$g_enemy_party", 50, 0, 0),
  15. Quick Questions - Quick Answers Thread

I've put a lot of hours into M&B, and VC specifically, but I've never really figured out how to best handle the sally events that happen during sieges. The enemy sallies, kills roughly 5% of my army outright in a auto-calc battle (seemingly ignoring the party's surgery skill), and then I'm given three possible reactions to choose from ('send all men to defend the equipment' 'don't worry, the men will defend it' and 'I will take some men to drive them off'). No matter which I choose, or seemingly no matter the size or composition of my army, the equipment always ends up destroyed and another 5% of my army is killed (again ignoring the party's surgery skill).

Is there a subtle difference between the outcomes of these choices that I'm just unable to notice? Why am I given options when the outcome is always exactly the same?
Back
Top Bottom