Recent content by skald

1. Your current characters role/nationality.

Nord, 505th Day

Father was a hunter, somehow became a squire in a minor Lord's court before getting kicked out and becoming a poacher. Local Lord got pissed at poaching and hunted me south in to Vaegir lands around Curaw/Khudan. Revenge against the Swadians for them wronging me.

Lancer on a Champion Hunter, balanced war spear, masterwork heavy bastard sword, thick knightly heater shield and working on thrown weapons as I need ranged on horse back against Swadian Cavalry and Khergits. Sieges I got a Khergit bow, got rid of the Masterwork Siege Crossbow as it is too slow. Masterwork Hunting bow is fast but doesn't do enough damage but is extremely accurate. Magelord tweak makes sieges fun for archery.

Level 30, 250 in pole arms and 200 in 1H, 2H and Archery while 140  in Crossbow and Thrown.

I own Abdelen, Cumarr and Etrosq castle with associated villages. Took Yalen but Ragnar gave it to someone else, hopefully the Rhodoks or Swadian's will take it so I can take it back and ask Ragnar for it. Swadians took Suno and Kelreden Castle back from us so I am taking it back.

Borcha has a Nomad bow and 99 arrows on a Champion Courser. Nizar is my other horse archer though he also carries a spear and a sword for traditional cav and foot work.
  2. New weapons that you would like

MeestYk said:
    skald said:
    MeestYk said:
    skald said:
    I was just pointing out that European armor and weaponry was superior to pretty much everything in existance.

I'd like to see you bring sources to back that up instead of reading your ignorance.

Sources?

European history from Hellenic times to now... European weapons and armor have been better, more durable, less prone to combat breakage. And things we didn't create such as firearms and the Crossbow we greatly improved upon, just look up John Alexander Forsyth, Samuel Colt, John Browning, Hiram Maxim, Mauser and Dr. John Gatling.

The earliest examples of chainmail are found in Europe, 4th Century BCE. China did indeed invent a repeating Cross bow but look up the Polybolos invented around the same time.

Heck, Alexander the Great?

But apart from that. The Katana and Shamshir is a great weapon against unarmored peasants and lighty armored Samurai. But against someone sporting chainmail? Only the thrust would work and that'd be hard to do against a weapon such as the Arming Sword that'd probably break the poor blade. Nevermind that compared to the Longbow which was barely capable of penetrating plate at around 20 meters, it doesn't deliver as much power.

Only the Crossbow and really the Mongol recurve composite bow had a chance against heavy European armor, that and a lance from a charging horse but really only Europeans charged at one another with sticks, the Samura, Mongols and Arabs danced around with bows which while effective, were not 'battle winning'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRXwk4Kdbic Simulated longbows at decreasing distances. Only at twenty meters did it seem to penetrate a breast plate. And the English Longbow has among the heaviest draw weight, and the Japanese Longbow generally has a lower draw weight. Might penetrate chainmail...

You should bring sources to support them.  When ....everything in existence that's when I want sources.  Did they fight anyone else besides themselves? Then how could they have superiority in every armor and weapon if they were not tested in battle vs the whole ****ing planet?  I just call it ignorance and made my point.

I'm not arrogant, I am just educated.

Did the Europeans fight people other than themselves? The Turks, the Saracens, the Barbers, and the Huns. When well led and fed, the Europeans won. Don't believe me. Look up the Battle of Montgisard where King Baldwin IV led a few hundred knights on horse and a few thousand me on foot to route Saladin's army of some 30,000. Saracen accounts alone tell of how frightened they were of the heavily armored Crusaders.

The Turks were problematic mostly because the Byzantines couldn't get their act together. Byzantine intrigue and politics as well as cronyism led to multiple defeats on the battlefield through pour generalship... Only the Crusader call kept the Byzantine's surviving until 1453 where siege guns built by Europeans for the Turks took Constantinople. Though the Catholics had it in for the Byzantines, just look at the Fourth Crusade.

As for Longbow versus Japanese bows, the Mary Rose, a Tudor English Carrack that sunk in 1545, had some longbows aboard, of which some 137 were recovered as well as some 3500 arrows. http://www.maryrose.org/ship/bows1.htm In well perserved condition.

Average bow length was 1.98 meters varying between 1.87 and 2.11 meters. Arrow draw length was between 24 and 32 inches. Some were tested to destruction http://www.florilegium.org/?http%3A//www.florilegium.org/files/ARCHERY/p-archery-msg.html and showed an average draw weight of 100 pounds. But, upon further investigation the sea-water had degraded the wood so replicas were made that showed draw weights in excess of 150 pounds.

And we can look to Gerald of Wales 12th Century account in Itinerarium Cambriae of which I cannot find online. But he stated:

, ... n the war against the Welsh, one of the men of arms was struck by an arrow shot at him by a Welshman. It went right through his thigh, high up, where it was protected inside and outside the leg by his iron cuirasses, and then through the skirt of his leather tunic; next it penetrated that part of the saddle which is called the alva or seat; and finally it lodged in his horse, driving so deep that it killed the animal.

This is about the Welsh Longbow which we can conclude based on close geographic proximity, was the father of the English Grandfather if not one in the same.

And according to the Assize of Arms in 1252 and Edward IIIs proclaimation in 1363, English men were required to practice with longbows regularly. I think one of the Henrys  required men to train every Sunday after religious services.
  3. New weapons that you would like

MeestYk said:
    skald said:
    I was just pointing out that European armor and weaponry was superior to pretty much everything in existance.

I'd like to see you bring sources to back that up instead of reading your ignorance.

Sources?

European history from Hellenic times to now... European weapons and armor have been better, more durable, less prone to combat breakage. And things we didn't create such as firearms and the Crossbow we greatly improved upon, just look up John Alexander Forsyth, Samuel Colt, John Browning, Hiram Maxim, Mauser and Dr. John Gatling.

The earliest examples of chainmail are found in Europe, 4th Century BCE. China did indeed invent a repeating Cross bow but look up the Polybolos invented around the same time.

Heck, Alexander the Great?

But apart from that. The Katana and Shamshir is a great weapon against unarmored peasants and lighty armored Samurai. But against someone sporting chainmail? Only the thrust would work and that'd be hard to do against a weapon such as the Arming Sword that'd probably break the poor blade. Nevermind that compared to the Longbow which was barely capable of penetrating plate at around 20 meters, it doesn't deliver as much power.

Only the Crossbow and really the Mongol recurve composite bow had a chance against heavy European armor, that and a lance from a charging horse but really only Europeans charged at one another with sticks, the Samura, Mongols and Arabs danced around with bows which while effective, were not 'battle winning'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRXwk4Kdbic Simulated longbows at decreasing distances. Only at twenty meters did it seem to penetrate a breast plate. And the English Longbow has among the heaviest draw weight, and the Japanese Longbow generally has a lower draw weight. Might penetrate chainmail...
  4. New weapons that you would like

The Mercenary said:
    skald said:

Then how did they get their asses handed to them by the Turks and the Saracens?

Examples?
  5. New weapons that you would like

6. New weapons that you would like

The Mercenary said:
    skald said:
    Savage said:
    A katana, from what I've heard, is either made for nor good versus armor.

Of course, Japan didn't have European style armor. At best, the face mask was iron. The rest of the armor was leather, bone, and plant materials like straw, reed wood and paper. Which Japanese swords could deal with with relative ease. But against heavy armor like chain and plate, and you run into problems.

Give me 200 well armed and armored knights and 10,000 men on foot from the army that won at Agincourt and Crecy and I could destroy any Japanese army. I don't even think the Japanese longbow can penetrate chain. Just imagine what English Longbowmen could do against Samurai...

(Just because I haven't done anything in the Corrupt a Wish)
    Granted. You have 200 well armed and armoured knights and 10,000 men on foot. Against an army of Japanese tanks and bombers.

The Samurai longbow was longer than the English longbow.

The Longbow was superior. And I argue that the Longbowmen were as proficient if not more proficient with its use than Samurai were with their use.
  7. New weapons that you would like

Savage said:
    A katana, from what I've heard, is either made for nor good versus armor.

Of course, Japan didn't have European style armor. At best, the face mask was iron. The rest of the armor was leather, bone, and plant materials like straw, reed wood and paper. Which Japanese swords could deal with with relative ease. But against heavy armor like chain and plate, and you run into problems.

Give me 200 well armed and armored knights and 10,000 men on foot from the army that won at Agincourt and Crecy and I could destroy any Japanese army. I don't even think the Japanese longbow can penetrate chain. Just imagine what English Longbowmen could do against Samurai...
  8. New weapons that you would like

LordMutaz said:
    Weren't Katanas so sharp they could cut the cannons used by americans in a single strike.
    But that blade looks like it can slash fairly well but it seems really delicate with thrusts , thrust it into something or someone the wrong way and it seems like your screwed.

Nope. No weapon can do that. An artillery piece's barrel is several inches thick. Ain't gonna happen. Not even sure it could do it to Ma Deuce fifty caliber let alone a medium machine gun like the M1913 .30 caliber.

I prefer my 1796 Light Cavalry Saber and my 1860 United States Heavy Cavalry Saber. Pretty good blades.
  9. Siege defence vs siege attack

I prefer siege defense for the pure bloodbath that ensues when Rhodok's meet Huscarl axes.  And with Magelord's inventory tweak I get to shoot Rhodok's all the live long day.
  10. New weapons that you would like

Night Ninja said:
    skald said:
    It depends on quality. There is no doubt that the Katana is one of the best, if not the best, cutting sword out there...

But I'd have to go with European swords, specifically the traditional double-edge, straight blade, cruciform arming sword or the two-handed swords such as carried by the Landschnekt.

Not really. It was never a superlative weapon, that misconception was just spread by all the katanaphiles and japanophile anime nuts.

However, in terms of aesthetics, it does tend to look better (on first glance) to the ignorant eye, which might also account for another reason for all the katana love. :roll:

As I said, I'll stick with a greatsword. I can cut through double mats with it.
  11. Tweak - How to Allow Accessing Inventory During a Siege

skald said:
    Hmm. For some reason notepad won't let me save it. Damned vista.

This is the error message I get:

Cannot create the C:\ProgramFiles\Mount&Blade\Modules\Native\mission_template.txt file

Make sure that the path and filename are correct.

Fixed it... Damned permissions.
  12. Tweak - How to Allow Accessing Inventory During a Siege

Hmm. For some reason notepad won't let me save it. Damned vista.

This is the error message I get:

Cannot create the C:\ProgramFiles\Mount&Blade\Modules\Native\mission_template.txt file

Make sure that the path and filename are correct.
  13. Mount & Blade siege sucks

Siege/Assault needs some serious development...

But it would require more command development.
  14. Manor?!?! Yes worthless.

LordMutaz said:
    Save for a Champion Charge and destory Nords By yourself.

I have yet to see a champion charger. I got a champion hunter and that is a mean beast and is fast and agile as a courser. How does it compare?
  15. Great game but the strategy side needs more developing ..

The Ultimate game would be Medieval Total War blended with Mount and Blade's hack and slash...

Now that'd be fun.
Back
Top Bottom