Recent content by Salmonsy

1. Don't feel pressured Taleworlds

Knez said:
    Unlike for the duke nukem, we have a pretty clear insight what's going on, and how does it look like. Same formula and base as warband, more in depth with better graphic and animations. Like when they made warband from mount and blade except the difference is even larger. Huge plus is that this game does not require any sort of story, plain insights of stuff here and there, how this work, how that works, something like tutorial, is enough. Thing that worries me is the mutiplayer, but singleplayer will be enjoyable. Some people expect way too much out of it, they expect it to be better crusader kings 2 than crusader kings 2 is. In that manner, they will be disappointed, that i guarantee. Their thirst can not be satisfied. Those who do not, those who want a worthy successor of mount and blade warband, will get it. If they don't, the company will not get the second chance. It's a huge weight for this company, and this is the logical reason why they are not rushing it. The more time progresses, the more people overall expect from it. With good reason. But there is not much they can do, other than to release it in good state
    We now know what went wrong with Duke Nukem Forever, though. The root cause was lack of a clear vision as well as redoing everything over and over again because technology kept advancing and other good FPS games came out in the meantime. The demos they made and presented to the press or at events always garnered a lot of praise but it was never enough. They wanted to make the best game ever but weren't able to lock down what exactly that meant.

I expect Bannerlord to be a mess when (or if  :iamamoron: ) it releases. Because all this time wasn't exactly spent on refining and polishing the game.
  2. Armor tiers,Damage scaling,Thrown weapons,ammo capacity and low tier crossbows

Wyzilla said:
    The issue isn't so much with ranged weapon lethality as it is the absurd strength some units can get. I've been toying around with dialing bows waaaaaay the hell back to realistic levels along with some of the other missile weapons, and it didn't effect the game in truth too much besides the elite units being absolutely murderous in melee compared to before due to having obscene strength levels. So long as you dial that back everything ends up balanced again with reduced missile weapon damage. Although javelins always need to be dialed back in terms of damage because realistically and just reasonably speaking, no thrown weapon is generating force comparable to a crossbow bolt or compound/warbow arrow. Ever. You'd need an atlatl to accomplish that. Javelins are supposed to be purely used for mulching light troops and killing horses.

That said if you're going to be re-balancing anything, the Ebony Knights have to be hit with a nerfbat in general. With the lethality of XBows in the game currently coupled with their sheer strength and penetration orientated weapons, nothing but the knife-ears can counter them. And even then they don't do it well- especially on hilly maps or sieges. With the introduction of guns it might actually be a good idea to give them those instead of their XBows, as the long reload time on the arquebuses will allow cav a chance to get into melee before being shot to pieces by the first two volleys.
    If we're talking realism, pretty much nothing could penetrate mail armor except daggers that were specifically designed to be thin enough to go through the gaps between every link. If we're talking gameplay, it makes sense that crossbows fulfill the sniper role because they're slow to reload. The same with thrown weapons, they're inaccurate and their overeall dps is low, so they should be able to burst down enemies. If you were to have realistic combat, anyone wearing at least chain mail would be pretty much unkillable through normal means except with blunt weapons because the impact generates enough force so that armor doesn't matter that much.

Ideally, different weapons that perform a similar role should offer you different options to approach the same target. If you make crossbows simply worse than bows and thrown weapons weak, people would simply stop using them.
  3. Armor tiers,Damage scaling,Thrown weapons,ammo capacity and low tier crossbows

IIRC it's mostly because Warband's armor system is pretty bad. Each point of armor is equal, meaning it doesn't matter if it comes from clothing or heavy plate armor. There are soak values for each point of armor and that's it so unless you bloat plate armor to extreme values, there's not much you can do. There's no way to make any given type of armor more susceptible to a specific kind of damage. This really hasn't anything to do with realism, it's about how the game itself works.
  4. Saw this on Reddit, a response from Taleworlds?

Kniggit said:
    TL;DR: From a development perspective, I can sort of empathize with Taleworlds, but some timeframe or a list of remaining tasks to be completed would be nice.

It would really be neat to see Taleworlds use something like Trello, that could be made open to the public so they can actually see progress. I've used that many times for a few projects and its especially nice when working with multiple people so you can see what needs to be done, what stage/priority it is at, who it is assigned to, etc. Not many companies/business make that sort of stuff public, but I saw 1 or 2 "Early Access" projects that had a public Trello link on their site that people could visit to see what they were working on, and what features to get excited about. Then again, those were smaller projects with a much smaller fanbase, and only 1 or 2 dudes working on it.

Here's a link to an old Trello board that Spine used (an animation software that I use for some 2d games) that you could see what was being worked on: https://trello.com/b/frGlgsF7/spine-editor

Not sure what I would do in their shoes to be honest. I can certainly see them not wanting to give another release date if they aren't sure if they can meet that date. Hell I'm working on something for an app I'm making in my free time that I thought would have taken me 4 hours tops, after a few days of re-hashing through it, it certainly has taken me longer than I thought. If I had a deadline for that, I would have had no choice but to push back the deadline or else the app simply would not function properly.

Do what you gotta do Taleworlds, I guess I really just want a real release date so I can apply for time off ahead of time, or else I'll be calling in sick for a few days once it's released  :lol:
    You make the assumption that they're developing the game in a way that makes it a linear, continuous process. As in, such and such amount of hours of work will get us closer to finishing the game. I'm arguing that since they're co-developing the engine of the game at the same time this doesn't need to be the case because changing the engine can make a lot of work null and void, forcing you to spend a considerable amount of time redoing the stuff that was already finished prior. I'm pretty sure their refusal to give a release date isn't about not wanting to disappoint people but rather because they want to still have the option to further tweak the engine if they feel it would be the right thing to do. They're not willing to burn that bridge which is concerning because it might ultimately lead to the demise of the game and the studio, if we're talking worst case here.

Which is why I found the statement regarding how it's not that unusual for a game like Bannerlord taking so long pretty dishonest. If I recall correctly, they've more or less admitted that the engine or rather the development thereof has been the biggest bottleneck so far.
  5. Saw this on Reddit, a response from Taleworlds?

Ragratt said:
    Yeah, Bannerlord is going to be significantly more awesome! They’ve made major changes from early development to dramatically improve every aspect of the the game.  Do those with such infantile demands and simplistic expectations think Taleworlds should pay them any mind whatsoever? Yes, of course and they believe they deserving of the game immediately simply for owning nothing but a wish.  They have a juvenile attitude. They want a # product apparently and they want it now! “I want it, I should have it now.”  The game is not finished.  Do you want an unfinished game? Do you want a mediocre one?  They are adding and improving so much to make Bannerlord a great game on release. True fans should be grateful that this title will be such a labor of love, because the result will be so much greater.

Warband was a half-ass release honestly, and it took years from the original and years of iteration after it was handed to public to arrive at what it is now. All past sales have enabled TW to grow their team and spend more time / resources developing Bannerlord to exceed expectations.  TW is taking the core game to the level of quality and detail it deserves. The devs don’t owe anyone an explanation, noone has paid for said game. Give them time, they will deliver.
    Don't know if sarcasm or not.

Kentucky James said:
    What I mean is that there is so much carryover from m&b to warband that it's more like a large update than a new game. Significant chunks of code were carried over from 2008 to 2010, almost all of the textures and models from m&b are still in the game in some form, and even the names of settlements are the same. I don't fault them for basically releasing the same game twice, especially given how long development was, but it's definitely something to take into account when looking at the development cycle of bannerlord. Warband wasn't in development for 2 years because most of it had already been made by 2008. Even the original mnb is like three complete genres of game overlaid atop one another (strategy, rpg, third person action combat), so it's not surprising that it's taken so long.
    I know, but even if you argue that way it's more appropiate to say that Mount&Blade was in development from 2004 to 2010 because development for M&B started 2004 and Warband was released in 2010. Bannerlord's development started around 2011 and is still ongoing 2018 with no end in sight. And when (or if) Bannerlord releases you don't know how many years of patching they'll need to fully flesh out the game.
  6. Saw this on Reddit, a response from Taleworlds?

Kentucky James said:
    Duke Nukem forever was a linear shooter that suffered from publisher ping-pong just as much as developer overconfidence. I'm not sure you can compare it so easily to bannerlord.
    I don't doubt that armağan is a crazy perfectionist, and I feel like bannerlord is going to be a total mess upon release, but at the same time warband itself was in development for just as long. There is no major difference between mount and blade and warband, taleworlds just decided to paywall a significant update, so warband has essentially been in development since 2004 up until around 2013.
    DnF being a much more simple game is reason to worry even more, the ping-pong was the consequence of being stuck in development hell. I don't want to compare the games or even the companies, I just draw parallels between the two development processes.
    That being said, I would consider Mount&Blade and Warband two separate games. Technically, at least. I don't think it's fair to conflate the two games for the sake of being able to say that this game was in development from 2004 to 2013. But even if you'd go that route, it would be more appropiate to say the game was in development from 2004 to 2010 because post-launch support is usually not considered to be active development time. At least I don't think so.
  7. Saw this on Reddit, a response from Taleworlds?

Nymeris said:
    I literally read all you said like 10 times (not exaggerating) before in other people comments, they are all based on expeculations of what's going on on Taleworlds, they changed paths before yes, it doesn't mean it's still the case, so I just blame bait on these comments because it's not only not even original its not even right, and because Taleworlds said like a thousand times before that they're taking their time and there's nothing we can do.
    3D Realms also never admitted they were in development hell because it's usually only after everything is said and done that you can identify whether the game was stuck in it or not. They didn't start the project with the intention to fail and every rework, update and delay was done in good faith that it will end up being a better game for it. A lot of the rhetoric and language that Taleworlds now uses to justify the lengthy development process was also used by 3D Realms back then. It's all about trying to make the 'perfect game' and the lack of necessity to push towards a tangible release date. Keep in mind they've been painintg and repainting the same picture over 7 years without any feedback whatsoever so it's entirely possible that their vision of how the game should be got distorted by spending so much time on it.
  8. Saw this on Reddit, a response from Taleworlds?

'It's bait by virtue of me disagreeing with what was said'

Well with reddit in the title I guess it's to be expected
  9. Saw this on Reddit, a response from Taleworlds?

Semantics, mostly. While it should be obvious that they aren't just upgrading the graphics more and more, they clearly fell into the same trap 3D Realms fell with Duke Nukem Forever. The question is if they'll eventually wiggle their way out of development hell or not. Keep in mind the game was considered somewhat fit for release in the summer of 2016 after 5 years of development. It's pretty clear something significant changed, probably engine related because Taleworlds are also developing the engine alongside the game.

And if a change to the engine is significant enough, most of the work that was done before the change becomes irrelevant. Let's be honest here, a game of the scope of Bannerlord - which cuts many corners when it comes to what is shown and what is simulated in the background - 7 years and counting is simply too much. And with that comes the real problem, they can repeat that process how often they deem necessary, even to the point where the company might run out of funds or people willing to spend their time on the project. If, for example, the game would be close to release now but the lead decides that the engine needs to be updated, revamped or expanded upon, you can add another few years.
  10. Dev Blog 19/04/18

Rainbow Dash said:
    No, because daggers in a medieval context are military greade weapons specifically designed for thrusting through gaps in armor and chainmail. They are not kitchen knives which are a household tool for cutting.

I know. And I asked how are you going to translate this into a fun gaming and combat expereince in the game. You answered "make it ignore armor". You're literally asking to make it so looters can have the ability to kill heavily armored armies.
    It seems you don't. Left my quote in there so I don't have to type it out again. I don't know why looters should have military equipment because they're using stones and farming tools. Preddy gud bait overall, tho
  11. Dev Blog 19/04/18

Rainbow Dash said:
    [even more spaghetti]
    Jesus man, where do you store all those spaghetti?
    So what you're saying is that you want to make it so looters can ignore my heavy metal armor and stab me amd my elite army of troops to death?
    No, because daggers in a medieval context are military greade weapons specifically designed for thrusting through gaps in armor and chainmail. They are not kitchen knives which are a household tool for cutting.
    I like how you keep arguing that people fighting daggers is realistic and how they can go toe to toe with knights, but then your idea to somehow translate to making that a fun gameplay experience is by making it so armor is useless
    No, I said that daggers were used to finish off heavily armored opponents and if you'd use them to actually fight they were a good way to get you killed. The second post was how I would implement DAGGERS (not kitchen knives) into the game.

I don't know if you are incapable of actually reading what other people post or if you get so angry whenever you think someone disagrees with the little ideas in your head but dude, get a grip, seriously.
  12. Dev Blog 19/04/18

Rainbow Dash said:
    So what you're suggesting is that every single time I kill someone in Bannerlord I have to switch to my knife and stab him on the ground to make sure he stays dead?

Is that what you call fun gameplay for you? Because having to purchase a second weapon and manually pin down and stab a knight with a knife sounds tedious, boring, and stupid when I could be spending my time raiding, killing archers, having epic duels, or fighting big battles.

Sure cool daggers can kill knights, but mount and blade combat is too fast for stupid unfun crap like having to switch to a different weapon to kill a person.

The realisim mob here pisses me off. Thank god for Taleworlds for not making these guys game developers and focusing on FUN>REALISM, the most important aspect of any video game
    wew lad, I've never seen a single person spilling all that spaghetti at once
    I didn't talk about gameplay, just your claim that 'knights wouldn't run around with a kitchen knife because lol that looks stupid'. As far as the gameplay is concerned, daggers can be fun if done right. I'd give them low base damage, no or almost no scaling with powerstrike and strength but full armor penetration. That way even INT or CHA builds could contribute to a battle by going after high value targets like the enemy lord or elite troops which would probably sport some of the best protection that's in the game. It's all about filling niches, a high STR build for example probably wouldn't need a dagger because the scaling would make other weapons a better choice. It's basically the same with crossbows vs. bows, both are ranged options that fill different niches. If you invest in STR and Power Draw, a good bow is obviously the better choice. If you don't, a crossbow makes more sense. Et cetera. It's all about choices and options. Funneling the player into one playstyle because all other playstyles aren't as viable or efficient is bad game design, Warband did that to an extent so I'm glad that NeverEverBannerlord gives players more options to choose from
  13. Dev Blog 19/04/18

Rainbow Dash said:
    why the hell are people pushing to buffing **** daggers? Have you ever seen a knight fight with a kitchen knife? No its because they straight up suck and they should stay that way unless you want to see heavily armored guys getting janked by peasants carrying 5 dollar daggers
    Daggers were probably the weapon that killed the most knights. Of course you don't win a fight with a dagger, you just finish it with one. Straight up fighting with a dagger is probably a good idea if you want to be killed, though.
  14. Dev Blog 22/03/18

If the animations have to be calculated each time there's some kind of impact, how's the perfomance? I mean it's all nice and dandy with those flashy physics-based animations but I can't really imagine that this plays well with big battle sizes. Also, there was nothing wrong with handmade animations in warband imo, it's not like you'll notice them that much in the thick of a battle.
  15. Gamescom 2018 really?

Nordmann said:
    Maybe the fact that the game has been in development for 6 years? I think most of us were expecting a 2018 release, especially after all this time. They may not have a direct competitor at the moment, but that can always change, and the longer they wait, the more likely it is to happen.
    You need to realise people have been thinking that since 2016. They'll DNF the game, just you wait. We will get another 10 minute gameplay video this year and that's it.
Back
Top Bottom