Recent content by Rydmer

1. Mount&Blade II: Bannerlord Developer Blog 7 - Imperial Declines

Amazing. Both for an update and the fact that its confirmed that we're going backwards to fall of the empire. This will hopefully give us some more exotic one off type of quests to "guide" history towards what we know from warband.
  2. Mount&Blade II: Bannerlord Developer Blog 4 - Flexible Entries

So. First. Just had to do that :smile: never get to do that anywhere. damn people are fast

And the new sieges seem awesome. Never cared much about how simple the previous ones were before now. That will ruin mu current game a bit. But I'll forgive you, when I get my hands on that one  :mrgreen:

And yeah, it looks great for just being at beta or alpha stage... Any chance of Early Access?
  3. Mount&Blade II: Bannerlord Developer Blog 3 - Unexpected Parties

Crille said:
    Rydmer said:
    Crille said:
    For all who oppose what I said about nords and germanics/celtics: I could just extend their arguments to include my prior statement of japanese and vietnamese

Ridicule of opposition: Japanese are of the same lineage/language/cultural tree as vietnamese so in a sort.. Samurais are vietnamese..

Edit: ''Cultural''

The Japanese was for the most part isolated throughout their feudal period so try again. Not hating on it, but at least try to use a proper comparison. And the Japanese are closer to the Chinese and the Koreans.

You very well know what I mean, use your own logic then, do you think samurais were korean? Russians mongols? The mongols chinese?

Do you think the japanese migrated from korea? Probably yes. Do you think the ''vikings'' migrated from southern/eastern of the baltics? Yes probably. Thus isn't it logical of us to assume koreans are samurais and the deutschland are vikings? The mongol horsemasses were chinese and of course all the native indians in old America were basically aztec.

Don't you think there is something wrong with those statements..? So do I.. Vikings are as much celtic/germanic as samurais are koreans.

Edit: Removal of unnecessary quote.

All I said was to at least use cultures that were similar in your comparison. Japanese and Vietnamese is some distance from each other because of said reason.

The Vikings are a North Germanic spring off that turned into its own thing. Primarily as the better part of Germania was taken into the Western Roman Empire after its fall (I forgot what it was named) and by the time of the Viking Age the German people were more settled and cultured whereas the Vikings were wilder and often more uncontrollable.

And my own logic. The Samurais were a product of Japan. Its been a while since I read up about them but I am sure they had already been isolated for close to two hundred years before the samurai's become important.

And what sort of comparison is that? I'll just leave such far off comparisons out.
  4. Mount&Blade II: Bannerlord Developer Blog 3 - Unexpected Parties

Meevar the Mighty said:
    So fluid motions are needed for dual wielding, but not for normal swordsmanship? Get real. The sagas exaggerate less than current M&B combat (throwing javelins up to the stars, cleaving armoured knights in twain with one blow) and dual wielding is documented as far back as there are documents of combat whatsoever, it's not just the sagas. The difficulty with applying it to M&B comes with the idea that it belongs to warrior cultures, aiming for heroic combat, rather than armies aiming for organised slaughter, but M&B doesn't even have formations really, so it doesn't seem like much of an argument.

Fluid motion is needed more as you will use more energy blocking a swing than to dodge it and counter. The only documentation of dual wielding I believe in is that of the gladiators. Trust me on this the fluidity in which you need to move for dual wielding is a lot higher than using a one hand sword, a bastard sword, a two handed sword. Sword and Shield. Axe and shield. Overall you need to attack and defend at the same time as the sword is not always a defensive as a shield would be. Dual wielding is all about shifting between the offense and the defense when you need to.
  5. Mount&Blade II: Bannerlord Developer Blog 3 - Unexpected Parties

ThegnAnsgar said:
    Antar said:
    Let me quote myself:

Antar said:
    ...the whole concept of duel wielding is an unnecessary waste of time for the time range Bannerlord is in. Notice I said time range, because the Mount and Blade series is not really in a specific point of time. Duel wielding sword and dagger was used mostly in the Renaissance era and duel wielding sword and sword was mostly used in dueling/fencing, also in the Renaissance...

Except dual wielding swords is also mentioned in Viking sagas and other period accounts of the early medieval era.

Please, just no. Viking swords have rather clunky handles and would be hard to use for fluid motions needed for actual dual wielding. Axes on the other hand could be used and that is what most vikings used. The Viking Sagas are often fiction based around real events so take it with a cup of salt.
  6. Mount&Blade II: Bannerlord Developer Blog 3 - Unexpected Parties

Crille said:
    For all who oppose what I said about nords and germanics/celtics: I could just extend their arguments to include my prior statement of japanese and vietnamese

Ridicule of opposition: Japanese are of the same lineage/language/cultural tree as vietnamese so in a sort.. Samurais are vietnamese..

Edit: ''Cultural''

The Japanese was for the most part isolated throughout their feudal period so try again. Not hating on it, but at least try to use a proper comparison. And the Japanese are closer to the Chinese and the Koreans.
  7. Mount&Blade II: Bannerlord Developer Blog 3 - Unexpected Parties

SBolshevik said:
    Crille said:
    I approve of that idea, as long as nords/viking is something you can be or join. I don't like the concept of ''replacing'' the nords from warband with some kind of germanic/celtic thing, thats like replacing japanese with vietnamese.
    Because the Norse weren't Germanic. :razz:
    Though the Norse are of Germanic descendant, they are not Germanic. Their language are of the Germanic branch of our wonderful tree of languages(Was always how we were thought about it in school.) But the vikings/Norse were not of direct Germanic descendant as Scandinavia had been populated for a few thousand years since the dark ages. But on that note one could say that the Vikings were of Germanic descendant.

Adorno said:
    Sounds like nitpicking now.
    I believe it's generally accepted that Scandinavians are culturally related to the Germanic peoples.

"Scandinavia[a] is a historical and cultural-linguistic region in Northern Europe characterized by a common ethno-cultural Germanic heritage and related languages that includes the three kingdoms of Denmark, Norway, and Sweden"
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scandinavia

Only stern nationalists would try to distinguish Scandinavia from 'Germania' this early in history.
    How much about them were the same trough the dark ages and the Viking age? Basics of their language and religion? Personally I must say that Scandinavia do not really have Nationalism except the Defense leages but lets leave those out of this. We rather have like Meevar says, Nordicism or Scandinavism. Nationalism to our region and would want a new Kalmar Union.

Meevar the Mighty said:
    I think the opposite is true on this one, see Nordicism.

Only people trying to overemphasize the Nordic aspect of German heritage for whatever bizarre agenda would call Scandinavians "Germanic" or Germans "Nordic".

Before the Scandinavian migrations in the La Tène period, there were no "Germanic" people.

Edit: Apparently this is too contentious for this particular thread. I apologise for my part.
    I must say that La Tene was familiar but not entirely recognizable. But what does it have to do with Garmania or Scandinavia?

ThegnAnsgar said:
    zmogusnr1 said:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJBEDxh0RQw

I felt like the dual wielders need to watch this.  :neutral:

And I think the anti duel wielders should watch this (just to know both sides). Matt Easton is quite a competent swordsman and student of history. The entire Schola Gladiatoria youtube channel (and their forum) in general is very awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZNZyhNFSaE
    As stated numerous times, a skilled dual wielder can, note that can be useful in small scale combat. But not in an en mass combat that this game is loved for.

And if added it would have to be limited to short sword in one hand and dagger in the other or only daggers.
  8. Mount&Blade II: Bannerlord Developer Blog 3 - Unexpected Parties

Mocha Mike said:
    neo444604 said:
    These preview pictures are looking awesome! There are some things I'm hoping they'll add to the game, some are obvious, here are some.

1. More siege ladders: I'm tired of waiting my entire army going up a single ladder, I mean it takes forever just to get them up, it's especially annoying when they try to push you off. So in bannerlord I'm hoping in siege battles they'll put at least 3-4 ladders?

2:Spears with an high thrust and low thrust: No much to explain here, but it's really hard to hit enemies with a shield and only one attack, that is the low thrust, so adding high thrust will help it a lot.

3:Extra or more equipment slot for character: I feel like arrows should at least have another slot for their own, so that way you still have more room to put your melee weapons in or an extra shield.

Those aren't all things I wish to see in bannerlord, but those are my main three.

I strongly agree with your first and third suggestions: getting pushed of ladders by your own soldiers is so annoying.
    I reckon you should be allowed to equip an extra quiver of arrows and maybe an extra shortsword on your HORSE, when you go into battle, as a backup if you have a horse with you.
    I agree with you as well Neo, but as I don't use spears I can't comment on that one. But eh no, you can only carry so much. That is the point of those slots. But Mocha, I think maybe the lower three boxes may be that.

Rallix said:
    What I know so far.
    Bannerlord_10.jpg

Bannerlord_12.jpg

BannerlordArtwork_22.jpg

BannerlordArtwork_14.png

BannerlordArtwork_19.jpg

BannerlordArtwork_20.jpg

BannerlordArtwork_21.jpg

Bannerlord_06.jpg

twdd_02_battanian_town_noon.jpg
    Bannerlord_11.jpg

Bannerlord_09.jpg

BannerlordArtwork_13.jpg

Bannerlord_07.jpg

twdd_02_khuzait_village_brush.jpg

Bannerlord_01.jpg

Bannerlord_02.jpg

Bannerlord_05.jpg

Bannerlord_04.jpg

Bannerlord_03.jpg

BannerlordArtwork_15.jpg

Possibly Swadian town. Maybe Rhodok.
    Bannerlord_08.jpg

Western European looking settlement and castle. Probably Swadian.
    BannerlordArtwork_23.jpg

Fortification, Western.
    BannerlordArtwork_16.jpg

BannerlordArtwork_18.jpg

I think maybe those factions may be the names of the invaders at the time. But I think I'll like the Battanians myself.

9. Mount&Blade II: Bannerlord Developer Blog 3 - Unexpected Parties

deuxhero said:
    I really hope the list design does not stay that way (or it's customizable, preferably on the list menu so you can change it as needed). A single column gets horrible to navigate when you have a mouse (even console games do better with a grid than a single line or column), especially as it gets bigger (at least it isn't HUGE so it only shows 5 items at once like SOME UIs I know of...). The original/Warband's 3 column menu works better.

Also, the "4 weapons" system instead of weight or size based makes smaller weapons useless, hope that's a placeholder too.

Still, I'm looking forward to more info, it's those are things I'm not impressed by.
    Would you carry two hundred daggers instead if you could? 4 slots are fine. 6 as a max if it were to be increased. But as always, balance need to come before realism, even in this game.
    MadVader said:
    Rings and a ****.

Seriously, I hope they are for moddable custom gear.

For rings, necklaces and other jewelry? Could work. OVerall it would be nice for those that want to look like an awesome merchant that rake in tons of denars each week. On that note, any chance that you overhaul the merchant system so that you know it would be more fun. Starting out as a caravan owner and over time maybe you can open a store in a city or village. Then that store will generate a set amount based on the village or town's properity level. And over time you may start more and more stores and expand those you have. That would be great, a real reason to try that way of life. At least I think that is something that could be a nice addition as I feel there is no reason to do that right now.
  10. Mount&Blade II: Bannerlord Developer Blog 3 - Unexpected Parties

Willhelm said:
    Rydmer said:
    stoffe95 said:
    Hello, Can you please make dual-weilding able in the new M&B !

Just no, very very few people ever did that, and do you know why we have not a single well known person that did that. It was not an effective way of fighting.

That said, what are those three smaller gray boxes for? And overall the shoulder slot and horse armor slot, that will be nice. That and I must say that as of right now I prefer the old inventory system, but I'm sure I'll be swayed over time.

Well.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parrying_dagger
    But obviously 2 giant swords is far fetched.

Well I don't really count daggers and knives that much. There is also something called a sword breaker, but I don't know if it was actually used in combat and such. All I know is that if I use a One and a half hand sword and my shield breaks I'll Be lbe preoccupied with combat to draw a dagger until I get away from the cluster of enemy troops I am in. And on that note, please say that they don't walk in a single file line after you in BannerLords? That would add a lot more challenge when trying to escape.

But also I wasn't speaking of two bastard swords, even two short swords used together require some amount of skill.
  11. Mount&Blade II: Bannerlord Developer Blog 3 - Unexpected Parties

stoffe95 said:
    Hello, Can you please make dual-weilding able in the new M&B !

Just no, very very few people ever did that, and do you know why we have not a single well known person that did that. It was not an effective way of fighting.

That said, what are those three smaller gray boxes for? And overall the shoulder slot and horse armor slot, that will be nice. That and I must say that as of right now I prefer the old inventory system, but I'm sure I'll be swayed over time.
  12. Mount&Blade II: Bannerlord Developer Blog 2 - Painted Plants

joegy said:
    Well check the image names :wink:

twdd_02_battanian_town

and

twdd_02_khuzait_village

Two new factions or just town/village names?

Discuss!

OK I rarely go snooping like that, but good find. I hope that they add in two new faction, and dear I say, sea travel and naval combat in native? I mean its been modded in since M&B1. I rarely find one that have that in that I like to play(I hate muskets, just detracts from the game itself in my opinion)

Overall I hope that they don't redo the map too much. At least not the colors for the factions that was there from before. But time will tell won't it. 
  13. Mount&Blade II: Bannerlord Developer Blog 1 - Hairy Artists

Bravado said:
    I wish archery isn't as overpowered in bannerlord.  My suggestion is that encumbrance should sharply decrease accuracy, damage and rate of fire of archery.  No Legolas decked out in lordly suits of full plate armor.

Premade faction troops don't abuse archery (I rarely see them wearing more than chainmail), but I have a problem with archers decked out in a suit of the heaviest full plate armor.  It's unrealistic because archers should have a realistic melee handicap... which my customized companions/troops don't have.  They'll destroy you at max range or in melee.
    It takes forever to level up to the point of easily head shot someone from across the battlefield. I don't want to spend twice that time to get to that point.
  14. Mount&Blade II: Bannerlord Developer Blog 2 - Painted Plants

Adley_BR said:
    "Battanian Town"? What kind of civilization is that? I'm curious  :roll:

Where did they say that? I didn't see it at least.

And great post. Really makes me want to get back into the games soon. But alas, I need a new computer.
  15. Mount&Blade II: Bannerlord Developer Blog 1 - Hairy Artists

Captain Lust said:
    Commissar7 said:
    And here I am, dozens of hours of playing at Warband, still clicking on horseback ... throw me rocks -_-"
    Dozens...

cute.
    If I had M&B added onto steam from the get go instead of 4 years down the line I think I would have close to 800 hours just on that one, but then again I'm just under 200 hours on Warband and I'm sure I've played it more so I'm not so sure anymore.
    ejnomad said:
    Nope. Pretty sure he opened an entire new board just for this blog.
    Closing in onto 2 weeks later, I want another update before Christmas. Just so I don't get withdrawals or something.
Back
Top Bottom