Recent content by Richard Shru

1. Richard Shru

Crusader Kings 2

Wheem said:
    Ahh, I don't have SoI yet so I've not played any of the Muslim factions. Most of the European mercenary bands (at least, those I've been able to hire while playing Ireland and Wales - and the Welsh have access to more than the Irish for some reason) don't really have all that much light cavalry. I've got a couple of the first rank stables built in my current game, which is +45 light cav, but I've mostly been focusing on building things to improve my economy and archers. I don't know exactly how the combat works in CK2, but have read claims that light cavalry makes a huge difference in the pursuit phase of combat, and potentially does well in the skirmish phase too.

Historically the Celtic-denominations of kingdoms (Wales, Ireland, Scotland, etc.) didn't have access to a lot of heavy cavalry. Even around the time of William Wallace they were still mostly using light cavalry. The English, possibly because of their Norman ancestry were the ones who made extensive use of them as impromptu tanks on the battlefield. This could be playing a part in why they've got a limited amount of access for you, but as I still haven't figured out all of the recruiting formula's and such for mercs, I don't know.

Also, anyone play multiplayer on this? I'd love to get in a game.
  2. Richard Shru

Europa Universalis III

Out of curiosity, anyone here play the multilayer? Haven't had a decent game in ages, and after playing for a few years the singleplayer just becomes a tad boring because of the lack of suprise or originality (i.e. players are much less 1 dimensional in politics).
  3. Richard Shru

Screenshots

Sounds like any other server. I've hosted San Andreas Multiplayer, Multi Theft Auto, Persistent World, WoW, and a couple of other servers. Though this I'd probably just do for recreation.

I know there was a special guide for hosting Persistent World servers. Is there a similar one for The Wild Wind?
  4. Richard Shru

Screenshots

And I take it there's no North American servers? :S

What are the requirements for a server? I might be able to set up a dedicated box
  5. Richard Shru

Screenshots

What server are those screenshots from out of curiousity? I've only seen a russian TWW server online, and it seems unpopulated.
  6. Richard Shru

Team Deathmatch ? ... bringing magic back to PW

Legolan said:
    Richard Shru said:
    NOVICIUS said:
    Stephanie said:
    To be honest the majority of the PW players are light RPers (i have seen this a lot in EU because when i got EU i don't get in depth RPs but I do get fun ones that seem too be more fighting oriented)

And a very small amount are medium in comparison too the light and i have only seen 3 hardcore RPers on any server

So my point here is that you have to cater to the light RP groups as well unless you want too have a huge map with only 14 people in it (Unless you made a small town scene with all building enterable which i would be all for :grin:)

Sorry I missed this earlier...

This is very good point

I can imagine that this majority would anjoy a lot PW Deathmatch with the hint of RP in it. V3 was all about deathmatching but it was also a lot of fun with RP needed to create/organise faction. Now we have factions/teams allready organised by Vornne but this not stopping players from being creative and try to find some goals/policy/story behind faction.

Maybe it would be good idea to freeze (if possible) faction names for a week in which they can find the winner of TDM. On next week new ideas and new faction can be brought to the game. Just wondering...

[..it could be like on Formula1 race: team would face in pre-battle to get their poll position in the map for a week]

In full honesty...this mod is practically 2 lines of code (figuratively speaking)

dont say that to a programer,lol, we think you mean coding,lol...

=p

To rephrase then, the similarities outweigh the differences (in fact, in full honesty the only difference between this and a normal San Andreas Multiplayer server is the clunky money system, lack of invite only factions, and rather dyslexic manner of storing equipment).
  7. Richard Shru

NOVICIUS said:
    Stephanie said:
    To be honest the majority of the PW players are light RPers (i have seen this a lot in EU because when i got EU i don't get in depth RPs but I do get fun ones that seem too be more fighting oriented)

And a very small amount are medium in comparison too the light and i have only seen 3 hardcore RPers on any server

So my point here is that you have to cater to the light RP groups as well unless you want too have a huge map with only 14 people in it (Unless you made a small town scene with all building enterable which i would be all for :grin:)

Sorry I missed this earlier...

This is very good point

I can imagine that this majority would anjoy a lot PW Deathmatch with the hint of RP in it. V3 was all about deathmatching but it was also a lot of fun with RP needed to create/organise faction. Now we have factions/teams allready organised by Vornne but this not stopping players from being creative and try to find some goals/policy/story behind faction.

Maybe it would be good idea to freeze (if possible) faction names for a week in which they can find the winner of TDM. On next week new ideas and new faction can be brought to the game. Just wondering...

[..it could be like on Formula1 race: team would face in pre-battle to get their poll position in the map for a week]

In full honesty...this mod is practically 2 lines of code (figuratively speaking) from any of the other RP server's I've either created, used, or played in other games which, quite frankly, could at least break 200 players reliably.

If you want to senselessly go around killing eachother for that, they already have a mode for it. Its called Native.

However, this is not to say that there aren't degrees of roleplay that can be catered to. All I'm saying is that you can't expect to lump them all into one server and not have problems.

And as for attempting to create an alternate reality in game, that's rather the point of roleplaying =p. To live out a character in a set world (fictional or semi-fictional usually), and then interacting with other character's there on a normal basis.
  8. Richard Shru

PW becoming an RP darker place.

Cleric_Bayard_Of_Gotland said:
    Oh holy damn this thread Grew.  Sadly yes I wasn't around for 3.5 but it sounds like PW changes quite a bit in short amounts of time.  Funny how Splintert is absolutely right, if the sect left John, he would be no more than a man with... well nothing really.  Nice discussions gents.

Well, numerically speaking that's correct right now because I'm still trying to get things organized =p. What can I say, out of my list of priorities (which include:

1) My 5th Semester of College, and first one full time
    2) My own company that is currently trying to buy up the very server I play on =p
    3) Three additional companies that I am involved as either a co-owner or top executive position
    4) And a few things I don't care to mention here =p)

The Empire roleplay kinda sinks somewhat lower =p.

Not to say I'm not trying, but recent events have made things somewhat harder xD. On the Splintert note however, would it substantially reduce my numbers? Of course =p. Would it leave me defenceless? I still have several more bodies to hide behind, as Bayard knows =p (neither of the guys I had brutalize him were with Splintert xD. Glad that madness is over though).

And as to how active Splintert and his unit are...I suppose we'll find out on Saturday whether or not the list of names he's given me has any merit. I do have faith in the guy though =p
  9. Richard Shru

Serann said:
    Actually, high player counts is exactly what we don't want on NA, because it attracts the people who do not RP.

And believe it or not: yes, no RP does eventually lead to random sword swinging.
    For example: we had the "French Kingdom" on NA, an average faction of EU. And of course, they didn't fit in.
    There were no wars for them and so, they quickly became an annoyence and started randoming.

So it seems that yes, no RP does in fact mean randoming, if the person is stuck in a "full" RP server

Well, glad to see we're in agreement =p.

In my opinion, in addition to just having RPer's and Non Rper's, there's also multiple levels of roleplay that you need to cater to. For example, I'm a moderate roleplayer. I like to go into detail, I engage in long IC conversations, and enjoy politics, intrigue, etc. However, I still enjoy nonsensical or rather far-fetched roleplay (when its done well), such as Vampires, Werewolves, etc. I'm fairly open minded. Some things that would support this game mechanics wise are persistent cash and item inventories, persistent invite-only factions, etc.

Now, there's also Light roleplay, which is essentially just the politics and intrigue occasionally mixed in with many, many battles, taxes, etc. You could call it slightly more roleplay than the alleged 'roots' of the mod. An example of this would be a faction in game called "The Werewolves", who go around howling and such, trying to rob people, and negotiating with other kingdoms. They won't sit down for a conversation for more than 15 minutes and experiance essentially 'memory loss' every few hours when their character takes on a new role (such as switching from a Werewolf to a Vampire because of bordom). Some game mechanics that would help this would be things like increased weapons, easier means of amassing money, and other things that lead to action far more quickly.

Then there's Heavy roleplay, which is a step above medium roleplay. This is where you have players that attempt to realistically create/recreate a world with very specific codes of conduct (for example, there would be no tolerance of Islam in Christian lands, or Serfs would be killed/tortured for failing to show proper respect to a higher member of society). Game mechanics that would help them out would be in game limitations for factions (for example, if you're apart of an ethnic muslim faction, you couldn't use European armor or weapons even if they were dropped), and other such things to promote realism.

Finally, there's non roleplayers. This is an easy demographic to track, since they don't assume an alternate identity, and simply set out to enjoy themselves (usually by means of instant gratification methods, like fighting, or amassing large amounts of money). An example of this would be a faction called "Blackwater USA", which does nothing other than rob people, fight, and kill for the hell of it. Another example would be randomers (in the more extreme end of this polarization). Game mechanics that would help them out would be things like balanced weapons, additional ways to make money and purchase different goods, etc.

With all that said...

I think that the best approach is not to have one server catering to all of these demographics, as it leads to frustration and a high turnover rate for players. Instead, by focusing on a niche, and having competitively hosted servers, you can accommodate the play-styles of each demographic individually.
  10. Richard Shru

Splintert said:
    Role play is too broad. Because of the way the community titles things, 'randoming' 'rdm' 'deathmatching' versus 'role play' and 'rp', not role playing simply means swinging your sword at everything that moves. Of course people are going to vote for not-swinging your sword at everything.

The poll is inherently imbalanced.

However, the forum community wants role play. That's how it's been since RCC v2 and that's how it always will be. One of RCC's hardest jobs was to convince the forum users that they aren't the only voice of the mod.

tl;dr (it's not even that long): Forum community != game community.

What are you, Nixon making the Silent Majority argument? =p

That's an inherently dangerous philosophy to follow, and I'll tell you why. The forum-goer's are the ones who put the time and effort into communicating their opinions on these subjects to the developers and other such officials. To disregard them as a minority to the actual game population means your forums becomes inactive...

Forums are one of the first things people look at before playing a game.

Furthermore, forum goers represent your active and dedicated user base. Lose them, and you're potentially left with nothing other than a smaller population of mercenary thinking players who join for a few hours and leave.

Finally, I'd like to see one statistic that says that even the in game population disagrees with the contents of this poll =p. And I also don't see how its biased in phrasing, as its litterally 2 words.
  11. Richard Shru

Serann said:
    The matter of the fact is, that the mod can't really change people.

PW mod offers war for war people like splint and RP for serious RPers like Emperor John *Snort* Ahem, sorry, but Emperor John sounds... incredibly silly, was it supposed to be like that?

Either way, the RP community has found a mod to RP in and it will, no matter how warlike the rest is. If the servers would become TDM, the RPers would move on to a different mod, or a different server, if one still offered idle RP. The point being: You don't need to find the right options for the people, the people will eventually find you.

Sure, they will ***** and complain, like I like to do, but eventually, everyone will go where he belongs.
    And that's why I'm on NA, where factions are rare and TDM doesn't happen nearly as often as EU.

Eu, is basicly, a TDM server. 90% of the people couldn't RP to save their life, and quite frankly, I can't fathom why the last 10% are still there, to be honest.
    So, if you are going to radicly split the methods of playing into RP and TDM, I would say: we have that now.

Actually, the amusing part is its only silly if you metagame the name =p. In every introduction, he says his full name:

Emperor Johanius Tiberius Caldaria

If you're wondering if I misspelled calraida, then yes I did, I just like the sound of it now though so I decided to keep it for my character as a small twist =p. Among friends, he's known as John though.

But back on topic...

I'm not advocating for greater TDM fests, quite the opposite actually o_O. I'm also not saying I'd remove every weapon in the game and have us all chat like fine dapper gentlemen over tea and crumpets while a single log burns in the fireplace of our elaborate east-side mansion with the butler running in silver platter's of finger sandwiches.

I agree that there has to be a combination, I just don't think the current world view is consistent with what I believe to be ideal. For example...I have a growing army of bannermen flocking to my cause. I pay them well, 25k a day paid at the end of every week. I meet face to face to interact with my officers, and discuss plans. I meet with my financial backers and speak with them as well. I also do not rp perma death if my character dies, since I reserve the right to determine when he does or doesn't get killed off (all deaths I treat as serious concussions or 'hospitalizations'). In any case though...when it comes time to fight, especially in large scale unit-on-unit or army-on-army battles, I don't describe every aspect of my character's actions, but instead use the game mechanics to play it out.

And I dare say, the battles you achieve when you have a core of reliable, persistent supports are LARGER, and thus MORE entertaining, then simply resource based random TDM in a political scape that changes every few hours.

But, this is all simply my opinion. I just feel the need to point out though that trying to move to a less roleplay oriented modification is clearly not in line with the majority opinion of this poll (which is overwhelmingly in support of Roleplay). And since a core aspect of good roleplay is persistence, I feel the numbers show the common denominator of this equation.
  12. Richard Shru

Splintert said:
    Then quit trying to be persistent. Play the game for what it is, not what you're trying to form it to be. Pwmod is not clay, it is a concrete foundation. Role play cannot be persistent and therefore shouldn't be.

My solution to the problem you're facing is to just drop the persistent characters and do what you want to do, when you want to do it. 'Splintert' does not exist in the Pwmod lore. I just use 'Splintert' as a name to be referred as, sometimes I am a mercenary, Lord, or robber. It all depends on what I want to do for that play session. The other solution to the persistence problem is playing off every death as a deathly wound. However, that just becomes humorous as to what your character is able to survive and get back to the battlefield within an hour.

Peaceful role play can exist. Persistence cannot. It is a persistent world, not a persistent universe. Lore and political climates and everything changes rapidly and unless you can think of a good, realistic or even logical reason for it, just play along with it.

The community's idea of Pwmod (aka Persistent World) has warped from a large deathmatch game mode with factions into a crude alternate reality.

Quite simply put, I disagree, and I see no reason to change my paradigm. We've already seen in the numbers that the majority of the poll is roleplay-oriented, so I'm sure that changes to the game to promote greater roleplay are appealing to the clear, numerical majority. Better quality roleplay requires some small level of consistency, or persistence. As such, I contend that the problems I laid out before are just that...problems. Not the concrete foundation to a game, but problems hindering the current mod from being all it can be.
  13. Richard Shru

Splintert said:
    Once again, Nov, you've gone to both extremes. There is a place for both styles of play 'TDM' and 'RP' (Red and Green). From my point of view, 75% of role play should lead into a TDM. This is because people get bored. Besides, it's a wargame, and wargames have war. The remaining 25% of role play (Green) is usually the peaceful roles like tavern role play and dumb humor.

In order to achieve that...
    Rules should only enforce hard, definite actions. An example would be the first PW no-killing zone in the town armoury on Oceania. You either killed someone in the armoury or you didn't, no questions asked. Rules that try to enforce degrees of role play are considerably harder to create without loopholes and are extremely subjective to how the admin thinks things should be done. Such examples include "legitimate reason for war". What constitutes legitimate? Subjective rules leave room for favoritism and unfair enforcement of rules.

There's no need to have solely red or green playstyles, but a mix of both. Oh, the magic you're talking about is this: dumb humor

I personally find myself of the opinion that taking a more organic approach to things is just more suiting. TDM and Roleplay are not mutually exclusive. The problem is that there's no "Persistence" in "Persistent World":

1) You start a faction, you put alot of money into it, and you attempt to recruit people. No matter what you do, or how hard you try, that faction is going to die out before the day is over. And this leads to situations where the entire world of politics changes drastically from day 1 to day 2.

2) The entire economy is at best unstable, because there can't be any retention of items or money to any real extent (when logging out or crashing costs me 20% of my current net worth, notwithstanding the loss of 20-30k gear, it gets expensive to play PW). Further, because factions last on average barely 2 hours, and the entire world is so overtly hostile, its impossible to set up even a stable local economy for one faction (you need to focus more on fighting, because if you don't then your own men get bored, and you lose them, so good luck even trying to assign people to guard duty on a group of serfs).

3) The entire world is hostile in game. Due to concepts like NLR (which, if strictly enforced, pretty much ensure you will go through 1-2 of your in game relatives per day), you cannot have any reliable roleplay continue past a few hours.

4) Due to the level of even greater agressiveness from the individuals who don't roleplay in any regard, you find yourself paying roughly 1/3 of your earnings for even an hour of mining in order to avoid death (possibly even more simply due to being killed).

5) Due to server resets and map changes, the entire world which was already barely persistent suddenly gets either a clean wipe (restarting the process from scratch), or a complete region-shift which rather kills any chance for having persistent kingdoms, systems, etc.
  14. Richard Shru

The Empire of Caldaria (North American PW Server) (Imperial Guard Recruiting)

Updated thread with new Imperial Guard details and reorganized feudal system.
  15. Richard Shru

The Empire of Caldaria (North American PW Server) (Imperial Guard Recruiting)

TARDIS said:
    I'm pretty sure I installed a lady of the court in your little empire there, but I don't think she ever came back...

Last time 'think' I saw her she was randomly running around with an axe and screaming jibberish o_O. My guy just casually just kept walking....

If you do see her though let her know I'm more than happy to have you both on board if you are still interested.
Back
Top Bottom