Recent content by PPQ_Purple

1. PPQ_Purple

Info inquiry

Don't bump dead mods.
  2. PPQ_Purple

Troops specializing in blunt weapon?

Companions are your friend. Just saying.
  3. PPQ_Purple

A Plea to Gabrilduro

He ain't the only one. He's just the last one that hasn't given up yet.
  4. PPQ_Purple

Most up-to-date version atm?

Personally my favorite is just the base 3.0 without any mods. Sugoroku is also perfectly stable and functional.
    I can't vouch for anything else.
  5. PPQ_Purple

Imjin War?

Gaedheal said:
    I recently discovered a mod for Shogun 2 Total War which incorporated Korea and China into the map and added various factions such as Joseon, Jurchen tribes and the Ming dynasty (among others). This (combined with my already pre-existing knowledge on the subject) made me wonder on whether or not it'd be possible or feasible to make something like a Gekokujo submod that included Korea and China and their relevant factions and units into the game so that there could be something like an Imjin War for Warband as that could be cool and awesome to see.

What do ye think?
    I think it wouldn't work.
    The map of Japan we have is already tiny to the point where it can be immersion breaking. I mean, seriously, imagine crossing Japan in a week on horseback. And the map is already huge by warband standards. Korea is just as large at least. And China... well it's bloody China.

I don't really see how that would be playable.
  6. PPQ_Purple

A comprehensive list of everything that is wrong with this mod & how to fix it

Whilst I understand your desire to criticize, this mod is very special in the way it exists and honestly I think it it requires a preface. It's not your average gameplay mod. And people coming to it do need to realize this. Otherwise they might leave disappointed or worse yet avoid it. And that is unfair.

In this context this thread, such as it is still serves that purpose. What follows is my contribution to it with hopes that it will help people understand.

I would rank this mod a 0 and 10 out of 10, at once.

Confused? Well don't worry. It's very simple really. This mod is an unfinished semi playable mess. However at the same time this mod is an amazing incredible fantastic piece of work that brings a smile to my face just thinking about it. Clear yet?

No? Well basically if you are looking for a mod to play a proper campaign playhtrough than this mod is not for you. The map is broken, the factions are questionable, half the guns do indeed go obsolete before the game even starts and we lack Canada and that's just the big obvious problems that you notice in the first 15 minutes.

However, if you are capable of getting past that the mod offers fantastic gunplay, easily better than most actual shooter games, great music and an opportunity to just let loose and have fun. So its a fantastic game to play if you just want to spend several hours running around the map shooting at things.

So as a M&B warband campaign mod it's like a 1, but as a fun and incredibly enjoyable shooter game its a 20/10.

My advice playing it is to cheat your self into enough cash to buy an 1860 lever action, get a small party and start raiding villages in Mexico. Doing that has literally consumed tens of hours of my life and I have no regrets.

7. PPQ_Purple

Modifications troop equipment are... not working. HELP PLS

Did you make sure to start a new game each time you make a modification? Remember, edits you make to troops and their gear mid game won't show up in that game, only when you start over.
  8. PPQ_Purple

FAQ and Troubleshooting

How do I export materials from a .brf file? I can get the OBJ out but it does not contain the material data.
  9. PPQ_Purple

A Japanese learning tool?

Either way you have two problems:
    1. The guy that made the mod is no longer active. So he ain't making anything any more.
    2. Even if he was active it is unlikely that he is a qualified language instructor. And you need someone like that to make any sort of learning tool.
  10. PPQ_Purple

Gekokujo - Daimyo Edition (Updated w/moddb link)

Alemismun said:
    - Workshop or autoupdate.exe?
    Why would you want either? Is having a regular zip file not infinitely superior? I personally think it is.
  11. PPQ_Purple

Gekokujo: Submods (Announce, Release, Comment, and Suggest)

Innocent Flower said:
    I feel that looters are a fair bit weaker than their native counterparts.  I like the rebel factions, there's just one that has no ranged at all thus is far, far easier to kill off because they just run slowly at you with spears and provide the easiest headshots. I think variety could do with some improving (like if there were some folk with horses, were entirely ranged, or something as such, points could be scored)
    I understand what you are saying. But hear me out.

The thing about the bandit factions is that as easy or hard they are to defeat individually when you actually look at them you can see a tiered progression of capability. And a very balanced one at that.

Playing up from just level 1, no companions no equipment to high level, good gear ready to join a faction you can see how each of them is designed to offer you with an appropriate challenge to let you grind up the prerequisite gold, gear and XP to advance. And they do this really well. That's why I newer play freelancer with this mod. It's just not necessary.

Now the consequence of this is of course that when you do become a lord in the end and you do get good gear and a strong army they are basically pushovers. But I feel that this is a worthwhile tradeoff.

it's not just canons. There's grenades, japan made wonderful use of fire rockets (though i've never seen anything like them in warband so I don't know how doable they are).
    If at all I say do it. I mean, seriously. Although I get a sneeking suspicion they'll end up as useless as explosives are in every other mod I've tried.

As for horse archers, I recall reading something that suggested that lancers were actually something that came up during the sengoku period, now I don't know if that's when they replaced mounted archers, or if there was a significant period where people thought horse archers were for nothing, but it does raise some questions. Furthermore, I still would think that mounted ranged units would be somewhat relevant in an army, mobile missile troops are a valuable role, and they sure as **** couldn't do that with guns in this period.
    1. It is my understanding that horse archers went out of favor long before the sengoku period.

2. Mounted archers need not be horse archers. You can also have mounted archers who act as dragoons. As in, they ride horses for mobility but dismount to shoot. The English famously used these during the middle ages and in particular the Hundred Years War period. And that you can do with guns.

Plus, if you've ever actually used horse archers in this game you'll know their AI sucks. And you basically have to use them as dragoons anyway.

However the question here really shouldn't be if it can be done but if the Japanese did it. And that brings us back to #1.

First off, I'm not wrong. Yes, samurai trained in gunnery and such, but the usefulness of guns was commonly debated before nobunaga showed them how to wreck enemies.
    But do be aware that the mod is in fact set in the period where Nobunaga was showing everyone this. T'would be kind of stupid to not let us do it as well.

The biggest merit of the gun, other than how terrifying they were, was that they needed much less training to use. For ashigaru, this was great, since they were cheap troops (I suspect the biggest reason why ashigaru had mixed bows and guns was because of supply, or perhaps veterans getting good enough to compete with noob gunmen) For samurai, they were a warrior class with a land's income, so training time was far less of an issue.  Thus they had the choice between hundreds of hours for an accurate weapon that fired several times faster, or tens of hours to work out the best matchlock you could afford, which was less accurate (guns of the time) and slow, but meant you'd have a better time taking cover or more time to learn other weapons.  Also guns are exciting, look at america. But the bottom line is, if I wanted dedicated missile troops, historically I would've prefered ashigaru gunners and samurai archers, but I wouldn't scoff at samurai gunners.
    To be perfectly honest I feel that the whole issue with balance in this mod is really just that there is too little incentive to use ashigaru if you can afford not to. And when you combine that with the fact that you can have a core of unkillable elite samurai grade companions that you can customize and equip it becomes too easy to just mow down large enemy armies with a small elite band.

Not sure how that would be addressed though.

I did a little myself, and I couldn't find much. I could find a good deal of stuff already in the game, and that their sword handles were often more elaborate than the samurai ones (I wouldn't hold that against the mod, warband ain't great with high polly)
    Overall that's what stopped me in the end. Not enough material to really make the Ezo play unique and different from the rest of Japan. I still have the half finished project files for my plot idea which was basically to let the player kickstart an Ezo rebellion, crown him self king of the Ezo and try to conquer Japan. Maybe someone can pick up on that.
  12. PPQ_Purple

Don't tell me you want to make the game even more randomly war like. Like, there is already far too little peace.
  13. PPQ_Purple

Innocent Flower said:
    I've played a good amount of 3 and 3.1, far more than suguroku and daimyo edition, which have some improvements but overall I can't stand them.
    Personally I dislike the submods because they change everything in the wrong ways. So I hope you don't mind if I provide some counter points. Let him figure out where he stands from that.

Bandits are laughable. Looters are probably a little too weak and their choice of clothes doesn't seem correct. Still, I've positively delighted that nobody's throwing kunai.  The peasant man troop tree sucks a bit too hard. Agents are a waist of space. Rebel wise, there's one group where nobody has ranged and they're really easy pickings, but they're mostly fine.
    As far as bandits are concerned I find the regular 3.0 bandits to be perfectly fine.

Yes, the looters are a joke. But looters are supposed to be a joke. They are literally the training wheels bandit faction. And the other rebel factions like monk rebels, kinai rebels etc. are perfectly competent and appear in large enough numbers.

More importantly they are very well balanced for grinding XP and equipment at various character levels.

No horse archers and no explosives are quite disappointing (have you played Suvarnabhumi Mahayuth), given both where common in the period.  I'm a little disappointed that so many companions have power throw because it's a useless stat.
    I'll give you explosives. Like I would love to see cannon introduced into the mod somehow.

But as far as horse archers are concerned they really weren't used that much in the period. I don't know if they were used at all in fact. Personally I like the approach that suguroku does with them by making them unique units for the female unit tree. It adds them in (because let's face it history or not cool is cool) but does so in a sideways fashion.

It seems very obvious to me that you want samurai archers and ashigaru gunners, which is basically how history went, but I feel like there could be some improvement there. Maybe Samurai gunners should get better (nanban?) armour or a better melee to encourage a switch. Meanwhile, ashigaru archers... Oh why would anyone ever use such wretched things. I dislike the random chance of gun or archer, it's almost like units that sometimes have horses in native, but other than price (not a very realistic thing) I don't see any incentive that would have anyone grab ashigaru archers, apart from maybe otherwise better gear/melee (again, probably not a very historical thing, and you'd think gunners would have it easier because they're not investing in power draw) 
    You do realize that that everything you have said about history here is wrong?
    In the period the Japanese did in fact use mixed archer and gun formations of ashigaru. And Samurai did in fact practice both archery and gunnery.

Gameplay balance of course are different story entirely. And yes, there needs to be more incentive to pick up ashigaru over samurai. But to say that the current setup is unhistorical is just false.

Ezo and Monks could do with a lot of expansion. Sohei are the unsung badasses of fuedal japan.
    Ronin roaming with boken and robes is a weird choice, because ronin could find a lot of employment during the period. Those inspiring movies are edo period, correct?
    True. Personally I had some big projects on that before giving it up so I definitively agree that they should be expanded. The Ezo weren't just a band of random tribesmen but a proper tribal nation that at times threaten to conquer Japan. In fact, the two major heroes of those wars are represented in the game through the two leaders of the tribal villages. So like google up their names.

Sadly in my research I could find any data on just what their armies should look like.

To be perfectly honest what I'd love to see is a version of his mod with no gameplay changes, just the fantastic graphics and performance upgrades. And than let people plug in their favorite submod on top of that. Or even a balance submod of his own. But like let me have the beauty with the regular 3.0.
  14. PPQ_Purple

Personally I find them to be perfectly balanced in every way other than perhaps that the samurai are a bit too easy to get and support. The original mod maker had the idea of having each of them take up 2 slots instead of one and I think that this would basically do the job.
  15. PPQ_Purple

Gekokujo Vanilla Enhanced

roal.yr said:
    Well, I am not focusing on performance at 100%, I am focusing at making the performance and visuals in an appealing balance. And since Dx7 allows for greater performance, I am focusing at making Dx7 rendering pretty.

On a side note - I had tried making custom grass, but it looked too ugly, so I picked up original Gekokujo grass back. I will tweak it instead, cutting some excessive faces off and tweaking UVs. Also, maybe, tweaking the colors too.
    Visuals count as performance in my context.
Back
Top Bottom