Recent content by Apthorpe

1. Apthorpe

Modding Q&A [For Quick Questions and Answers]

Could someone explain why the most current dedicated server files for Native (which are 1.15:cool: did not need to be updated up to 1.168? That is, if you feel so inclined. I'd find it educational at least.  :wink:
  2. Apthorpe

B Tutorial Other How to get WSE working with Steam

That's a really good point. This way is much better! Thanks Sebastian, I'll update the tutorial accordingly.
  3. Apthorpe

Hm, that's unfortunate but it's good to know, and at least there are workarounds. Thanks Sebastian.
  4. Apthorpe

B Tutorial Other How to get WSE working with Steam

Intro This tutorial is for how to get the Warband Script Enhancer (WSE) working with a Steam version of Warband. I'm not an expert with this stuff but I learned a lot from trial and error and, since there wasn't a detailed tutorial for making Steam Warband work with WSE, I figured I might as...
  5. Apthorpe

Is the hardcoded limit for multiplayer events in header_common still 128? Yoshiboy says as much in his tutorial, but it hasn't been edited since early 2011.
  6. Apthorpe

gdwitt said:
    Players on Steam are very resistant to playing off the Steam platform as WSE will require.

K700 said:
    Players just run game with bat file
    "C:\STEAM\steamapps\common\MountBlade Warband\WSELoader.exe" -p .\mb_vanilla_game.exe, not steam menu.

If you users want steam overlay, they can add game link to steam library.
  7. Apthorpe

[WB] Warband Script Enhancer v4.9.5 for 1.174

Isn't the 3 parameter limit for triggers outdated?
  8. Apthorpe

Thanks, that was a fundamental misunderstanding on my part. Here's the corrected code:

test_intersection_check = (
      ti_tab_pressed, 0, 1, #check interval, delay interval, and re-arm interval
      [],
      [
        (try_for_prop_instances, ":a_spi_id", "spr_door_a"),
          (try_for_prop_instances, ":b_spi_id", "spr_door_b"),
            (try_begin),
      (prop_instance_intersects_with_prop_instance, ":a_spi_id", ":b_spi_id"),
      (display_message,"@Obj A is detected to intersect with Obj B.",0xFFFFFFFF),
            (else_try),
      (display_message,"@Obj A is NOT detected to intersect with Obj B.",0xFFFFFFFF),
    (try_end),
          (try_end),
        (try_end),
      ]
    )

Sorry about the weird spacing--I'm not sure how to make it display properly on TWF. Anyway, it still failed to detect the intersection.

I checked and confirmed that prop_instance_intersects_with_prop_instance is part of can_fail_operations.
  9. Apthorpe

Does prop_instance_intersects_with_prop_instance not work? I've attempted to use it with objects that have collision and objects that lack collision, and in both cases it failed to detect when objects were actually intersecting.

For the following code, I placed two doors in a scene and made them clearly intersect, but the result still told me that they were not detected to be intersecting.

Code:
    test_intersection_check = ( 
      ti_tab_pressed, 0, 1, #check interval, delay interval, and re-arm interval
      [],
      [
        (try_for_prop_instances, ":b_spi_id", "spr_door_a"),
          (try_for_prop_instances, ":a_spi_id", "spr_door_b"),
    	    (prop_instance_intersects_with_prop_instance, ":b_spi_id", ":a_spi_id"),
    	    (display_message,"@Obj A is detected to intersect with Obj B.",0xFFFFFFFF),
          (else_try),
    	    (display_message,"@Obj A is NOT detected to intersect with Obj B.",0xFFFFFFFF),
          (try_end),
        (try_end),
      ]
    )
  10. Apthorpe

kalarhan said:
    Test it  :wink:

Well, I did some research, but I was more interested in this question b/c I'm anticipating a lot of call_script use in the future, and I thought it would be a good fact to know. I did review some of the scripts, but not comprehensively. In a post from early July you wrote, "TLDR: only use parameters if you need them . . .  they are optional," and this squared up w/ the other stuff I read about generally preferring informal to formal params for scripts.
  11. Apthorpe

What is the maximum number of parameters you can pass with call_script?
  12. Apthorpe

For the present I was going to ignore it--that's pretty much the plan until I get good enough w/ the MS to excise the SP-only code. I had been afraid that this would cause some interference somehow even for MP, but your assertion makes me more confident that this sort of thing wouldn't be problematic.

By the way, for naming slots, are you restricted to using the vanilla naming convention? For example, in naming slots that are meant to be used for dummy troops, does slot_troop_ have to go before it, or is this a technically unnecessary naming convention? I guess the underlying question is how the game/engine determines a slot's type. Is it the naming convention or the combination of position and numbering in module_constants?
  13. Apthorpe

I've been doing some research on slots. Here's something that prompted a question: (couldn't get the regular quote stuff to work so I improvised)

[quote author=domipoppe]
    slots are like "saved" variables. They are saved until the server/client shuts down. Depends on serverside/clientside slots. If you start the server all slots will have "0" as the standard input.
    [/quote]
    [quote author=domipoppe]
    Player slots exist as long as the player is on the server/game.
    Agent slot exist as long as the agent is actually existing.
    [/quote]

Does this mean that by default a slot's value is retained even when a server changes the mission and scene? (assuming the slot is tied to an entity type whose existence is not treated as temporary)

Also, where's the best place in module_constants to add troop slots? The following are making me wary:

Code:
    slot_troop_will_join_prison_break      = 161

troop_slots_reserved_for_relations_start        = 165 #this is based on id_troops, and might change

slot_troop_relations_begin				= 0 #this creates an array for relations between troops
    #Right now, lords start at 165 and run to around 290, including pretenders

In my ID_troops file the last pretender is trp_kingdom_6_pretender = 362. I'm assuming that concludes the list of lords and pretenders. Does this mean I need to number my added troop slots 363+?
  14. Apthorpe

Thanks hinds and kalarhan. I'll probably try the dummy troop solution out, since my Python coding proficiency is very low, but I'll give WARP a look too.

kalarhan said:
    its not the amount of triggers, but what each one is doing and how optimized your code is. So test EACH one in separated and measure the FPS impact, and improve the ones that are causing a drop.

Like many of your advisory statements, kalarhan, this one went into my modding knowledge database--you and hinds have proven to be frequent contributors! Obviously your point here is that the number of triggers is not as impactful as what the triggers themselves are doing. But to confirm, are you saying that multiple triggers literally have no additional stress impact at all compared to a single trigger? (or something so negligible as to never need consideration). Like if I created 20 separate triggers w/ the same content (and check interval and whatnot) as a single trigger, would the former cause more lag or the same amount?

Back
Top Bottom