Recent content by Narf of Picklestink

1. Narf of Picklestink

In Progress 1.8.0 Aim / mouse movement accelerated making precise aiming very difficult

It would be great if the devs could implement custom sensitivity settings for different zoom levels. Newer Call of Duty titles include this feature, and it means that you can set your DPS to a fairly low level for more zoomed in camera to make it easier to do precision aiming, without making it so you have to do three full-arm swipes of the mouse to turn your character around. As it is right now, zooming in makes it all but impossible to aim with a bow unless both you and the target are stationary. And for reference, I have my mouse DPS set to 1200, and my in-game multiplier set to .3, which is as low as I can go without compromising my character's movement and melee combat. Zoomed in with Eagle Eye, even that is too high to do precision aiming.
  2. Narf of Picklestink

OSP Medieval 3D Art Narf's Men-at-Arms Armour Pack - UPDATE RELEASED 2016-09-19

dsfrozen said:
    Downloaded it again today for the 1,000th time... always a piece of beauty!

Thank you!  Even years later, it still makes me happy to see people get good use of this stuff  :grin:

Totenkopf900 said:
    Hey Narf, can you tell me why the buckler from the Transitional pack don't get attached correctly when not equiped?The code uses the "itcf_carry_buckler_left", but it clips through the body.

ZjONc.jpg
    dsfrozen said:
    Downloaded it again today for the 1,000th time... always a piece of beauty!

You have to fiddle with the position of the model in openbrf.  It's been a long time since I did it, so I don't remember the exact process, but I recall there being a lot of guesswork involved.  Import a native weapon and try to position the buckler in about the same spot.  I obviously didn't succeed lol.
  3. Narf of Picklestink

fallentrojan said:
    Narf of Picklestink said:
    Crap, this zip has been missing a texture file all this time and I only now find out? Let me see if I can locate it and fix...

Edit: OK, I took a look at this again, and that material/texture combo is from the first release of the pack.  It actually doesn't get used in version 2.0, I must have forgotten to remove them.  They are never referenced by any models though, so I'm guessing you must somehow have a mix of the old and new packs?

that's possible,I used to play warband a log time ago and used ur armors too. recently i started playing again and downloaded ur pack again. so maybe i got confused. so what should i do here? what should i look for from what folder since i probably have both old and new,  just gotta go look for them. thank you for taking the time to check and if u could help me out again on this then truly you are a noble person and I wish u all the luck in the world

ps: btw did u mean there r some items from the older pack that's no longer available in the newer pack?

I haven't actually done any modding in a couple years, so my memory is foggy on how it all works, but I think you could probably just do this:
    1. download and install the new version, copying over any files with the same name (many textures and models were redone or updated)
    2. rename the brf file to "men_at_arms2"
    3. go to the module.ini file and change the line "load_mod_resource = men_at_arms" to "load_mod_resource = men_at_arms2"

If that doesn't resolve your issues, probably the easiest thing to do is to start from scratch, and just install the new version. 

Basically, the new version added a bunch of new stuff, and the old legs models and textures were replaced completely.  I don't remember exactly all what was added or changed, but I'm pretty sure the majority of the assets were modified in some way.
  4. Narf of Picklestink

Crap, this zip has been missing a texture file all this time and I only now find out? Let me see if I can locate it and fix...

Edit: OK, I took a look at this again, and that material/texture combo is from the first release of the pack.  It actually doesn't get used in version 2.0, I must have forgotten to remove them.  They are never referenced by any models though, so I'm guessing you must somehow have a mix of the old and new packs? 
  5. Narf of Picklestink

fallentrojan said:
    in the game i get message saying something like this couldn't load hose_kneecops.dds and the units that are wearing these items appear to just have plain black legs instead. How can I fix this? Thanks in advance

Sounds like one of the materials is referencing a non-existent texture.

Get OpenBRF (https://www.mbrepository.com/file.php?id=1466), and use it to open "[email protected]".

Once open, click on the Mat tab, then look for the reference to "hose_kneecops.dds", and change it to the proper name of the texture in the Tex tab.
    • DiffuseA should be hose_kneecops_green or hose_kneecops_red
    • Bump should be hose_kneecops_norm
    • Specular should be hose_kneecops_spec
    Assuming none of the textures have been renamed, that is. 
  6. Narf of Picklestink

The animations were compiled for me by theman007.  I don't know if he has released it as a mod, I'd suggest you PM him directly.  There were dozens of new animations in it, I just picked out the ones I liked the best.
  7. Narf of Picklestink

First, a disclaimer: I stopped learning about the coding side of WB in about 2010, so I don't know what cur_item_add_mesh and cur_item_set_material do.  Actually, a lot of what you said in that post is lost on me.  But it sounds pretty awesome!

Somebody said:
    I also did a couple of custom lods for the hauberks and tried making the kettlehat + hood combo go with the chapel-de-fer stuff.
    Mind if I add the lod to my pack as well?  I'll credit you of course.  I thought I had added a version of the hood that fit with the kettlehelms - I know I made it, probably just forgot it.  I will add it at some point.  I was also thinking about adding some plumes and scarves to the helms, I may still get around to that as well.  I like how it looks in those screens, and it wouldn't be much work.

Somebody said:
    Because there is so much variety in your OSP I felt like the player should have some sort of control over item customization, which I've attempted to script. Customization is to be done with troop/item slot and offsets but I haven't whipped up a presentation yet.

So one of the things that bothers me is that ti_on_init_item still has limitations unless you run WSE. Namely it crashes if you try setting materials for too many submeshes, and that it doesn't work on boots/gloves/horses. Which means I had to re-combine the hose + shoe meshes. Helmets and body armour work fine most of the time. If the helmets are rigged the inventory tableau will inevitably screw up by trying to combine the new submeshes with the ixmesh_inventory in the wrong positions.

I'm going to have to search the forums a bit to find out what you mean by most of that.  Specifically, "troop/item slot and offsets" and "ti_on_init_item". 

I imagine it would be more clear once I gave it a whirl, but the .txt files in the Dropbox link are missing.

8. Narf of Picklestink

pizzaman_6 said:
    Hey Narf, hows it going? Any word on possible additions to this? I was glad to see the new models featured heavily in the most recent version of ACOK, they are really great models. Like others have said here, I really think that a version with a Breastplate would be the icing on the cake.

Ok, I did intend to make that at some point, but work has been nuts the last few months.  I have a free weekend later this month, I'll try to squeeze it in over a marathon session.

Thanks to all for the encouragement.
  9. Narf of Picklestink

Yeah OK, breastplate is probably a good idea.  I will get to it eventually, but probably not soon.  Things are quite busy for me at the moment, and doing these eats up enormous amounts of time.

Thanks to all for the feedback.
  10. Narf of Picklestink

Assuming you are not using the module system, this is what you need to do:

If you have not already done so, I suggest you duplicate the folder "Native" (default path C:\Program Files (x86)\Mount&Blade Warband\Modules\Native), and rename it to whatever you would like your new mod to be called.  In that way you will always have the default files to recover from mistakes, and still play Vanilla if you really hate this stuff.

1. Copy the contents of the Resource and Textures folders from this OSP to the corresponding folders in your mod directory.

2. Open module.ini in your mod folder, use ctrl+f to find the line "load_resource = materials_face_gen".  Below that line, add these two lines:
    load_mod_resource = men_at_arms
    load_mod_resource = men_at_arms_lods

Save and close the file.

3. Open item_kinds1.txt in your mod folder.  On the second line, directly under "itemsfile version 3", increase the number by 45.  If you have no other mods installed, this number will be 603, and should therefore be increased to 648. 

4. With this file still open, open the file included in this OSP named item_kinds_entries.txt.  Press ctrl+a to select the entire contents of the file, then press ctrl+c to copy them.  Go back to item_kinds1.txt, scroll to the very bottom of the file, place your cursor just above the line that begins with "itm_items_end...", and press ctrl_v to paste the lines for the new items.

Save and close the file.

5. Play game.
  11. Narf of Picklestink

Well, version 2.* is released.  See first post for link. 

Let me know if you see something that needs fixing.

Now, what to do next...
  12. Narf of Picklestink

Took me a while to figure out what you were talking about lol.

The jack chains have rings, I just forgot to put them on this model.  So many derails...

You lookin badass there by the way.  Is that your regular kit?
  13. Narf of Picklestink

A couple new helms, some colour variants for the legs, retextured the other sallets and all metal parts for the new arms and legs.  Retopo of legs as well, there were some issues with them before.  Mostly because I was really compromising the form of them to get them to work with native models.  I have made them somewhat less compromised.

I just need to get some lods made and I think I'm calling this done.  There are some other loose ends I should tie up (like doing the mail shirt properly, it's still in a kind of test phase), but they may wait for another day, as I really want to release this and move on.  Otherwise I have most everything done I set out to do originally.

Will post pics of the new helms later, just super busy lately.

EDIt - new helms.  Archer's sallet and eyeslot kettlehelm.

zn3EVV3.png

5xnQSjU.png
  14. Narf of Picklestink

Tweaking the painted version.  How's this working for you guys?
    bQ14luc.png
    VFC8IN3.png
    (sorry for bad image quality, hard to get it right on super high def screen, so had to shrink them)

wiener_snitzel said:
    My god, these are awsome!  Are the black and white sallet a reference to something?

I ran across some images online similar to this, I thought they looked cool, so made it.  Soldiers certainly painted their sallets, but I don't know if this one is based on a historical example.  The inscription is just something I made up and translated to Latin.

rgcotl said:
    well
    nice to see you back Narf

some small notices on the chainmail
    i see in the skirt for some unknown reason you cutted mail in midle is that due the fact you got mad  at rigging it for warband animations or is it a must be thing?

also for the helmet normal map it should fit the painted and not painted versions since the paint height is so minimal that it cannot be even seen on the model

I don't recall the exact reason, I was just experimenting mostly.  But I think it's because I didn't like how it looked closed. 
  15. Narf of Picklestink

jacobhinds said:
    It's a shame they look so lacklustre with warband's ancient shaders. :cry:

I feel like you should be using the same normalmap for all three helmets, since having the text on the painted visor stick out like that looks like you just plugged the unedited diffuse into a normalmap filter without thinking.

Besides that these look gorgeous.

I should not put the renders beside the Warband screenshots lol.

The normal on the script was done that way because I imagined the black paint going over the white, and without it it was looking like a print.  But now you got me thinking about it, it seems more likely that the white part would actually be painted over the black with the script masked out.  So you're right, it shouldn't be bumped out.  Will change.  But I will definitely not use the same normal map for all three - these are painted after all, not printed, so the paint has texture, though I might need to tone it down.

_Sebastian_ said:
    Such perfection, I really like it!

Do you plan to create some full plate sets aswell?

We shall see... The moment a release date for Bannerlord is announced I, like everyone else, will probably lose all interest in any Warband modding.  But if it takes a few more months, then it's not impossible.
Back
Top Bottom