Recent content by MrModeste

1. Native OSP 2D Art Warband UI Retexture

I love it, really adds life to menus, and makes Calradia slightly less depressing. Delightful!
  2. TLD (The Last Days, LOTR mod) for M&B 1.011 Info

Hello!

First off I have to say, I love this mod, it's hands down my favorite after almost two years playing Warband. I'm in my 5th playthrough right now, as a man of Beorn's House, and it's just as fun as the first four. Still in awe at the quality behind everything: visual assets, dialogs, soundtrack, siege and battlemaps scenes, it's just top notch.

I've noticed a few issues/bugs with the mod, nothing too game-breaking, but I thought I could share them here for feedback.

#1 - I play with a terrible laptop, which requires me to run the game in Direct X7. Doesn't change too much (besides looking worse, but that's to be expected), with the exception of two texture bugs. When I run the game in Direct X9 I don't meet either of those issues.

The first one being some sky effects being all weird and "boxy", or just plain not loading up. Some examples:
    Here in Orc Patrol Camp: https://imgur.com/a/ZFyIsyX
    Here in the Dead Marshes: https://imgur.com/a/GZs0PNM

The second being a specific kind of grass texture that gets all weird and transparent, like in the entrance to Thranduil's Halls for example (https://i.imgur.com/DDkogjG.jpg), or the roofs from the Woodsmen village.

#2 - I don't know if it's intended, but the Advanced Siege AI sort of mess things up: it seems like the units sometimes meet invisible walls where they will conglomerate in huge piles, rather than just pick their target and move to attack them the way they do with the Native AI. It feels weird, and it happened for basically any siege with the AS AI enabled. It doesn't happen with the Native AI.

#3 - The "Defend a village from raiders" quest seems to scale up in difficulty much faster than the player's combat ability. For example, right now I'm level 18 as a Beorning man, and I'm facing 63 orcs raiders, and not the lowest tiers! I have 13 of my own guys on my team, and a dozen or so of villagers that are useless by design, so it's a 1:4 ratio and least I can say is that it's tough as nails, so far I've only succeeded this quest once, at the very beginning of the game when I was still very low level, now every time I accept it it becomes significantly harder than the previous ones.

#4 - The "Protect the refugee convoy" quest party numbers seem weird to me. I'm protecting 3 bands of 15 refugees (10 of each being villagers), and we're being attacked by SIX parties of FIFTY raiders each! That'd be 300 raiders (basically two Evil war parties) trying to harass 30 poor refugees, and to me the ratio seems off. Not only is the quest very hard, but I don't think it makes much sense for that many enemies to go after so few villagers.

#5 - [Disclaimer: Not sure if this is not an error on my end, I'll have to retry it] Extremely minor: with the Beta Formations AI, the Infantry starts in Wedge position by default, which I think was intended more for cavalry rather than infantry.

#6 - Some "Attack the scout camp" quests are impossible to resolve, since the camps spawn in parts of the Mirkwood forest that are unaccessible, for example: https://i.imgur.com/qfJYxum.jpg

#7 - Wargs. [Full disclaimer: this specific issue was edited when I was a bit frustrated with said Wargs, take it with a grain of salt.] I know they're made to disrupt, but I think that it works *far* too well. Infantry focused factions such as Mirkwood Elves or Beornings get rolled over in actual battles by Gundabag, whose armies seem to entirely consist in warg-mounted raiders. I think lowering the charge value on Wargs, and/or reducing the warg-mounted proportion of units in the Gundabag war parties would make for a significantly less frustrating battle experience for the player, while keeping the campaign balance intact.

#8 - I think the "Wildcraft" skill should be an INT-related one. Not only does it make sense, since Spotting, Tracking and Path-finding are all INT-related, (and because being charismatic doesn't imply being good at walking through forests), but it would also allow scout companions such as Luevanna or Gurgash to improve this skill, which would otherwise be limited to the player (because who raises their companions CHA?).

#9 - Whenever a combat which involves the player is triggered next to a town, all the caravans within the town join the combat, sometimes 5+ caravans at once. It doesn't make much sense to me (caravans only exist to move supplies around), plus it's an open door to abuse (often unvoluntary abuse in my case, since it triggers automatically), especially since the AI doesn't seem to consider said caravans as existing in the campaign map, and so it doesn't avoid going near them as it would when meeting superior numbers. I'd understand if it was the case for Lords' parties, since their goal is to fight after all, plus they're clearly visible with the town overview UI, but for caravans I find it very weird.

I'll continue to update this post as I go through my campaign and discover other things that surprise and/or bother me. None of this is game-breaking of course, but I figured some feedback wouldn't hurt. I don't want to sound ungrateful, it's meant as constructive criticism of a mod I otherwise enjoy very much.

Now that being said, huge thanks to the team behind TLD, I've enjoyed playing it for dozens of hours, and I hope it'll continue for dozens more. I'd be glad to send a few bucks your way, if only to pay for the server costs and/or software licences. Is there a Paypal link laying around? Didn't find one in the FAQ.

Keep up the good work, fellas!
  3. Incompatible File Version (I think I corrupted my save file)

Thanks for the help!

Unfortunately, in the mean time I started a new character, and it seems that there's only one save back-up, for the most recent save file. So I can't use my main character file backup. Too bad I guess!
  4. Incompatible File Version (I think I corrupted my save file)

Hello, Today, I did the mistake of launching Silverstag with the regular .exe and not the WSE loader. I loaded my 700 days save file, had a message saying something along the lines of "scripts not running", restarted the game with the appropriate wseloader.exe and now I can't load my save file...
  5. Companion loaned to an expelled Lord. Is he gone forever? [SOLVED]

Thank you for your answer. I checked, and it seems that he has rejoined the Kingdom of Swadian under King Harlaus. Which would mean that I read it wrong, and that he was expelled, and not exiled for good. I hope I'll somehow manage to get him to give me back my damn Artimeneer!

EDIT: Well I met Mirchaud, once again under the Swadian banner. I beat him, but no mention of Artimeneer whatsoever. I forgot to mention previously that when he got expelled, the "Lend Artimeneer to Mirchaud" quest failed at the same time. His name doesn't appear in Traveller's menu either. I'll wait a few weeks, but I'm afraid he's gone for good. I'm sad.

EDIT 2: Is it possible to cheat by spawning a companion? That would do for me.

EDIT 3: I checked the "Companion Mission Status" report, and it said "Whereabouts unknown, trying to rejoin party".

AND THEN HE CAME BACK TO ME ALL BY HIMSELF ALLELUIA!
  6. Companion loaned to an expelled Lord. Is he gone forever? [SOLVED]

Hello, I gave my Artimeener to Lord Mirchaud, and quickly after that, he was casted into exile (EDIT: He wasn't exiled, but expelled) by our Queen, Lady something of the Swadian Rebels. Is there any way I can get my dear engineer back? I've read that in native, he was gone for good, but who...
Back
Top Bottom