Recent content by Moridin123

1. SP - General Gameplay Suggestion: Implement features of Freelancer into the base game

Freelancer adds features that are a must-have for a medieval military cRPG.

E.g. what's the most believable story: "some vigilante weirdo alongside his peasant sidekicks hunted down so many dozens of bandit parties that he became noteworthy" or "an enlisted soldier fought in several small and large-scale battles, steadily rose through the ranks and eventually amassed enough renown and wealth to become a war leader in his own right".

Not saying hunting down bandits on occasion doesn't have its appeals, but I know which option I find more engaging and immersive.
  2. SP Native Freelancer Mod - Being a Regular Soldier

I love this mod. I really hope that someone picks up the development.
    I can't say for sure, but I suspect @Bloc wouldn't be okay with it; otherwise, he wouldn't have stressed that he won't release his source code.

Afterall, it would sort of defeat the point he's trying to make...
  3. Resolved Dead Gang Leader remains alive

Thank you. Glad to see it fixed :xf-smile:
  4. Information about developments at snowballing problem

This will harm the losing side more, thus more snowballing. An army that wins does not need to go back to the villages to recruit, the losing side does; over and over until the settlement is lost.
    But a conqueror has to leave a garrison behind, so he still needs to recruit just to keep the army strength stable.
  5. Information about developments at snowballing problem

Is there a recruitable population pool from which notables draw their possible recruits?

If not, then implementing something like this could really help with snowballing: the more a pool is tapped, the slower the respawning of recruits from notables would be. Thus, even a faction that constantly wins would still eventually be hit by this inertia, curbing their momentum.

This (the status of the recruitable population pool) could even be tied to a faction's willingness to war & peace, making the world's conflict feel a bit more organic.
  6. SP - General hide exact army sizes

I'd love for this to be a thing.
  7. [Suggestion] Ambush Sytem: Lure party

I agree. Ambushes as a game mechanic would be a phenomenal addition to the game.

Besides the obvious RP benefits (e.g. ambushing an Imperial army in thick forests as a Battanian, or ambushing a merchant caravan as a bandit party), it would grant defenders in a war a better fighting chance against an overwhelming enemy, thereby making snowballing and late-game blobbing rarer, as well as allowing outlaws to remain a threat well into the mid and late game.
  8. FOOD SUPPLIES - the 2nd reason that should make Quality preferable to Quantity (but that is effectively negligible in-game)

(While there are excellent threads covering most of the topics mentioned here, I decided to make this thread specifically to make this point, unencumbered by the myriads of arguments in the context of other discussions.) ** The main reason to prefer High-tier troops instead of Low-tier troops...
  9. Resolved Dead Gang Leader remains alive

I just did that. I got both an "upload aborted" and a "your file was successfully uploaded" message, so please let me know if you actually received it xD
  10. Resolved Dead Gang Leader remains alive

I participated in a 'Rival Gang Moves In' quest and lost the fight, but the rival gang leader got killed (ironically, I still failed the quest xD ). After that, said Gang Leader remains in the Notables tab, though with a note saying he's Dead. But he retains his power level, I can still...
  11. Need More Info Login Failed

Having this issue as well.

Just reinstalled the game after a few weeks' hiatus.

Never had this issue before...
  12. Suggestions

First of all, great mod  :grin:

Suggestion:

- With the addition of several elite troops, coming across a Lord on the battlefield isn't a scary prospect at all (unless the Lord in question is a Ridas Magocracy uber-spellcaster). My suggestion is to boost Lord stats, armor and weapons in order to make them scary in a fight. Making Swadian Lords as strong as a Knight of the King, for example, or making a Rhodox Lord a superb swordmaster...

Keep up the good work!  :party:
  13. Bug reports and suggestions - read the first post

Gishank said:
    With that being said, isn't the a more appropriate discussion for another thread?

I made a suggestion which is being challenged as not worth the trouble. This discussion is a direct result and relevant to whether the suggestion is implemented or not, I believe...
  14. Bug reports and suggestions - read the first post

Splintert said:
    Moridin123 said:
    Splintert said:
    Perhaps to add to the discussion would be the idea of forcing players to carry 100% of their 'banked' money on them, thus dropping % on death. A very small portion of that money would disappear when inaccessible, plus it would remove the hassle of having to make bank props on maps. Other than that, players would still keep most of their money, other than the percent that they drop when logging out.

Isn't that the same as removing bank scripts, which we've already concluded the player-base does not support...?

You're not the first person to misinterpret it, and definitely won't be the last. There is no removal of bank scripts, nor removal of any other character persistence. The only difference is that instead of storing your money in an invulnerable, free-access database, you carry it around. No difference, only that the number is always on your person instead of in an invincible offsite account.

Sorry if I'm being dense but, if you carry the money, the money you carry is vulnerable and a % drops on death, then in what way is it protected under bank scripts? What are the bank scripts even doing in that situation...?

Splintert said:
    It won't matter how hard you make it to get gear initially, given time the same situation will arise, where gear is infinite along with money.

Maybe the end result is inevitable, but even stretching the time it takes for that to happen is time where PW is alive for awhile longer. Plus, such measures would be in conjunction with the aforementioned banking restrictions...

Splintert said:
    Moridin123 said:
    While this new "social strata" is probably a result of the economic problem, as you say, I don't agree they're not part of the solution. They are the dredges of PW society, regarded by factions with disdain. The only thing worse you could be is outlaw. Though you're probably the one getting robbed rather than the other way around. Why do these players since strive to earn as much coin as they can and zealously depositing on a bank? I believe they do it because they hope that one day, some day, they'll be rich enough to avenge the slights inflicted upon them.

In my opinion, we want to encourage this. We NEED to encourage this! How else are you going to defeat the established factions? Because we do need to defeat them, to present them with challenges to overcome and keep them engaged in PW. Else, one by one, factions will disband out of boredom and most of their players will stop playing altogether. They make up the vast majority of the player-base and losing them is another nail on the coffin for PW...

I don't know where you're getting the idea that the only way to defeat an established faction is to encourage individualized gameplay. The only reason 'established factions' exist is because their progress one day is still there the next, and the next, and the next through infinity. All it takes is removing their progress every once in a while, along with everyone else's. That puts them on the same level as other factions, making it a fair fight. These established factions can't win a fair fight. Even if you ignore that, putting a bunch of players who want to play alone in a faction is just disaster. They have no organization, no structure, no teamwork, and no reason to stay in the faction. Which results in being destroyed by 'established factions' who all have a singular goal: kill your ass.

You're generalizing the attitude of all faction-less. Just because they refuse to join an established faction doesn't mean they wouldn't like to join one. Many faction-less despise the established factions demeaning attitude towards them and would love to get back at them. It's just that they really don't have the means to do so, so they're left with wrecking castle doors and chests and hiding carts during the night or robbing and killing the occasional lone faction levy...

Some of them must surely have leadership attributes, the will to go and start a faction of their own. They just got unlucky, or joined the server late, and find themselves unable to compete. So they keep on going, making whatever money they can get and hoping for an opening...
  15. Bug reports and suggestions - read the first post

Splintert said:
    Moridin123 said:
    What I meant with this, and I think I made it clear further down my post, is that your concept of commoners as a transitional phase for faction members is no longer true. They now represent the faction-less, people who decide to play the game without joining the established factions. And THEY are the ones with the greatest motives and desire to upset the status quo, to shake the dominant factions out of their slumber... Thus my argument: scripts made these faction-less (these "commoners") useless because they can't compete, but they are the ones we actually need to change this stale gameplay PW fell into...

Ah, I see. In that case I would go so far as to say the only thing that makes the 'commoners' able to compete is actually the scripts themselves. Imagine how difficult it would be to gather money if you didn't have access to sell points or resources for weapon and armour crafting. When everyone has infinite money and infinite gear, they don't need a faction's resource access to gear up and stand their ground against factions. This individualized gameplay is a result of the economic problem, not the solution.

While this new "social strata" is probably a result of the economic problem, as you say, I don't agree they're not part of the solution. They are the dredges of PW society, regarded by factions with disdain. The only thing worse you could be is outlaw. Though you're probably the one getting robbed rather than the other way around. Why do these players since strive to earn as much coin as they can and zealously depositing on a bank? I believe they do it because they hope that one day, some day, they'll be rich enough to avenge the slights inflicted upon them.

In my opinion, we want to encourage this. We NEED to encourage this! How else are you going to defeat the established factions? Because we do need to defeat them, to present them with challenges to overcome and keep them engaged in PW. Else, one by one, factions will disband out of boredom and most of their players will stop playing altogether. They make up the vast majority of the player-base and losing them is another nail on the coffin for PW...

Splintert said:
    Moridin123 said:
    Of course nothing of that is enough, else I wouldn't be here... I was just presenting occasions where money is truly lost, so we can think of how to enlarge these losses in order to create more meaningful demand.

Enlarging losses can only be done by forcing players to either lose gear on logging out or wipe saved gear on server resets. Otherwise it's just chipping away a mountain. The server that I was part of years ago more or less introduced the scripts to the game, and players had literally millions of denars, tens of millions. No amount of disappearing gear is going to dent that short of simply disallowing it to build up (via removal of persistent scripts). Even if you made it so that gear disappeared instantly and players lost gear on logging out, they'd have infinite money and thus demand high starting stockpiles on their maps. No effect on the problem.

Wiping gear is something that would enrage the community, I believe. As ideal as it would be, I think that option flew out the window a long time ago...

However, we could still vastly increase situations where gear gets permanently lost. Diminishing the time gear lingers on after the owner's death to a few minutes would be one way. Making items in carts vanish after a few hours would be another. Same with chest, though they should be better than carts. Also, high starting stockpiles on maps is something server owners can easily deny players, unlike gear on logout.

If we chip away at the mountain enough times, we can at least prolong PW's lifetime for a while longer...

Splintert said:
    Moridin123 said:
    Until we can devise a way to create higher demand, you're right. This suggestion, though, isn't meant to stand on its own as the savior of server economy. On EU_Phoenix there are also arguments to tax bank money and to limit withdrawal amounts, so the stock limitation would merely be a piece of it...

Perhaps to add to the discussion would be the idea of forcing players to carry 100% of their 'banked' money on them, thus dropping % on death. A very small portion of that money would disappear when inaccessible, plus it would remove the hassle of having to make bank props on maps. Other than that, players would still keep most of their money, other than the percent that they drop when logging out.

Isn't that the same as removing bank scripts, which we've already concluded the player-base does not support...?

P.S.: Really appreciate the time and effort you're taking in this discussion with me. Maybe something good for PW will come out of this  :smile:

P.P.S.: Damn, this forum's smiles are creepy... xD
Back
Top Bottom