Recent content by Mephistopholees

1. Mephistopholees

Native Siege Battle Completed [Official] The Khuzait Horde - 3x Loot & Exp

Quite the scale and glad to see its pushing 500 without dying

Does show how some things dont scale up linearly - siege is extremely defender biased in that sense. Longer spawn times or limited spawn lives would encourage significantly more defensive play rather than the mosh pit outside the walls.

Also, holding left alt - the clutter of names very quickly becomes an active detriment as pop scales. Fine for 6v6 but even at 50v50 its bad, let alone 250v250. An option to filter that down to just friends or clan would be a god-send for legibility and usefulness.

e: Seems I didnt stick around long enough to see the defender spawn time thing!
  2. Mephistopholees

Question to the Devs - Why the swing arcs are so long?

I suspect the wide swing arcs were implemented to better facilitate the "hit multiple people in one swing" feature
  3. Mephistopholees

i shouldn't lose reputation with my own faction for executing enemy faction prisoners

you can think of it as socially unacceptable thing to kill your prisoner, so that way everybody will hate you, regardless if they would do the same or not

In addition to this - or probably preceding the custom - is the line of thinking that goes like this -

In war, both sides are likely to end up with some prisoners on both sides. That could be me.
    If we execute their noble prisoners, they'll execute theirs in retaliation (thats what we would do anyway).
    I'm more nervous about being captured and executed than I am vengeful enough to execute the enemy nobles
    So lets come to an implicit agreement to keep our noble prisoners alive for ransom and otherwise play "fair", and they will too

Eventually, this thinking gets developed into a set of social customs, like the code of Chivalry.
    Eventually, it gets extended down the ranks to the common soldiers, and thats basically the groundwork for the Geneva Conventions.
  4. Mephistopholees

Does Taleworlds have statistics?

Does TW have stats at least from its own official servers? Theres a lot of talk about balancing that sort of relies on people's experiences playing various game modes, and if you play enough you are certainly able to get a feel for it, but people do have wildly divergent perceptions that can't...
  5. Mephistopholees

Archers need to be nerfed

I'm not sure what game some of these people are playing

The OP said elsewhere that he plays Siege and TDM, which are up there with captain in the worst possible ways of discerning class balance.
  6. Mephistopholees

Archers need to be nerfed

Anyone that thinks cav needs to be buffed to better counter archers is clearly a cavalryman salty they aren't good enough to bump-hit

Cavalry in BL is so much easier than Warband because horses have obscene amounts of health, armoured horses are more common, horses are more agile and less impacted by bad riding, and ranged is relatively less effective against cavalry than warband. To say nothing of stealth horses.

Cavalry should be punished for shadowing infantry too closely. Javelins especially should be absolutely lethal to a horse. But they're lazy, so they want to stare at an infantry blob from 10 meters away like a Pitbull staring at a peanut butter covered baby. And no, the perk barely helps.

They are not overpowered at all. What they ARE, is annoying. We should not conflate the two.

☝️☝️☝️

7. Mephistopholees

Custom servers are great, but the cosmetic system is still flawed

Damn it, do you even realize that such an idiotic act creates a negative opinion about the game among other players and they leave it? And what the hell is loot then? What would be a stylish troll? Such behavior should be severely punished. It is possible for you to poop on other people's opinions as well as their rights and interests in general, but I still hope this is just a dumb guess and not a reference to your actual actions.
    I tested it once to prove a point you ****ing weirdo
  8. Mephistopholees

Custom servers are great, but the cosmetic system is still flawed

You can farm it now anyway. I went to the EU TDM server, sat in an obscure corner and tabbed out. Got as much loot as a siege battle I sweated my ass of for. The most efficient way to get loot is skirmish battles imo but those are dead now that custom servers have eaten up most of the MP population (East NA anyway). The way loot is distributed is bad, its trying hard to avoid farming while enabling the most passive farming there is.
  9. Mephistopholees

Is Siege dead?

I still cannot figure why Siege is on the server list in Oceania but on the matchmaker for everywhere else. I cannot think of a game mode less suited to matchmaking.
  10. Mephistopholees

Defenders should not be opening the gates *at all*

There is an enormous amount of what is basically voluntary self sabotage happening on siege as people open the the main gates to rambo to their hearts content, even if alternative sortie ports and exits remain available. In Warband, this is kind of a big deal and I know in the events my folks...
  11. Mephistopholees

MP Quality of life improvements and some ideas

Siege is a bit of a mess at the moment, the crashing is obvious but there's also a few other problems

1) Some people don't have the remotest idea how it works, and its not entirely intuitive. I've seen a dozen defending archers standing around a flag that was taken and ignore it completely, letting the timer run down, blissfully unaware.
    - Maybe leave the flag UI on by default with an option to switch to to view via alt, so new people are forced to look at flags and know where they are
    - Highlight siege equipment for attackers, and notable areas like gates and breaches for everyone. Perhaps a voice line or announcement when something happens (like in Total War when they say, THE GATE IS DOWN/OUR SIEGE TOWER HAS REACHED THE WALL)

2) Cavalry are a disruptive nuisance. This is just my personal opinion but damn do I wish they would be removed from Siege or severely limited somehow.

3) Bit of a moonshot, but spawn location selection? Would help plan attacks if you didn't have to cross 200m of ground to attack where you are needed, likewise for defence. Can let attackers capable or teamwork arrange alternating attack concentrations to keep defenders on their toes.

4) Do something about defenders opening the gates. Have alternate sortie doors available but keep the main gates locked from being opened by defenders.
    - Perhaps, the attackers would need to go through an animation to lift the lock off the gate before they can open it from behind, if they manage, and a defender can put it back on - but not take it off. Limiting the defender's ability to sortie to owning a marginally defensible exterior flag might help change the dynamic of the match - a clearly superior team would be able to stomp the attackers at the first hurdle, otherwise, its behind the walls for you. Perhaps the exterior defences could be extensively destructible, giving a strong purpose to attacker artillery, and a strong motivation for defender artillery to target the attack artillery.

5) Defensive catapults have extremely variable usefulness. Sometimes, you can only use the bottom power setting if you want to hit anything, and even then its nothing that useful - maybe you can hit the trebuchet, but the trebuchet can only hit merlons, so its not that useful. sometimes you have 3 high value targets. Placement needs to be carefully considered. Attacking catapults have better use, but not as much as they ought to have. At the moment breaches are pretty easy to establish, but beyond that its just merlons. This is also because even if the gate is in your line of sight, you cant shoot at it because its always been bloody opened by the defenders!

6) Archery is so accurate and easy that ballistas are almost useless - you need to get a real feel for their reticle-less trajectory compared to archers, that can zero in after two shots at most, and you cant reload them fast enough to readjust shots. Perhaps if people moved in bigger groups it would have a use, but they dont, really

7) Make larger sections of the interior barricades destructible

8. Single man ninja capping the rear flag when almost every other flag still belongs to the defenders is a bit silly

9) Ability to pull back the ram after the gate is down! (...Is that already possible any nobody has even tried?)
    - also, destroyed rams can still hit the gate for some reason

10) Should be able to pick up dropped stones. Perhaps have the stones break if they hit the ground with enough speed, so if you lob it off the walls the attackers cant use them either

11) MP generally - different colour name for friends when you hold alt to easily identify where they are, along with the banner distinction suggestion
  12. Mephistopholees

Calradic Campaign

Calradic Campaign #50 Wrap-Up Well folks, this is it for now. Its been a hell of a time, these past years - how else could you say it? And I would go grey, or more so than I already am, if I tried to recall by name everyone in need of thanking. This old diamond in the rough we call Warband...
  13. Mephistopholees

Calradic Campaign

Calradic Campaign #50 - The 11th Hour (our 4th anniversary!) Reddit event post link Current Map Discord Link Start Guide & Lore When: Saturday, March 7th, 4:00PM EDT Server: Calradic_Campaign Password: reddit In the final Calradic Campaign event for Warband, every faction will come out...
Back
Top Bottom