Recent content by Master BOB

1. Master BOB

New Download for 1.010/1.011

Caleb ConDoin said:
    I don't wanna sound noobish or stupid, but where is Zendor on the 1.011 map. I ask cause I was reading about it in the previous version and it seems to have just disappeared.
    Zendar is long gone, before the version 1.0 was released. Some mods brought it back, but most don't.
  2. Master BOB

Are you enjoying the mod? Post your thoughts here! (No Bugs please!)

And Hillfolk cavalry owns them all  :roll:.
    Well, I tried the forest of course, but 0.5 - 2 fps on smallest battle size and almost no details isn't really an option.
    Concerning the self-restictions, just look at my avatar. I play Leo Windblade for some years now, just a leather armour and a bastard sword (short bow to shoot running-away horses), without any helps and on high difficulty settings. Some weeks ago I decided to try a little change against the rhodok seargants (they have been upgraded in Band of Warriors): mail + great bardiche. Worked very well, since I took much less damage and cut my way without moving much - even managed to kill these seargants with 2-3 blows (power strike 6). That was my new "war gear", and after some long and bloody weeks, after the false Rhodoks have been eliminated and the true Rhodoks were spread over the land again, peace came along. I switched back to the normal gear (ok, I switched back to free time gear, which means an additional straw hat), and suddenly I noticed the difference. I got lazy with that heraldic mail. Took me some days to be somewhere in the near of "back to normal". I still need training to be able to use speed as my main weapon the way I did before. Do you know the sword dancers of the Warhammer Woodelves? I was like the wind of death, fluttering around the enemies like an invisible weasle, bringing death to people before they even had the chance to start an attack. Now I'm just an old geezer who thinks he was a great warrior. Cursed be that damn mail!

Btw., I also like the musik you used in this mod.
  3. Master BOB

Are you enjoying the mod? Post your thoughts here! (No Bugs please!)

Stumbled over this one while surfing more or less randomly through the forums (after playing so much M&B I stopped checking each mod a long time ago - the mod list is overwhelming). And I must admit, it put new life into the M&B-playing. I always searched for such a depth, but never found it. And now, just by accident, I stumbled over a hidden gem. I love the possibility to let the battle go on after being knocked out, and the whole world with its stories is a great work. I don't even know whether these shrines are of any use, but even the fact that they are there is nice - not to mention all the quest and other background stuff.
    I was starting with a new character; thought I would like to play an Orc, since I like to cut everything down from time to time (games give the possibility of not having to do this in real life, and even I have to put a distance to my good part sometimes). The first thing I noticed is the prologue, and in that moment I was catched. Next thing were the skills, great. I started, immediately hoarded some guys around me and did some jobs for the big boss, noticing that this world is alive (faction abilities, faction equipment, all the background). After hunting some bandits (he was right, pesky mosquitos they are), I went all the way "Yeah, dammit, finally some real fun!" when listening to his order to burn everything down. Then he talked about the demon, and again I was right there "I'm da right guy for dis, boss! Let me go crush some skullz!"
    Yes, and then I noticed how funny small an army of 70 Orcs can be. Usually I play a small elite band, so with all the M&B experience I really thought I'm capable of almost everything. Well, you proved me wrong. Seing those 70 heavy cavalry, followed by a way too large mob of heavy infantry (not that this infantry matters when facing such cavalry), I was totally "WTF????". Sure, first thing was mobbing together, then mobbing together while standing on a hill, then on a woody hill. But nothing, there was no way I could defeat this army. That was when I realized that I was too fast in doing things. After hours of frustrating losses, and noticing that I saved after taking the quest, I decided to cheat, only to find out that I either don't remember the "kill enemy"-cheat, or you did something to return the effect to the player character. Cursing around I searched a way to handle this situation - even tried the battle sizer, but there was no way I could defeat these damn lance knights with a charisma-build-character (would have been a real challenge even for my Leo Windblade). After some thinking, I decided to turn down all damage settings, AI skills, battle size, plus using the health cheat every few seconds and killing all those 180 men all alone with my lame steppe horse and the big axe the boss allowed me to have. Damn, what an evening. And you know what? After fighting 2 hours or so (plus all the stuff I tried before), M&B crashed! :shock: :mad:
    Luckily, I killed the last dude some seconds before and immediately saved. What an evening, even two days later I still have a way too high adrenalin level  :lol:.

You have done a very good job, far more than I hoped to ever find.
  4. Master BOB

Updated item_kinds1.txt for BoW 1.011 and UA 1.1

Thanks for keeping us up to date  :smile:.
  5. Master BOB

Import/Export your whole party (sans equipment)

I'm glad to see that you still keep your eyes open, and even inform us. Thanks.
  6. Master BOB

Afaik mfberg is still doing some work for BoW (and many other mods I think). Just because he has a real life doesn't mean the mod is dead.
  7. Master BOB

Thats the fate of people who know more than others. They don't try to learn it themselves, no, they just come to you and ask "Can you...?" :roll:
    Don't push yourself too hard, mfberg. Everyone is happy that you continue this mod :grin:. And small/slow steps are way better than none. Imho you don't need any excuses for not working 10 hours a day on BoW.
  8. Master BOB

Concerning this "don't use horses this battle, guys", wasn't that implemented in an earlier version of BoW? Rightklick on party reveals a menu with some battle strategy entries, like mounted/unmounted, ranged/no-ranged, blunt/pierce/cut/own choice weapon settings etc. Intuitive and easy, that's how people like it. Code pieces could be reused.
  9. Master BOB

mfberg said:
    Got the new one up.
    Great. If I hadn't a job and enough to study, I'd help you. But if you can wait another 1,5 years...

Is there a list somewhere, whith things you still plan to do for M&B?
  10. Master BOB

I wondered about some features of the mod - or to be more precise: I didn't find some of them. Like rangers, or the blood thing. I downloaded the version that was online at Jan 21th. Am I just too stupid to notice them?
  11. Master BOB

Do you want firearms in the BoW files, or in the BoWx files?

I voted for "BoWX only", but that was before I thought about what you just said. The main reason is that there are many people on both side (pro/con gunpowder weapons), so keeping it an option is the way to go. If it's an acceptable work to make it optional whithin one mod, thats even better, since you can just get both with one download. Some kind of switch at the start of a new game, which asks "BoW or BoWX mode?" (maybe with a few headwords what BoWX features are not present in BoW mode). Or for more detail one switch for each major feature.
    You are absolutely right that managing would be much easier, and although I don't know the code details, I'm pretty sure much "managing work" could be done by just checking a flag. Well, that might work if the features are encapsulated good enough. So I guess it's still the decision of the one who would have to do the work. At this point it's "more work now" vs. "more work over time", I guess.
  12. Master BOB

Now you are one of my heroes, mfberg  :grin:. I'll have to tell some friends that their main reason to play M&B is back to life.
    mfberg said:
    Put the bugs up in the bug list, I'll check there.
    If found a very minor one: The link seems to be a bit inappropriate. It should be https://www.mbrepository.com/file.php?cid=7&id=1060
    (site had to be changed because of some flooding caused by uncautious or stupid persons; I got a hint message to tell the correct url)
  13. Master BOB

Looking for new mod maintainer

fisheye said:
    Yes, please. I'm glad someone is taking an interest in it.
    You must be kidding! "Someone"? Whomever I ask what they would like to have in M&B, I always get the answer "would be cool if the troops had this or that armour", or weapon, or whatever. Really, it's one of the most wanted features imho. Now that I read the last posts here, I wonder that it seems to be BoW-only yet.
    The work you did definitely was worth it (and I don't just say that because I didn't work myself). Being able to mod to change troop outfit is not everybodies way, since many people will never code a single word. They simply don't want to learn a thing with seemingly endless complexity, just to have that armour. Thanks to you they can simply do it with some clicks now.
    One of my friends is a roman fan. And all he does is playing with characters only, because that's the only way he can set their outfit. Many people wish they could just do "army with 5 sword, 3 helbards, 10 longbows, 5 heavy morning star cavalry, 5 light spear cavalry - all infantry in mail with my emblem, heavy cavalry in plate and light cavalry in medium but cool looking leather-kind armour" or something like that. And you, fisheye, are their hero  :mrgreen:.
  14. Master BOB

Eagle114th said:
    don't be an arse
    I didn't intend to be. If you're studying, you should know very well that many things are already there, you just have to look for them. Asking for answers that are already there means unneccessary work for others. Well, that's ok if it happens once or twice, but as soon as you happen to answer the same question a 23684134th time, you start thinking "damn, does ANYBODY even read what I wrote yesterday?" (and no, I don't mean your question).
    Additionally, I'm not good in interacting with people, so I might have not chosen the best words (languages and communication itself do the rest). I'm tired of it, but I can't help it, since I am what I am. It would be very uncommon for me to offend people willingly, so you shouldn't take the words too serious.

Well, either that, or I was just in a bad mood when I wrote  :razz:. Maybe both.
  15. Master BOB

The answer was given already. I suggest you read a thread before posting. Really, 4 pages are NOT too much to demand that.
Back
Top Bottom