Recent content by james_manring

1. james_manring

Suggestions and ideas

I would like to see the Developers consider changing the Stat and Skill system to be more like the one used in the new Viking Conquest DLC.

In that system players and NPCs start with higher Stats.  They can put one point into them every 3 levels.  Skills on the other hand get multiple points for every level.  This gives players and companions the feel of having innate abilities or those learned from a lifelong background, while still allowing them to learn to do things to a degree of competency based on it.  Spending a year fighting as a Captain will see you improving in what you do at a rate expected by a player, instead of slowly becoming more deadly at the helm than a screaming child.

What this requires is much higher starting Stat levels, on the order of about what a level 20 character would have.  That means a little bit of work going through the module to tweak everyone's base Stats.  What it provides is a more realistic feeling experience while leveling up a character based on your backstory and more immediate helpful results from leveling up the experts in your party.
  2. james_manring

Suggestions and ideas

I would like to see the following additions to the game:

The ability to transfer ammunition from ship to ship.
    A ledger that records the prices of goods in the ports as we visit them.
    The ability to choose what ammunition type the ships in our fleet are using.
    The option to have a weaponsmith repair your damaged weapons.
    A take all button for the cargo loot screen.
  3. james_manring

Final Battle (SPOILERS)

I had about 90 max level archers, 20 various Vikings, 30 max level spearmen and infantry and 120 or so mid level spear and infantry with me when I did it.  All of my companions had great heavy armor and a horse as well so I had placed them in a Cavalry group that I usually have act as my retinue.  I've gone with wearing the best armor that doesn't have a penalty to movement and Berserker as my special trait.  I may be kind of squishy but that bridge troll sure didn't like me very much.  In key moments I'll go into my rage and thrash through enemy shields to destroy enemy elite troops quickly.  This battle didn't pose much of a challenge.  I just turned around and told my infantry to form a shieldwall and tighten up.  Then I placed my archers and told my companions to follow me.  It was over and I was on my way towards the town before Sven could shut his gaping jaw.
  4. james_manring

The future for the Brytenwalda team

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=RHsOUrhhKmY&list=UU1JOnWZrVWKzX3UMdpnvuMg

Is this what I think it is?  Sure looks like a Brytenwalda team future project game to me.  :smile:
  5. james_manring

SP Other WFaS Battle Size Changer v1.6

I hate to complain, but has anyone seriously thought of including battle size changes in their mod?  I have manually changed my battle sizes for years to add a higher cap.  My computer now can handle some ridiculously large battles, but the lack of flexibility for sieges and the fact that they are not designed for large troop confrontations really kills that style of combat.  Unless multiple parties attack at different points of the fortress it turns into a mob on mob limited by a single bottleneck.  On most maps there is not more than one way to attack a fortress.  This would require some rethinking, but I think it would make the game much more fun. 
  6. james_manring

F&S Bugs Thus far

cjkfire said:
    james_manring said:
    vaardal said:
    james_manring said:
    The game freezes my system when loading or exiting a battle scenario dialog either before or after a battle.  (e.g. Charge the Enemy, selecting prisoners after, or continuing into a fight with man in pub)  It does not happen every time, but happens often enough that I cannot play for more than 10 minutes without it happening.  It occurs in both DX7 and DX9 mode, with and without loading textures on demand, with and without forced single threading.  However, in DX9 mode loading my saved game freezes 90% of the time.  My computer well exceeds the minimum requirements with:
    AMD 1100T CPU
    ATI 6970 2GB GPU
    16GB DDR3 2000mhz RAM
    Ubuntu Linux 11.04 w/WINE 1.3.8 or WinXP 32bit

Mount and Blade: Warband works quite well on my system.  Both titles were purchased from Direct2Drive.
    try to defrag you pc or turn of many hidden running programs (go to run tybe msconfig and press enter) those solved lots of my problems

No, sorry.  That isn't at all my problem.  With the Linux OS it uses a journaling file system.  With WinXP it is on a small partition that is not fragmented one bit.  It is a clean install with no extra programs running.  Other games including Warband run excellent on both.  Lindsay, in an above post, describes having the same problem.

as is stated in the first post, did you try forcing single-threading and a 59 frame rate, also enabling v-sync. Do that, restart, and post if your problem continues :smile:. I used to have the issue of crashing but now I have none. My crashes in MB have also stopped; I theorize that this game is not friendly to multicores.

I did force single threading to no benefit.  I have limited the frame rate to 59 and tried v-sync, but that didn't do anything.  I would have to agree with you about the unfriendliness to multicores theory.  I find it odd that Warband doesn't have these issues.  I think it is a regression in the game engine with either the higher end AMD or ATI products.
  7. james_manring

F&S Bugs Thus far

vaardal said:
    james_manring said:
    The game freezes my system when loading or exiting a battle scenario dialog either before or after a battle.  (e.g. Charge the Enemy, selecting prisoners after, or continuing into a fight with man in pub)  It does not happen every time, but happens often enough that I cannot play for more than 10 minutes without it happening.  It occurs in both DX7 and DX9 mode, with and without loading textures on demand, with and without forced single threading.  However, in DX9 mode loading my saved game freezes 90% of the time.  My computer well exceeds the minimum requirements with:
    AMD 1100T CPU
    ATI 6970 2GB GPU
    16GB DDR3 2000mhz RAM

Mount and Blade: Warband works quite well on my system.  Both titles were purchased from Direct2Drive.
    try to defrag you pc or turn of many hidden running programs (go to run tybe msconfig and press enter) those solved lots of my problems

No, sorry.  That isn't at all my problem.  With the Linux OS it uses a journaling file system.  With WinXP it is on a small partition that is not fragmented one bit.  It is a clean install with no extra programs running.  Other games including Warband run excellent on both.  Lindsay, in an above post, describes having the same problem.
  8. james_manring

F&S Bugs Thus far

AMD 1100T CPU
    ATI 6970 2GB GPU
    16GB DDR3 2000mhz RAM

Back
Top Bottom