Recent content by imgran

1. imgran

Rain

Well it snows, soo....
  2. imgran

SP - Battles & Sieges The moshpit at the bottom of ladders in siege mode: A couple ideas how to fix it.

I would strongly advise getting the improved AI mod as part of the realistic battle mod. It fixes this. I mean sieges are a mess. Units will rout while on the ladders and try to climb down to flee blocking that ladder entirely, defenders will climb down ladders to their deaths for no reason what so ever, units cant get on ladders.
    This is a professional company that shouldn't be relying on mods to fix something this basic to the vanilla game. I get it with features the player base feels are missing or incomplete, but this is the one area where the devs need to do their own work.
  3. imgran

Fixing ladders needs to be the very next thing

Well, it’s true. I don’t do sieges. But because the ladder/tower problem is present in 90% of sieges I’ve tried.
    I just knock down the walls if I'm in any doubt that my guys can win. The AI handles that OK
  4. imgran

I'd not be surprised if they eventually swap all ladders with level-1 siege towers and remove the secondary gates. Problems solved. Release!
    Honestly that wouldn't be a terrible stopgap.
  5. imgran

Will TW finish the Perks?

It's a small team. Sometimes with a small team the best solution isn't thought of within the team.
  6. imgran

There's usually stuff to shoot at until the ladder is clear. I tend to play an archer anyway.
  7. imgran

Will TW finish the Perks?

Famous last words.

Also famous last words.

Too optimistic and too complex expectations.
    They could fix sieges right now with tools already clearly available to them.

All they need to do is take the time to recode the pathing so that soldiers don't all try to climb the ladders at once. Make it a specialty assignment like breaking the inner gate, or setting up the ladders, and you're done. The buulk of the ladder detachment could stand in formation 3 paces from the ladder while selected Soldiers would move to the ladders as assigned by the same algorithm that picks who gets to push the battering ram, the only problem then would be fine tuning the algorithm so that a steady stream of soldiers climb the ladder at any given time.

Right now, we have a moshpit at the bottom of ladders and there's so much pushing and shoving that no one can get to the exact point to start climbing. That's why we have this problem. So the other solution is just to make ladder collision easier by widening the area where troops attach to ladders, so you don't have to be standing in exactly one place to start climbing and the jostling isn't as disruptive to the climbing. That would also fix things.

either way, like I said, the tools are already in place and the fix should have been out months ago. It's not rocket science. I can only conclude that they're not diagnosing the problem correctly.
  8. imgran

Bannerlord was a grift

Bannerlord a grift? No. What it was, is a troubled project that's mostly playable but has a few features that are severely flawed and need work.

Quite frankly I can think of games released in much worse condition. Skyrim for one. In terms of both compexity and stability this game puts Skyrim to shame. Certainly Bannerlord's engine has Skyrim's beat by an order of magnitude, and Skyrim was released by an allegedly AAA developer, not bad work for a small team.

It's a game with a lot of issues but more positives than negatives. Was it ever going to live up to superfan expectations? No. TaleWorlds has never shown the kind of the coding skill required to pull off the masterpiece that fans wanted. With that said, I'd say with a straight face that Bannerlord is probably actually LESS flawed than vanilla Warband and has far more features. It's playable and even enjoyable. And its unit trees are far less broken than Warband where a handful of Knights can take entire castles on their own

If you want AAA polish, get it from a AAA company. TaleWorlds is not that and never has been. They're a small to medium sized developer that tried to make a massive game and discovered the hard way that the quick-good-cheap balance isn't so easily fooled. That's about it.

The problem with this game is that TaleWorlds' ambition was not matched by skill. They've done the best they can with what they are and aren't sure of the way forward or what to do to fix the remaining problems. That's understandable and could be where the story ends for Bannerlord. But no, this game was never a lie or a grift. There's a lot of hard work and passion that clearly went into this game. I got my money's worth out of it. It just might take more coding ability than the team has to finish the remaining systems in a way that satisfies those who, unlike the OP, haven't already been poisoned by their own illusions to expect far more than was possible of a small team making a big game.
  9. imgran

First campaign with births&deaths. Results?

There's actually mods for this. Houses of Calradia for one. TaleWorlds will probably eventually eat that one like they did with Settlement Icons

Basically clans that are low on breeding stock marry ASAP. You'll still lose some clans but this at least gives them a buffer if the campaign goes on long enough.
  10. imgran

I don't know how many times I have to say that a workaround is no substitute for a solution. Generally speaking I'm usually one of the best fighters in my army. I have better things to do than run over my soldiers in the hopes that that reminds them what ladders are.
  11. imgran

SP - Battles & Sieges The moshpit at the bottom of ladders in siege mode: A couple ideas how to fix it.

One of the reasons ladders aren't performing correctly in siege mode is that all of the units assigned to attack up a ladder (and this includes siege towers obviously) are all ordered to do so at once. This results in a pathing and collision nightmare that is obvious to anyone who stops to...
  12. imgran

There is nothing more immersion breaking in this game right now than how badly AI units do pathing up ladders. A lot of the main gameplay is at least up to levels of rough adequacy. But sieges and the ladder mosh puts are pre-beta level broken. It's not reasonable to expect fans to put up...
  13. imgran

Capital of the Calradic Empire

Probably in Lycaron, it's mentioned that there was a hippodrome there that was only recently destroyed.
  14. imgran

Almost two months into EA. Satisfied?

I'm happy enough. Some things I'd like to see improved but at this stage of EA that's to be expected. The game still needs a lot of polish but now at least the lion's share of the actual game is in our hands as we wait for new modules to expand on some of the features that are pretty basic right now

If this was the game we got at release and there had been no EA release, I would only be a little bit PO'd. All the basic features need tightening, but they are here. The battles are sufficiently epic in scope. The ambition of the game is obvious and it's a bit of fine tuning and polish and some tweaks to the AI away from getting there.

It's like an old fashioned house that's mostly built. The walls are still waiting to be lathed and plastered and the garden is still a mess of weeds, but the frame is good, and everything else is a bit of hard work away.
  15. imgran

You're not the king of your kingdom

also just because voting and election takes place does not mean its democratic, demos means people. democracy is when the common people gets to vote, not just the lords.
    Exactly, rule by the nation's elite/noble/bureaucrats is Republicanism, not Democracy.
Back
Top Bottom