Recent content by Ililsa

1. Ililsa

Best-dressed Warrior

The small pauldrons look fine to allow for mobility when fighting on foot, but then there's that lance rest for whatever reason, and a helmet so ugly it looks like it could be in Kingdom Come: Deliverance.

2. Ililsa

Weird Historical Amour and Weapons

Clearly it's designed to be worn as loop on the belt.
  3. Ililsa

General History Questions thread

Jacobhinds said:
    Chairman Maoundy said:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/todayilearned/comments/2ce59h/til_the_worlds_strongest_woman_arm_wrestled_an/ (They clearly aren't "average men")

I know that it's not scientific or anything, but it just shows that women are naturally weaker, cuz biology n' shiet.

The man had bigger biceps.
    The man was using his whole body weight to pull, essentially cheating.
    The man hadn't just arm wrestled another person.
    The man had slightly shorter arms giving him more leverage.

Gender biology only comes into play at the upper echelons of bodybuilding. The difference between the fastest female sprinter and the fastest male sprinter is pretty small (about a second), despite the 100m being the most optimised sport ever.

I'll add this video to Jacob's argument.

Arm wrestling isn't a good proof of BIOTROOFS.

I'll add that I think the burials are mainly high class women buried with high class items, rather than warrior women buried with their weapons.
    Maybe there were some warrior women?  Those cases pop up enough in history for it not to be a massive surprise when you find an example somewhere new, imo.

But sagas are fireside stories that only got written in the 13th Century, so I'd take their representation there with a pinch of salt.
  4. Ililsa

Say cheese: reenactment style

This is just for hanging up at shows I attend. I'm thinking of making a Stencil out of my design when I actually paint my Heater with it, but that won't be for a while yet.

I'd like to get a flat-topped kite at some point, but my priorities right now are tailoring mail, getting mail chausses and improving the standard of my civilian kit.
    Unfortunately I keep spending my money on HEMA gear. Whoops.
  5. Ililsa

Say cheese: reenactment style

Had a go at my own little heraldic shield for display, I'm utterly awful at anything artistic so this is probably about as good as it's going to get.

y1vwMB3.jpg

Nowhere near as neat as the nice bird and ermine shield that Roran's group has on display, but hey, even Matthew Paris got a bit slapdash with some of the heraldry he drew.

d9f74561aec7f849b6206ccdcace1e16.jpg
  6. Ililsa

Interesting, Humourous or Just Plain Weird Primary Sources

garfelf you fat cat !! said:
    I have another translation where the Swede', Pole's, Hungarian's and Muscovite's personalities are:

Swede: Cruel. Pole: More cruel. Hungarian: Most cruel. Muscovite: Like Hungarian.

IoDfp.png

Quite a bit of that translation makes more sense, I definitely prefer the Hungarians ruler being put down as 'Doesn't matter' though.

Captured Joe said:
    Jacobhinds said:
    It's so butthurt, is it mostly a joke? The "invincible" bit for germans seems that little bit too over the top.
    Also it really hates the Hungarians, I wonder why :iamamoron:

Basically why I think it's Austrian.
  7. Ililsa

I'd say the France comparison still stands then.
  8. Ililsa

Его Высокопревосходительство said:
    Why would the French love war when they always lose?

*takes a bow*

Why does Skeletor think fighting is fun when He-Man always beats him?
  9. Ililsa

This German (maybe from a bitter Austrian) chart of European stereotypes circa 1720.

bKVdeIV.jpg

0nlCoKt.jpg
  10. Ililsa

Best-dressed Warrior

Beats staying home, doing laudanum and writing poetry.
  11. Ililsa

Best-dressed Warrior

Areze said:
    19th century uniforms are uniformly (huehue) hideous anyway.

7U1bjNW.jpg

O99P0DE.jpg

96AOFuH.jpg
  12. Ililsa

Best-dressed Warrior

Edgar Allan Poe said:
    Ililsa said:
    They had the alt-right in 18th century China?

Haven't you played any Assassin's Creed game before? You would know, if you had, that SJWs are at a millennia-old war with the Alt-Right.

I stopped paying attention to everything but the environment design and free-running after I read about the Assassin's Creed explanation for World War 2.

Austyboo ^_^ said:
    teutonic_knight_by_miki9009-d84bs7j.jpg

Highly inaccurate, examples of a Crusader's pauldrons are usually ten times that size.
  13. Ililsa

Best-dressed Warrior

They had the alt-right in 18th century China?
  14. Ililsa

What made you lose faith in humanity today?

Goulashnikov said:
    Shamelessly stolen from Otto.

Can't say I lost faith here - more that I never had it.
  15. Ililsa

Best-dressed Warrior

It's referring to the decoration, simply. I did a search wondering if it was some sort of Damascus steel armour, since the idea of it was just hurting my mind a little.

Damaskeening is the American watchmaking term, more applicable to armour would be Damascening, though both are using gold to make a pattern over another metal.

The Lion Armour from the Royal Armouries is an example of damascened armour that definitely deserves to be in this thread.

2ndYCLZ.jpg
Back
Top Bottom