Recent content by Ignorance112

1. SP - General The Ultimate Suggestion Thread

Ai Battle Tactics

Currently they pretty much suicide charge, I would take a page out of the historical writing of De re military for inspiration on how armies fight. The attacks should always start off with the skirmishers/archers engaging, and then followed with infantry with the cavalry held in reserve to be use as flankers or to take out the other factions’ cavalry.

Infantry Formations Marching

First thing I would like to see is when infantry is in formations like shieldwall they march like they do in siege battles which looks amazing. Infantry formations need some work and need to stop cavalry a little better.

Spear Formations

A phalanx/spear wall formation should be added that allows multiple ranks of spears to fight! At least 2 would be a good start where the second rank uses the overhand attack to attack over the first rank.

Infantry Collision

Melees currently are a spastic blob of instant death, it looks like a combination of troops moving too fast and lack of collision. I would look at Wolin festival Viking battles for inspiration on shieldwall clashes and improve formation vs formation battles to where melee stalemates can occur creating a no man’s land between formations making flanking a more viable tactic.

@[U]armagan[/U] I don't know if you will ever see this thread but if you do thank you and your team for all your hard work!

There has already been a lot of discussion about these aspects in this thread https://forums.taleworlds.com/index...m-with-combat-unit-collision-and-mass.409576/ but i feel like id like to add a bit criticism/advice here as well.
    In my opinion a relatively easy way to at least determine what it is that is making combat feel like a big death blob would be to take a look at Warbands combat collision system, see what players liked about that and what the fundamentals of that are and then build up from there, because i think most people can agree that currently Warbands system is better for mass combat than the one we have in Bannerlord(but this does not mean we should just settle for the exact same as Warband and not strive for something even better).
    Though if this method of imitating Warbands system and building up from there is not possible because of engine limitations or other such technological shortcomings i do have another suggestion for how to go about fixing up mass combat. This second method is just using basic logic/common sense, i assume that the devs have control over how much units get "pushed around" whenever they either interact with other units or the environment and the solution, though time consuming, would be to just go through play-test how any given scenario works and to just think about whether the outcome seems logically consistent or follows common sense/intuition. For example: if you have a line of 10 or so mounted troops charge head first into a formation of 40 spear-men what is the logical expected out come, most of the mounted units are either injured or killed while some get away riding to the sides and the infantry hold their position and are mostly unharmed. But if in that scenario you get a result that just seems illogical or goes against what common sense tells you, like for example the cavalry just riding through the infantry mostly unscathed and passing completely through the formation right down the centre of it(which is what happens right now in game) you should adjust the settings for "collusion" or find out what ever the actual problem is. Then just repeating this process while adjusting the settings or what ever until it seems like things are behaving the way they should be, but also making sure that this does not cause some other problems down the line.
  2. In Progress Most recent update crashes every time, can't play at all

I had the same issue, I checked the intergity of the game files and now it seems to be working
    I tried that it acquired one file, but it still keeps crashing.
  3. In Progress Most recent update crashes every time, can't play at all

I seem to have the same issue and none of the things I've tried work.
  4. The Big Problem with Combat -- Unit collision and mass

Also for clarification, when i say simulationism or simulationist in this context i don't mean the auto-resolver or anything like that, i mean trying to as accurately as possible to simulate the course of a battle with all the different interactions that occur there. Basically trying to make the battle as "realistic" as possible within the limits of the game.
  5. The Big Problem with Combat -- Unit collision and mass

Oh i also somehow completely forgot to go into how this proposed system would not actually work that well for mass combat since in M&B units even if they are grouped up under one unit-type/name they are still "individuals" so like all sorts of problems arise when trying to use this system for stuff like, people turning around in big masses of units and having to in a split second recalculate and apply the result of an action. For example lets say there is a blob of units from both sides fighting in melee combat and one person goes to take a swing at someone whos front is to them, but the target as the swing starts turns around and is now facing the other AI combatant with their back turned and shield/weapon away from them for purposes if blocking. In a small fight this would not be an issue, but in larger battles there are many more examples of more and more and more extra factors piling up that need to be taken into account and that are all subject to change at a moments notice. Also how would you deal with AI that are nearby enough to the player that the player could really quickly get to them, but are in the moment using this %chance based combat system. Like for example if a player is mounted on a fast horse and riding around the battle field how would the AI work if starting out they are in the %chance system and not being simulated properly, then needing to be simulated properly as the player rides past and maybe kills one of them and then keeps going and they revert back to the %chance based system? Would that not cause problems and make the AI in battle look really discombobulated etc.
  6. The Big Problem with Combat -- Unit collision and mass

My personal opinion on this is it doesn't make sense to me that combat specifically between AI has to be subjected to the same level of physics collision reliance as the player. The player is the only one who appreciates the feedback from a heavily physics dependent combat resolution.

I feel like combat resolution between AI fighting could be made to use less physics/collision/hitbox reliance, and add a bit more CRPG style hit%, block% crit% auto-attack/ autoblock fighting when fighting amongst themselves, with values derived from troop stats, especially since physics is already particularly janky and makes agents shuffle and bounce around in mob situations, and collision being such a mess, creating for a very chaotic and inconsistent melee combat simulation. It will also remove the need for every single AI to constantly track its movement vectors vs target projected vectors, attack/block direction, attack animation timing calculations, and predictions. AI simply gets in range to target enemy AI, makes correct facing and distance adjustment, makes attack/defense rolls, resolved and reflected through a bit of movement and animation.

How much does it matter what goes on under the hood for resolution between AI fighting, when player won't see most of it in a large battle, since we're too busy fighting ourselves or giving orders while focusing more on troop formations and position anyway. I'd care more that my elite infantry is holding the line while fighting and defending effectively and my cavalry lancing enemy archers reliably, but it's hard to make the AI be reliable while subjecting it to a very unreliable mob physics, messing up its calculations with a slight bump, bad collision or a minor shuffle.

Perhaps the physics collision-based combat resolution could only apply to player (when striking at an AI agent) and AI targeting the player, where the impact and feedback of it matters.
    If the overhaul you propose were to be implemented i think more people would be unhappy than happy with it, since the main issue is not the battle results from the current bad AI behaviour, but rather the behaviour itself. M&B has always been about proper simulationism not approximate simulationism like titles such as Rome Total War etc. Currently the reason we are critiquing this behaviour is that its both broken and leads to inaccurate/wrong losses and victories. It is not that we only want battles to be made more realistic in their results and how what sort of troops interact when fighting, but also that the process by which we get there also be fun and at least to the standard as the previous game. Since currently i think if TW were to make it so that combat would feel about the same as in WB then most people would be satisfied to some extent. Also would you keep this system separate when in "small" battles, such as attacking a hideout with a few men or would you keep it the same there? If you would change the system depending on the battle size, what is your line in the sand in terms of what constitutes a "small" or "large" battle. We would also have to think about how this affects tournaments since those are another part of the game where you cannot avoid having "small" battles where AI v AI will happen. Another thing i want to point out, but one that im not that sure on, is that it would probably take more money/time/man-hours to revamp this whole system into a new one rather than fixing the currently existing one. There is one aspect to this that i personally don't know enough about to know how it would work out, but how would projectiles (arrows, bolts, javelins, stones etc.) be treated in this, is there just a 75% chance that your low-mid tier soldier has their shield up and can block it or is it just a 100% block rate if they do have it up? Also how would shield health work in this situation with the blocks/misses from the opponent, since currently shield health only goes down if you miss the character, but hit the shield, would there need to be a calculation for "this person did not hit so now we need to do a calculation to see if they hit the shield or missed entirely". Also how would you make the mounted combat work in this proposed system when it comes to speed modifiers since currently even if you are going at someone at a high speed you still need to angle your weapon properly or you wont do much damage, how would you work that into a %chance rolling system without still needing to simulate out the angles, speed, change of angle etc.?
    One more thing to point out would also be that either in small battles or events (such as thug/gang fights in cities) this would make the players tactical decision making moot, since even if you position your troops well there still is just an X% chance that the enemy get lucky and win rather than fulling simulating the battle out how its supposed to be.
    Also in this proposed system there is much more of a chance for "unrealistic" things to happen, such as a peasant getting lucky with their rolls on the % chance to do certain combat actions and them beating up a much higher tier unit. Whilst in the current system it is almost impossible for that to happen excluding outside factors such as: the higher tier unit being heavily damaged from a previous fight, them looking in a different direction because they are paying attention to another unit or anything else like that.
    To reiterate on this one point, its not that people want the results of the battle to be logical and they don't care by what means we get there, but rather that this simulationist style of going through a battle is a core element of the M&B experience and currently in this entry to the franchise it is broken and needs addressing.
    So yes, most M&B players do care about what "goes on under the hood" since that is not just a function of the game that leads to the fun, for a lot if not the majority of the players that is the fun. Fighting in battles, seeing fights go on around you, having theses fights last for more than 2 minutes and also knowing that in terms of whats going on around its not some "RNG fest", but rather a "properly" simulated battle (to whatever extent you can simulate a battle like this, but thats a different discussion for another time) and also knowing that their tactics in terms of even the most minute troop placement matters.
    So overall whilst the proposed system is a good one for other games i think that it is not fit for a M&B game and it would be better to just fix the current system rather than making an entirely new one and possibly alienating a lot of the more dedicated player base.
  7. The Big Problem with Combat -- Unit collision and mass

Recently I've been playing a more army building oriented play through and i have to say that the "blob combat" is also a huge issue when you are trying to have your men hold a position, but then if even a small amount of enemies get near to them they break formation and just try to hug the opposing side as much as possible.
  8. Glad that beta version was tested before going live /sarcasm

One thing id like to add is that the caravan nerf really affects people who want to just go for a merchant style play through. For example i was not making huge amounts of money from battles, captured enemy towns & castles being awarded to me or any other sort of "lord/ruler" end game stuff.
    For me most money came from caravans, workshops and personally buying & selling goods. So with the recent changes to caravans my play style has basically been neutered completely.
    Now if this is all that this change amounts to it would not be that big of a deal, but still some what disappointing. The main thing that i worry about right now is that TW seems to be taking the game in a direction of "this is how you are supposed to play", where they are not supporting/rewarding non-conventional play styles (bandit leader, merchant, lone-wolf etc) and instead are quite heavily focusing on & rewarding the more "normal/mainstream" play style of raising an army almost from the start, then becoming a lord and eventually making your own kingdom etc.
    This might be because they want to appeal more to the casual audience and this "normal" play style is the one that most new and casual players tend to go for. So eventually we get into this self-fulfilling/repeating loop where: TW "forces" the "normal" play style -> new/casual players like that style -> that part of the player base grows -> TW is incentivised again to push/support that style -> repeat on end.
  9. Need some help with caravans.

Is it possible to change which companion is in charge of a certain caravan without resetting/deleting the progress on profits? If its not possible to change which companion is in charge, how much of a "hit" do you normally take if you restart a caravan? Ty in advance if you know the answers to...
  10. Is anyone else having this graphical issue as of the latest update?

Ever since the latest hot-fix/update whenever in battle, any blood on grass turns purple if viewed from a far enough distance. Up close it looks normal, but when riding more than 15m or so away from the blood splatter on the grass turns purple. Is anyone else experiencing this issue, if so any...
Back
Top Bottom