Recent content by Humlenerd

1. Humlenerd

Official Bug Report Thread. Post all problems here!

The game crashes when I'm starting a new game.
  2. Humlenerd

The Refugee Kafuffle

ancalimon said:
    According to this guy, some European countries will race each other to take refugees in in the near future.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Friedman
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Next_100_Years
    Can't wait for Turkey and Japan to start ww3.
    This book is satire, right?
  3. Humlenerd

L'Aigle Patch 1.4 Release + 1.41 Hotfix!

Teseract said:
    Does the eternal peace bug still exist?
    Anyone?
  4. Humlenerd

L'Aigle Patch 1.4 Release + 1.41 Hotfix!

This thread needs to be stickied.
    Great work, Docm  :smile:
  5. Humlenerd

The Refugee Kafuffle

Cyborg Eastern European said:
    Just Germany being Germany.  :facepalm:

They're actually offering them to sleep in the guard's barracks, so... that's a little better, I guess.
  6. Humlenerd

Ukraine Today

Mage246 said:
    I was pointing out the faulty logic of comparing troop numbers, not saying whether he was right or wrong about whether Finland has a stronger military than Sweden. Comparing reserves is a completely pointless exercise, too. It's the kind of idiotic comment that internet generals make when they start talking about how strong North Korea is. By that logic, North Korea is stronger than Russia, which has both a smaller active and reserve military. Numbers don't matter anymore if you don't have the right resources behind them.
    Wow. My greentext caused quite the uproar :eek:
    I was just making a finny observation
    Finland stronk, Sweden weak, soon Suomi shall rule kötbullar.

Back on topic! http://www.unian.info/politics/1073404-groysman-more-than-100-ukrainian-soldiers-killed-in-donbas-since-ceasefire.html
  7. Humlenerd

Ukraine Today

PinCushion said:
    Okay. This is a bit off-topic although a couple of days ago an unknown submarine were intruding Finish naval territory outside of Helsinki (The Finish capital).

The Finns dropped bombs on them as a warning.

The Swedish military would have barely done anything in order to avoid diplomatic issues......I wish we could be more like the Finns.
    >implying Sweden has a military.

Sweden can muster like... 51 000 men? Finland can muster over 300 000.
  8. Humlenerd

Pets pics

Havoc said:
    Woke up this morning to see the neighbor's cat at the window looking for Moby.

QxGAb.jpg
    IUBwb.jpg
    So much beautiful vegetation :eek: I want to live where you live.
  9. Humlenerd

Kicking anxiety in the arse?

Adorno said:
    Humlenerd said:
    ... depression is very biological in its nature, synapses are atrophied, most likely due to hypercortisolomy...
    From where do you have this information, articles?
    Can you give some links, because I'm interested  :smile:
    I get the information from the books I'm required to study at university. I don't have any link's where I've gotten the information from, but I guess http://www.healthline.com/health/depression/effects-brain gives a quick summary. I would've posted some articles here if I had access to the databases I need to dig up the well done studies, but I need the university IP  to do so. I'll see what I can find when I'm back there.

But the most important thing about its biological origins is bipolar depression. BP has a heritability estimated to be at 80%, and the effects of traumatic experiences and such is little to non-existent to whether a person with BP enters a new depressive episode or not.
  10. Humlenerd

Vermillion_Hawk said:
    I have a bit of a problem when people say that anxious/depressed people "need" medication. I would certainly agree that taking medication, if you're suicidal and the medication would prevent it, is probably good in those types of situations, but relying on medication totally to deal with anxiety/depression seems, to me at least, to only be putting a patch on a larger issue. That's just the way it seems to me.
    Being able to deal with depression through the means of psychotherapy is great, and works for a lot of people, absolutely, and I encourage people with GAD to go through CBT if they are working on a high enough cognitive level to do so. Indication to use medication is when psychotherapy can't work. That's not only if the person i suicidal, psychotherapy can work sometimes(but not encouraged) in these cases, but also in cases where the person has a much lower cognitive functioning and can not go through with psychotherapy(this happens more often than you think, depression is very biological in its nature, synapses are atrophied, most likely due to hypercortisolomy), a depression dominated by vegetative symptoms(hyposomnia, hypersomnia, bulge eating, psychomotoric retardation, physical pain etc.), psychosis,  and high comorbidity(GAD, OCD, anorexia nervosa, bulimia, substance abuse etc.). So there are absolutely people who need medication, you can't talk a person out of a bipolar psychotic depression. Medication and psychotherapy compliments each other, it's not either one of them.

But once again, I encourage people with OCD, GAD etc. to try CBT as it's very effective.

11. Humlenerd

Adorno said:
    You're very keen on promoting antidepressants in a thread about anxiety.
    Do you have an conflicts of interest?
    Granted, the two often go together - I believe about 30% of people with depression have anxiety.
    That's our rigid way of putting mental phenomena in boxes labelled diagnoses (and conveniently making it treatable for money).

Humlenerd said:
    Foehn wind and such...
    PossibleLateBovine.gif
    I'm promoting it because I don't want him to abstain from medicines if his condition indicates that he needs it. Also other reading this thread. Also, I only brought up ionazed wind as an example, it's not like psychiatrists and psychologists says "oh, you scored ~12 on MADRS, you better go and inhale some good ol' ionized wind!".

@kurczak -Psychodynamic therapy is not efficient at all. It should be considered a historical relic, and has nothing to do in modern treatment. Even telephone-ladies has shown to been more effective than psychodynamic therapy :wink:

I'm a spy from Pfizer
  12. Humlenerd

AWdeV said:
    Úlfheðinn said:
    Not really sure why anyone should be taking medication (natural or pharmacological or tea based) for anxiety disorders beyond a last resort, after all anxiety disorders are one of the few psychological disorders that there there are highly effective treatment plans for (using CBT that work about 95% of the time if my memory serves me correct).

And that is not based on some random ideas or beliefs, but rather a good amount of empirical studies, which showed amongst other things that behavioral therapy worked better to prevent panic attacks than medication.

can confirm, belped a hunch.

Humlenord, what the **** is ionized wind?
    Foehn wind and such.  Wind with more negative ions. It's only an alternative, and should not be used as treatment for people with moderate depression and up(MADRS >20 etc.).

Regarding CBT. It works great if the person having it doesn't have any interfering comorbidity and is able to think clearly.  But the thing is that it's often accompanied by depressions. Would CBT help if your'e having both a depression and GAD? Well, that depends on how deep the depression is, and of course, if the depression is characterized by melancholy(somatic syndrome). CBT or any psychotherapy will be of no help if the depression is deep(MADRS>34 etc.). That's not only because of symptoms such as apathy, reduced energy or the GAD making the depression more exhausting. People with heavy depressions have cognitive problems as well. That includes reduced working memory, executive functioning, and long-time memory. Medicines is the best alternative in this case, and should be accompanied by psychotherapy when the person's cognitive levels have risen to an appropriate level, but it's useless until then.

The rule is that antidepressants are more effective the deeper the depression is(and some might increase the suicide risk initially, but they're more effective in the long run, which will be the rule for many of its users(Cochrane analyses)). If it's not deep, then psychotherapy can work alone.
  13. Humlenerd

Bromden said:
    Blindly trusting modern medicine is about as stupid as blindly trusting some holistic witch doctors. Especially as pharmas known to repress and torpedo research on the use of various herbs, which my country has aplenty. After all, why would they support drinking a tea from plants you picked for free, when you can reach the same effect with taking a 20€ pill.
    That's unethical in every way possible. Thing are different here. We learn about herbs and how and when they can be applied in psychopharmacology here in Norway. Heck, my psychopharmacology book even suggests ionized wind as a treatment for people with very mild depression.
    @Adorno, I can't access your sources. Maybe it's because I can't use the databases I need when I'm not at the university, all I have access to at home is ****ty pubMed. Regarding Fontex, they don't downplay its suicidal bieffects, it say's here in the doctor manuals here that people using Fontex should  be watched regularly due to high suicide tendencies. Even side effects such as reduced growth in height, incomplete puberty(for those under 18 on Fontex) etc. It's like you say, out in the open.

I'm not saying that all antidepressants are good, just like not all somatic medicine is good(Ketamine, for example, holy **** that stuff is effective for short period treatment, but so much dependency and side effects. Even medicines such as anti-aspasmica, anti-arythmica etc. ). All of them have some side effect, and flouxetine dihydrocloride is used rarely here in Norway, its only  application is eating disorders, and as far as I know, that's only because of its long halftime. Paroxetine(Seroxat) is also used rarely over here. Also, it's not like antidepressants are wonder medicines, they're only 15% more effective than placebo(results may be affected by the fact that most clinical depressions lasts about 3-6 months and end naturally during the study).
    But you're right that these two are dangerous antidepressants, but that does not make all antidepressants dangerous. As I wrote earlier, suicide rates went up after the US. government warned about prescription of antidepressants. Meanwhile, several studies have results which points in the direction that antidepressants reduce suicide rates(Jules Angst, maybe a part of his Zürich study). It would still be interesting to read those articles you cited, I will see if I can when I'm at the uni.

I encourage Havoc to go to his doctor, then to a psychiatrist if that's possible, and get some antidepressants and maybe benzodiazepines if you're having trouble sleeping. But not if you need your brain the hours after you wake up(take a benzo every other night to avoid discontinuation symptoms or withdrawal if you're using them for a long period) :wink: And of course psychotherapy, medicine applied in a psycho-pathological setting has reduced effects without psychotherapy.
  14. Humlenerd

YourStepDad said:
    Humlenerd said:
    Adorno said:
    Benzopdiazepines should be taken at a maximum of 14 days, because of severe addiction and side effects.
    Useless for anxiety. In my opinion they should not even be sold.

SSRI are also proven to be addictive and can lead to self harming behaviour/suicide (somethin the pharmaceutical companies lie about).
    All in all the effects of antidepressants as a whole are so exaggerated that it's likely not effective
    against anything but severe depressions (often at a stage where the person is in need of electroconvulsive therapy).

An interesting study found better effect of exercise than Sertralin (Zoloft) on depression.*

You're better off convincing yourself you have a bowel disease and take chaga**, than rely on a dubious effects of antidepressants and all the side effects.

*Babyak M, Blumenthal JA, Herman S et. al. Exercise treatment for major depression  [...] PsychosomMed; sept/okt. 2000;62:633-8
    **Sarcasm
    I take it that  you're an American since you're claiming that SSRIs increase the risk of suicide. I'm still in a hurry, so what I'm going to write might be horse****, but I'll give it a try.
    The studies claiming that SSRIs are incresing the chances of suicide have results which are affected by bias(no pharmaceutical conspiracy to hide side-effects). This bias is not intentional, but a result of not thinking studies thorugh well enough. What is this bias? Well, the bias is that most of these data are taken from people who has been hpositalized or gone to a psychiatrist. Why would this matter? Well, it matters because the people ending up in these sitations already have more suicidal thought and prior attempts. The thing was that when the US government tried to restrict SSRIs because of this, the amount of suicides went straight up. Studies from Gotland Sweden(Wolfgang Rutz) has results conficting with the American studies, the results of his study showed that the amount of suicides or suicide attemps during the period after doctors took a course in which they were encouraged to give more antidepressants including SSRIs dropped. Other studies has given the same results as well.

Regarding benzodiazepines. Arsenazepam, Nitrazepam, Flunitrazepam and the heavy ones should not be taken for a longer period of time. But it is, however, possible to take oxazepam or diazepam for more than two weeks. Of course it's not ideal due to the sedation(especially diazepam), but it works for some.

And be carefull with the word "proved". This is not detective work, it's science, and results are "proven" on very few occasions.

Another theory about the apparent increase in "suicidal thoughts" and thus potential suicide rates in regards to any substance that helps alleviate depression is that people prior to the medication are too lethargic, apathetic and devoid of all energy to proceed with any steps of going through with a suicide plan. Basically once the medicine starts working enough to help a person's energy level they are more able to commit willpower into thinking of suicide and proceeding with it. The warning itself is rather ambiguous and put there to protect the manufacturer rather than the consumer anyway.
    That's actually a very plausible theory, and gives an explanation to why psychotherapy has been associated with increased suicide rates in the beginning of therapy(STAR-D study, I believe). 
    @Adorno, I'll look into what you wrote tomorrow. It's sleepy time for me now  :fruity:
Back
Top Bottom