Recent content by Harkonnen

1. Harkonnen

In Progress Can't solve lord quest to bring soldiers to his garrison i <castle>

+1 - has just happened to me. Exactly the same, can't enter the castle to finish the garrison troops quest as I'm at -1 disposition.
  2. Harkonnen

MP Disable Seige machine trolling

Just came off a match where something interesting happened - someone unfortunate on the defending team decided to leave the castle ramparts and actively push the enemy siege machines towards the castle, and then use them on the castle doors. Without any friendlyfire option, the defending team...
  3. Harkonnen

Controller Rumble Toggle

Small request/missing feature - the ability to turn off rumble on connected controller pads. I'm playing with mouse and keyboard but my Xbox 360 controller is vibrating loudly on the desk whenever my character is struck. A toggle in the game's menus to turn rumble support off, rather than...
  4. Harkonnen

Crepuscular Rays

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrS1uJ7faqM&feature=related

This is a good example of how it works in MGE powered Morrowind. It's only ever that strong at sunset and dawn, and is quite subtle, though still present, throughout the rest of the day. It's very well done, features no performance hit at all for me, and seriously makes the environment as a whole seem more dynamic and immersive.

At no point during hours of play has it ever made me think of 'shoddily-done "fixed" sun rays that were placed on the map.
  5. Harkonnen

Crepuscular Rays

Given that the MGE guys have got it working brilliantly in morrowind, I suspect this would be doable (in terms of it not killing the engine performance wise; although in terms of whether or not the engine is actually capable of/it can be worked into it, I have absolutely no idea).

would look real good with polished landscapes, I suspect.
  6. Harkonnen

MP Fantasy [WB] Khazad-dûm (Banner added!)

You are horrible people, and deserve eternal damnation.

Except Faradon of course. That can wait till he finishes the mod.

btw, the beta was fun....
  7. Harkonnen

RPz

Ahhk.

I suppose the variety of play styles can't hurt this either.
  8. Harkonnen

RPz

RP?
  9. Harkonnen

Question: tread about couching

Yukuai said:
    Block a couched lance? it's impossible (no, shields are not a block: are only a futile defense against an attack that will destroy any shield in 2 hits). Ok for the dodge but I can demostrate that the player that dodge usually can't do significant damage to the coucher and so the coucher can try, try, try, since he kill the dismounted one.
    Even the cheapest of shields will prevent you from being one-hit k'oed. If, as you say, sheilds can prevent even 2 full on couch hits, then obviously they are not 'futile' :smile:

Why on earth should a player expect to be able to easily dodge out of the way of hundreds of pounds of charging flesh and pointy steel, and expect to be able to to do significant damage without incurring significant risk? The Infantry player shouldn't have put himself in that position in the first place. Situational awareness and actually thinking about where you are moving should always be skills of primary importance, especially to Infantry on the open field.
    Yukuai said:
    You talk about realism/balance but irl a lance will break up after 1 (max 2) couching damage, in WB a coucher can kill 10, 20, 30 enemies without problem. This is the problem :smile:
    AWdeV made some good points on this. I'm also under the impression that the devs have said that breakable weapons won't be added into the game, so this seems like a no-go point of discussion.
    Yukuai said:
    ...Toggle degrees from the angle of couching, if it's now 30°, make it 15° (but this don't stop the couch spamming)
    I meant Infantry spears; I often have difficulty, say, thrusting a spear from foot into the side of a horse which has just seen said speer and veered off to the side, even though the the model of the spear obviously passes the horse mesh. Infantry with the proper equipment are, i think, underpowered against cav because of this.
  10. Harkonnen

Question: tread about couching

tie couched lance damage to the horse's charge stat (making couching from saddle horse or courser not a very valid way of fighting
    Tying couched lance damage to an arbitrary charge value would not only be unrealistic, but would also be un-immersive and at odds with the games internal consistency. As it is now, that  dynamic speed mechanic significantly adds to the game.

make lances actually cost money, so you can't get a hunter + lance without getting money
    Why make lances expensive? they are essentially long sticks with a small shaft of metal on the end. Although they undoubtedly required a large amount of effort to make, I doubt that the effort required to make a lance would be more than the incredibly complex processes one has to go through to gather the resources and skills needed to make even a 'simple' sword - especially one that is made out of decent quality steel and is properly balanced. As for game balance, look below.

In the new patch, couched lancing seems to rule the field again :mad:
    IMO, that is exactly how it should be. Highly mobile, fast and powerful creatures should dominate any battle that takes place in the open. Reducing the power of cavalry would be entirely unrealistic, and would also take away from one of the most fun aspects of the game. Making couched lancing more inaccessible to players would detract a lot from the fun involved in the 'titular' mount part of the game.

It was far worse earlier on, when everybody (including I) was just thrusting their lances at impossible angles left and right, causing one hit kills from obscure directions, and couching was almost entirely ignored. As it is now, couching has to be done deliberately and purposefully; giving any player who is aware of his surroundings ample time to move or retaliate in some way. Although is somewhat hampered in a 'chaotic team battle', that particular experience is also immersive, fun, and downright exciting; and made more so by the potential lethality of an unobserved horseman.

The important thing however, is that in most cases, if the player involved is aware of his surroundings, he can easily dodge, or even just block, a couched lance. If the horseman can land a hit despite this, he is satisfyingly rewarded with a kill (as realistically he should be). I agree with you on making a horseman's approach more obvious through sound.

The argument concerning couching mechanics is one of those at the forefront of the realism/balance/fun debate. As it is now, I think the 'dominance' of the couched lance on the open field makes perfect sense within the context of the game. Rather than 'devaluing' cavalry in any way, the only significant problem remaining is the seemingly random effectiveness of [edit:Infantry) spears against cavalry (and other inf) at any other angle than a perfectly straight one. This seems to be more a hitbox issue than anything else.

11. Harkonnen

Polished Landscapes test version [RELEASED]

I've got them both working together perfectly; and combined with the Conquest mod. Install polished landscapes over a copy of native or whatever, and then install buildings over that. Don't copy the module file from one mod over another; instead you need to combine them, so manually add all the unique entries from the polished buildings module file (which are outlined clearly in the readme) into the module file for landscapes (or both into another modded file if you are installing into another mod).

The important thing is too make sure that you add mod to all the relevant load_resource lines in the module file, in all instances where that's present in the polished mods module files. None of the resources from the two mods collide or anything; you just need to combine the module files together so that M&B knows the resources from both mods are there and usable. Hope that helps.
  12. Harkonnen

[suggestion] weapon hotkeys and saveable equipment loadouts

I still think savable load-outs would be a good idea; I've had to sit through entire rounds in the zombii server because I took too long selecting my kit.
Back
Top Bottom