2. GingerYeoman

ZHG and ZHG TDM servers thread

Smile! You're on camera!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDywtbqRJZs

from Monday 20th May 2013 roughly 1800 GMT
  3. GingerYeoman

Suggestions and Critique

ZnasVecKo said:
    1. Get the following: a horse, a crossbow, a shield (preferably kite), a spear or sword.
    2. Get your men into a line at the very beginning if you have archers or crossbowmen. If not, skip this step.
    3. Wait until your ranged troops have given the raiders all they have.
    4. Order them to retreat (also use this if the raiders get too close).
    5. Fight the raiders.
    NOTE: Once you defeat them the first time you might get the armor their captain has. This will make your job easier. Also, if you find it too hard, reduce the damage you and your allies take.

Or, 6. Sea battle
    7. Die.

Or
    6. Horse gets hit by a lucky shot to the head from a javelin.
    7. Die

Or
    6. 3 Raiders ignore you and continue to slaughter your entire band
    7. Win, but have no warband left
    8. Get caught by another raider band because they are so common
    9. Die

It is not a lack of skill in any way shape or form - I have no difficulty in defeating most players in MP nor in ruling the world in most other mods, but starting in Britain is nigh-on impossible because the first thing you meet are raiders, and at some point you must go out to sea because, well, it's Britain.

Nor do I understand how bandits are better equipped than most armies.

Less shields, less mail, less veteran raiders (There always seems to be more veterans than raiders) and a slightly reduced skill so that your guys stand a half decent chance.

Or simply an option to pay them off - they're bandits it's what they want.

You talk of tactics - show me where in any battle in the 1200s the lord rode around firing crossbow bolts at the entire enemy army while his force stood on a hill.

*edit*
    In your video your men do a lot better job of killing raiders than mine, my guys always just get slaughtered and the only raiders that have ever been killed in my battles are ones killed by me.
  4. GingerYeoman

Suggestions and Critique

Yet another game ruined by Raiders.

The whole "Just run away and shoot at them" is utter crap, and has pissed me off because what on earth do you think the rest of my army does? Somehow not die while the bloody super-men run around?

I had 22 men, granted mostly serfs but with a scattering of higher ranks, a half decent hero, and 6 mercenary crossbowmen. I met a group of 8 (Not 18, or 80, bloody 8!) Raiders in the Irish Sea. No raiders dead (despite two point-blank headshots to the raider captain from my nomad bow) and I end up with 11 guys left, 3 of them wounded. I proceed to flee, but hey, they're raiders! And as we all know there were definitely sprinting bands of heavily armoured knights who attack everything they see who were able to run faster than an Olympic sprinter all day in the year 1200 and so they caught me again and killed almost my entire warband.

You can't pay them off, you can't outrun them, you can't fight them. What is the point of them? What are they there to add to the game other than to **** people off at the start.

Yes, I am angry. This could be a good mod, but every game I've started has been utterly ruined by magical "raiders" appearing out of no where and massacring my entire warband while barely taking a casualty.

"If you can get a horse and a lance"
    Again, what does the rest of my army do while I'm prancing around dodging the bazillion throwing weapons trying to lance them? They just have to die, which then ruins the game because my entire force has been killed & I'm left by myself, and it only takes a couple of lucky hits for my horse to die then I don't stand a chance.

Also, what happens when you meet them at sea? You don't stand a chance there either because they just steam roll you because they are magical bandits who can afford better armour than the King of England!

Cheers for committing mod-suicide

*edit*
    So I can actually play your mod have used Morgh's thingymabob to remove their silly amount of armour. As for the Raider Armour, the Raider Captain is equipped with it.
  5. GingerYeoman

Suggestions and Critique

Not sure how else you can fight them with a small ish band. I just think it's not really fair that even half decent troops don't even get a single kill because they are so well armoured, and that the second I get my horse killed (from the bazillion thrown weapons they have) I have to find one with leather armour (which their aren't many of, usually 1 or 2) before I can even do some damage :/
  6. GingerYeoman

Suggestions and Critique

Too weak? How on earth can they be too weak? Even my guys who weren't just serfs didn't manage to get a kill, how did bandits get so much armour?

Getting a decent party is not an option as once your party gets large enough that you can no longer out run them (About 20 or so guys) they lynch you, the Lord's parties do nothing to help. They've utterly ruined the game for me multiple times.

As for difficult I am playing on medium too, none of my attacks pierced their armour unless I charged in with a horse.
  7. GingerYeoman

Suggestions and Critique

Raiders are so over-powered it is ridiculous.

Trying to start out in Scotland, get a sizeable force of 40 men, I have a good horse, mail and weapons, want to train my men up, but instead get attacked by some heavily armoured foot-knights who give me no option to pay them off, and are so fast I cannot out run them. The battle starts with me outnumbering them about 2:1, I manage to kill the one of them that isn't in heavy armour before my entire force is slaughtered - even I cannot hurt them and I have a good one handed weapon skill and a balanced berber sword!

Can they at least be made slow on the campaign map so that you can out run them and flee? They've ruined a couple of games of mine now.
  8. GingerYeoman

Benefit of Clans?

Regín Harðraða said:
    I meant "Well said!" by that... Guize, srsly, whaddafak?  :?: :?: :???:

Thank you Yngvald.

A slow clap (at least where I live) usually denotes disapproval :razz:

Thanks geeys
  9. GingerYeoman

Benefit of Clans?

Hey, Apart from the community, friendships etc. is there any advantage to clans? Do Vikingr clan battles and the like happen?
  10. GingerYeoman

The kick

FimbulTýr said:
    A slice in the forarm can be deadly.

Not very.

This is very very off topic however :razz:
  11. GingerYeoman

The kick

FimbulTýr said:
    GingerYeoman said:
    For the slightly off topic kicking in a knife fight:
    If you take a foot off the ground long enough to kick, you're a dead man, end of. While you're trying to do a fancy kick to the knee your opponent can simply charge you with body weight (Moving closer and therefore cheating the kick's power), putting you on your back before killing you.

You still have your knife between you and him.

*edit*
    Wait, your knife? You're holding your knife, it's fairly easy to control where it goes :razz:

Oh wait, I'm very confused atm.

You're concentrating on kicking, they're concentrating on your knife. You may be able to slice into their forearm, but nothing fatal.

Don't kick or put yourself off balance. Infact, don't get in a knife fight.
  12. GingerYeoman

The kick

For the slightly off topic kicking in a knife fight:
    If you take a foot off the ground long enough to kick, you're a dead man, end of. While you're trying to do a fancy kick to the knee your opponent can simply charge you with body weight (Moving closer and therefore cheating the kick's power), putting you on your back before killing you.

What I'd like to know, from the devs, are what are the limitations of the kick within in the engine?

We could come up with a perfect solution, but it has to be feasible.
  13. GingerYeoman

HRAFNABJÓÐR – official Víkingr server

What's a back peddler?
  14. GingerYeoman

Suggestions

Doesn't mean it's impossible though, it's still an option even if it's not the best!
  15. GingerYeoman

Bugs & Problems

That sounds like an issue at your end rather than the server, if it wasn't affecting anyone else.
Back
Top Bottom