Recent content by gamerdude873

1. Freelancer looting

Jozef said:
    Oh, I didn't know. But I do have a theory why it was disabled. It seems that half of the weapons I try to pick up, just can't be picked up.. Shields seems to work always.
    This is probably because you don't have the prerequisite stats to wield them anyways? Otherwise you can pick up everything. I think.
  2. Freelancer looting

Rasdor said:
    Just wondering, is there a reason why, when I enlist into a lord's army, I can't keep the things I pick up in battle?

I pick them up while the battle is still going on, use them but I don't get them when the battle ends. Is this an intended feature to stop the player from hording good weapons and selling them, or is it a bug? Just curious.

Jozef said:
    You never could. Or am I very mistaken? Nah, I do not think you can :smile:
    All the stuff you can get from battles is in the lootingscreen after the battle, if you choose to go savaging

In the original freelancer, you definitely kept the loot you snagged on the battlemap. I was wondering why this feature was removed too. I also don't recall ever getting a share of my commander's loot, but I could be wrong. Maybe this was in an older version?
  3. Questions

Maxwell Hall said:
    Was wondering why this mod features such small party sizes? What's the reasoning behind this? How come power strike and what not is capped at 5? How big are the late game battles? Why was prisoner management removed?

Small party sizes? Do you mean for the player or for everyone? I can hold up to ~500 men in my party at a time (usually stick to about 150 for manuevering and morale purposes), and most kings I've seen usually build up to 1000 in peacetime, and hover around 500-700 during wars. Power strike is capped for balancing. That way even the weakest soldiers stand some chance against the hard-core soldiers, who usually suffer large damage penalties from all their armor, and therefore makes the game harder. Late game battles can be quite massive on the order of 1000 vs 1000 or so, but I personally like to avoid those. Big Pitched battles tend to be expensive in terms of losses vs. investment in your army, and they're also really annoying to command when you have to  fight 3 successive engagements and you keep dying, which only adds to the cost in leaderless, idiotic soldiers (in case you haven't noticed, the Native AI needs some work). Prison management was removed to make way for other, more interesting skills like foraging and entertainment. I think it was a good move on the part of the Devs. Horse Archery was also removed, thank goodness, because it was unbalanced to have a horse archer player picking off ponderous infantryman, and no one in dark age britain was exactly renowned for their ability to shoot bows and arrows while galloping on horseback. It didn't fit the theme or the moment in history that the devs were trying to capture.

I hope that was a little helpful,
    the gamerdude
  4. Best Ambush Response?

Ambushing rarely works out well for the ambusher, at least in my experience, especially for when the AI is ambushing. The most effective tactic I have found is to order everyone to bum-rush the nearest enemy. :twisted:
  5. Little Faith problem

I don't see how. London and Westerham aren't even pagan to begin with IIRC, and I haven't built/seen any pagan temples.
  6. Little Faith problem

It's just that I've held onto one of these settlements for over a year... I'll keep waiting I guess.
  7. Little Faith problem

Bump.
  8. Little Faith problem

I'm playing as a Roman Catholic Jute lord. In London and in my two villages I built churches (Westerham and Herr Hlaw), and now it reads that the settlement has little faith and continues to worship pagan gods. I've read in another post that this has something to do with donating money to...
  9. Incremental Patch?

palto said:
    im pretty sure idibil said somewhere that an incremental patch wouldnt be possible, as many(all?) of the files have been changed in some way or another. you might just want to wait for one of the dl mirrors

Damn. I've been cut out twice now. Oh well looks like its waiting time for a better host.
  10. Incremental Patch?

Is it possible that an incremental patch could be uploaded? 600 Mb is a lot to download, and I've had my download from MB Repository cut off midway through. At 70 kb/s its a very long and frustrating haul. How big is the update anyways? Thanks.
  11. Unbalanced morale

Totally agree with the OP. Couldn't the morale penalty be based off of how lopsided the fight was? I mean, if you were going to lose even if you had God's Anti-SOB Mega-death beam cannon on your side, then one should not be slapped with an obscene morale hit, but maybe your men might instead thank you for retreating(ie, minor morale hit or even a small boost for clearing out)? But if you ran from a fight that you should win just by spitting gumballs in the general direction of the enemy, then it might make more sense to sharply penalize the player. A huge blanket penalty just isn't fair to the player, especially when the morale bonus from a victory is basically like getting free peanuts on an airplane. Please, readjust the battle morale system.

My two cents anyways.
  12. Freelancer - Losing money during Travel by Ship

Will we have to wait for 1.4, or will a intermediate bugfix be released?
  13. Hunting, Taxi Ships & Spear Combat

I think the biggest issue of weapon balance is timing. I think that spears and other stabbing weapons need a decent speed boost, while swinging weapons need to have their speed cut some. My char has about 300 skill level in spears, and I find myself using it more than my javelins or short-sword. I think that what we really need to see is faster spears at much lower levels. My two cents anyways, because spears really are frustrating to use at low levels.
  14. Hardest to siege town in the new version

UnholyNighmare said:
    Not yet, no. Waiting to see one of those.
    gamerdude873 said:
    Realistic Sieges are difficult beyond imagination. I without fail lose not only my best troops first but also nearly a third of my army before I even start fighting for the city. Not exactly what I would call realistic... I would like to see this re-balanced, and more importantly, give something for a player-defender to do, because these sorts of catastrophic casualties don't happen to an AI besieger.
    According to my school education it was less than 15% of the soldiers that actually died in the battles. Most died from diseases and such. I find it pretty realistic, albeit not always that enjoyable gameplay-wise.
    I do like the sieges, however. Actually, they're one of the best parts of this mod.
    Still, its frustrating when the AI doesn't suffer casualties when the player is defending the castle/town, especially when placing the ladders and using the mantlets. 
  15. Hardest to siege town in the new version

Realistic Sieges are difficult beyond imagination. I without fail lose not only my best troops first but also nearly a third of my army before I even start fighting for the city. Not exactly what I would call realistic... I would like to see this re-balanced, and more importantly, give something for a player-defender to do, because these sorts of catastrophic casualties don't happen to an AI besieger.
Back
Top Bottom