Recent content by Fusilier

1. Fusilier

Some questions on Scene size

Hello Eärendil the Mariner

I used siege ladders of 10 meters to measure the sides of the scenes and came up with the following results:

For the terrain code extracted from having started a native campaign (in windowed mode/edit mode), go to “terrain” and generate a terrain with 5 meters Polygon Size, moving the sliders for Size Y and Size X all the way to the right, I measured 808m v 804m for an area of 649 632 m2.

For the two Persistent Frontier mod maps "New England" and "Big Forest" I got 985m x 970m for an area of 955 450 m2 and 1000m x 998m for an area of 998 000 m2 (close to 1 million m2), respectively.

I tried to measure a random generated map "Random Plains (Large)" but it was impossible to remove the vegetation so I gave up on it.

I then measured two NW maps Minden (Morning) and Borodino (Morning) for 486m x 485m for an area of 235 710 m2 and 810m x 810m for an area – of 652 100m2.

In conclusion, I was able to import to NW the .sco file and terrain code for Big Forest and now have a terrain for building a scene with an area of approximately 1 million m2. :smile:

Thank you for all the help.

Question solved.
  2. Fusilier

MP Musket Era Two questions and a request regarding Persistent World

Hello I have two questions: Of all the PW maps, which two are the biggest ones? Since I’m unable to get in touch with Vornne, the main developer of PW, who should I contact if I have questions/requests regarding the mod? And one request – can I be sent the two biggest maps for PW? The reason...
  3. Fusilier

Historical French Military Camp

Hello I have the goal of creating a scene for NW multiplayer based on an authentic french military camp from the late 18th/early 19th century but haven't found good sources online. It's hard in my country (Portugal) to have access to such information in libraries though perhaps maybe in a...
  4. Fusilier

There are sceneprops which have a measure coming with them, the siege ladders (6, 8, 10, 12, 14 meters). You can go on and lay them next to each other to measure them. Might take a while though.

Hello Eärendil the Mariner

I will try your method and let you know about the results.

If anyone else wants to contribute to the discussion go ahead.​
    I would really appreciate if anyone could give me a more efficient way of measuring scene size in meters.​

Best regards,
    Fusilier
  5. Fusilier

Greetings I have a couple questions for experienced sceners, server owners and moderators/administrators. But first, let me give you some background info (though I promise I will not overextend myself). I have the objective of editing a scene in NW, in order to create a training camp for a NW...
  6. Fusilier

NW Scening and Multiplayer Compatibility Questions

2. For the modulesystem (ModSys, yes) side of things: in module_presentations.py search for ("game_multiplayer_admin_panel". That should lead you to the start of the admin panel presentation, and in the ti_on_presentation_load trigger of it there is a decently long try_begin/else_try/try_end block that assigns a reference to a mesh to a variable based on what scene is currently selected in the admin panel. You can extend this block with your own else_try to add scenes by yourself.
    I'm afraid I can't really help you with actually getting your map screenshot into a mesh and adding it to the game, never done much myself in that area. I guess you could try looking around the files for a bit and try to figure it out yourself or wait for someone else to help out.

3. I'm not sure how NW detects changed modules, sorry.
    As for changing the name in the admin panel, that is quite simple: Open strings.txt and search for the original name (make sure to replace all spaces in the name with underscores (_). You can then replace the name with your chosen one, like this:
    Code:
    #old
    str_mp_ambush_fog Ambush_(Fog)
    #new
    str_mp_ambush_fog Training_Camp
    As for the preview image, you should replace the one used for the map you are replacing (if there even is one). You can find the name of the mesh in the code I described regarding question 2, and then maybe you can figure it out from there - Again, I sadly can't really help you here.
    That said, having a preview image for your map really isn't important - I don't think I've seen many scenes made by anyone but TaleWorlds that comes with a preview images.

That's 2) dealt with and 3) solved.

Thank you very much Namakan you've been most helpfull.

Going to mark this question as solved now.

Kind regards,
    Fusilier
  7. Fusilier

1. Just replace the outer_terrain_x in the scenes.txt file with the one you want.

2. This is done using the module system - do you know how to use it?

3. To add new maps to the admin panel you once again need the module system.
    Another option would be to replace an existing scene with your new one. I'm not very much into NW but looking at my files, your scenes.txt should have a few entries looking like this
    Code:
    scn_mp_custom_map_1 mp_custom_map_1 256 none none 0.000000 0.000000 100.000000 100.000000 -100.000000 0x00000001300040810005194a0000000000005ae800003c55
    outer_terrain_plain
    To add your map, replace the scene code and outer_terrain of the entry with the ones of your scene. Then add your .sco file to the SceneObj folder and name it scn_mp_custom_map_1.sco. You can then start your map ingame by selecting Custom Map 1 in the adminpanel.
    (Again, I'm not very into NW so if the custom maps don't show in the adminpanel, you might need to replace another map that does.)

First of all, hello Namakan :grin:

1. It was that simple. Thank you. I will mark that first question as solved in the original post.

2. Well this one is a bit more tricky. I've received some help and saw some tutorials on using the NW ModSys (that is the module system right?), but I'm no expert. What I believe is that whenever I made changes to the ModSys folder and I launched my now Modded Napoleonic Wars, it became incompatible with every vanilla NW server. I'm weary going that route since I want to be able to play online and host dedicated servers with my custom maps. My knowledge of working with OpenBrf is also very limited. I just think that It would involve Modelling and/or Texturing, neither of which I'm very qualified for. I can take a screenshot and try to assign it somewhere but that's it.

But for the sake of argument, how would you go about it?

3. About using the module system. Doesn't using the module system in conjunction with your module folder make that folder a Mod that is now incompatible with vanilla NW?

In Modules>Napoleonic Wars>scenes.txt I changed
    Code:
    scn_mp_ambush_fog mp_ambush_fog 256 none none 0.000000 0.000000 100.000000 100.000000 -100.000000 0x000000023002a1ba0004210900003ca000006a8900007a7b
     outer_terrain_plain

into
    Code:
    scn_mp_training_camp mp_Training_camp 256 none none 0.000000 0.000000 100.000000 100.000000 -100.000000 0x0000000730000500000d074800000c960000750900003615
     outer_terrain_plain

And the end result was that I managed to both open my custom map correctly as well as join multiplayer servers. The only if being that the scene name in the admin panel is "Ambush (Fog)" and the preview image is that of "Ambush (Fog)" - not the custom name and preview image I had created before.

I'd call that a success but tell me, is there a way to change the name "Ambush (Fog)" to something else and also alter the preview image without resorting to making the game a mod, rendering it incompatible for multiplayer purposes?

Thank you for your input.

I also welcome experienced sceners, server owners and moderators/admins to contribute to the discussion.

Best regards,
    Fusilier
  8. Fusilier

Hello I’m a newbie scener/modder and I have three specific questions to ask: 1. If you open your module folder, you will find a scenes.txt file that contains many scenes. For the multiplayer scene “Ambush” you have this code scn_mp_ambush mp_ambush 256 none none 0.000000 0.000000 100.000000...
  9. Fusilier

4 specific questions regarding Scening

A mesh is basically every 3D object you see ingame. Mind that user interface elements are basically also thin 3D elements. In the module system everything is working with the meshes. Once you have found out which mesh those scene pictures are for example, you are able to look up at which places in the module system they are getting used (the mesh name is getting used there). You can also find the referenced material and texture settings in the brf and via the texture also the texture dds file name.

1) For the basics take a look at the step 3 here: https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?threads/presentations-basic.358674/
    Then look up how the other scene images are getting done and implemented.
    2) For me that's the same question as in 1), so same answer as in 1)
    3) Basically also the same answer as in 1)
    4) Take a look how it is currently getting done at the admin panel presentation and imitate that behaviour.

Hello again Eärendil the Mariner

Yesterday, I was able to change the preview image of my custom map, on the admin panel, to the preview picture of a different map.
    dvbTVj.jpg
    If you don't recall, before it was the image of a forest, it is now a bastion.

What I did was to simply edit both module_meshes and module_presentations.
    dvbuix.jpg
    dvbRKQ.jpg

From experimenting with OpenBrf, I believe that you need a mesh to assign as a preview picture and haven’t yet found a way to convert a screenshot, for example, into a mesh that I can assign as a preview picture.

I got a screenshot from NW in file form .dds (which is the file type for textures) but couldn’t get the game to recognize the screenshot and, therefore, assign it as a preview pic. I will look into it some other time, maybe sooner than later but not on this thread.

Other issues have presented themselves but I will ask a new question on them.

As far as I’m concerned these questions are solved.

Special thanks to Eärendil the Mariner for all the help provided.

Best regards,
    Fusilier
  10. Fusilier

1) You can decide by yourself with what you are happy there, it has to fit your taste of design.
    2) If you have chosen a texture you work it into the mod
    3) I am not sure what you are doing here at all. It should be a simple folder inside a zip file which you extract and which can then be used immediatelly
    4) Learning by doing is the parole here. If you have concrete questions I or someone else will try our best to answer them. But for general stuff we expect that you try around a bit and try to get a sense for it by yourself

In my opinion you are thinking too much about this texture thing with the scenes. That's something which will rarely get looked at at the end anyway. Just try to concentrate on the other stuff for now to get it working before delving into new topics. With time comes experience and you will get more confident to work at other parts. That would be my recommendation for you.

The Q&A board is for planned for this. At the moment it's me who responds to you, could also have been any other person. If people have time and know about a topic, they will try to answer you. I would recommend you to mark a question as solved and ask a new question in a new thread since people might not notice that the topic has changed already like it did here.

You are pretty silent in the modding discord, have not seen you commenting yet :razz:

I already know that you can open the "Resource" folder in my module on OpenBrf and if I open the files “User_interface_b.brf” and “User_interface_c.brf” I can see the preview images for all the maps. I can also see them in textures.

I don’t know what to do with this information though.

Going back on some of your posts you mentioned:
    1. “[The pictures] should get defined in module_meshes at some places (look directly for the mesh names from openbrf);
    2. “[Afterwards, the pictures] should get called/use it in module_presentations”.
    Now, for me, module_meshes and module_presentations are .py files in the NW ModSys.
    Just to get it out of the way, I have no idea what a mesh is. It would be good if you could explain what it is.

The questions are:
    1. How do you define (what is to define?? to set?) the pictures in module_meshes.py? (I assume their name in openbrf hints at what to edit in??)
    2. Where do you define(set?) the picture in module_meshes.py?
    3. How to use (this was your word) the pictures in module_presentations.py?
    4. Assuming I want to use one of the images that are used for preview pics of other maps in the map selection, how do I go to set that up for my custom map? Can you provide a simple step-by-step guide?
    As always, please answer the questions 1., 2., 3, etc.
    I will make the question as solved as soon as this matter is cleared.

Best regards,

Fusilier
  11. Fusilier

Going to compile the main questions here:
    1. You say that you start with a texture. Can that be a screenshot I take of my actual scene or one of the images that are used for preview pics of other maps in the map selection?
    2. What do I do when I have chosen the texture?
    3. I don't even think im using OpenBrf correctly, are you really supposed to delete all the .dll files since it's v.0.0.82.e? (when I did it, it stopped working correctly)
    4. I'm very confused about using OpenBrf. There's all this data and I don't know what to select, what files to edit or anything of the sort. Really need your help on learning on how to change the preview picture. You seem like a really nice person going through all this effort just to help me, I just need a little more :razz:
    Please try to answer in the following way:
    1. xyz
    2. xyz
    3. etc

I'll try to be online for like a week until I can get these things sorted out, you might even recommend me a new member to answer my modding questions if you feel like he/she will be more qualified/willing. My main goal is to setup a dedicated server for NW with a custom training map where I can bring my regiment to do some drilling.

For some of the questions, I'm also in contact with people in the TW Forum - Modding Discord and through PM via the taleworlds forum.

Best regards
    Fusilier
  12. Fusilier

You are in the module Native while you should have loaded the module NW. You can see that at the bottom right corner of openbrf. Before importing a new texture I would advise you to first find the original ones.

Good point! I changed the module on the bottom right corner to my "Modded Napoleonic Wars" folder. What do you mean with finding the original ones? All I could think of was to go File > Open... > look for the textures in the NW module but there were no .BRF files in there. The files in the textures are .dds.
  13. Fusilier

MP Musket Era Persistent Frontier scene size

Dear Fusilier,

1. It really depend to which mod you compare Persistent Frontier. If you compare it with Napoleonic Wars (which are often very open and empty maps) then PF is indeed big (our maps used to be between 400 and 950 kb depending on world size). Compare it with Persistent World (and perfaps other Persistent mods) and we would be equal or lower.

2. I used a map generator in the past but the link is no longer working (I used this terrain generator). I also often copied an existing map and just changed the terrain which will still work. I'll sent to you all my Persistent Frontier maps later today when I'm home. You can use or edit them if you like.

When making a new map I wouldn't suggest going over 1MB due to performance issues. We also tried to avoid big maps like New England since they often cause alot of lagg for players (might no longer be the case, since pc's got alot better compared to 2014-2016). Bigger maps usually means more models like tree's which caused the lagg. Reducing the amount of tree's helps alot but makes big maps very open / less beautiful. I myself would prefer the Amazon map size. I assume the lagg is just caused by how the game works.

I hope this will help you. You can expect a DM from me later tonight with the link to the Persistent Frontier maps.

Kind regards,

BlackSniper

Dear BlackSniper

Thank you for the feedback and I await the PF maps.

Best regards
    Fusilier
  14. Fusilier

[exe in mb-repository] as long as you don't want to further develope that tool by yourself.

I'm feeling inspired... hahahah :razz:

On a serious note, I really need your help. I find myself close to the solution to this problem but it escapes my grasp.
    I execute "OpenBrf" > Import > New texture... >
    dvoYmb.jpg

However, when I open the .dds file (note that it isn't a BRF file), it just presents me with this checkerboard image
    dvocIj.jpg

What am I supposed to do?
  15. Fusilier

So in this link, I'm to download [exe in mb-repository] or [source code] to get the required app?
    I'm going to read the main openbrf thread and your tutorial.

Edit: Ok, I read the tutorial but didnt get much out of it :shock:

So when you talk of module_presentation you're talking about the file with that name in NW ModSys right? When I open that file with Notepad++ I've found
    dvCZNf.jpg

I assume it's in (assign, ":map_image", "mesh_scn_mp_floodplain_select") that I must edit in the new texture.

You say that you start with a texture, can that be a screenshot I take of my actual map or one of the images that are used for preview pics of other maps in the map selection?

What do I do when I have the texture?
    How to access the brf files or the texture files with OpenBrf?
    I don't even think im using OpenBrf correctly, are you really supposed to delete all the .dll files since it's v.0.0.82.e?
Back
Top Bottom