Recent content by el_miguel42

1. [QUESTIONS] Quick Questions//Quick Answers (Redux)

Hey guys, coming across what seems like a bug? Not sure though. Ive been playing for 100 days now without a rumour opportunity being offered. I've been running around asking rumours everywhere, but no opportunities either from wanderers or from red brotherhoods in taverns. Has anyone else had this happen? I have rumour interval 4 on character creation (went bard).
  2. A 90-employee studio with ONE actively-maintained product is releasing only ONE THREE-LINE bug fix patch per week. Unbelievable.

You guys must all have been playing different early access games to me. There are 2 types of "early access" games that are available these days. The first type is when a massive company like EA releases a game a couple of weeks early. The game is already completed and tbh its just a marketing gimmick. The second type is when the early access is designed in such a way to essentially beta test the game. The bannerlord early access release is obviously the latter, they also made it rather clear that this was the case beforehand.

Secondly, I dont think ive ever come across a game which allows modding and has an active modding userbase, where modders do NOT fix problems before the devs. Infact I would go so far as to say that the larger the company that is doing the release, generally (although this is anecdotal) the slower the rate of patches that are released. Games developed by very large companies which are moddable will frequently go through months and months with the simplest bugs not being patched. Hell you even get user fixes in games which are not meant to be modded before the devs put a fix out.

I have never bought an early access game where the volume of patches was similar to what taleworlds are pushing out (very small indie devs aside). Perhaps you'd prefer if they did what most big studios do, and basically do nothing for half a year and then drop one larger patch? You know what happens when that occurs? Player complain about not being part of the process and that decisions and balance are being done counter to what they suggest. Every single early access ive seen the playerbase complain about not getting enough information, and not seeing roadmaps. Just go and play another game, and in future dont buy stuff in early access. The amount of whinging and whining is so tedious.
  3. A reminder to people who get a bit too triggered by the angry/anguished posting by some on here

What I've noticed, is a significant increase in recruit level accounts trying to silence legitimate feedback. Make of that what you will, but personally I think it stinks.

Im a recruit level account and ill answer that one. Im a lurker for the most part, I have a couple of thousand hours played on warband, with probably over a thousand on prophesy of pendor. ive made a small number of posts, but I dont post often. I do check the forums fairly often though, and just reading the comments is annoying. Most of these posts ARE just whining. Half this stuff that people are moaning about is well known and has already been written about, there's no need for extra threads on it. Either add your +1 to the existing thread which has been made (with any extra info you have) or just leave it.

Most of these posts are not useful feedback, are at best just criticism, and in many cases just pure moaning. The good news is that there are some good feedback posts on these forums, but they are few and far between from my observations.

So at the moment i normally pop onto the forums, read some forums posts, sigh, and then leave again. Unless theres something im going to add, or until it gets so annoying that I end up posting (here we are).
  4. SP - General The Big Problem with Combat -- Unit collision and mass [FIX / SUGGESTION]

+1

Battles are over far too quickly, the 1v1 feel is pretty good, but with big groups of troops it all falls apart. Can only echo the sentiment from OP and the previous poster. Early game fighting looters I didnt really notice it, but as soon as I joined in with an army of more than 100 on both sides, it becomes very apparent. Especially as that entire fight lasted less time than a 40 vs 40 in warband.
  5. The Big Problem with Combat -- Unit collision and mass

+1 100% this. There was something "off" about combat and it was all happening far too quickly, but because up till now I had mostly been doing fairly minor skirmishes I hadnt seen it much. Then yesterday doing some large battles it was a WTF moment, where my 300 vs 400 man battle lasted a shorter period of time than a 40 vs 40 battle in Prophesy of Pendor. I really hope that this is fixed because its the biggest deal breaker for me.
  6. Bannerlord SP First Reactions: Megathread

I've played 49 hours worth of bannerlord over the last few days.

So much potential, and very close to being a fantastic game. Its not quite there yet, and there were a few things about the combat that was really bugging me. Initially, I was one of those people who was surprised about the removal of autoblock. I have thousands of hours sunk into warband, mostly playing PoP and I had always used autoblock. So it took quite a few hours to learn how to manual block to any level of effectiveness. Now im not too bad with it so, while I think for a single player game it makes sense to have the option. If the option came in now, I probably wouldnt use it.

However there is something else "off" about the combat. Combat is way WAY too fast. (Also some of the enemy lords for example in the arena move at insane speeds but thats not what im talking about here). In warband, shield wall combat lasted a long time, hell with armies a fraction of the size of what we have in bannerlord and fights would last far longer. I think the recent post about collision mechanics is probably spot on, or is at least part of the reason. There are lots of examples of fights with 200 man armies where the entire fight is over in less than a minute. The 1 v 1 combat is almost spot on (although I feel that the shield bash or kick mechanic needs to have a little more to it), however something is wrong about the large formation combat.

Sieges look amazing, and the castles look great. Im aware of AI issues in sieges which im sure will be fixed. However the main issue with sieges is the same as the above issue with the shield wall. If you have a fortified castle, a small force should be able to hold off a large force for a considerable length of time. Sieges are over far too quickly. I also think that because we now have siege engines, battering rams and towers that ladders should not be a primary method for assaulting a castle. In many cases its the troops on the ladder that make it up onto the ramparts first and that shouldnt really happen. I think that the speed at which troops climb the ladders probably needs a bit of a nerf as it should be a distraction and not a realistic way to actually assault a full castle. Obviously in warband it was a work around, and the ladder effectively took the place of battering down the gates and fighting through a narrow passage into the courtyard, but now with battering rams and everything else at our disposal the ladders should really take a back seat (imo). Speed of the siege also affects the ability to actually use the siege weapons, the longer the assault goes on for, the more the siege engines can be used and will be a factor, at the moment with the battles over so quickly, I barely get to fire more than 5 bolts from a ballista before I need to defend the walls against the army trying to climb up the ladders.

So in conclusion, M&B has always been about the combat and its so close, but this factor is causing some major issues in the big fights. I really hope its just a collision box thing and that it can be fixed easily. With this one fix bannerlord combat becomes better than warband combat. With the AI improvements for siege attack and defense we will finally have an M&B game with excellent combat in both open fields and in sieges, and with huge armies!

Outside of combat of course also requires some improvements, but im guessing that this is the part of the game that is probably the least fleshed out going into EA so Im not as fussed about this as im sure it will be fixed. The big issues being the snowball effect which I have no doubt will be patched. Im also really not a fan of the levelling system. XP grind is far too slow and personally I think the system just needs to be reworked.

All in all there are more bugs than most games that come out for EA these days, but then most EA games are just games which have been released a month early, whereas this seems like far more of a single player beta (im ok with that). Im not fussed about the bugs as you guys have been fixing them, and the pace at which the patches are coming out is impressive and really builds confidence in you guys.

However, I think that im going to be going back to warband PoP for a while. I'll probably keep checking bannerlord daily because as soon as the combat issue and snowballing is fixed ill be back to do a full on mercenary campaign (the mercenary changes you guys implemented look good). Its close, very close to having me switch, but not quite there yet.
  7. Dev Blog 3: Prophesy of Pendor 3.8 -1/15/17- CHANGELOG ADDED

Im one of those people that rarely posts, but follows the forums.  Id just like to chime in and say that this mod is easily the best mod i've ever played.  It strikes the perfect balance of difficulty, progression and lore that is so rare.  The only other mod that I can think of that hits all the right buttons in the same way is requiem for skyrim, but in that case the lore is already set up, and there are technical issues with there which prevent it from being as high on my list as pop. 

Ive voted in the poll and just as with the others here im extremely excited for 3.8, the graphical and QoL updates look amazing.  I'd like you to know that the amount of work that you guys do is highly appreciated.  In the mean time it's time to start up a new character and wait (not so) patiently for 3.8.

All the best

Miguel
  8. D'Shar Revision Thread for 3.8

I think that the big thing the D'Shar are missing is a top tier horse archer unit.  I think that they should have the option of heavy cav, but I think thats probably best suited to the noble line.  I also think that the D'Shar should also get a similar option as Pendor in that the nobles can be mounted or foot warriors.

So basically, I would add a powerful non-noble mounted archer to the D'Shar, a mounted unit with perhaps a hawkstorm bow, some fast D'Shar Coursers to ride and some of their light armor.  So basically a lighter armored (both rider and horse) version of the Rangers of Clarion Call.  No lances though.

I would also supplement this with a run of the mill archer unit with similar stats and equipment as the sarleon armored longbowmen.  Probably using the D'Shar bows though.

For the infantry side of things id keep things mostly as they are, but get rid of the scorpion assassins and make blademasters a little easier to get.  This would create a faction which favours skirmish and fast tactics.  Might be worthwhile giving the blademasters shields so they dont get massacred by some archers.

As for the noble line, I think that a good move would be to add a second knighthood order and progression.  Allow the D'Shar nobles to become foot warriors.  Give them some very good scale/chain armor, and give them the possibility to upgrade into a scorpion assassin.  Make the scorpion assassins a new knighthood order.  No cav, much better light armor and some crazy war darts / assassin blades so they are a little unique in how you use them.

Leave the windriders as they are.

These means that in terms of troop tree the D'Shar keep their shock units the bladesmen and blademasters.  They get the best non-noble horse archer in the game, they get average ranged units.  In terms of noble and knighthood troops, they get foot warriors which rival imperial immortals, and they get the windriders who are pretty average for a knighthood order.

Anyway, thats my 2c.
  9. Pikes / Spears

thanks guys some interesting responses, pretty much what I thought.

While dread legion is effective I think that's more to do with the insane amount of hitpoints they have.

Just want to add, im not going for pure power with the CKO.  I found on previous playthroughs that once I got a CKO up and running I got bored.  Put my horse archers on a hill and wipe out all enemies and then rinse and repeat.  I figured this time I would try doing something a little unconventional so I was trying to think of historical tactics which i could try and re-enact.  The shield wall tactic works pretty well, and then you can use cavalry for flanking, I wanted to try and recreate something like a phalanx, the tactic would be to just advance the troops onto the enemy I think.

I think ill give it a try and then report back.  Im hoping that if I have a large board shield and a warspear it won't be too bad.
  10. Pikes / Spears

Hi guys just started a new playthrough and was trying to think ahead to a new CKO.  I thought that instead of just building a steam rolling noldor bow weilding force I might try something completely different.  Is a spear and shield CKO viable, and do you think it could be remotely effective? ...
  11. [LEGACY] Quick Questions // Quick Answers

Have a small question regarding soldiers being knocked unconscious or being killed.

What governs when this happens?  I know that if you have high surgery it increases the chance of them being unconscious, but does better armour also affect this?  Howabout troop level?  Or is it to do with the damage they receive when hit?
  12. [LEGACY] Quick Questions // Quick Answers

Have a quick question about the knighthood order quests.

Ive been doing the quests for the Shadow Legion in Cez.  How many rank points are required to gain the rank of constable?  Because ive passed 200, but im still being referred to as Knight Commander, and no improved set of armour or horse...
  13. [LEGACY] Quick Questions // Quick Answers

Ok just answered my own question found it in character report.  No idea why I didnt check in there right at the beginning.
  14. [LEGACY] Quick Questions // Quick Answers

Cheers guys, decided to go with shadow legion after seeing their armour.  Love the look.

Another question:  Is there any way of checking your number based rank with a knighthood order you join?  I know they'll address you as a squire or knight etc, just wondering if it was possible to see the exact number.

Cheers
  15. [LEGACY] Quick Questions // Quick Answers

Im thinking of joining a knighthood order and id like to pick the one which offers the best armour.

Does anyone have any suggestions?  Or are the armours all roughly the same?

Cheers

Miguel
Back
Top Bottom