Recent content by Druzhina

1. Druzhina

warfare.tk & warfare.gq

My websites warfare.tk, warfare.gq, warfare.ga & warfare.cf are permanently down due to Freenom.com leaving the domain name business: The illustration and other resources are available at: warfare.ueuo.com warfarewest.x10host.com costume.myartsonline.com for Western Europe and Northwest Africa...
  2. Druzhina

Janissaries with huge plumes

Yes, I agree.

Druzhina
  3. Druzhina

An Arab Chamfron in Scylitzes Chronicle?

Perhaps a poor black and white photo in a book or an even earlier woodcut or someone else's sketch. In the 2017 article he states (para. 30): "A number of medieval Islamic and Middle Eastern Christian illustrated sources show such a chamfron (figures 12), though the early medieval Egyptian example can be disputed (figure 25)". Figure 25 is St. Pteleme (Ptolomeus), Egypt, 9th century-early 10th century, Pierpont Morgan Library MS. M.581. But he does not express any doubts about the Scylitzes image. He gives many separate examples so he is not supplementing from another find.

Druzhina
    Coptic Illustrations of Costume & Soldiers
  4. Druzhina

An Arab Chamfron in Scylitzes Chronicle?

A drawing of an Arab cavalry horse with chamfron in Scylitzes Chronicle appeared as fig. 609I in David Nicolle's 1982 PHD thesis: "The military technology of classical Islam" It has appeared in subsequent publications and by other authors. It appears as follows in 'Horse Armour in the Medieval...
  5. Druzhina

7th century Scandinavian Guldgubber Warrior

I have to disagree. It's on both shoes and they are both bending upwards, clearly indicating a high heel.
    It's funny that I just read an article about shoes in a historical magazine (that I subscribe to) that referred to that exact image (guldgubber) showing high heels :smile:

That's interesting. Does the article say what proportion of guldgubbers have high heels?

Druzhina
    Illustrations of Costume & Soldiers
  6. Druzhina

So you think it's some sort of residue from the production process of the gold image, and not heels?
    It's not background since there is no background.

There is also something to fill up the space under his left elbow.

Druzhina
    7th Century Illustrations of Costume & Soldiers
  7. Druzhina

The "heels" may be background or sprues to make sure the metal flowed to all parts.

Druzhina
  8. Druzhina

2 Jericho Plates from Central Asia

I was surprised to see a plate with the Jericho story from Semireçye in Central Asia found at Verkhne-Nildino was cast from the same mould as the plate with the Jericho story from Semireçye in Central Asia found at Anikovskoe. The gilding is different and there are major differences in the later...
  9. Druzhina

The 7th century Scandinavian Warrior in 'Armies of the Dark Ages 600-1066' by Ian Heath is probably based on a Guldgubber depicting a drinker with a cup without foot (and a spear?). Vendel period. Sorte Muld, Bornholm, Denmark. A Guldgubber (Gullgubber) [little old man of gold] is some kind of...
  10. Druzhina

Janissaries with huge plumes

This is Sultan Suleiman during the Battle of Mohacs, 1526. Süleymanname of 1558, Topkapi Saray Museum ms Hazine 1517.
    The black wings may be on the slung, blue shield with gold pattern of the cavalryman at top-left. His green robe can be seen to the left of the Janissary in red coat firing his musket. But, the wings may belong to that Janissary.

Druzhina
  11. Druzhina

Earliest depiction of a Western-European kite shield

I have previously written that Ian Heath's idea that the kite-shaped shield was depicted in Europe for the first time in the 'Codex Aureus of Echternach', (The Gospel of Otto III). Germanisches Nationalmuseum in Nuremberg, Germany was based on a dating on the reused ivory cover as c. 983-991AD...
  12. Druzhina

Historical depictions of Kushans - Uzbekistan, Afghanistan and N.Indian Sub-cont

The Kushan Empire was formed by the Yuezhi (their Chinese name), in the Bactrian territories in the early 1st century. It spread to encompass much of Afghanistan, and then the northern parts of the Indian subcontinent at least as far as Saketa and Sarnath near Varanasi (Benares), where...
Back
Top Bottom