Recent content by doomsayer

1. You know you want this, admit it.

silentdawn said:
    doomsayer said:
    The problem with these movement controllers is that they can't model realistic momentum and such. You practically only swing your empty hand about, don't have an axehead pulling on you or facing resistance when you hit/are parried.
    I played some wii sports games, first I tried to go to somewhat realistic good looking moves, but just twitching the right way works better.

Some newer games using motion+ require you to use full motions. The wii has been out for a while so if your talking about the first wii sports thats a 5 year old tech demo and isn't a good indication of the current hardware and software.

Well, has been a while but pretty sure not 5 years. :smile:
    I still can't imagine the system would be great, for example my swing is blocked and deflected upwards, do I then have to pretend this movement before I can make the next strike? Why not grab some sticks and shadow fence right away?
    Maybe works for golfing, though.
  2. Total realism game mode

Going to certain death when you can save 20 others/the day would be pretty brave though. Or just mad, but they usually write the nicer variant on tombstones, so go for it.
    In any case talking about bravery in a video game is a bit silly, when so little is at stake.
  3. You know you want this, admit it.

The problem with these movement controllers is that they can't model realistic momentum and such. You practically only swing your empty hand about, don't have an axehead pulling on you or facing resistance when you hit/are parried.
    I played some wii sports games, first I tried to go to somewhat realistic good looking moves, but just twitching the right way works better.
  4. Sword from horseback - any tipps?

I'd like to try something new, fighting with sword from horseback. I can backstab just fine, but taking people head on seems to be impossible. So anyone know how to deal with lancer cav, and 2h when using only a sword? edit: Head on of course. I know you can bumpslash shielders but any tips on...
  5. Trolling Mentality.

Well, I'm no expert on the subject, but I think some childs are born with ... well, not the most pleasant feautures.
    In less enlightened times they would be abandoned in the forests where troll families would take them in and raise them up, whereupon they slowly take on all the feautures classically associated with trolls - long hair, heavy weight, spinal deformation, etc.
    This restructuring is a miracle of nature, after long field studies and gene analysis the following theory was devised - troll milk contains a symbiotic virus that will infect the breastfed childs cells and change the genetic code.
    Still, you are right, this doesn't explain where trolls came in the first place, it is basically a question of what was first, the troll or the virus.
    Some have advanced the theory, backed up by still missing links, that trolls did not originate from this world and were carried onto it by meteorites (of course not the trolls as such, but traces of organic matter from which the virii are made have been discovered), or seeded onto this planet by a mysterious precursor race (see annotations). The current consesus is however that trolls are a curious evolution of the neanderthal species that was long believed to be extinct.
  6. What weapons would you LIKE to see?

Zentarg said:
    It could, but it wouldn't too often? It usually takes some time to die, even if you hit some of the vital areas. It would take someone out of the fight very quickly though.

It wouldn't even necessarily. A guy could get an arrow in the neck and still kill the archer. Actually bleeding damage or something would be kind of hilarious. You are dead but you still have 5 seconds to take someone with you. :smile:
  7. Any Way the Wind Blows

It's random. Wind would be more calculable. Like all arrows go to the left a bit. If you turn around they go to the right.
  8. Patch 1.134 out

Nate said:
    cmpxchg8b, how did you find the new operations, triggers, and flags? Good 'ol fashioned detective work?

header_operations.py probably.
  9. Involuntary weapon switch?

It's pretty impossible I'd hit it without knowing... :sad:
  10. Involuntary weapon switch?

I have this irritating bug where I start switching weapons or shields against my will, sometimes in the middle of combat. I've put this down to mistakenly hitting mousewheel in the past, but it even happens when not touching the mouse. Does anyone know what causes this or is suffering the same?
  11. 2H axes, what is their drawback, if any?

EdwardWellcraft said:
    Axes are very slow weapons that are easy to block and easy to counter. Plus they are really easy to chamber block. They are certainly powerful weapons and I prefer them for taking on lots of little shield users, but if I need to fight a 2h user I would much rather have a spear or 2h sword.

This ... I really love my axe, but once you meet a good player with "dueling weapon" you know there's practically nothing you can do.
    But when I was playing it the 2h axe mode/long bardiche really was OP imo on the respawn modes. You could do well with other weapons individually but they were just the best way to get kills really fast and thus win the round.
  12. What weapons would you LIKE to see?

Reapy said:
    My problem with new weapons at the end of the day is that for the most part even if you add in new models to the game, the playstyle is mostly the same and already covered by one weapon or another in the game.  I'd actually like to see more weapons that change how you have to actually play the game to use it effectively, either new combat animations or some type of new mechanic or what not. Eh anyway that is wishful thinking :smile:

Slings and chariots. And flails. :smile:
  13. A new type of duel

Well, I don't really see the point of it, tbh.
    One hit kills are mostly through headshots and speed bonus which is also in the players control. Would just mean that quantity of hits count over quality.
    You could simply add a new dueling class which has say 300 hp if you want to have duels not to be decided by the first mistake.
  14. Is there a random element in combat damage?

Rabenstein said:
    I'm not an expert in this game, but I've played it for quite a bit and became effcient. Yet, there are things I don't understand.

Say you have the opportunity to attack an archer from behind, he doesn't know you are there. You are wielding a high tier 2h weapon, for example the great long axe. You chamber your overhead swing for 1-2 seconds and hit him from behind, aiming high. Sometimes he survives - why? I can't see how this is possible since people keep one-hitting me while wearing heavy armor (say +40 head/torso) with side swings from 2h weapons or hack down 2/3 of my health bar with a 1h swing.

I realize there are many factors in damage, like hitboxes, speed bonus, "sweet spot", damage types and so on, but this can't be explained by it.

So, are there additional random elements in combat, for example is the base damage of a hit not 45s, but 30-60s?

There is a little random damage afaik, a little meaning about +-3 points (which can make the difference between one hit and two hits). Also I think hitting arms does less damage at least with ranged but I don't know where arm starts in comparison to body or head.
  15. Great sword vs Bastard sword

Bastard Swords in battle with a shield?
    Yeah, good luck when you have to fight against 3 enemies at the same time. Bastard Sword + Shield + free onehander is the way to go.
Back
Top Bottom