Recent content by Deathwhisper

1. Crazed Berserkers: How do i kill them?

Throwing weapons are very strong against them as well. Having infantry units with some good ones (Sarranid or Nord infantry in particular) can help a lot. Otherwise horse archers are the safest way.
  2. Plans for patch v0.7

Just a small status update - as you may have noticed, I haven't been very active this past months, due to exams and studies taking a lot of my free time. This will end soon however, so I'll be able to work on the mod again pretty soon.
  3. Discussions and Suggestions

Imperator Draconis said:
        I have a suggestion. One problem I have always had in the game is that selling high value loot is not worthwhile. If you have lordly loot, you will have to sell it at a dramatically reduced price to a common merchant.

I propose some system of black market/exotic goods merchants that will buy your high end loot from you at their full value. They could also have a decent collection of high end items of their own. The balancing comes from their nature as black market merchants. Although they will buy your goods at regular merchant value, all gear sold by them has a 2x or 3x price modifier. Weapons and chest pieces of armor could be 3x with the rest being 2x normal price. You could make them hard to find to further balance them, but I think this would be a good addition to the game. I get so frustrated when all my companions have excellent gear because I hate selling everything else at a fraction of its value.

This idea provides an incentive to players to take the risk of fighting tougher battles for the chance of a higher reward. I also have some lore reasons for this to be in place.

Each king of the factions charters all of his blacksmiths. That means that each suit of armor made is for an actual soldier that needs it or is about to need it. Along the lines of Freelancer, each suit of armor belongs to a certain type of soldier. While a low tier "plate armor" can be made by any smith, the "lordly plate armor" will have come from a chartered blacksmith because the King employs all of the best smiths in his realm. Each piece of armor or weapon would have a maker's mark to clearly indicate the smith that made it.

So, the high end items are black market items because no one outside of the king's realm can legally have them. If you are found with a weapon made by a blacksmith with a Royal charter, the punishment is death. That explains the exorbitant price, and it generally makes sense. Things like these were fairly common practice in medieval times in various parts of the world. I hope you all like the idea. At this point, I may have to teach myself scripting to make it if someone else doesn't, lol.

Thanks for reading,

Draconis

I was thinking of adding the ability to upgrade / repair weapons and armors in future versions (not 0.7). Lords who own a castle would be able to have their equipment upgraded up to +2 (i.e reinforced for armors) and +3 (lordly) for town lords. This would come with a risk during a battle to have your weapons / armor be broken and either lose a level or become unusable (for weapons). They would then have to be repaired (any town blacksmith could get the item back up to +0 i.e neutral).

I'm not convinced by the black market idea though, mainly for balance reasons. Lordly items still sell for quite a lot of money and have less value for the player than in native (the bonus is still +6, but armor values in general are higher, so it matters less. Unfortunately item modifiers are hardcoded, so I can't change them). Unless the item is very good (like full plate), you'll often find a better armor with no modifier and use it instead. Increasing their value (even if it's harder to find a black market merchant) might make battles too profitable compared to other sources of income (they're already very good imo), unless there's some specific sort of drawback to using the black market (maybe a honor penalty).

4. Bug Reports

Firestorm said:
    Pathfinding says party skill in the character sheet, but when you give your companions more pathfinding it does not contribute to the parties total pathfinding for some reason. I have 29 guys atm and im only moving 4.7 on the map with 4 pathfinding. A party of 91 guys moves faster than me......

Pathfinding is unchanged from native. There are a few reasons that could explain why you're moving much slower than that party :

1. Your companion with pathfinding skill is wounded and therefore doesn't provide any bonus.
    2. Pretty much every party in the mod has got some pathfinding skill (unlike native). Some (for example black khergits or desert nomads) have got a pretty higher value. Lords have a personal value as well, which can in some cases go all the way up to 10 (which is very rare).
    3. Your party is slowed down by either low morale or your inventory.

If your companions aren't wounded it's probably due to a combination of 2 and 3. Pathfinding is even more important than in other mods.
  5. Plans for patch v0.7

Lemming20 said:
    You should add decapitation! :twisted:

Executions and a death system in general would be very hard to implement in a way that makes sense, given the scope of a playthrough (a few ingame years at most). You couldn't simulate a real family / dynasty system with heirs replacing their dead liege. Same issues for the player if he dies for any reason.
  6. Military Academy

That's strange, military academies have been working fine for me. Have others got the same issue?
  7. Is it even worth it to be a Horse Archer?

Some archers are more suited to fighting heavily armored opponents than others. Vaegir marksmen and foreign longbowmen for example have slow but powerful bows, which are decent against armor (although still less effective than crossbows). Some are really bad though (recurve archers get a bow with cutting damage, but the bonus against shields can still make them very useful, especially in combination with other archers).
  8. Plans for patch v0.7

There is now an option to change (between 25 and 400) the accuracy of ranged attacks for the player. The base value is 150, which means 50% more accuracy. This should hopefully solve the reticle issue with high damage weapons.

Can you add in custom forts?

There are other features that are planned before this.
  9. Bug Reports

ojr666 said:
    Hey, excellent work on the mod, by far my favourite for MB:W so far!

I have to reiterate what some other users are saying though, the siege scenes are really annoying with the way the troops never seem to actually assault.

The infantry tends to go just fine, but the skirmishers and archer units tend to mess around at the base of the main gate or jam themselves up underneath the ladders going up to the walls, and I find myself having to cheat my way through the rest of the siege, really sucking the fun out of it. Only once have I had a proper siege that worked flawlessly and it was brilliant, but it's been incredibly rare to have a siege work properly from start to finish.

Any ideas from deathwhisper or any other players who have mentioned this previously? Really need to find a workaround.

Which castle scene didn't have that issue?

There isn't much that can be done regarding the agents' AI, but if sieges work fine with some scenes I could modify the problematic ones to match the fine ones.
  10. Prisoner release

I haven't changed anything in that regard, so I assume it works the same as in Native.
  11. Any way to quickly find the item_kind_id for an item?

A copy of Morgh's is indeed included with the download to make changing stuff easier.
  12. Do Geroian knights have a hideout?

They don't, but they spawn less often than bandits (one party every 48h iirc).

Recruiting strong enough patrols (reinforce them if necessary) should defend your villagers pretty well.
  13. Is it even worth it to be a Horse Archer?

Do keep in mind that there is an option to increase (or decrease) everyone's damage. This tends to favor ranged weapons over melee ones.
  14. Ravagers or Sharpshooters?

Ravagers tend to struggle against elite troops (due to the higher armor), so it mostly depends on what you've got to face. Ravagers are definitely better against swarms of weak troops.
  15. Game is very laggy

I don't think there is much you can outside of what I've already said. Disabling larger battlefields could help in large battles (if you've got more than 100 troops).
Back
Top Bottom