Recent content by Argel

1. Argel

Bannerlord was a grift

Without a shadow of a doubt, the fact that Bannerlord was barely an upgrade over Warband, and frankly missed a lot of the features of it, made the whole thing feel like a joke or worse, yeah a scam.

I think there's a possibility the developers aren't good enough to do more, but to be honest, that's a terrible excuse given what is possible elsewhere on smaller budgets.
  2. Argel

Siege Battles and Siege AI

This is the most broken thing in the game and it is desperate to be fixed. I can't believe it's been a year and there's never really been any acknowledgement of how broken it is that I've seen?

@Callum you guys aware of the problems with siege pathfinding, particularly the ladders, towers etc? Don't recall seeing it on any roadmaps that's all.
  3. Argel

Tower siege queue

Agree with all of the above. Basically sieges are fairly dreadful because of it, thought this was patched :sad:
  4. Argel

I'm sorry but I finally give up, what the hell are TW doing? Nothing new in 3 weeks. Whoever is managing this team needs the boot.

Having to perform a 1-month-long code refactoring after 4 months into early access tells a lot about the lack of a clear developing roadmap.

Having an EA tag is not an excuse for this, especially it it comes with an AAA price. Quoting the Steam store page:

A flaw in the code that requires 1-month-long code refactoring does not sound very stable.

That said, I'm happy that they are taking the time to fix whatever trashcode they wrote, rather than continue developing on unstable foundations. But if things continue like this, it seems to me that it will take 3-4 years before the game has some better playable value over Warband.

What disappoints me most is the lack of new features and innovations with respect to Warband. The game feels very shallow, with dialogues exactly lifted from Warband or shabby placeholder dialogue that shows how little effort they are putting into the game ("insert generic backstory").

I expected something more than Warband: better tactical layer in battles, better dialogue options, more immersive, reactive world. Better quests. Not to mention better AI.

What we got? A crafting minigame that has the depth of a mobile phone game. Same old boring quests, some new boring ones - when they do not break. Same stupid AI - except that now can grab ammo from the ground. Same blob fights.
    Most of the RPG progression is broken - which for an RPG game, even in Early Access - is ludicrous.

The few new good gameplay elements (more companion options, caravans, ...?) do not offset the general lack of new features.

Hell, they did not even "get inspired" (read: copy successful elements) from great mods for Warband, like Prophesy of Pendor, or the Viking Conquest DLC.
    There is not even seafaring in Bannerlord, nor it seems it will be ever introduced (leaving it for some DLC maybe?).
    Ship battles in VC weren't the most fun and streamlined experience, but at least they were a fresh novelty from the base game.

Sure, hopefully all the bugs will be fixed and new content and mechanics will come, because - thank god - the game is in EA. But given the current state, surely not within the proposed 1 year.
    And from the released "development plans" it does not look like any new content/gameplay mechanics will come.

I am not bashing the game for the sake of bashing it. I really do hope it will get improved in the future. I am just starting to lose hopes on how and when this will happen. The game has potential. Hopefully the developers will act on this, not just the modders.

In the meanwhile, I'll resort to play VC, which even with its 2000-and-late-graphics feels way more immersive and engaging.

Concur, 100%

The disappointment is most acute because it feels like even the most logical steps to be taken after Warband have somehow not been taken in EIGHT YEARS.

1. How is there no battle strategy after all this time? That's just logical progression for a game where the strength is in battles

2. How are sieges and battles just blob fests with virtually no AI? The square that forms behind the gatehouse defending sieges just gets picked off from the side. The pathfinding of attackers beneath the gates is woeful.

3. RPG - as mentioned, skills that do nothing, skills that are barely able to be trained, illogical 'learning points' or you just get absolutely roadblocked from learning basic skills. That's not code, that's bad design.

4. How are companion and lord interactions somehow even worse than they were in Warband? You can't even ask a lord what they're doing, you can't figure any of it out.

5. How is diplomacy/war dec still a complete lottery? Playing under Vlandia, they got into a war with Aserai, then Khuzait (standard map gainz) declare war, so what is the logical step that Vlandia take? DECLARE WAR ON BATTANIA. Yeah alright lads, 20k vs 60k strength.

6. Quests and depth - there is no story, no game, no follow-up, no context, no recognition, no particular benefits of knowing someone or helping them, no indication of real world events (barring perfunctory 'I hear you took castle X' dialogues that have no meaning). Companions don't do anything notable even when they have skills, they're just Mr Potato Head style knights that you get to dress up.
    The scary thing is how broken this game is from a fundamental standpoint. There are some nice graphical moments, the castles look much nicer, but they play worse than the old ones which offsets it. Same for the battle maps and campaign map. The townspeople look awful, genuinely 2008 graphics.

I have played a bit more single player recently but it is just... pointless. Nothing matters. They forgot to add most of the game, even when I'm enjoying it, it's always tinged with the disappointment that I will never really enjoy a feeling of immersion because <default text should not appear>
  5. Argel

Medic perk- DOA

You have to set yourself as the Surgeon for your clan, which is fairly ridiculous but there you go. It means if you want to get scouting/medicine levelled you have to set yourself as the scout whenever you are moving and the surgeon any time you're recovering in town manually.
  6. Argel

New Content since release analysis

The sieges don't just need polishing though do they?

When the militia block the gate with a square, and you can just walk around them and attack them from the side of their formation and not even get a blink from them :grin: The way troops simply cannot getup siege towers and ladders, much less actually create a foothold on the walls.
  7. Argel

Dear Taleworlds

Re: swing delay, I can be releasing my mouse and in the time it takes my single handed weapon to swing, a menavlion can start a full wind up and hit me before I land.
  8. Argel

Beta Patch Notes e1.4.2

my current game (new game no mods)

1.4.2 Autumn 6, 1087
    Asarai 0 wars
    Battania 1 against WE
    Khuzait 1 NE
    NE 2 against WE, Khuzait
    Sturgia 0
    Vlandia 0
    WE 3
    SE 1

Asarai war support against :

NE 11%
    Khuzait 80 %
    Battania 11%
    WE 50%
    SE 22%
    Sturgia 11%
    Vlandia 11%

My current 1.412 game:

Summer 1, 1085:

All of the factions: 0 wars

:grin:
  9. Argel

RIP MP

I am on the verge of dropping the game myself aswell. There is nothing that makes sense or is half-working in the game in terms of mechanics or balance. Armored cavalry stomps everything easily, light cavalry just gets deleted by archers, infantry is useless against other classes, and when infantry vs infantry happens it becomes a kick-fest of who can abuse the animation glitch. Archers are just retarded in the game, they play like call of duty instead of the realism they want with the rest of the classes. 2-handers are lulfeinting with unreadable animation and backpedalling. But I guess we will get clan systems and ranked for all the 10 people who play. Total dissapointment.

All of this x1m

The most worrying part of this has been that the actual combat mechanics are extremely poor and in some ways, not even as good as warband. I'm not sure that rebalancing can change that.

Obviously ridiculous problems like spawn points should be fixed to make whatever this game is slightly more palatable in the short term, but I don't know how or if this can be fixed with the current approach to the game combat mechanics.

I've stopped playing now.
  10. Argel

Remove tdm_map_001_spring

Haha, yes! Even as someone who plays a bit of archer, it's just a mess of a map.

I think it highlights that there's no sense of tactics or ability to understand where anyone is on your team too. There's no objective, people spawn behind you, it's just lots of people milling around while being mown down every 20 seconds.
  11. Argel

The many issues i see with cavalry in MP

I personally think cavalry are very balanced right now (aside from the Battanian faction which needs a buff) and if you are at all decent to the game it's pretty obvious where the weaknesses of cavalry are. Most of the issues players are having cavalry right now are just because they are not experienced in the game and don't understand the weaknesses of cav.

This is not true AT ALL. What are you on buddy? Have you ever fought a battle with another cav with yourself as cav? The speed you are traveling most definitely effects the damage dealt both too and from the rider.

This is also incorrect. Cav have the smallest shields in the game. I've been axed in the face may times even though I have been holding up my shield playing as cav.

You can just walk a step backwards, it's not that hard.

It's part of the team strategy. Cavalry is a SUPPORT class. By knocking you down they are helping their team in the infantry fight. I think this is a good feature and taleworlds has actually already nerfed this. In the real world you WOULD get knocked down if you were trampled by a horse it's just how it is. If you are having a problem getting knocked down you aren't staying close enough to your team.

Most of the heavy cav that would do this cost 190 or 200 gold. Most heavy infantry cost 140 or 150 gold. Effectively you are paying 50 extra gold to buy the horse for the class. I think that is fair. Also they aren't overboosted at all, the default cavalry melee weapons just do a medium amount of damage. If you're a good player you can act like a heavy infantry once getting dismounted, sure, but you're no better than a normal sergeant or legionary.

This isn't true at all. It takes a lot of experience playing cav to be able to get around spear infantry. Lances aren't any longer, the players you are facing are probably just better at their angles of attack than you are.

Horses are fast. You should be using your ALT key and looking around you at all times when out of combat. This is just part of the game.

There that's my little rant. Almost every comment about cavalry made is incorrect. You are obviously an inexperienced player with not many hours in multiplayer. I hope that taleworlds does not take these requests seriously.

These sound exactly what a guy who is taking advantage of OP troop class would say.

The new TDM maps are unplayable after a few minutes with most factions. You literally have 25% of players as cav up to top speed within a couple of seconds just galloping round in circles, couching people with no fear of death. There is no impact of riding at speed on your ability to aim, it's like gliding around in an F1 car with a lance attached.

Anyone who doesn't see the huge balancing issue is defending their own ability to keep taking advantage of imbalance.
  12. Argel

Cannot Get Access From Your Platform Service

Ok I figured it out

When I updated from 1.31 - 1.40 it didn't work, but then I upgraded to the beta and that didn't work, so I downgraded back to 1.40

Lo and behold, it now works.
  13. Argel

Cannot Get Access From Your Platform Service

I'm on 1.4 and getting the same error
  14. Argel

MP is dying already -- this is bad for your business guys!

I have tried to play a few hrs each day over the last few weeks in EU, and the numbers are dwindling rapidly. Same faces and same outcomes, no variety.

There is a serious battle on TW's hands here, the multiplayer experience is reliant on players, and lots of them.
Back
Top Bottom