SP - General Elite unit caps

Users who are viewing this thread

eritchie

Recruit
Another suggestion I would like to make is in relation to elite units. One of the issues which I have eluded to in my previous suggestion is the ability to create large armies of elite units. Once you have this it is very easy to destroy anyone that comes at you.

I wonder whether it would be cool if you linked elite units to fiefs and specifically to the hearths of villages owned by your clan. They would be quite hard to replace quickly and could result in big campaign problems if you lost a large scale battle. This would mimic the feudal system where lords were expected to provide a certain number of knights when called upon, dependent on the size and quality of their land.

This would be a good incentive to grow your villages and would make it more difficult to steamroll your opponents. It would also make elite units far more vulnerable and make you much more inclined to protect them. Often when medieval battles are discussed a key indicator of the size of a defeat was how many knights/ minor/ major nobles were killed or captured. I think this would be really cool and could play into the campaign in a pretty excellent way. It could also be affected by perks and the rank you had in the kingdom. Your nobles when called upon would be expected to bring their allocated number of elite units also. The rest of the army could be made up of more basic units which could only be upgraded so far. The capital of a kingdom could also be a place where other specific elite units could be trained, but this would again take time and money and would need to be managed effectively, siege engines should also only be able to be created at specific locations and should slow your army down considerably.

Another suggestion I would like to make is in relation to elite units. One of the issues which I have eluded to in my previous suggestion is the ability to create large armies of elite units. Once you have this it is very easy to destroy anyone that comes at you.

I wonder whether it would be cool if you linked elite units to fiefs and specifically to the hearths of villages owned by your clan. They would be quite hard to replace quickly and could result in big campaign problems if you lost a large scale battle. This would mimic the feudal system where lords were expected to provide a certain number of knights when called upon, dependent on the size and quality of their land.

This would be a good incentive to grow your villages and would make it more difficult to steamroll your opponents. It would also make elite units far more vulnerable and make you much more inclined to protect them. Often when medieval battles are discussed a key indicator of the size of a defeat was how many knights/ minor/ major nobles were killed or captured. I think this would be really cool and could play into the campaign in a pretty excellent way. It could also be affected by perks and the rank you had in the kingdom. Your nobles when called upon would be expected to bring their allocated number of elite units also. The rest of the army could be made up of more basic units which could only be upgraded so far. The capital of a kingdom could also be a place where other specific elite units could be trained, but this would again take time and money and would need to be managed effectively, siege engines should also only be able to be created at specific locations and should slow your army down considerably.
I don't agree with this at all, why?

1, it is already hard enough to found your own kingdom without making it harder.

2, large armies of elites don't steam role everyone

My army of 200 elites steam role armies of up to 500-600 but even my elites need backup against a army of over 1000.and the AI doesn't level up as fast as the player character does.

Adding more work for people to do just so you can experiment with game play is not a good or fair suggestion. Try Mods if you want to experiment, that's what their there for.

Armies of elites do steamroll if you are half good at the game. Creating your own kingdom is easy. I do use mods. The challenge is gone pretty quickly once you have a couple towns even with a few clan parties. My idea was to more closely mimic feudalism where knights were only drawn from a small section of society and much of the rest of any army was drawn of less well armoured, trained and equipped troops.

Armies of elites do steamroll if you are half good at the game. Creating your own kingdom is easy. I do use mods. The challenge is gone pretty quickly once you have a couple towns even with a few clan parties. My idea was to more closely mimic feudalism where knights were only drawn from a small section of society and much of the rest of any army was drawn of less well armoured, trained and equipped troops.
The problem there though is the whole point of the game is destroying that way of life (if you choose none imperial). The other problem with that is that's the imperials way of life and almost all imperial kingdoms get butchered in every playthrough I've done so far. 1 of the three ends up surviving but only because it helped to butcher the other 2.

Besides,we start with lightly armoured troops, tier 1 and 2 troops don't exactly screen overpowered. No troops, even ones that start lightly armoured stay that way. Even in history, the lesser men as the Aristocracy would call them wouldn't stay lightly armoured if they proved they could survive. Those that survived either joined the Aristocracy and got "rewarded" for it or got executed/assassinated for being a threat to it.

Elite noble units is too cheep and too easy to get. They should be more valuable. Loosing them and replacing them should be alot more expensive and hard than replacing 30 times the number of elite regulars. And a elite regular should be ten times harder to replace than rurrent...

Back
Top Bottom