So many abandoned modifications

Users who are viewing this thread

I get that modders do not owe anyone anything and they do their work for free but it is not the reason to insult anyone, I suppose.
No modder is making this to please -snip- like OP.

There are up to 3780 mods published on Nexus, 600 were updated since 1. December of 2022. Lets assume all of these work (thats optimistic but lets be optimistic for once). This would mean that roughly 85% of all mods are dead.
Thanks for the rough estimate... The reality is harsh.

Yes, there's a lot. And some of the most exciting mods, too. Hopefully they don't give up, that'd be a huge shame. 😓

I'm sure you are working hard to learn c#, reading and watching modding tutorials etc, so one day you can pick up the slack and update all these mods. ;p

I get that modders do not owe anyone anything and they do their work for free but it is not the reason to insult anyone, I suppose.

Because modders never get insulted, berated etc when their mods is not updated at a speedy pace? I would call what he said a reality check. Not an insult.

There are up to 3780 mods published on Nexus, 600 were updated since 1. December of 2022. Lets assume all of these work (thats optimistic but lets be optimistic for once). This would mean that roughly 85% of all mods are dead.
...What should be a reasonable number of updated BL mods for you...? 2000...? 1000...? 500...?

Man **** right off. I don't mod because I want to please dip****s. I do it because I have the ability and ****s needed to make the game suit my arbitrary preferences. I do it for me.

Anyone that likes them are welcome to play. But if I lose interest, I don't a damn about updating anything. No modder is making this to please -snip- like OP.
What did I ever do to you? I don't understand why you would talk to me like that? :sad:

I am supportive of modders. I've done a small bit of modding myself in the Bethesda creation kit mostly.

The number of up-to-date mods is only a reflection of the reality.
...And it's below or above your expectation...?

...because if we talk about this:...
...it means nothing to me and I would like to know what other people thought...

Last edited:
The modders most likely grew sick and tired of the constant breaking and having to patch it up, or just sick of the game going out of its way to break them (-cough-ladder mod -cough-). I would abandon projects for this game too, if I were treated with the same level of apparent disdain TW has for the modding community. lol

especially when you see the few interesting things that the updates add

A lot of the mods (total count) are translation ones or just rehashed versions of some of the more 'popular mods'; which I see as still going strong.
We can't really say for certain they are 100% abandoned given the state of the game at the moment - until TW 'finishes' the game - as each patch that's incoming (no date/status update ever given) could potentially break it.
If I was working/tweaking a mod that takes me a couple hours then release, it's really disheartening to then see a patch update come through the very next day that completely deletes all that effort.

What did I ever do to you? I don't understand why you would talk to me like that? :sad:

I am supportive of modders. I've done a small bit of modding myself in the Bethesda creation kit mostly.
The misfortune of being a lightning rod for a blind outburst I guess. My bad.

But bleh, I suppose I just want to beat my chest and cope with the fact that my current project may or may not amount to anything.

I doubt they'll want to return, but who knows, maybe whatever made them leave the modding scene for Bannerlord could be fixed in the future.

I'm sure you are working hard to learn c#, reading and watching modding tutorials etc, so one day you can pick up the slack and update all these mods. ;p

What in the world are you going on about? Are you under the impression my statement was somehow "attacking" modders or something?

...What should be a reasonable number of updated BL mods for you...? 2000...? 1000...? 500...?
Well, my assumption for the number of dead mods comes mainly from the fact that almost every patch, including "secret" patches without proper patch notes break any bit more complex mod that relies on code. If the game code would not be constantly refactored after supposed full release then mods that are not often updated or that were "finished" would survive for much longer and authors of the mods would be much less likely to just give up due to their mods being broken two times a week by random update. Also there is a problem of mod number and or complexity, if the mods are constantly broken you do not want to maintain too many of them and you are afraid to add new features because there is a good chance that devs are gonna randomly break it in next patch.

but just paused in development because of updates.
When (and if) their authors get to resume the development, it is likely they will not remember anything whatsoever due to the passage of time. I would wager they will never come back (or most of them).
Well-written, that is correct. Actually explains a lot what happens with the game.
...And it's below or above your expectation...?
It is what it is, a reflection of the harsh reality with Bannerlord. I would expect the number to be much higher if TW did not break the mods every once in a short while.

Well, my assumption for the number of dead mods comes mainly from the fact that almost every patch, including "secret" patches without proper patch notes break any bit more complex mod that relies on code. If the game code would not be constantly refactored after supposed full release then mods that are not often updated or that were "finished" would survive for much longer and authors of the mods would be much less likely to just give up due to their mods being broken two times a week by random update. Also there is a problem of mod number and or complexity, if the mods are constantly broken you do not want to maintain too many of them and you are afraid to add new features because there is a good chance that devs are gonna randomly break it in next patch.
...I also think this has contributed to stop many modding projects...

...but talking about the numbers you write here:...

...if I compared it to the WB mods on nexus you'll see that we talk about the half of the mods from BL...
...hundreds, coming from the old mbrepository, are not playable due of an old version...
...even if we added the mods present on moddb and here on the TW forum I don't think we would reach 3000 mods...

...talking about playable mods, give a look to these list (300 mods +/-):...

...looking at these numbers we are not very far, in terms of quantity, from the WB period, as regards the mods, also considering that the mod development period in one case concerns 13 years, in the other 3...
...what has completely changed is the perception of the game today, compared to the WB period, and this ends up making sure that everything is seen in a negative way...

It is what it is, a reflection of the harsh reality with Bannerlord. I would expect the number to be much higher if TW did not break the mods every once in a short while.
...ok, it's better to have 3000 mods that 100, but it really matter...?
...in terms of fun, can it be said that the current state of mods is still interesting, given its variety of content in the mods playable today and those currently in the development...?

Last edited:
Warband has far more content than Bannerlord because its (Warband's) mods were easier to make, which made them have more content on average. Bannerlord seems to have a graveyard of projects that did not even reach maturity.
Quantity does not matter, unlike quality.
...There are still innovative mods in development for BL as well, just not as many as we've had in 13 years of modding WB...

...for example, it's not fair to expect to have a TLD mod for Bannerlord with the same amount of features, because that mod development started during first M&B, it involved dozen of modders and is continuously updated to this day...

...There are still innovative mods in development for BL as well, just not as many as we've had in 13 years of modding WB...

...for example, it's not fair to expect to have a TLD mod for Bannerlord with the same amount of features, because that mod development started during first M&B, it involved dozen of modders and is continuously updated to this day...
Yes, that is right.

Warband has far more content than Bannerlord because its (Warband's) mods were easier to make, which made them have more content on average. Bannerlord seems to have a graveyard of projects that did not even reach maturity.

Most of warband's 'mods' were code snippets shared between Modders that nobody outside the modding community knew about. The old module system meant you couldn't just have a tiny tweak mod fixing some mechanic without it being a full 200mb native clone mod. I made a few of them, they were the equivalent of the vast majority of the mods you see for Bannerlord now.

While it's true that Warband was easier to mod, there was also a fairly high entry bar for actually publishing a mod, because nobody was going to make a small tweak or fix a mechanic when you had to package them as a full mod. But if you look at the credits of any warband overhaul you'll see dozens of included mini-mods.

...The feeling that many users have, regarding the lack of mods for BL, may be due to the fact that many projects no longer have a discussion here on the TW forum, as they once did, but each one presents its own site, a Discord channel or a page on ModDB, Nexus, Itch.io, etc...

...this means that whoever looks at "the Emporium" or "the Chamber of Crafts" today sees a desolately sparse and substantially abandoned section...

...not to mention that these sections of the forum are "hidden" compared to the old forum where they were easily recognizable even for a new user...

...The feeling that many users have, regarding the lack of mods for BL, may be due to the fact that many projects no longer have a discussion here on the TW forum, as they once did, but each one presents its own site, a Discord channel or a page on ModDB, Nexus, Itch.io, etc...

...this means that whoever looks at "the Emporium" or "the Chamber of Crafts" today sees a desolately sparse and substantially abandoned section...

...not to mention that these sections of the forum are "hidden" compared to the old forum where they were easily recognizable even for a new user...
You are so right...
Most of warband's 'mods' were code snippets shared between Modders that nobody outside the modding community knew about. The old module system meant you couldn't just have a tiny tweak mod fixing some mechanic without it being a full 200mb native clone mod. I made a few of them, they were the equivalent of the vast majority of the mods you see for Bannerlord now.

While it's true that Warband was easier to mod, there was also a fairly high entry bar for actually publishing a mod, because nobody was going to make a small tweak or fix a mechanic when you had to package them as a full mod. But if you look at the credits of any warband overhaul you'll see dozens of included mini-mods.
To be fully honest with you, I was not around back then, so I am judging the situation by the current state of the M&B engine games' section with its list of mods and The Forge with lots of resources. Thanks for the heads-up anyway.

Back
Top Bottom