Death chance for lords

Users who are viewing this thread

BigFat

Sergeant
In the past, it was too high and lords were dropping like flies. Now, Caladog takes an arrow to the brain for 300 damage and winks at me because he knows the last 15 times didn't kill him and this one won't either. I find myself really missing the old death rates so I've been thinking of some ideas I wouldn't mind.
1. Add a slider. TW loves sliders and this would be great to have direct control over the chance of death on a sliding scale.
2. Have overkill increase the chance of death. If you take a couch lance for 400 damage, you should die. It's a bit silly to shoot a young vlandian lord wearing a dress in the skull and he takes 4 times the "completely healthy" limit and just takes a nap.
3. Make the death% affected by certain traits. Let's say the base is 5%, a cruel lord would have a 1% higher chance of his troops killing the enemy lord in battle (ordered to have no mercy) and a merciful lord would have 1% less. Make this a stacking effect, so an army of cruel lords would have, for example, 11% chance of killing someone in a battle. I don't think this would affect the AI much since they always have mixed armies anyway.
If you wanted, you could make the other traits have similar effects ex: Cautious -1% chance of personal death/ Impulsive +1 chance of personal death.
Please TW, I want to see the red skull again.

In the past, it was too high and lords were dropping like flies. Now, Caladog takes an arrow to the brain for 300 damage and winks at me because he knows the last 15 times didn't kill him and this one won't either. I find myself really missing the old death rates so I've been thinking of some ideas I wouldn't mind.
1. Add a slider. TW loves sliders and this would be great to have direct control over the chance of death on a sliding scale.
2. Have overkill increase the chance of death. If you take a couch lance for 400 damage, you should die. It's a bit silly to shoot a young vlandian lord wearing a dress in the skull and he takes 4 times the "completely healthy" limit and just takes a nap.
3. Make the death% affected by certain traits. Let's say the base is 5%, a cruel lord would have a 1% higher chance of his troops killing the enemy lord in battle (ordered to have no mercy) and a merciful lord would have 1% less. Make this a stacking effect, so an army of cruel lords would have, for example, 11% chance of killing someone in a battle. I don't think this would affect the AI much since they always have mixed armies anyway.
If you wanted, you could make the other traits have similar effects ex: Cautious -1% chance of personal death/ Impulsive +1 chance of personal death.
Currently it is 2%, but they have added Effects for medicine skill to decrease the chance of Hero Death and the Cheat Death Perk, together with reduced chance with Hero level, the higher the Hero level is, the lower the chance that this Hero dies in Battle, but the base chance is only 2%.

They should bring it back to 10% or add an slider for it.

5% for (non simulated) battles was just perfect. You would have 1-2-3 companions that died over 10 years. It made you actually care about your companions and spouse.

Off topic (sort of):
Caladog died in battle during the first couple of weeks of my new campaign. Sad to say but it probably won't make any difference to the game at all. :xf-frown:

I know that they will be adding claimants soon, and they may have a role during succession, but I wish that the devs will at least add a specific period of inaction when the ruler dies where a faction cannot vote for anything (such as policies or peace) for 2 weeks or so.

I know that they will be adding claimants soon, and they may have a role during succession, but I wish that the devs will at least add a specific period of inaction when the ruler dies where a faction cannot vote for anything (such as policies or peace) for 2 weeks or so.
Yeah I agree that would be cool.
With claimants coming, I think they should implement a succession system like the one mod for each nation. It would be kind of silly to go through all the work of installing a claimant just to have them die of old age and now some other random lord is king/queen. It always makes me a bit sad to see Ira married away to some tier 2 clan across the continent.
Of course, I wouldn't expect anything any of these things but they would be nice. Having a huge battle and seeing 3 dead lords at the end made them at least a little more memorable.

As a step one, devs should increase death % for de-facto non-existing kingdom lords roaming your backyard and turning it into waste land. An interesting way for player to solve this persistent question => how to destroy faction/kingdom completly.

Either that, or have landless kingdoms be considered rebel clans like in uprisings and allow them to be executed without penalty.

Either that, or have landless kingdoms be considered rebel clans like in uprisings and allow them to be executed without penalty.
Yes this is a great idea! I think we can expand on this by saying that all minor and rebel clans have this lack of relation penalty. It's not as if it's easy to get rid of minor clans since they replace lost members insanely fast.

Or how about having the %chance scale dependent on the #members in clan?
Haven't gotten past maybe 1st generation yet but some clans can have a lot of kids and can see the predictable inflation ~50 years in a game.

Or how about having the %chance scale dependent on the #members in clan?
Haven't gotten past maybe 1st generation yet but some clans can have a lot of kids and can see the predictable inflation ~50 years in a game.
I think they should just modify AI birth (& death) rates altogether. As you've said, there will be too many people after time passes in the game. The should curb it down to make the average female fertility rate 2 or so. I don't know how often women and/or babies die in childbirth in the game, but babies don't will never die after being born until they become adults unless all adult clan members are dead. This should ensure that there will roughly be the same amount of people in original clans. If you think that the number is too low, remember that the number of nobles increase as rebel factions emerge and join existing kingdoms.

Where did the Claimant info come from?

From the Single Player IV statement
A ways ahead

As the attentive reader will surely have noticed, there are some topics that we haven’t covered yet. In our future plans, we spoke about Banner Bearers, Claimant Quests, Sally Outs and Vocalization. These are all areas that we are still pursuing, but they will require some time yet. Once we have made more progress on them and other topics, we will be happy to share further details.
3/4 of these have been implemented so far. Claimant quests should arrive at some point

Where did the Claimant info come from?
Just to make it clearer, while we know that the devs will be adding claimants/civil wars into the game, we don't know how the claimant/civil war mechanic will work, and we don't know if the addition of claimants will change anything related to succession.

My guess is that there will be both preset and randomized claimants, 1st generation claimants will be preset characters like how the kingdom rulers always are the same people at the start of the game, and the 2nd+ generation of claimants (if there will be any) will either be existing NPCs that will gain the sole claimant of the kingdom status somehow (such as through clan tier 4-5-6 or something, if so, this might open up opportunities of the player becoming a claimant) or will be newly generated NPCs similar to rebel lords. There's also the chance of claimants always being part of one specific clan/family/dynasty and the new generation of claimant always being the new head of clan after the previous one dies, but this would be problematic as claimants could then theoretically be wiped out via executions, or very unlikely pregnancy RNG such as a lady being not fertile due to age or the wife/baby dying in childbirth or even all babies being born as females and then getting married off. The possibility that I think is the least likely would be any non-ruler major clan becoming a claimant and/or a lord that wants to start their own faction by seceding from their faction or starting a civil war. It is still a possibility, but this iteration would be more about civil war and less about specific claimant "quests".

Last edited:
Just to make it clearer, while we know that the devs will be adding claimants/civil wars into the game, we don't know how the claimant/civil war mechanic will work, and we don't know if the addition of claimants will change anything related to succession.

My guess is that there will be both preset and randomized claimants, 1st generation claimants will be preset characters like how the kingdom rulers always are the same people at the start of the game, and the 2nd+ generation of claimants (if there will be any) will either be existing NPCs that will gain the sole claimant of the kingdom status somehow (such as through clan tier 4-5-6 or something, if so, this might open up opportunities of the player becoming a claimant) or will be newly generated NPCs similar to rebel lords. There's also the chance of claimants always being part of one specific clan/family/dynasty and the new generation of claimant always being the new head of clan after the previous one dies, but this would be problematic as claimants could then theoretically be wiped out via executions, or very unlikely pregnancy RNG such as a lady being not fertile due to age or the wife/baby dying in childbirth or even all babies being born as females and then getting married off. The possibility that I think is the least likely would be any non-ruler major clan becoming a claimant and/or a lord that wants to start their own faction by seceding from their faction or starting a civil war. It is still a possibility, but this iteration would be more about civil war and less about specific claimant "quests".
As far as i remember reading deactivated dialogue code on reddit, the possibility that you have pointed out as the least likely was, I think, the considered one. Now, that was 2020, so my memory is hazy. And they probably revised the idea several times. However, claimants being existing, powerful lords is the only one that makes sense to me due to the aging and birth/death mechanic

As far as i remember reading deactivated dialogue code on reddit, the possibility that you have pointed out as the least likely was, I think, the considered one. Now, that was 2020, so my memory is hazy. And they probably revised the idea several times. However, claimants being existing, powerful lords is the only one that makes sense to me due to the aging and birth/death mechanic
The mechanic itself would be very cool, and I would prefer my least likely option to be implemented because it would be adding very important and sorely needed changes to diplomacy and interaction with lords. Why I think it's unlikely is due to the name of the mechanic being claimant "quests". Of course, it might be a translation issue or just a weird wording (such as what we typically call quests we get from the notables being called issues by the devs). It's also very weird for a lord that's attempting to revolt or secede to be called a "claimant", but what can you do.

If you could be bothered, could you please try to find the reddit thread and share the link with me if you can find it. Either way, your comment made me much more hopeful about the future of the game, so thank you!

@Duh_TaleWorlds @Dejan @MRay

can you guys see if this is possible, adding the slider for death chances?

this would be something nice to see, with ppl dissatisfied with the low chances, a middle point would be great

I'm not saying go back to how it was everyone died everytime, but something lke 0.4 % (40%) would be nice

Back
Top Bottom