Let's share your best battle tactics

Users who are viewing this thread

my dear lords in Calradia.

So I been using the same battle tactics, forever.
1 is infantry line, 2 is archers forming loose formation, 3 is calvery, 4 is horse calvery
2 stand in back in elevated high ground, 1 attack up front, 3 maneuver to the left flank to flank, 3 maneuver to the right flank to flank
as showed in picture below.

but now I am trying to explore new battle tactics, if you guys have any better ideas

the best battle tactics should be :
1. simple enough to mange with a series of battle orders,
2. a repeatable process that have best killing rates while maintain low causalities

let's share yours best battle tactics and learn from each other!

nGyQu.png

yjnf8.png

1DUql.png

infantry in shield or square formation, broken up in two or three groups. Behind them the archers.

Main reason is to be able to protect a bigger archer line and the infantry capable to cover a wider line in their tight formations. Mainly something defensively and against superior numbers as the infantry is strengthened defensively and with the right gaps and distance to archers the enemy will wrap around the infantry while the archers can keep pouring fire into their flanks even at close distance.

infantry in shield or square formation, broken up in two or three groups. Behind them the archers.

Main reason is to be able to protect a bigger archer line and the infantry capable to cover a wider line in their tight formations. Mainly something defensively and against superior numbers as the infantry is strengthened defensively and with the right gaps and distance to archers the enemy will wrap around the infantry while the archers can keep pouring fire into their flanks even at close distance.
I feel like in this game, because archers high damages, every battle tactics is "defensive-then-counter-attack",

your tactics is great for defensive to large army, but what about attacking enemy?
Enemy AI always use the same tactics, it's so boring after beating them again and again

I've experimented a bit but I'm still a newbie at this game and thus not doing as well as I'd like lol. Note: PS4 version, so battle sizes are up to 350 combatants total so a 1,000 troops on each side would basically be ~5-6 rounds of combat in effect.

Under ideal circumstances, I typically have my archers form a wide line and have two separate groups of horse archers hang beside them (forming a crescent moon at the oncoming enemy, ideally) while two separate horseman platoons hang behind the archers and my melee infantry form a very tight shield wall in the center, ideally pulling back to draw the enemy in the center of the crescent moon. However, I've found my infantrymen tend to die disproportionately with these tactics so I've looked around to see some better means of using them. Furthermore, the archers kinda have to be Battanians to have the ammo required to keep it going during longer battles.

If I have crossbowmen instead of archers, I'd cluster them more tightly behind the infantrymen and be ready to tell them to hold fire and charge in once melee's about to engage, and try to only let them shoot once the enemy's up close to make best use of their scarce ammo. If there's no mounted archer support, I'd try to have a second crossbow platoon flank the enemy while protected/supported by a second infantry platoon.

When attacking, I typically try to have one group draw the defending enemy's attention while another group moves to one side to begin shooting their exposed sides. In order to clear up a flank, I usually lead the horsemen to engage the enemy's horsemen and try to waste their missiles before I can move in the second group to take point and begin shooting. This often gets hairy during reinforcement waves, though, since they're usually the most vulnerable, so relocating them to become supported by the first group (or relocating the first group to work better with the second) becomes essential to minimizing casualties.

Overall, my way of playing is defensive and turtle-like, and definitely in need of improvement for battles lol, especially large scale battles.

if you lead bandit troop in battle, do you get rougery points? I try a few times and doesn't get any experince in rougery
You get experience when they get kills and I believe when you level them up. If you recruit a bunch of forest bandits you'll level roguery pretty fast

my dear lords in Calradia.

So I been using the same battle tactics, forever.
1 is infantry line, 2 is archers forming loose formation, 3 is calvery, 4 is horse calvery
2 stand in back in elevated high ground, 1 attack up front, 3 maneuver to the left flank to flank, 3 maneuver to the right flank to flank
as showed in picture below.

but now I am trying to explore new battle tactics, if you guys have any better ideas

the best battle tactics should be :
1. simple enough to mange with a series of battle orders,
2. a repeatable process that have best killing rates while maintain low causalities

let's share yours best battle tactics and learn from each other!

nGyQu.png

yjnf8.png

1DUql.png
Crossbows
Crossbows
and more Crossbows

I feel like in this game, because archers high damages, every battle tactics is "defensive-then-counter-attack",

your tactics is great for defensive to large army, but what about attacking enemy?
Enemy AI always use the same tactics, it's so boring after beating them again and again
Well, part of the power fantasy.

That said, you can also use it offensively. The two infantry units allow you to have one engage first so the second can get around the flank and attack the rear.

Also creeping archers and HA around the left flank gives them great way to shoot at exposed sides and back of the enemy.

Currently playing Aserai so rather archer heavy. Pondering to add a shock troop just for flavor though not sure if I can keep them alive.

I agree that it is easy though most battles are already kind of pre determined. The only nasty is overcoming armies when the enemy is still heavy on elite troops. And maybe to keep your units not too disorganized if it is a multiple reinforcement battle.

Well, part of the power fantasy.

That said, you can also use it offensively. The two infantry units allow you to have one engage first so the second can get around the flank and attack the rear.

Also creeping archers and HA around the left flank gives them great way to shoot at exposed sides and back of the enemy.

Currently playing Aserai so rather archer heavy. Pondering to add a shock troop just for flavor though not sure if I can keep them alive.

I agree that it is easy though most battles are already kind of pre determined. The only nasty is overcoming armies when the enemy is still heavy on elite troops. And maybe to keep your units not too disorganized if it is a multiple reinforcement battle.
I wonder if the game's easier on platforms other than PS4, lol. Because multiple reinforcement battles are the norm past a combined total of 350 troops due to limitations, which means it's normal for me to fight large battles for up to 30 minutes and have to deal with the changing push and pull based on the waves. Typically (probably due to order I set up in the party menu but maybe due to clicking "Homogenous" for determining who to spawn first), it's my worst against their best first and then it works down to my best and ends with their raw recruits and the like. This means the hardest part is usually the first part since all their elites are brought to bear while I might be leading low tier units before I can... "cycle them out" with my actual units. Reinforcement waves have also been tough to deal with since their appearances can sandwich part or all my troops against the original wave, which usually means I have to reposition to get ready for the continued fight. Missle unit ammo is very important as well since friendly archers have to be relied upon to keep ammo for potentially a half-dozen enemy waves (if, like, 1,000+ enemies) whereas on PC/newer consoles I imagine there's only 1 wave per ~500 enemy troops (presuming equal sizes) whereas on PS4 it's one wave per ~150.

I like to have my troops get trampled by Vlandian cavalry. After a while they get tired from murdering my forces and somehow we win.

I've had the hardest time with Vlandians lol. I think it's because their crossbowmen double well as infantry and I've yet to beat a high tier Vlandian army without sustaining some real casualties, especially in the melee scrum with their crossbows mixed with footmen. Their cavalry is good too, but that's not really a distinguishing factor since the Druzhinniks are also great, and the cataphracts, and the Khan's Guards/Lancers, and the Farises. Only the Battanian Horsemen just kinda hang out and Battanians usually have noble cavalry from other factions by the late game from what I've gottten used to. So, all I can think of that really makes Vlandians stand out is they tend to have more horsemen (commoner + noble) and lots of crossbowmen.

They're how you order your troops on PC. From what I've watched on YouTube, I'm pretty sure F1 is how you open up the ordering menu while F3 after that is "all charge" and, I think, F6 is "delegate." Basically, their advice is to just auto-pilot the game lol.

On PS4, that strategy is basically suicide, which is part of why I suspect the game's actually harder due to the troop limitations; even if your full-frontal all-charge works in the short term, reinforcement waves would just pincer it and result in a messy scrum. I've observed this whenever I get KO'd in battle lol, and if I win it's purely because I had more troops or more elite troops than they dd. It's practically a god-send for the game to crash during sieges while the post-mortem auto-pilot goes on since it's painful to see my troops behave so stupidly lol (even though I always break down the walls first so storming the castle/city is basically a slightly organized charge anyway lol).

They're how you order your troops on PC. From what I've watched on YouTube, I'm pretty sure F1 is how you open up the ordering menu while F3 after that is "all charge" and, I think, F6 is "delegate." Basically, their advice is to just auto-pilot the game lol.

On PS4, that strategy is basically suicide, which is part of why I suspect the game's actually harder due to the troop limitations; even if your full-frontal all-charge works in the short term, reinforcement waves would just pincer it and result in a messy scrum. I've observed this whenever I get KO'd in battle lol, and if I win it's purely because I had more troops or more elite troops than they dd. It's practically a god-send for the game to crash during sieges while the post-mortem auto-pilot goes on since it's painful to see my troops behave so stupidly lol (even though I always break down the walls first so storming the castle/city is basically a slightly organized charge anyway lol).
i win a ton cuz i studyed war stratagy as a kid
ive won a 200 v 1200 battle and only had 57 casualtys

Back
Top Bottom