What bonus should the Dragon Banner give in your opinion?

Users who are viewing this thread

Totalgarbage

Sergeant Knight
The current bonus of the dragon banner, the legendary banner that is the keepsake of this game's name, is desired by all the factions to gain legitimacy, and takes half of the campaign to get (okay it's 10% at most) is just terrible. So what do you think the dragon banner should provide?

Do you for example think that it should give multiple bonuses such as 10% damage reduction from both melee and ranged?

Or maybe keep it more on the realistic side where the banner gives something like a 50% decrease to morale shock?

Or perhaps you would like a unique effect that's also powerful such as a 0,5 Health regen/second? Please write down what you think.

I think it's a 5% charge damage reduction or something iirc. It may have been changed but I didn't see anything about it on the recent patch notes.
If that's what it is, its an insult. It should be a lot better than a regular Tier 6 banner. I'm in favor of multiple buffs and they should affect the whole party instead of just the one formation

Or maybe it should have an out-of-battle effect that helps you prepare for the big war, like it opens up 2 extra recruitment slots for all notables to simulate people flocking to your banner.

Last edited:
If that's what it is, its an insult. It should be a lot better than a regular Tier 6 banner. I'm in favor of multiple buffs and they should affect the whole party instead of just the one formation

Or maybe it should have an out-of-battle effect that helps you prepare for the big war, like it opens up 2 extra recruitment slots for all notables to simulate people flocking to your banner.
Having an off-battle effect is also a good idea, not gonna lie. It could maybe have an effect of +1 to loyalty, prosperity & security in all empire culture settlements you own. The main quest after getting the banner requires you to capture imperial settlements so it would actually make the campaign a teensy bit less tedious as well.

It should give an Army leader bonus. Reduce Cohesion Loss, Increase Speed, Increase Starting Morale, and Decrease food consumption

The current bonus of the dragon banner, the legendary banner that is the keepsake of this game's name, is desired by all the factions to gain legitimacy, and takes half of the campaign to get (okay it's 10% at most) is just terrible. So what do you think the dragon banner should provide?

Do you for example think that it should give multiple bonuses such as 10% damage reduction from both melee and ranged?

Or maybe keep it more on the realistic side where the banner gives something like a 50% decrease to morale shock?

Or perhaps you would like a unique effect that's also powerful such as a 0,5 Health regen/second? Please write down what you think.
50% ranged damage reduction, 100% melee damage increase, +3 daily influence gain and chop off one pip from every out of faction speech check. Make it something that is worth having and plainly noticeable to the player who carries it into battle -- with the caveat being that other people want it too and will fight you over it.

The game has enough bonuses that are almost imperceptible to the player unless they sit there painstakingly recording and charting the practical differences. It needs more reasons to give a **** about banners (especially the Dragon Banner) because right now, you can outright ignore them and nothing at all about the game changes.

Last edited:
50% ranged damage reduction, 100% melee damage increase, +3 daily influence gain and chop off one pip from every out of faction speech check. Make it something that is worth having and plainly noticeable to the player who carries it into battle -- with the caveat being that other people want it too and will fight you over it.
50% ranged damage reduction or a 100% melee damage increase amounts seem a bit overkill, but +influence and easier lord recruitment (whether it be through easier speech checks or less money) are good ideas. An object the main quest supposedly places immense value in should actually provide the players with a noticeable one.

Permanent Warband Trainer effect to make dealing with the conspiracy quests less tedious.

The game has enough bonuses that are almost imperceptible to the player unless they sit there painstakingly recording and charting the practical differences. It needs more reasons to give a **** about banners (especially the Dragon Banner) because right now, you can outright ignore them and nothing at all about the game changes.

I feel like any percentage bonus, even a stupidly OP one, is going to feel flaccid and boring when compared to the absolute anal purgatory you have to endure to get it. Number crunching in video games has never appealed to me, it's such a shallow progression system. If the banner does anything it should be qualitative, like unlocking a new game mechanic or hell even just unlocking new units. Otherwise it's just yet another perk, and the game doesnt fundamentally change after you get it.

I feel like any percentage bonus, even a stupidly OP one, is going to feel flaccid and boring when compared to the absolute anal purgatory you have to endure to get it. Number crunching in video games has never appealed to me, it's such a shallow progression system. If the banner does anything it should be qualitative, like unlocking a new game mechanic or hell even just unlocking new units. Otherwise it's just yet another perk, and the game doesnt fundamentally change after you get it.
On one hand, I think even a shallow progression system can still be fun for a player.

On the other, you're right. Maybe something about you having the legitimacy of an imperial icon would make those Roman-style minor faction come serve you for free or unlock a ticking Legitimacy score that builds up as long as other imperial factions aren't actively pushing your **** in, until finally all their clans defect.

But TW doesn't want (and judging by mods, neither do most players) some fundamental mechanic locked behind the Dragon Banner. Or any banner.

The banner of Calradia is the symbol of Calradia, i.e. its spirit, which means that it should give morale to those under the banner and take away from those who are against it.
On the other hand, it should bring together the factions that want to unite and unite those who are against it, i.e. build coalitions.

Drop the damage reduction and damage increase to 25% and +50% and this sounds good.

Also, the faction leaders should handsomely reward you for giving them the banner. Like increase relation by 50, and give you ten thousand denars

50% ranged damage reduction essentially changes the game from realistic to easy difficulty. That's a bit too much imo, 25% is plenty.

I'm not sure how OP a 2x melee damage modifier would be, so while it sounds ridiculous, it may not be as much as I think it is.

This

The final application of the banner/s effects/bonus is far from what many of us expected. That said...

For me and certainly the Dragon banner as basics should provide a morale bonus (effect bonus) + access to exclusive content (practical gameplay bonus).

For the sake of an unsophisticated application, I would say:

Morale: % positive morale application for the carrying group as opposed to a % negative morale for the opposing group in battle scenario (both simulated and in-mission).

Exclusive troops: In-game reference is made to the Vaegir guard on several occasions; here are some examples:

I was part of the old Emperor Arenicos's Vaegir Guard. But the people turned on us after his death, and attacked us. Maybe you've heard the story before. There's a whole lot of us, spat out into the world by the ungrateful Calradians.
Started in the Vaegir guard. I found that I was the only real warrior among them. They were all about marching here and there in their pretty uniforms, not pulling sword from scabbard for months on end. I told them what I thought, and my captain told me to keep my mouth shut or leave. So I left.

What if the player after getting the banner had access to the vaegir guard recruitment? maybe an exclusive noble style troop tree?

Exclusive troops: In-game reference is made to the Vaegir guard on several occasions; here are some examples:

What if the player after getting the banner had access to the vaegir guard recruitment? maybe an exclusive noble style troop tree?
This is a very good idea! Maybe we can even split the unique troop as a choice between Vaegir Guard (Banner given to an imperial faction) vs Nord Huscarl or Shieldmaiden (Banner given to a barbarian faction).

Banners like -10% ranged damage are actually pretty good. -50% ranged damage would just be stupid, anything above 20% stat damage change for an entire party is OP in my opinion.

The Dragon Banner would seem mostly about legitimacy and influence and rather less about in-battle effects. That said, it could combine a couple combat bonuses since most banners only give bonuses to a certain troop type, having -10% damage from all sources of damage +20% morale for all Empire troops would be pretty nice.

I would much more like the Dragon Banner to speed up recruitment, making units 2x available from villages, lower army cohesion loss, and increase cultural bonus for Empire culture towns.

Back
Top Bottom