Steam Awards: Bannerlord NOT most Innovative Gameplay

Would've Bannerlord deserved most Innovative Gameplay of the Year?

• Yes

Votes: 12 16.2%
  • No

Votes: 62 83.8%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Bannerlord didn't got the most Innovative Gameplay Steam Award.

It's disappointing to me and I feel sorry for the devs.

The M&B franchise is one of a kind. Beside all the issues Bannerlord is having, it's Gameplay of combining so many different genres is truly unique. Unique enough to call it most Innovative of this year. And i completely would like to see everyone working on this game getting the honor of an award for their product.

On the other hand side i think it might be too early for such kind of praise.
we all know the game still has some rough edges. Is it actually fair to give an award to something which is having major flaws within the unique gameplay? The Job is simply not done yet.

A game called Stray won the award.
You run around as a cat. It's a 3D Plattformer with some 0 IQ Puzzles. Even monchug could easily solve them. Most of the time you spend jumping and walking around. Sometimes you push a button - that barely covers horse archer gameplay (without smithing). Gametime is 5-6h. Anyway though, the game is polished.

That being said, Bannerlord has more to offer than Stray.

Other nominees: Teardown, Neon white, Dome Keeper

Am i actually wrong? Would be cool to see what you think about it to get some general thoughts collected.

I thought the nomination was weird, tbh. The most innovative aspects of the game were there in the original Mount & Blade and Warband over a decade ago. Bannerlord doesnt feel like a huge jump in terms of new innovations. Its more of an iteration of the basic concept than something new.

Awards are fake and cringe. That said all the changes form Warband are loudly complained about by people who played warband, so I don't think there's any horns to toot over innovation. Added annoying mechanics replacing working ones and made bigger battles that the AI can't function in.

Give it to Elden Ring in honor of my reformed Rabbi Bill Clinton!

That being said, Bannerlord has more to offer than Stray.
Yeah, but the award is "Most Innovative" and BL doesn't really move far (one might say... stray) from the gameplay of Warband, Viking Conquest, etc. I'm not familiar with Stray but in Neon White the sacrifice mechanic gives a pretty fresh spin on the FPS genre. Some other FPS have high mobility/parkour but NW tying it directly to reducing your offensive potential, and all the interactions that result, does make it feel like something new. That's more than BL did with its gameplay, although to be fair I don't think they set out to do a shakeup at all.

FPS, 3D platformers and such are saturated genres so new titles have way more incentive to try something (anything) new.

Awards are fake and cringe.

Agreed, they're just arbitrary.
Even so if you compare Bannerlord to most of the other games with a similar budget, which are typically derivative-ass clones or even remakes of overdone normie games from 10 years ago, Bannerlord is basically Citizen Kane. It's like Total War, nobody else even tries to copy them. That's changing nowadays but Bannerlord is still fairly unique.

I laughed hard when I saw this nomination.

Bannerlord just copied the gameplay 1:1 from an over 10 year old game = most innovative 🤡

Even Fifa 2067 will be more innovative and more complete as a final game.

But Bannerlord would deserve a "Not finished after over a decade and final release" award!

There's nothing innovative about the remake of a 10+ years old game.
There's nothing innovative about releasing unfinished games either, that's becoming the trend actually.

Being innovative or having hymnic reviews isn't relevant to me. The cat game I would never buy tbh, other than the Souls stuff, Elden Ring, Witchers or RD Redemption which at least I tried before throwing them away. What is innovative, being a cat? I don't have enough interest to read the award criteria. :mrgreen:

As people said, awards are very arbitrary, and mostly serve just as a badge to make the studio feel they can charge a hefty price for their future endeavours. Not going through the merit of Stray, but it does seem much nore innovative than bannerlord.

What BL actually deserved this time is Labor of Love. Given the amount of bashing they get in their own forums, and they keep trying to make the same game they intended back in 2019... they clearly show love. Even if its an abusive, toxic and nearly fruitless love. But as arbitrary as awards are, it was "new" to a lot of people, so they think its innovative. And that it could not win. Disregarding the core mechanics from previous titles, family, aging, succession, complex sandbox world. These things are very hard, but not new.

Being innovative or having hymnic reviews isn't relevant to me. The cat game I would never buy tbh, other than the Souls stuff, Elden Ring, Witchers or RD Redemption which at least I tried before throwing them away. What is innovative, being a cat? I don't have enough interest to read the award criteria. :mrgreen:
crying.jpg

I bought the cat game. I will play the cat game, and i am pretty certain i will love the cat game. You wanna keep to your manlet power fantasies? You do you. Im not judging your small equipment or authoritarian tendencies.
The slaying of beasts gets old rather quickly and deeper content is then required.

there isn't a slither of innovation in this game, it's just a bland mass accessibility profit focused piece of **** like many other games in this time

At least this game has not shown its innovation for the following reasons: 1. MOD is mostly mending and mending, which has not attracted more people's input, so naturally you have not received more attention. 2. The game itself is not perfect, not even the most basic dynamic weather and day night cycle, not the moon and stars at night, not closely connected with each system, which makes it easy to get away from immersion and pay attention to funny bugs everywhere, Programmers are extremely irresponsible. After several years of bug repair, there will still be various crashes. They do not have the quality of commercial distribution,

Back
Top Bottom