Battania needs a buff

Users who are viewing this thread

zengry

Recruit
After over 2 years of early access i thought someone would of said it by now but maybe there is not a lot of battania players, Battania needs some sort of buff, they are is the middle if 3 factions, they have one less clan than most factions. less cities and less castles and so they are usually wiped off the grid rather quickly and dont think its fair that battania gets no love. Adding a city a castle or 2 or even just another clan would be beneficial to the kingdom, Vlandia has doubled the towns and 2-3 more clans. As its neighbor battania needs more to put up a fight. Just thought i should throw this out there.

Not my experience at all, for me they do unusually well probably because they can bring all their troops to bear better than most factions. In my current play through they were constantly at war with two factions yet managed to defeat them all piecemeal. They beat the Aserai and Vlandians and the Western Empire and they absolutely slaughtering the Sturgians.

Not my experience at all, for me they do unusually well probably because they can bring all their troops to bear better than most factions. In my current play through they were constantly at war with two factions yet managed to defeat them all piecemeal. They beat the Aserai and Vlandians and the Western Empire and they absolutely slaughtering the Sturgians.
Thats impressive, i test a lot of timelapse and usually they are first to go, but sometimes a contender but not often, it really depends on who sieges who first. Were they able to conquer and cities?

I play Battania on max difficulty unmodded.

They are supposed to be a barbarian faction that is at risk of dying out to new technology/imperialism and trying to fight back. They don't have a good economy on the surface but since all the villages are close together trading is really good. Also Caladog's town has 4 villages and it is insane.

Battania has Cantor policy by default which makes them have more militia and also Battania culture bonus gives more militia and improves forest movement. This means Battanian vassal have close villages and can move quickly to defend and along with good militia it makes Battania very hard to conquer.

The only real way you can conquer them is to first take their castle which essentially takes away their champions and use their own champions against them, a truly desipible thing only an imperialist dog would do lol, otherwise you will find that when you try to siege their large towns with tons of fians and militia your troops will simply get shot down like flies.

Their units are also the best at low tiers. Volunteers are hands down the best tier 1 unit they come with 2 handed mallets and their noble line starts with longbows. This makes them even more resistant to being conquered because even their volunteers can knock out a legionary with a mallet and their baseline archer uses a longbow. They by far have the most natural fighting ability of any faction as opposed to the soft domesticated empire units who start out very weak and need a lot of training and armor to become good.

They are a faction of unrefined barbarians yet at the same time dedicated and skilled champions. Because many of them use throwing weapons and two handed polearms they have a lot of potential. There are many stacking captain perks that can boost these particular skills (throwing and polearm) really high so even these units can become similar to fian champions.

The economy is also good in that workshops in Caladogs city earn a ton and since everything is close together you can trade and get trade rumors quite easily, moving faster with the culture bonus.

Altogether the strengths they have more than offset the weaknesses

Yep, the layout of their lands with just a few chokes and several towns near each other allows some of the easiest defense of any kingdom and the forest movement can be especially annoying once you have a party size about 50 because most Batannian parties run as fast or faster in forests until you get the movement perks.

As a side note, their tournaments feel like the only kingdom winning isn't 100% automatic due to all the 2 handed and throwing weapons, trying to dodge a throwing axe and block a 2 handed axe at the same time takes some practice.

I play Battania on max difficulty unmodded.

They are supposed to be a barbarian faction that is at risk of dying out to new technology/imperialism and trying to fight back. They don't have a good economy on the surface but since all the villages are close together trading is really good. Also Caladog's town has 4 villages and it is insane.

Battania has Cantor policy by default which makes them have more militia and also Battania culture bonus gives more militia and improves forest movement. This means Battanian vassal have close villages and can move quickly to defend and along with good militia it makes Battania very hard to conquer.

The only real way you can conquer them is to first take their castle which essentially takes away their champions and use their own champions against them, a truly desipible thing only an imperialist dog would do lol, otherwise you will find that when you try to siege their large towns with tons of fians and militia your troops will simply get shot down like flies.

Their units are also the best at low tiers. Volunteers are hands down the best tier 1 unit they come with 2 handed mallets and their noble line starts with longbows. This makes them even more resistant to being conquered because even their volunteers can knock out a legionary with a mallet and their baseline archer uses a longbow. They by far have the most natural fighting ability of any faction as opposed to the soft domesticated empire units who start out very weak and need a lot of training and armor to become good.

They are a faction of unrefined barbarians yet at the same time dedicated and skilled champions. Because many of them use throwing weapons and two handed polearms they have a lot of potential. There are many stacking captain perks that can boost these particular skills (throwing and polearm) really high so even these units can become similar to fian champions.

The economy is also good in that workshops in Caladogs city earn a ton and since everything is close together you can trade and get trade rumors quite easily, moving faster with the culture bonus.

Altogether the strengths they have more than offset the weaknesses
You make a valid point, i cant argue at all but what I will say is if your not helping battania and just a mercenary or just not fighting at all for lets say the first 10 years, Most tests battania has been down 4 cities and the pattern i see is once they lose a town they are really broke, because now that town lets say belongs to Vlandia. Vlandia has perks to call armies for less influence, so half the time they come in with 50% bigger army and other armies than any battanian army will…Most of the time, Now if your 50 years in, Vlandia can have a 2300 man army and 2 other 1000 man armies and they just shred the battanian lands. Usually it doesnt need 50 years. With so many towns and cities close by vlandia has a pattern of taking multiple battanian fiefs quick. Vlandia can call many armies and have access to fians very quick if they conquer. Only times i have battania gaining ground is if they defend a fief first, wipe out a army due to interruption of a siege. Than battania does have some chances. Most of the time it just comes to who brings down the bigger army first. Battana has a lovely backround story and what you said early is on point. But i cant say battania is ever successful without the player on their side. They have less clans and less castles. Its more devastating battania losing a castle than vlandia or western empire, because the other factions have more to spare. Like i said once battania loses a town and a castle its almost the start of the end. Going off timelaspes

This is simply not true, I can conquer them in 1 in-game year, when I want it.
(Even the AI sometimes conquer them very fast.)
So, I would not say they are very hard to conquer, they are very easy to conquer and remember militia is only tier 2 and tier 3.

After over 2 years of early access i thought someone would of said it by now but maybe there is not a lot of battania players, Battania needs some sort of buff, they are is the middle if 3 factions, they have one less clan than most factions. less cities and less castles and so they are usually wiped off the grid rather quickly and dont think its fair that battania gets no love. Adding a city a castle or 2 or even just another clan would be beneficial to the kingdom, Vlandia has doubled the towns and 2-3 more clans. As its neighbor battania needs more to put up a fight. Just thought i should throw this out there.
In lore, Battania are meant to die off by the time of Warband. So from a lore perspective it makes sense that they should be inclined to lose.

Plus it is good for one of the factions to be a little bit weaker to be the "underdog" faction who feels more satisfying to do well as.

And they aren't even that weak. Their culture bonus is really good. Their cities are close together, making their caravans move goods quicker and armies better at congregating to defend.

I am currently doing a Battania vassal playthrough, and we are winning and defeating Sturgia. So I don't think Battania needs a buff.

In lore, Battania are meant to die off by the time of Warband. So from a lore perspective it makes sense that they should be inclined to lose.

Plus it is good for one of the factions to be a little bit weaker to be the "underdog" faction who feels more satisfying to do well as.

And they aren't even that weak. Their culture bonus is really good. Their cities are close together, making their caravans move goods quicker and armies better at congregating to defend.

I am currently doing a Battania vassal playthrough, and we are winning and defeating Sturgia. So I don't think Battania needs a buff.
Battania should get a huge debuff, for their heroes battle death chance, it should be higher as normal, because they are barbarians without knowledge or medicine.

If you are doing battania playthrough they are not that weak, but im talking from a perspective of not being battanian. They are first to go. But like you said they are the underdogs and you saying they should be a losing faction does kinda make sence, i just always play battania because they are the weakest so it would technically be the hardest to play as. Just hurts me i guess by loving them so much and not playing them they just crumble. Aha but yes thanks for the feedback

Battania should get a huge debuff, for their heroes battle death chance, it should be higher as normal, because they are barbarians without knowledge or medicine.
Now now lets not do that lmao, they already have fewer clans castles and towns, and whenever you start a campaign they usually are the bottom of strength right off the bat. Vlandia and aserai usually around 6k off the start and battania in last with around 4.5k

This is simply not true, I can conquer them in 1 in-game year, when I want it.
(Even the AI sometimes conquer them very fast.)
So, I would not say they are very hard to conquer, they are very easy to conquer and remember militia is only tier 2 and tier 3.
The thing with bannerlord as a veteran player. I get they make it for casuals and not everyone plays this game like I do, but really any faction is simply easy, to win any war all you need is like Only your clan and maybe one other, you can wait for them to seige, bring there troops down and attack when you have more power of the other army. And when you siege depending on your troops, you can obliterate a town 300-600 easy. Where it takes enemy armies 1400 men to barely win a 400-500 defender town. They had a bug i actually liked, where if a enemy army starts a siege and a defender army rolls by they didnt attack until ter the siege was either over or they retreated. This i liked because it was somewhat how the player sieges. the player doesnt get interrupted in seiges or battles. And i liked this because neither did AI.

The thing with bannerlord as a veteran player. I get they make it for casuals and not everyone plays this game like I do, but really any faction is simply easy, to win any war all you need is like Only your clan and maybe one other, you can wait for them to seige, bring there troops down and attack when you have more power of the other army. And when you siege depending on your troops, you can obliterate a town 300-600 easy. Where it takes enemy armies 1400 men to barely win a 400-500 defender town. They had a bug i actually liked, where if a enemy army starts a siege and a defender army rolls by they didnt attack until ter the siege was either over or they retreated. This i liked because it was somewhat how the player sieges. the player doesnt get interrupted in seiges or battles. And i liked this because neither did AI.
Unless like this last campaign i did over 40 years in and vlandia had a 2300 man army, a 1300 man army and 800 man army all attacking Maranauth. That i simply couldnt win but i was almost able to attack because they lost over 2k troops to my 700 defenders but simply had to much. Battania cant muster a army that big and thats why i want battania to have another clan and a city. Battania has few fiefs and each one really matters to them. they cant spare as much as vlandia can.

I dont think i should be winning a 1-2 battle especially in seiges where AI needs usually a 3-1 or more ratio to conquer

If you are doing battania playthrough they are not that weak, but im talking from a perspective of not being battanian. They are first to go. But like you said they are the underdogs and you saying they should be a losing faction does kinda make sence, i just always play battania because they are the weakest so it would technically be the hardest to play as. Just hurts me i guess by loving them so much and not playing them they just crumble. Aha but yes thanks for the feedback
Yes, if you are not playing as a Battanian they are almost doomed to fall. But they occasionally do rather well, so it's not impossible.

They just happen to have very bad positioning on the map, and Fians don't have the same auto-calc "weight" that other Tier 6 (Cavalry) units do. So the Battanians tend to lose more often in A.I. battles. Of course the close proximity is good and bad. Good because it makes it easy for the player to defend, bad because it's very easy for enemies to take multiple fiefs in one war.

Honestly the only way to help Battania would be to really alter the map so they are more "spread out". Of course if there was some form of culture conversion Battania might do better too. That's one bad thing about this game, at no point does culture shift occur. Kind of annoying because it means you're always going to be fighting a lot of Imperials.

That said almost one of the Imperial factions is doomed to be destroyed, or nearly so, within the first decade or so. Sturgia seems to struggle a lot too, they might hang around a long time, but they rarely do well without player help.

The only 3 Kingdoms that do well consistently are usually Vlandia, Aserai, and Khuzaits from my experience. And I believe that's mostly because they occupy the borders, with less directions to be attacked from. I think the reason Sturgia struggles (despite having northern border) is because it has 4 natural enemies and their villages are very scattered on the peninsulas. The single checkpoint in the middle of their Kingdom also doesn't help.

The only real problem with Battania is the poor state of their regular troop tree. There's some real trash with the Battanian Scout/Horseman. The Wildling is good on it's own if you know how to skirmish, but it's generally mixed-in with so many other units you can't do that effectively. Ah well what good was it to be able to assign specific units to specific formations huh? :roll:

Factions are more likely to fight factions on their borders. Starting out, Asari and Vlandia share borders with 3 factions.

Battania border 4 at the start, 5 if the Asari kick off early. They suffer from a lack of non-noble archers relative to all their neighbours.

They have built-in disadvantages, by design. It takes the player to change the expected outcome of their faction.

Similar could be said for the Imperial factions. They suffer from distinct disadvantages of starting location, and without the player, will likely die out.

Back
Top Bottom