Ukraine Today

Users who are viewing this thread

Because that's exactly what they want Russia to think, when in fact the drones were guided by street signs.
Let’s hope so. Remote drone control can be dodgy at long distance and inside EW defences. British Special Forces paint targets with lasers behind enemy lines (probably for missile strikes or smart bombs rather than drones).

Seems there are also experimental laser controlled drones that evade electronic counter measures but require line of sight control. https://newatlas.com/drones/laser-control-drone-qinetiq/ Nothing long range as far as I can see ATM.

Last edited:
Any 'far' ideology tbh. There's been pushback against sending support from both Far-Right and Far-Left speakers.
That's true, but right now i see a lot more far-left in democrats than far-right in republican.
Clearly everyone is going nuts. Why on earth is a Ukrainian official from Zelensky's inner circle briefing the press that Special Forces were/are inside Russia guiding drone attacks? Compromising the secrecy of their own covert operations is ridiculous. https://abcnews.go.com/International/live-updates/russia-ukraine/?id=88905005#94608782
Could be done after they left Russia, or perhaps to increase psychosis in it, don't know.
Btw, there were sighting of post-soviet modernized anti-air defense working on Ukraine territory that wasn't reported before. It ain't patriot but it's something i guess.

That's true, but right now i see a lot more far-left in democrats than far-right in republican.
I wouldn't say you're looking correctly. Currently in the US we have a massive issue with the Far-Right in the GOP, specifically with Trump's influence over the party. Far-Right beliefs in the US are a lot more dangerous then Far-Left ones.

Alliances seem to follow political ideals, so the more conservative, nationalistic you are the more you support Russia.
The fact that Russia is an enemy of the US and the west in general, is irrelevant.

I think that's oversimplifying it. The republican party can't just be boiled down to conservative nationalism. It's evolved into a broad anti-establishment movement containing the remnants of 20th century counterculture, Libertarianism, Trotskyism and a dozen other tendencies that have no reason to "like" Russia but are at the forefront of counternarratives about Ukraine. It's less about dogmatic political labels or ideals, and more about forming an anti-establishment consensus to counter the Democrat establishment. People like Tucker Carlson sound more like 70s counterculture leftists to me than nationalist conservatives.

Their rationale is mostly "hmm, the democrats seem hysterical about Russia, maybe they're hiding something...?". That's basically it. It's a similar strategy behind most of the "far right" in the west, which like the US is more countercultural than strictly conservative anyway.

If there’s no question, then no denial’s required.
“According to investigators the group had even called on the services of clairvoyants to check the veracity of their plan.”
”Another suspect has been identified as Vitalia B, a Russian woman who was asked to approach Moscow on Heinrich's behalf. The Russian embassy in Berlin said in a statement that it did not "maintain contacts with representatives of terrorist groups and other illegal entities".”

Anyway, not much of a plot, if only 25 people needed arrest.

Last edited:
It's just a bunch of losers doomed to fail. No Russian embassy would touch them because they were going to be caught before doing any damage and embarrass the Russians.

Right wing conservative Republicans seem to admire people like Bolsonaro, Orbán, Berlusconi, Le Pen - even Duterte.
They're not necessarily anti-establishment. But they're all conservative nationalists.

Most incumbent politicians outside the west are some kind of conservative nationalist. It's pretty much the baseline norm in South America, Eastern Europe, Africa and most of Asia. But you'll never find a republican who admires Deng Xiaoping or David Cameron.

What makes bolsonaro, orban and duterte etc different is that they're these populist "anti-government" politicians who badmouth and undermine their own institutions to appeal to people who hate those institutions. Some of the biggest trump fanatics are ex hippies and new age crystal moms, while a sizeable portion of the anti trump movement is made up of boomers. In every country where these new populists have emerged, they've split the "right wing" party down the middle, and drawn in new people from liberal or social democrat parties.

I definitely think the term "right wing" is far too broad to be of any use in this context.

Last edited:
I've been looking at the various casualties estimates and would like to understand those reported every day on Facebook by the General Staff of Ukraine's army: https://www.facebook.com/GeneralStaff.ua This gives a number just under 100,000 translated as liquidated personnel. This is relatively close to most other sources for killed and wounded. I had assumed this was a translation error (Ursula von der Leyen's speech writer clearly took them at face value, leading to corrections?), rather than rabid propaganda. Then, I started looking at https://www.minusrus.com/en where those official stats are shown as killed and that number is then multiplied by 3 to estimate the additional wounded, giving a combined total just under 400,000. Is minusrus (a website hosted in Ukraine) official? Does it represent government propaganda? Obviously the higher numbers are ludicrous as they represent about 80% of the Russian and Allied forces operating in Ukraine.
Zeso1.jpg
QvX7s.jpg

Last edited:
If it's in an Excel table with a detailed breakdown, it must be true.
I'd rely on serious Western think tanks whose output is not used as propaganda, but as summary for the Western intel community and the decision- making professionals in the military and intel communities. You can also try this reading list, unless Brexit forbids EU sites.

For the Ukrainian GS numbers, the bull**** factor is around 0.6. They are obviously useless and unreliable, but widely used by propaganda articles. Why would you even look at those numbers and related websites like minusrus?
I also wouldn't trust Ursula's aides, as she is a politician with an agenda too.

Last edited:
If it's in an Excel table with a detailed breakdown, it must be true.
Organising available data into a spreadsheet helps me think through the issues.
I'd rely on serious Western think tanks whose output is not used as propaganda, but as summary for the Western intel community and the decision- making professionals in the military and intel communities. You can also try this reading list, unless Brexit forbids EU sites.T.
Thanks for the link. Brexit’s no barrier, I voted against it. The idiots who did vote for it are now suffering it’s economic consequences even thought they’re blaming it all on Covid lockdowns and the Ukraine war.
Why would you even look at those numbers and related websites like minusrus?
Because I want to understand if that’s official bs from the Ukrainian government or independent bs.

It's amazing that I continue to be surprised by Russian legislation:
War crimes aren't crimes if they're in our interests.

Other Classics:
It's a crime to call Putin's Special Military Operation a war or invasion

Wagner Group "is a private military company that cannot exist under Russian law, and therefore it does not legally exist in Russian law"

Russian "fakes" law "...an activist was detained in Moscow for a poster with eight asterisks. Before that, pacifists had been arrested for holding blank sheets of paper..."

Last edited:
It's amazing that I continue to be surprised by Russian legislation:
War crimes aren't crimes if they're in our interests.

Other Classics:
It's a crime to call Putin's Special Military Operation a war or invasion

Wagner Group "is a private military company that cannot exist under Russian law, and therefore it does not legally exist in Russian law"

Russian "fakes" law "...an activist was detained in Moscow for a poster with eight asterisks. Before that, pacifists had been arrested for holding blank sheets of paper..."

Now don't get me wrong, I think this is a disgusting war perpetrated by a bunch of sadistic WWII LARP-ers and criminals, but come on. These tactics aren't even Russian originals - America did most of this during the most recent Iraq War. They should have been smart enough to know how that turned out for the States, though.

Back
Top Bottom