Late game is non-stop war and it's not fun

Users who are viewing this thread

Other factions just take turns to declare war on us. There is no time to take a breather, manage the fiefs that I own, clear nearby hideouts, upgrade my family's gear, sell all the loot that I've amassed, talk to other lords etc. Khuzaits declare war and then the Vlandians, we go back to the other side of the map but they take a couple fiefs until we arrive, we take those back, then Aserai declare war, we peace out with Vlandians to take on the Aserai and then the Sturgians declare war, on and on it goes. Wtf is this?

Is it really that hard to implement some basic **** about diplomacy like a truce period that actually make sense (since I'm constantly at war, truce periods don't mean much rn unless it's much longer than what it is now) and some non-aggression pacts? Maybe implement giving orders to my armies once I'm a faction leader so that I can tell my 3 armies not to siege the same ****ing city and just go and wait in reserve somewhere else. I know there's next to nothing to do in peace time once you take care of some stuff but I can't even get that rn. This is ridiculous.

Pass a few policies for loyalty and ignore hideouts and quests for entire game: "Okay that's fine"
Add actual diplomacy/treaties/alliances/strategy: "no no no too much power for the player, they'll finish the game too fast if they don't use the same forced brain dead systems as the AI"

Nevermind diplomacy, they still haven't made it so that landless kingdoms get destroyed or kingdoms being able to hire minor factions without having the money to pay. Don't get me wrong, the game does badly need proper diplomacy, but even without implementing any new things or overhauling old ones, there are so many things that can be done to massively improve the lategame.

Pass a few policies for loyalty and ignore hideouts and quests for entire game: "Okay that's fine"
Add actual diplomacy/treaties/alliances/strategy: "no no no too much power for the player, they'll finish the game too fast if they don't use the same forced brain dead systems as the AI"

The game is actually forcing me to finish the game.I was just taking my time doing the main quest (taking over Empire fiefs), waiting for my children to grow up. Doing some boring quests here and there. I wasn't trying to "beat" the game I was trying to enjoy it. But I started to chain-siege my way to the finish line now.

The thing is, the game is quite easy even on Bannerlord difficulty (especially late game) so if someone wants to steamroll the entire campaign, they'll do it regardless of any diplomacy system being implemented or not. This lack of diplomacy is not making the game any harder, it's just making it much more annoying.

The game is actually forcing me to finish the game.I was just taking my time doing the main quest (taking over Empire fiefs), waiting for my children to grow up. Doing some boring quests here and there. I wasn't trying to "beat" the game I was trying to enjoy it. But I started to chain-siege my way to the finish line now.

The thing is, the game is quite easy even on Bannerlord difficulty (especially late game) so if someone wants to steamroll the entire campaign, they'll do it regardless of any diplomacy system being implemented or not. This lack of diplomacy is not making the game any harder, it's just making it much more annoying.

Ah, that's your bigger problem - you continued the main quest after rescuing your family.

Big mistake. You want to destroy most of the empire, or expand one empire faction like a lot, before doing that. And you want lots and lots of money.

Otherwise you are kinda stuck with nearly non-stop war and outnumbered.

They still use the Top Dog penalty to drive factions to constantly declare war on you, yeah.

It is pretty annoying after awhile.

Other factions just take turns to declare war on us. There is no time to take a breather, manage the fiefs that I own, clear nearby hideouts, upgrade my family's gear, sell all the loot that I've amassed, talk to other lords etc. Khuzaits declare war and then the Vlandians, we go back to the other side of the map but they take a couple fiefs until we arrive, we take those back, then Aserai declare war, we peace out with Vlandians to take on the Aserai and then the Sturgians declare war, on and on it goes. Wtf is this?

Is it really that hard to implement some basic **** about diplomacy like a truce period that actually make sense (since I'm constantly at war, truce periods don't mean much rn unless it's much longer than what it is now) and some non-aggression pacts? Maybe implement giving orders to my armies once I'm a faction leader so that I can tell my 3 armies not to siege the same ****ing city and just go and wait in reserve somewhere else. I know there's next to nothing to do in peace time once you take care of some stuff but I can't even get that rn. This is ridiculous.
Just get the Diplomacy Mod

You will crazy enough actually experience some periods of peace. But you're more likely to end up in wars with multiple Kingdoms, which makes things a bit more interesting. The key thing is you the player as a sovereign have some actual tools, and you can make some sense of the game world. Though I haven't gotten far enough in latest playthru to confirm if it really resolves the lousy nature of the late game. Sadly I don't think the A.I. makes use of Alliances or anything. But Non-Agression Pacts at the end of every war do a lot to curb all the dumb war declarations.

Also messengers saves you from wasting 1000s of denars/pointless traveling just to speak to another Noble about arranging a marriage. But messengers would be terrible in actual game - you can't expect Lords to send messengers when everyone can just text message each other when they want to declare/end war!

I would not wait for TW. Who knows if TW's Diplomacy will even be any good when it comes out like 9-12 months from now. TW is like the old hunched man who can barely walk through the grocery store. I mean you can be polite and wait for him to move, or you can do the more prudent thing, go around him, or turn around and just go through another aisle. Both of which are sadly faster than being "patient and polite".

Bingo

The only real difficulty in Bannerlord is how well can you block NPCs attacks and how good are you at leading shots with a bow. Everything on the campaign map is just about creating articificial tedium to slow you down or stop snowballing. Want to unlock all the recruitment slots from a Notable? Gotta do about a half dozen quests for them. Or just own the fief and let high loyalty/security raise relations for you. Or just gather a big army and take every fief yourself because that's really only thing you can do.

It's pretty appalling how much of this game is blatantly unbalanced or just simply not really finished.

A shame since it could be a really great game in it's own right. But too hard or too much for TW I guess.

Also don't do main quest ever, it's just laughably bad in all respects. Sanbox is what it's all about. I mean your Brother is a great guy, but it's not worth it. Or just forget about the whole dragon banner thing once you get your siblings back. Dragon Banner isn't even really good for anything. I expected it to like stop troops suffering morale loss, but nope it's just like more Charge Damage or something LOL

Wait this is stupid, even the Paradox AI knows, not to declare war against a more powerful ruler/faction.
It is a bad feature to designed to:
a) curb snowballing and help restore things to equilibrium when applied to the AI.
b) provide challenge for the player.

But it feels like **** to play through when you get continuous war declared and nobody wants peace, ever. Eventually, it pushes the player to gather up a single huge army and absolutely truck one faction to the point they can never threaten the player's fiefs, then turn to the next, and the next and the next, until they've painted the continent just to get meaningful peace long enough to unlock another pommel.

With the new tribute calculation brought in the latest patch, even early game is constant war now. Don’t know what exactly they changed but wars always start with ridiculous tributes and by the time it reaches to something my Allies would consider, the enemy kingdom loses their everything. We destroyed NE, SE and Sturgia in only 2 wars and took half of Aserai in 1. And I am not even tier 5 yet. Ridiculous…

It is a bad feature to designed to:
a) curb snowballing and help restore things to equilibrium when applied to the AI.
b) provide challenge for the player.

But it feels like **** to play through when you get continuous war declared and nobody wants peace, ever. Eventually, it pushes the player to gather up a single huge army and absolutely truck one faction to the point they can never threaten the player's fiefs, then turn to the next, and the next and the next, until they've painted the continent just to get meaningful peace long enough to unlock another pommel.
TW deliberately throws wars at player to hide the shortcomings of the game, which is non existent peace time gameplay. So they only want player to experience "cool looking" battles constantly, casual oriented. I'm pretty sure this is a design choice.

I wish you all could send some of your non-stop wars my way. It feels like you guys are talking about an entirely different game than the one I'm playing, where there's hardly any wars at all and when they do start, they end in a couple of days. I had a recent playthrough where I went over a year and a half with no war anywhere. Granted, I haven't made it to the kingdom stage in any recent playthroughs, so maybe things get more lively at that point. I'm also still on 1.0.1, so maybe kingdoms are more belligerent in the latest patch. But for me, I'm hearing all this talk about constant wars and thinking "Where can I get me some of that?"

I guess the only thing that seems clear to me is that whatever calculations the game's using to start and end wars don't seem to be working out at all. Its either too much or too little.

I wish you all could send some of your non-stop wars my way. It feels like you guys are talking about an entirely different game than the one I'm playing, where there's hardly any wars at all and when they do start, they end in a couple of days. I had a recent playthrough where I went over a year and a half with no war anywhere. Granted, I haven't made it to the kingdom stage in any recent playthroughs, so maybe things get more lively at that point. I'm also still on 1.0.1, so maybe kingdoms are more belligerent in the latest patch. But for me, I'm hearing all this talk about constant wars and thinking "Where can I get me some of that?"

I guess the only thing that seems clear to me is that whatever calculations the game's using to start and end wars don't seem to be working out at all. Its either too much or too little.
believe me I'd rather have some extended peace time compared to constantly fighting the never ending doomstacks.

Back
Top Bottom