Trouble Getting Wife Pregnant

Users who are viewing this thread

My wife just had her first baby and I was looking to have another one, but I'm having a tough time. She's only 22 and I have the virility trait but it seems to take ages, like sometimes months can go by without any pregnancy. And I don't want to waste years of my chars life to afk in a settlement so I can to savescum grind which is ruining my immersion and it's not realistic. And it's a big problem because I want to have a reasonably big family, and if it's this hard to have 2 kids, how hard will it be to have 5? I have looked everywhere but there is no one who can explain why it's so hard; people have hinted at there might be certain variables affecting fertility but nothing has been confirmed. But if there are no hidden variables affecting pregnancy then why is it so hard?

Used to be if you waited in a settlement for 10 days with your spouse, you were under 25, and you had less than 2 children you would almost always get pregnant. If you had 2 children the % chance of getting pregnant lessened based on how many children. If you (or spouse?) were over 25 % lessened depending on how much over 25.

Now with live game, I've gotten 2 children for both myself (playing female for 1st time) & Nathanos (brother). Since then, I've tried 3 times with both myself & Nathanos in settlement for 10 days with our spouses. 3 of us are over 25, but none over 30. The other is 22. Usually by now I'd be in constant wars, but there's been decent periods without, so why not try. Neither Nathanos nor myself have gotten a 3rd child. Considering thats actually 6 tries, I'm surprised there's been no 3rd child. Anyone know if TW capped it at a maximum age of 25 or maximum 2 children? I don't mind taking the time when there's no wars going on, but I'd rather not waste time if its no longer possible.

Regarding your question though Wyrda, Nathanos wife and I both got pregnant the first time we waited 10 days (I think it took a total of 8 days). The second time Nathanos wife got pregnant with the 10 day wait, but I didn't. The 3rd wait I got pregnant, but she didn't. The 3 waits since then there's been no pregnancy. You mentioned your wife is 22 (which should be a reasonable chance), but you didn't mention your character's age. I don't know whether its both the male and female ages taken into consideration or just the female.

It's a fairly low chance even with verile perk and it goes down after each baby and as the lady ages. My advice is just save and reload after you wait for 10 days so you're not wasting so much time. You could of course just wait a single night and re-load too. As for your immersion... yeah it's gonna get wrecked because this mechanic is horrible. I surprised you lasted with nay through getting married at all.
how hard will it be to have 5?
Very hard! I would say 3 or 4 is reasonable but more will be very annoying. However I did make 10 in one game.

Here is a thread where the Dev tells the formula so you can see if you can figure it out if you want an exact answer!
https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?threads/disabled-infertility-chance-and-instead-introduced-a-reduced-pregnancy-probability-with-every-additional-child-how-much-tho.432081/

My horrible guide

My horrible guide with my horrible mic because of people can't ****ing read kept whining, now they whine about the voice!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O166ONMj7Nc&t=7s

I think the most I ever had was 5 by one wife. The last one was a surprise while waiting at a hideout. I usually try to get either my or my brother's wife to 3 though.

These days I don't bother with more than a couple. The reload/wait/reload/wait/reload game gets boring. I just leave brother and wife together in a city for a few years and they end up building a decent brood.

My wife just had her first baby and I was looking to have another one, but I'm having a tough time. She's only 22 and I have the virility trait but it seems to take ages, like sometimes months can go by without any pregnancy. And I don't want to waste years of my chars life to afk in a settlement so I can to savescum grind which is ruining my immersion and it's not realistic. And it's a big problem because I want to have a reasonably big family, and if it's this hard to have 2 kids, how hard will it be to have 5? I have looked everywhere but there is no one who can explain why it's so hard; people have hinted at there might be certain variables affecting fertility but nothing has been confirmed. But if there are no hidden variables affecting pregnancy then why is it so hard?
if you desperate need you use the cheat conceive_child

From a personal standpoint, I don't do reloads. I figure if I make a bad decision I need to live with it. If the game crashes thats a different story though. I play with death enabled (50%), but the only time I had my main character die was when he was captured and executed by someone. As soon as he was executed the game crashed. So when I reloaded I avoided the battle where I was captured. :cool:

If you wait more than 10 days just pop out and go the another town to reset the counter. I usually only do that if I am smithing and waiting for companions to clear Issues so you're not just doom-scrolling IG or 4chan while doing it lol.

Reading the thread Ananda posted, it answers my question. Male spouse age doesn't matter, just female. Also # of children by female matters, not male. Makes some sense, I suppose, but... For all those out there playing female characters, I guess that means you can't kill off your husband if you want to have more babies.

Thanks for the replies.

To give an update, my wife Daellian had a third child and it took approximately 130 days to get pregnant. But funnily enough, the fourth pregnancy only took a few days of waiting, which makes me question Taleworld's maths. Also, does anyone know if having twins counts for two children or just one?

Anyway, I hope they flesh this mechanic out a bit more. I understand why they might not want you spawning a near infinite amount of vassals, but making it too hard isn't good either. I think they should, for example, make the happiness of your wife dictate your chances of pregnancy, and to make your wife happy you should satisfy certain conditions, e.g. doing actions that align with her personality, doing quests that she gives you, giving her gifts, having a good charm skill, etc. That way growing your family takes effort.

Back
Top Bottom