Feminism

Users who are viewing this thread

People should work on figuring out whether LGBT people are truly capable of holding a family together and take care of children properly.
There's no guarantee of that in heterosexual families, but nobody makes those prospective parents pass an aptitude test before they start making babies. Many times, children are created accidentally and their parents decide after the fact that they don't want them, which I would argue is significantly more problematic for society than people simply deciding not to have kids in the first place or not being biologically capable of doing so with their partner.

The root of your entire argument here is that you want people with non-traditional sexualities to share the same life experience as everyone else (great!) but they have to earn freedom from persecution because they might be "dangerous" or "detrimental" to society if they're given the same latitude as everyone else. The problem with what you are saying--and how you are saying it--is that none of these limits and thresholds are imposed on heterosexual people, and the only reason that is the case is because they are heterosexual. There are no other expectations or qualifications necessary. There's a mountain of evidence indicating that regular consumption of alcohol correlates strongly with poor parenting outcomes, yet no government specifically prohibits people who consume alcohol from becoming parents (that is, in countries which allow alcohol in the first place). There's ****-all for evidence to indicate that being in a non-heterosexual relationship correlates with poor parenting outcomes, and that isn't because it simply hasn't happened enough. All that hasn't happened is legal recognition of the union of those parents.

The reason these people engage in vocal opposition to traditional values, hold pride parades, and make a big deal about their sexuality is because other people (just like you) have been content to let them suffer in silence in the background, where they can be easily ignored. As Kissaki mentioned, it's also safer than ever (though still not entirely safe) to be open about one's sexuality in many places around the world. Sitting back and waiting for some mindful & conscientious politician to come along and acknowledge that you're tolerably mundane isn't a viable path to progress. Advocating for that is equivalent to advocating for continued intolerance and repression, and no amount of carrot justifies that stick.

That's why I put emphasis on living normally (work, etc) instead of promoting your homosexuality or gender dysphoria.
It's not that they're promoting it, exactly, but when they've been repressed for so long it's a natural reaction, I guess. Being LGBT - or not - is not cause for pride as such, but it's a counter to the collective shaming they've been subjected to - and still are. The opposite of shame is pride, so there you go.

Mind you, I've always thought it odd that on they spend so much effort trying to convince the world that they're the same as everybody else, that they are normal as well. But then comes that one time of the year, when they celebrate their LGBT-ness, and it's all about being as different from the norm as possible. And I've always felt that this isn't doing them any favours.

Because they're not something to be promoted. The queerness, not the people, mind you. Because being a homosexual is detrimental to reproduction,
I don't think that's a great argument in a world with 8 billion people.

Yes, because marriage and adoption are so important that a government needs to be very careful about it.
Even if you could make that argument for adoption, it has no bearing on the question of marriage. You're not automatically allowed to adopt just because you're married, so what's the problem?

As for adoption, this is something which needs to be decided on a case by case basis, because not all straight couples are suited either. And this being the case, there is no need to exclude broad groups either. Let us say, for the sake of argument, that 95% of straight couples make excellent parents, but only 5% of gay couples can boast the same (the real numbers are not going to be so extreme). Why shouldn't those 5% be allowed to adopt? And for those who are denied adoption, why shouldn't they be allowed to marry?

This is yet another one of the things I called "what's truly important." People should work on figuring out whether LGBT people are truly capable of holding a family together and take care of children properly. You wouldn't want orphans to be adopted by people who can't take care of them. Before you jump on my neck, I'll mention once again that I think they can do it, as long as they're not obsessed with their gender identity or LGBT ideology.
I think it's more that they're obsessed with their rights. Just like when women protested, it's not that they wanted recognition for being women - they wanted recognition that they were equal to men. They wanted the right to vote, it's not that they were obsessed with their gender.

@Grank I can't help but wonder how many people in the LGBT community you know. Your posts read like you're very, very removed from what they are really like.

The most "outrageous" thing that I personally experienced in my life is seeing someone who otherwise looks like a man wearing lipstick and women clothes. Which, sure, it's different from what most people would expect to see, and I can see how it could make some people feel uncomfortable, but honestly that's something for them to figure out. That person is not harming anyone. To me your posts read as saying that that person should dress "normally", which is why I made the analogy that it's like you saying that a cisgender man should wear a bra. Because that's how not wearing lipstick and women clothes feels to that particular individual. And honestly it's not my business to tell people what they should and shouldn't wear, especially when expressing themselves in a certain way makes the difference between them being able to live a fulfilling life and them being miserable.

If I am misinterpreting your posts and you are talking about something else, than I have no idea of what you are talking about. I know and work with several gay men and a handful of transgender people and I have never experienced anything that jumps to the eye in a way that would cause someone to write what you're writing. In fact most of the time I don't think about the fact that they are "different" (whatever that may mean. I am different too, and I don't get any hate for it) at all. So I guess mission accomplished?

they have to earn freedom from persecution because they might be "dangerous" or "detrimental" to society if they're given the same latitude as everyone else.
None of us control our race, sexuality or birthplace. A lot of our natures are predetermined before birth by a genetic and ancestral lottery. That diversity is fine unless it's dangerous or detrimental to society. Any kind of sex between consenting adults in private is ok.
However, its not acceptable to let paedophiles follow their natural instincts. While we'd equally ban heterosexuals etc. from molesting or grooming children, they are not genetically driven to do so.
Life is full of grey areas. In normal times of peace, there's no place for psychopaths, but they might slot in perfectly to military life during wars. Does the high incidence of war crimes associated with the Wagner group reflect a genetic predisposition of those choosing to be hardcore mercenaries or the moral corruption of any human living a life of continual violence? Possibly both depending upon the individual.

Last edited:
While we'd equally ban heterosexuals etc. from molesting or grooming children, they are not genetically driven to do so.
I am gonna need to see a source for that :smile:

Most of what I am seeing that is not from obvious homophobe sources seems to go along these lines:

Interestingly most actual research on the topic seem to be quite old.

Last edited:
We have our own blindspots, which future generations will ridicule. In hindsight, it is easy to dismiss the "science" of physiognomy, where European bias equated African features with subservience or Jewish features with meanness, but which of our unquestioned assumptions will stand the test of time? We are of our time and equally flawed.
The next frontier must be AI rights and then a long struggle for alien rights.
Grank 436 would say that the aliens should prove themselves before we can stop shooting them on sight.
While we'd equally ban heterosexuals etc. from molesting or grooming children, they are not genetically driven to do so.
Sweet summer NPC.

The next frontier must be AI rights and then a long struggle for alien rights.
There a lot of campaigners for animal rights. I haven't seen many for AI or aliens as yet. Alternatively, the Californians may insist on equal rights for frozen heads until they can be resurrected. BTW does a frozen head still need a dental plan?
Given previous discussion of reproduction in non-heterosexual relationships, maybe clone rights will need to be recognised.

@eddiemccandless hardly a source but interesting none the less https://www.mondaq.com/uk/crime/434482/genetic-predisposition-to-paedophilia-and-child-abuse

Last edited:
However, its not acceptable to let paedophiles follow their natural instincts. While we'd equally ban heterosexuals etc. from molesting or grooming children, they are not genetically driven to do so.
gonna need you to clarify what exactly you're saying here because, man, randomly dropping this sidetrack into a conversation about lgbtq people is major dogwhistle territory, and i surely hope this is just unfortunate phrasing and you're not intentionally drawing parallels between queer folk and paedophilia.

gonna need you to clarify what exactly you're saying here because, man, randomly dropping this sidetrack into a conversation about lgbtq people is major dogwhistle territory, and i surely hope this is just unfortunate phrasing and you're not intentionally drawing parallels between queer folk and paedophilia.
What I'm saying is none of us controls our genetic or racial heritage. Accordingly, that should not normally be held against anyone. However, natural/genetic urges can't be given a free pass, if they result in child sexual abuse or murder. I made no inference about LGBT people. I specifically referenced genetically predisposed paedophiles and psychopaths as examples where society needs to intervene even though those individuals may be acting in accordance with a biological inheritance outside of their choice/control.

i do hope you understand why that might read a certain way given it's a common demonisation of queer people being dropped in reply to a post about how queer people are persecuted. you say you made no inference, but it's what the entire conversation is about.

i do hope you understand why that might read a certain way given it's a common demonisation of queer people being dropped in reply to a post about how queer people are persecuted. you say you made no inference, but it's what the entire conversation is about.
This thread is supposedly about feminism, even though the membership of this forum is so predominantly masculine that we rarely get any female posts. Yes, points were raised about LGBT people, but IMO the primary discussion revolved around what was or was not socially acceptable. My comments were made in that more general context.

the conversation of the last three pages has been largely about lgbt people, and both the post you replied to and even the specific quote you chose was @Orion talking very specifically about the persecution they face. i'm glad if it was just poor phrasing, but please consider the possible implications in future.

the conversation of the last three pages has been largely about lgbt people, and both the post you replied to and even the specific quote you chose was @Orion talking very specifically about the persecution they face. i'm glad if it was just poor phrasing, but please consider the possible implications in future.
I quoted a single line from @Orion 's post. That was what I was commenting on. I have been clear in what I said and have provided subsequent clarification to avoid misinterpretation.

As for adoption, this is something which needs to be decided on a case by case basis, because not all straight couples are suited either.
To be honest, vast majority of those are unsuited for adoption too. And children are not taken away from them mostly because they made them - lgbt people also have their children which also stays with them (normal way, invitro or surrogate made). Adoption itself is very touchy subject, because where i live, often parenting rights are not taken away from terrible parents, and children suffer but nobody can adopt them so even good parents can wait AGES for adoption. Yep, it's bad law, bad judicary practice and lack of good will from government, regardless of political options.

To be honest, vast majority of those are unsuited for adoption too. And children are not taken away from them mostly because they made them - lgbt people also have their children which also stays with them (normal way, invitro or surrogate made). Adoption itself is very touchy subject, because where i live, often parenting rights are not taken away from terrible parents, and children suffer but nobody can adopt them so even good parents can wait AGES for adoption. Yep, it's bad law, bad judicary practice and lack of good will from government, regardless of political options.
Yes, it is an enormous mine field. And back in the '90s and early '00s I was dead set against gay people adopting, because even if the prospective parents were eminently suited, society just wasn't ready for it. I have since changed my opinion, but believe I was right at the time. It's not just our parents who raise us, but everyone around us - it's not enough to have loving parents when the surroundings are intolerant. But times have changed a lot over a very short span of time, and now (European) Western society is at least ready for gay parents - if not quite ready for the rest of the alphabet just yet.

Many times, children are created accidentally and their parents decide after the fact that they don't want them
This kind of thing is heavily looked down upon in Islam, and I know was too in Christianity, so yeah I agree it's a big problem. I'm not gonna preach that people should be religious tho. I've caused enough ****storm as it is.

The problem with what you are saying--and how you are saying it--is that none of these limits and thresholds are imposed on heterosexual people, and the only reason that is the case is because they are heterosexual.
Because everyone knows heterosexuals (in general) are capable of continuing the species. There's no reason to question them by their sexuality alone. There are, however, questionings on other factors like their financial capability, their mentality, etc. Not only does social norm does this test for them, natural selection also does. A woman won't marry a man who can't provide, and a man won't marry a deranged woman.

Right now it's the LGBT people who are getting the test, because they want gay marriage and other stuff, and people doubt it because they have not known if it's a good idea. This doubt is not entirely based on bigotry. We simply haven't known it yet, and it's normal to doubt that because it's so odd from natural perspective. First of all, it's not their baby. How will the baby get milk? Full formula? Is that even healthy? How about the psychological needs? Women are known to be more nurturing than men. Can two men do it? How about the kid's feeling? What if they want a mom? What if they get bullied for it? It's not the kid's fault. Alright then, should we test this? Well a human life is too important for experiment isn't it? This is not just a few months of medical experiments in a hospital. This is the entire lifetime of a human being. You can see how difficult this issue is, and why it's normal for people to have doubts.

Sitting back and waiting for some mindful & conscientious politician to come along and acknowledge that you're tolerably mundane isn't a viable path to progress.
I never mentioned politicians or authority when making my suggestions. I said people around you. We didn't need the government to tell us Christians are cool. We learned that by ourselves. We didn't need an imam or a priest or the president to promote "don't be mean to Christians". This happened successfully because Christians were patient. Again, there are so many places and times in history where different social groups blended naturally. It's viable. It's just that these days people want everything fast. They don't have the patience.

It's not that they're promoting it, exactly, but when they've been repressed for so long it's a natural reaction, I guess.
But they are. Justification doesn't erase reality. And you said it yourself. It's pride, and what they're promoting is not "LGBT people are normal". It's "We're so damn weird and we're proud of it, screw you." It's not doing them any favor indeed. Again, I know it's the minority, but it's that loud minority that I'm against. Not the people who are not doing that.

I don't think that's a great argument in a world with 8 billion people.
Those 8 billion people won't take care of YOU when you're too old to work and feed yourself. They have their own family to feed. That's why it's still an issue, and why some countries are freaking out about demographic collapse and birth rate. It's undeniable fact that people grow old and frail. You will need someone to take care of you when that time comes. That's the functional aspect of a family. You invest so much resources into raising someone that will care about you enough to wipe your bum the same way you wiped theirs when they're just helpless babies.

Retirement house workers won't love you the same way. They're just paid to do it, and they have other things to take care of too. And again, they have to be young. Someone else's child. And who's paying them to take care of you? You? Okay. Then what about people who don't have the money? And how many people want to be care takers for the elderly as a profession? You're holding society back if you don't do your part and make your own care taker.

As for adoption, this is something which needs to be decided on a case by case basis
Correct. It should be case by case basis. Is the LGBT movement pushing for this tho? Nope. They think in "us". The whole group. I bet you they won't accept case by case evaluation as they think it's discriminatory to only allow a portion of their "us".

I can't help but wonder how many people in the LGBT community you know. Your posts read like you're very, very removed from what they are really like.
Personally? Two normal ones. I just see and debate with random ones on the Internet every once in a while. During the whole discussion I'm including all those people who put flags and pronouns on their social media profiles. There's so many of them. I'm also including non-LGBT people who are aggressively supporting that movement. I'd say that's decent sample size.

I can see how it could make some people feel uncomfortable, but honestly that's something for them to figure out. That person is not harming anyone.
Really? It's for us to figure out? What constitutes as "harm" here? Even before I knew anything about LGBT people to have any prejudice against them, men dressing like women drew a very natural gag reaction from me. Of course now I can tolerate it to some degree, but there's natural aspect to this. Where should we draw the line? You wouldn't want to see people naked on the streets now would you? You might be fine with it, but how about others? Well, normalize it then I guess? Make people used to it. How about kids then? Should we show drag queens and naked adults to kids? Or should we "educate" kids that these are gay people etc? They dress like women because they prefer having sex with men. What's sex? Well, you see, Jimmy, sex is- [snip]. You see where I'm going with this?

A more general and safe analogy would be noise disturbance. Loud music doesn't harm you. It can annoy the crap out of you, but is it really harming? It's hard to say, isn't it? If you've gone deaf or insane from sleep deprivation, yes it's harm, but it's already too late to address that issue by that point. People have difference tolerance, and people blast music in different ways. There are several types of sound and factor that damp them. So it's best to be respectful to people around you and don't play music too loud. You might say "So you're telling LGBT people to hide their true self?" Yes but not exactly. Just keep your sex stuff in the bedroom. Is that really an issue? It shouldn't be, right? I mean, everyone else here is keeping their sex stuff to themselves. I don't know your sexual fetish and you don't know mine.

I mean, everyone else here is keeping their sex stuff to themselves.
I think a better question than "how many LGBT people do you know" is "how many people in general do you know" or "how often do you go outside" if this is honestly what you think. This is heavy confirmation bias, which is kinda understandable because heterosexual relationships are the deeply entrenched norm, but because it's the norm you take it for granted. You notice when mention of non-hetero relationships appears because it's not what you're expecting, but when it's heterosexual relationships you don't think anything of it because it's the norm. When guys talk about their girlfriends or vice versa, people in media (fiction and non-fiction) are portrayed in heterosexual relationships, etc. it's all taken for granted and left out of your mental calculus for determining how prevalent it is. It doesn't have to be graphic or extreme to be in your face. It is easy to feel that minority groups are overreacting when you are part of the vast majority both in population demographics and representation in media, politics, etc.

How will the baby get milk? Full formula? Is that even healthy? How about the psychological needs? Women are known to be more nurturing than men. Can two men do it? How about the kid's feeling? What if they want a mom? What if they get bullied for it?
There's a lot of data on babies fed exclusively formula, because there are several conditions which can prohibit breastfeeding. "Women are more nurturing than men" is a gender role stereotype, reinforced by women taking on care-giver responsibilities more than men. There are also many instances of single men raising children alone in instances where the mother abandons them, dies, or what have you. None of these issues are exclusive to non-heterosexual people, and there's a lot of data for it. There is no need to sit on our hands and wait for the facts to come in because the facts are already at hand. That's why every post you write reads like moving the goalposts, because arguments from rational positions have already been refuted by data. What remains are non-rational positions e.g. religious opposition to LGBT and traditionalism.

But they are. Justification doesn't erase reality. And you said it yourself. It's pride, and what they're promoting is not "LGBT people are normal". It's "We're so damn weird and we're proud of it, screw you." It's not doing them any favor indeed. Again, I know it's the minority, but it's that loud minority that I'm against. Not the people who are not doing that.
When I lived in Brighton, the city had annual gay pride marches. These were like carnivals or parades of celebration. They were peaceful, colourful and fun events where ordinary people dressed up in exotic costumes. Because they were ordinary people who fitted in, they needed an occasional event to promote their lifestyle and remind the rest of us that they were different and that diversity should be valued.

Back
Top Bottom