This game sucks

Users who are viewing this thread

You probably werent here for the 2019-2020 beta, which is where a lot of this anger comes from. They created a subforum for suggestions, but then actively shut down most criticism of the mechanics that everyone said were bad, like the stances and the class system. This went on for about a year, people were telling them that MP would fail and lose its playerbase if they insisted in keeping these mechanics, so when the game released in early access and MP died almost straight away, all these people were furious.

It took a very long time for this all to build up by the way. Same with singleplayer, most people were annoyed by the poor release and all the bugs, but they expected them to be patched. And while a lot of stuff has been fixed, there are still glaring issues that haven't been fixed after almost three years and hundreds of millions of dollars in sales. The lack of communication didn't help either.

Before I upset people with the below, I will repeat an earlier comment I made; I disagree with OP. The game doesn't suck, but it's not good either. It is painfully vacant and has no charm to it. It just feels like a battle simulator with some slight management mechanics thrown in.

This whole thread is a prime example of how you don't try to reach out to creators.

They (TW) did make the game THEY did want to make. Yes, it might not match your vision of how the game should be. But they didn't make the game special for you. They made it for all those people out there that like it, play it, and have a good time with it. So much salty people that feel they are entitled to have it "their way" because they invested so many hours in warband, having lots of fun with all the mods for it and so forth. But Bannerlord isn't that game, it's a new game. Doesn't matter how much some of you tell how the game sucks, and how terrible the creators is. People have fun with the game, and numbers from steamdb back that up. A vocal minority shouting loud is still that, a minority. Maybe you should form a support group to deal with the pain and sorrow? idk.

I'm not saying the game is perfect in every way or couldn't need some more meat on the bones. That is what you have mods and conversions for right? Just as you had for warband. Don't tell me you played that game only vanilla.

Except we also have users who have been "kind" in the ways they give criticisms, and it is ignored. So there goes that, huh?

And yes. They made the game they wanted, not what they promised and told their customers it would be. Do not try and pretend you don't get that. And how do you know those playing don't have the same problems we do? I have six people on my friends list who have enormously mean things to say about the game, but still play. You're failing to grasp that people playing it, doesn't mean there's not a big problem.

We shouldn't have to have mods to make it good. The fact that you can't understand that, speaks volumes.

To be fair he's not wrong. TW does listen to feedback. They just don't listen to every single one. True, part of it is because of Le Vision, but part of it is simply because they lack the ability. I don't think they deserve this level of hatred.

Yea, they listen to like that one little post out of ten thousands with the small feature/fix they can half-ass implement into the game, sure, but they certainly do not listen enough to justify someone on the forums saying they "listen to feedback". They don't even give a rat's ass about that one player who has spent thousands of hours collecting data for them, do people really think they go through this forum with any good intention of listening to anyone that doesn't require maybe a week of work to "fix"?

After seeing how much they don't since 2019, it boggles my mind that people can still peddle this fiction to others. Listening to one post out of tens of thousands and even doing that wrong, is no indication of actually paying attention to and appreciating feedback.

You probably werent here for the 2019-2020 beta, which is where a lot of this anger comes from. They created a subforum for suggestions, but then actively shut down most criticism of the mechanics that everyone said were bad, like the stances and the class system. This went on for about a year, people were telling them that MP would fail and lose its playerbase if they insisted in keeping these mechanics, so when the game released in early access and MP died almost straight away, all these people were furious.

It took a very long time for this all to build up by the way. Same with singleplayer, most people were annoyed by the poor release and all the bugs, but they expected them to be patched. And while a lot of stuff has been fixed, there are still glaring issues that haven't been fixed after almost three years and hundreds of millions of dollars in sales. The lack of communication didn't help either.

Honestly, when I play MP now, it doesn't feel all that different from the beta I was part of. And that's truly sad...and funny. And remembering how much they disregarded people...oh boy.

Last edited:
Bannerlord is just a skeleton for modding. TW knew that ... and have exploited it to the fullest extent that they possibly could.
Remember when Callum did the Thing™ and came out saying the silent part out loud? How M&B is just field battles with some other elements sprinkled on it?

And how quickly TW back-pedaled on that, doing damage control with "that's just his personal opinion" when we got, justifiably, pissy about it? Funny how that turned out in the end, eh?

I wouldn't go as far as to say that they lied, but they certainly have been intentionally deceitful at multiple occasions. The one thing Taleworlds is really good at is toeing the line between misrepresentation, intentional overhype, and genuinely actionable false advertisement.

Though I'll never forgive them for the "community involvement" and "direct communication on Steam forum" BS they pulled with the paid beta they turned the Early Access into. Those were outright lies, as far as I'm concerned.

I wonder how much of the hostility coming from some of the game's most devoted fans could have been avoided if Armagan had ever once decided to engage a little bit with the fans instead of hiding away in his bunker. I can't think of a single time during this whole development process that he's ever spoken directly to the fans. The closest thing to it is his stage-managed Gamescom appearances where he's oh so very careful not to say a single thing that might possibly get misconstrued. I would like to hear directly from Armagan what HIS vision of the game really is. Why is the game designed the way it is? Where does he see it going in the future? Who knows? Maybe we're all playing it the wrong way and its really a masterpiece in disguise.

Honestly, when I play MP now, it doesn't feel all that different from the beta I was part of. And that's truly sad...and funny. And remembering how much they disregarded people...oh boy.
You didn't played throwing, because it feels a lot different than it was in beta. I know because i used throwing axes a lot and they were awesome. Not so much now. Also TDM feel less cavalry fiesta than it was. It was awful ffs.

You didn't played throwing, because it feels a lot different than it was in beta. I know because i used throwing axes a lot and they were awesome. Not so much now. Also TDM feel less cavalry fiesta than it was. It was awful ffs.

I meant like the barebones of it. It hasn't really changed much since then. Like lipstick was attempted to be put on, but that's about it. I remember the rough phase of in and out of "are spears decent?" and "are archers still overpowered" etc. Like balance changed a lot, but the basics of it never did.

I totally missed that one, but you can see the tenor of that conversation change after Armagan's reply with players being a lot more understanding of the challenges in designing the systems. Its too bad he didn't do more of that all along
Maybe, but understanding why his vision for MP is valid and different from that of veteran players hasn't converted many of them as far as I can see. Please bear in mind that I've never tried MP and doubt that I ever will.

I feel like some football coach who coached this world star talent 10 years ago, who was doing things no one else could, as a reward he was given a huge contract, much better facilities and a whole paid for support team around him. He goes away 10 years on this exclusive isolated training complex on the other side of the planet, and he doesn't really return your calls or messages nor give any updates. But he's probably just extremely busy training, and the occassionally few times he does give an update it sounds extremely promising so things must be going great!

And then the day came, he finally returns and while you're of course at a completely different stage in your life now - This is something you've been looking forward to for those 10 years.
The player comes in, and at a first glance, he looks in great shape - But it's like everything else is lacking, but you dust it off as he probably just needs to get settled in. However, it very quickly becomes apparent that the player has no ambition, goes out partying instead of training, cutting every single corner he can - Even some of the stuff he could do 10 years ago he appear unable to do now, and when you bring it up why he doesn't try to do that, he just shuts you down and refuses to take any sort of advise.

But hey, everyone can have a downturn period, and he's going to play the World Cup in 2 years so surely he will work hard towards that, and while for some periods you start to get a glimpse of hope with him playing decently you're let down right after with him not even showing up to training and just outright ignoring any sort of feedback you're providing for him to improve.

Eventually, the world cup is closing by and he says he's working extra hard so you naively get your hopes up once more, he does end up playing "okay" at it and some people think he's a decent player, but it's clear he will never be the world class player which he was destined to be.

So no the game doesn't suck, but it should've been so much better than what we got but in the end got sabotaged by TW's own lack of ambition and passion.

This whole thread is a prime example of how you don't try to reach out to creators.
that actually doesn't make any effing difference... All forms of attempt to reach to the devs were made - all of them were met with bláze earning at best some comment about "we're gonna try to bring that up" followed by "it was deemed too complex™"

They'll continue to be lazy as long as the consooomers are fine with it, and they sure thing are. the game has what, 200k reviews on steam? That must mean that it had solved at least a few millions copies. And what about those reviews? It's sitting at what, 88% approved on steam? come on

I'm thinking that M&B is an A grade concept attempted by a B grade outfit.

It needs A grade modders to truly blossom.

( Where are the Dr Thomas's of yesteryear ? )

I feel like some football coach who coached this world star talent 10 years ago, who was doing things no one else could, as a reward he was given a huge contract, much better facilities and a whole paid for support team around him. He goes away 10 years on this exclusive isolated training complex on the other side of the planet, and he doesn't really return your calls or messages nor give any updates. But he's probably just extremely busy training, and the occassionally few times he does give an update it sounds extremely promising so things must be going great!

And then the day came, he finally returns and while you're of course at a completely different stage in your life now - This is something you've been looking forward to for those 10 years.
The player comes in, and at a first glance, he looks in great shape - But it's like everything else is lacking, but you dust it off as he probably just needs to get settled in. However, it very quickly becomes apparent that the player has no ambition, goes out partying instead of training, cutting every single corner he can - Even some of the stuff he could do 10 years ago he appear unable to do now, and when you bring it up why he doesn't try to do that, he just shuts you down and refuses to take any sort of advise.

But hey, everyone can have a downturn period, and he's going to play the World Cup in 2 years so surely he will work hard towards that, and while for some periods you start to get a glimpse of hope with him playing decently you're let down right after with him not even showing up to training and just outright ignoring any sort of feedback you're providing for him to improve.

Eventually, the world cup is closing by and he says he's working extra hard so you naively get your hopes up once more, he does end up playing "okay" at it and some people think he's a decent player, but it's clear he will never be the world class player which he was destined to be.

So no the game doesn't suck, but it should've been so much better than what we got but in the end got sabotaged by TW's own lack of ambition and passion.

So what I took away from this: Soccer, ultimately...dissapoints

do people really think they go through this forum with any good intention of listening to anyone that doesn't require maybe a week of work to "fix"?
Many threads in that subforum indicate that it takes them weeks or months, even over a year in some cases, to implement changes. This is what I meant by skill issue on their part. They're clearly overwhelmed by this development and couldn't handle it properly. That's why they can't respond to every single feedback, especially the big ones. Making a bad response can lead to disaster as seen on early EA.

Your argument that they don't listen enough does carry some weight, but when the number of suggestions is so disproportionately high like this, it's unfair to use that argument to say that they don't listen, because they actually do. This situation sucks, yes, but get over it already.

I have been seeing Bannerlord getting a lot of hate since EA release that really feels like the product of unchecked inflation of expectations on the playerbase's part, particularly for the singleplayer game. Undercooked, shallow features like duelling nobles and town ambushes not making it into Bannerlord gets thrown around to make a point that Bannerlord is even more shallow content-wise than WB with such frequency that I wonder if those types of people ever played Warband at all. The attempt at implementing a "story" being an awkward, chuckleworthy exception aside Bannerlord vanilla singleplayer feels like a significant improvement over what WB vanilla seemed to set out to want to do: make a neat little sandbox game where you make your ye-olde virtual armymen murder eachother in hordes. Unfortunately that formula didn't make for a very compelling gameplay loop past the novelty back then and isn't going to become very engaging overnight. Frankly, I think anyone expecting Bannerlord vanilla SP to use esoteric Ottoman black magic in order to change that fact is a big silly willy of a gamer getting too eager to do the dance of breathing really hard and typing really fast on internet forums. I can't really see M&B existing as a series that doesn't lean heavily on mods to keep it alive.

Multiplayer, on the other hand, is an absolute joke that is nearly enough to shake my faith in Taleworld's integrity as a developer. Frustrating server crashes for TWO YEARS STRAIGHT left unmitigated? What disaster!

Last edited:
They're clearly overwhelmed by this development and couldn't handle it properly. That's why they can't respond to every single feedback, especially the big ones. Making a bad response can lead to disaster as seen on early EA.
Are you working at TW or something? You are speaking like you know how TW works but in reality you do not know.

There were rumors that the people working on BL is low and considering their pace of work, it is high probability that this is true.
when the number of suggestions is so disproportionately high like this
That "the number of suggestions is so disproportionately high like this" can boil down to late game sucks and no rpg elements.

Are you working at TW or something? You are speaking like you know how TW works but in reality you do not know.
I never claimed to be. I clearly said that I drew those conclusions from observing the support subforums and patch threads. It's the same method people use to form their opinions that TW is greedy, incompetent, and never listens to feedback. Observation.

That "the number of suggestions is so disproportionately high like this" can boil down to late game sucks and no rpg elements.
If you want to summarize it, yes, but such generalized statements are not helpful.

Back
Top Bottom