Open Game will not start, but says it is running, when I try to end the task "mb_warband.exe" running in the background, I get error message [Details in po

Users who are viewing this thread

Hello all, I recently redownloaded Mount and Blade: Warband, and long story short, the game is not launching correctly but it is also not able to be stopped once I hit "play", even in the task manager. Details below:

Once it downloaded from steam, I went to add some classic mods from the steam workshop (Diplomacy, Floris, etc, all super popular and well known). Then I tried to start the game, and it crashed on the loading screen. I figured there was a mod conflict, so I went to the workshop, unsubscribed from the mods, and then deleted the mod folders and tried to restart the game. However, after I clicked the "Play" button in steam, the launcher never came up. The steam page showed M&B in green, and said running next to it, and the game page had the blue "stop" button, but no game was running.

I tried to press stop, and that didn't do anything. So then I went to the task manager, but the task manager did not show that there was any M&B game running, just steam, chrome, and other basic things like Spotify and discord. So I just decided to close steam and try again. So I hit "end task" for steam, and then re-launched steam, and it now showed up with every game displayed in white, nothing running. But when I tried to launch M&M again, the exact same thing happened as before, no game came up but it said it was running.

Next I tried just restarting my PC. That did not fix anything, so I did a full on shut down, and disabled the power supply to the PC to ensure it was completely off. Then I booted back up, tried to relaunch, and the same thing happened.

Next I tried to uninstall the game using the steam "uninstall" option on the dropdown when you right click a game, waited through that, then reinstalled it, again through steam, but same issues as before. I tried verifying the game files, and received no issues there, but the problem persisted.

Then I saw some threads about issues like this that talk about going to the task manager "details" tab and ending a process there, and I did see there was five different "mb_warband.exe" running there, one with 37k memory use, the other four with around 5.3-5.1k memory. When I tried ending that task, one of two thjings would happen:

Nothing would occur A pop-up would come on the screen that said "unable to terminate process" at the top, "The operation could not be completed" in the middle in blue, and below that "Access is denied". I saw on a thread about similar issues with another game that they used a program called "Process Hacker" to override any restrictions when it came to ending tasks, so I downloaded that and tried it, but when I tried to choose "Terminate" on that program, I got a pop-up saying "Unable to terminate mb_warband.exe (PID 9416): An attempt was made to access an exiting process".

So that leads me to now. Other things I have seen work for other people with similar threads have not wiorked for me, and I have tried to do a hard reboot multiple times throughout this process. This is obviously a huge post, so massive thanks to anyone who read all this, and if anyone has any idea about how to fix that, I would be eternally grateful!

TL;DR: Mount and Blade Warband won't start, and when I try to terminate the mb_warband.exe that is running in the background on my PC I get an error message saying I can't.

Asking perhaps an obvious question: Did you try to restart your computer/laptop by shutting it down completely and restarting it after ten seconds? All processes are getting terminated automatically then and you can try to deinstall and make a clean installation again (afterwards restart again. First check that it works without any mods.

Asking perhaps an obvious question: Did you try to restart your computer/laptop by shutting it down completely and restarting it after ten seconds? All processes are getting terminated automatically then and you can try to deinstall and make a clean installation again (afterwards restart again. First check that it works without any mods.
Yep, I have shut it down multiple times, even as far as switching off the power switch on the back of my power supply and unplugging the cord from the wall. Doesn't do anything, and the "mb_warband.exe" starts running as soon as my PC boots up.

Back
Top Bottom