Even battles are not ready for release

Users who are viewing this thread

Cultural stuff is not at all irrelevant in modern times. To a certain degree is is much more prevalent than in medieval or early modern times. Especially nationalistic feelings were not that present in the medieval times. There was of course the faith to divide the people and make them cruel and dump fanatics.

What you wrote about the fate of heretics is however more a development of the high and late medieval period. The retribution became stronger after the "crusades" against the cathars, and new logic systems (partly connected to the thoughts of Thomas of Aquin) and the struggle between state and church influenced it. There are very seldomly reports about prosecution of witches before the 12th c. AD, for example, as the connection between magic (the early church denied the existence of magic) and the devil was a later invention. The Spanish Inquisition f.e. came into full existence only in the late 15th c. AD. It's interesting that it did not care much about witches (the focus of many othe inquisitions) but prosecuted more heretical people (or what they took for), homosexuals and moriscos.

We don't know about anything similar in Calradia, and it seems that such cultural differences don't play a role for mercenaries at least (or better: for nobody in daily military life). I think not-so-mixed armies are just more interesting from a gameplay perspective, lore or not.
IMO culture clashes would make sense if there were more fundamental differences shown in-game but in Bannerlord every culture is essentially classical-era Macedon with a different set of medieval weapons and aesthetics. There are many cultural sticking points besides religion, such as language (duh), views on revenge/forgiveness, preferred methods of land-use (i.e. Farmers vs herders), clannishness vs. attempts at meritocracy &c.

Though my main source for how culture clashes work describes the 17th century and later so I'm not sure how much of it can be applied to the high middle ages.

Last edited:
Formations themselves can be modded, it's more the low level stuff that isn't. I'd have to hunt down the blog post, but basically from highest layer to lowest, the combat AI goes: Tactical, Formation, Individual. The Tactical and Formation layers are possible to mod, some parts of the Individual layer are, but other parts aren't.

Edit: Tracked down the blog post. https://www.taleworlds.com/en/Games/Bannerlord/Blog/83

Thank you, that is good stuff to read in the blog post, sounds wonderful. And I wonder when they decided (had to decide?) to totally go without the mentioned "AI" and make it the stupid Warband kind of way? Maybe it's too complicated otherwise.

For me that means to make the game setting fit to the battle possibilities, so fantasy is possible or a kind of primitive Bronze Age blob warfare, with toned down units.

Just want to say thanks to devs for making the cavalry AI better in 1.8.1. Cavalry AI is still meh, but it is probably the best cav AI I have seen in Bannerlord since the game release.

Cavalry units are now strong now because cavalry units have great stats, horses are pretty hard to kill, and cavalry AI does not su**s anymore.

Would be awesome if OP Fians and Khan's Guard would get nerfed before the release too:

Just want to say thanks to devs for making the cavalry AI better in 1.8.1. Cavalry AI is still meh, but it is probably the best cav AI I have seen in Bannerlord since the game release.

Cavalry units are now strong now because cavalry units have great stats, horses are pretty hard to kill, and cavalry AI does not su**s anymore.

Would be awesome if OP Fians and Khan's Guard would get nerfed before the release too:

I heartily agree with you!

Increase the protection of armour against arrows/bolts by 1.7x, and Fians will be balanced.

Nerf the swing speed of the Glaive, and Khan's Guard will be balanced.

Nerf the swing speed of the Glaive, and Khan's Guard will be balanced.
I'd much rather they nerf the damage than the swing speed. They could cut swinging polearms down to 70-80 damage and they'd still be ferocious weapons. But some of the really powerful polearms that have swing speeds in the 50s or 60s just suck to use.

I'd much rather they nerf the damage than the swing speed. They could cut swinging polearms down to 70-80 damage and they'd still be ferocious weapons. But some of the really powerful polearms that have swing speeds in the 50s or 60s just suck to use.
it's also incredibly bizarre to watch slow weapons in use because it's beyond any acceptable "unrealism" to even look at without going insane...
Nerfing dmg is okay, but the way polearm dmg is calculated in the base-game that won't make much of a difference, I mean, changing 3 dmg to 2 dmg or 1 dmg doesn't change much in the overall scheme. With RBM it's possible because raptor seems to have fixed the polearm dmg numbers to work closer to what other weapons use for slashing. Or I am totally wrong and the dmg values shown in vanilla are simply glitched for polearms... Regardless, nerfing the dmg might be tricky - another path would be nerf their skill lvl on these weapons while keeping/buffing the speed slightly.

The heads/blades of weapons have multipliers for the swingdamage and the thrust damage, so it would be possible to lower them without changing the dynamics of them. I forgot what RBM did to change how quickly weapons swing/thrust though. Maybe it was just lowering the weight of the parts?

Back
Top Bottom