Variety Project

Users who are viewing this thread

Vlandian lower level infantry
Vla-Low-Inf.jpg

More armor variety, 3 sets of each unit (weapon, helmet diversity)

I would upload it, it's nice and variety is always a good thing. I use a mod for different troop trees (way less armored) and recruitment, so I could not use your mod, but I do always the same to my troops what you did. I like the idea.

BTW what research told you that Normans at 1100 used so many closed helmets, some even looking like great helmets? In my opinion about a 100 years too early. Rigid face covering visors became more common (but far from being used by most) during the second helf of the 12th c. AD and predesessors may have been there in the 11th century, but not great helmets.

@geala - it's a great question, and one I can't really answer convincingly. Mainly I used armor from the mod 'Swadian Armory" and changed the stats to match the existing (ugly upside down toilet bucket) armor that exists in the game.
So, while the model may be from somewhere 1100 - 1300 (1st noble crusade), the stats are similar/a\same to Blander-lord

I think many prefer the style of the later armor, and regret the earlier date of BL compared to WB, so giving them these helmets might be well received. I'm the other way round, I don't like at all late high medieval of late medieval armor on the units, but I'm rather the exception than the rule, I think.

I don't like anachronism in this game. There is no proper norman helmet in the game with mail neck guard attached to your helmet that served as neck and shoulder protection layer. Only Sturgia has this kind of helmet. "Pauldrons" as presented in game are more fantasy then real. Shoulder armor is for later centuries when larger plates of steel has been introduced to general use and mail became kind of secondary layer.
And those "great helmets" are nono for me.
...and javelins. JAVELINS EVERYWHERE! Pushed down our throats by devs at every occasion. In 11th century an obsolete way of fighting besides few cultures. And those ridiculous javelin holsters. My eyes are bleeding. A soldier equipped with javelins would hold one in his fighting hand and another one max two in his left hand. If equipped with small shield, it would usually hang on his belt or over shoulder when throwing. After depleting his javelin, he would get his secondary weapon and shield to enter melee if necessary.

Last edited:
Nay to the great helms. Absolutely nay.

My own Vlandians are more based on late 12th century vibes, partly because it seems less plain, but mostly because it balanced better against other factions. For instance, my King Derthert, from a poll I made.

humble_derthert_3.jpg

Seeing as TW ain't doing the Hastings styled Normans, I decided to just go for the vibe of 'proto Swadian' instead.

Nay to the great helms. Absolutely nay.

My own Vlandians are more based on late 12th century vibes, partly because it seems less plain, but mostly because it balanced better against other factions. For instance, my King Derthert, from a poll I made.

humble_derthert_3.jpg

Seeing as TW ain't doing the Hastings styled Normans, I decided to just go for the vibe of 'proto Swadian' instead.
You've done some interesting things with armour mashups. Made it yourself, or downloaded? I see many things are from Swadian Armoury, but the hauberk in 1A, the mashup in 3C I have not seen before

5b6b11a0e2d49d7d637a11fffc2884a79d98b400.jpeg

This is from Age of Empires discussion forum. Given that Bannerlord's period is set somewhere between 1084 - whenever you stop (could be 1200 I suppose), there is case for great helmets. My main motivation was that there are already helmets like this in the game, they are just not aesthetically appealing to me

Aserai top Infantry tiers
Aser-Top-Inf.jpg

Used the new Aserai armour items, attempted to create clear style difference between Infantry (field troops), and Mamluke (city and palace troops)

Darshi overhaul
Darshi.jpg

I think the Darshi are very hard done by the devs. I mean, really, who rides to battle in silk pyjamas?
This leaves them stylish, but with more realistic chance to survive their first encounter.
I also changed the Ghilman to use camels, which seem more in line with their progression, and changed the Ghulam to a war camel. If they can afford that armor, they can afford a proper war camel (I should say that I added an armored camel saddle in my game for the sake of animal safety...lol)

You've done some interesting things with armour mashups. Made it yourself, or downloaded? I see many things are from Swadian Armoury, but the hauberk in 1A, the mashup in 3C I have not seen before
Open Source Armoury. All sorts of stuff in it.

5b6b11a0e2d49d7d637a11fffc2884a79d98b400.jpeg

This is from Age of Empires discussion forum. Given that Bannerlord's period is set somewhere between 1084 - whenever you stop (could be 1200 I suppose), there is case for great helmets. My main motivation was that there are already helmets like this in the game, they are just not aesthetically appealing to me
Well between 1100 and 1250 there is quite a bit of stuff going on... and I can't help but think this thing doesn't look all that right either.

The stuff I have is more based on the work you would see in the upcoming In the Name of Jerusalem 2 mod, and also INJ1 from Warband. You look into those and you'll note the absence of greathelms. Its mostly nasals and proto visored helmets like the one I used.

Also you're handing out a lot of chainmail to the Aserai in tiers that probably don't fit well. That's going to give them an undue advantage.

... a lot of chainmail to the Aserai in tiers that probably don't fit well. That's going to give them an undue advantage.
I probably buffed all factions equally. Vlandians, Aserai, Empire, Sturgians, Khuzaits, Battanians and some of the minor factions.

With the Aserai I basically just swapped out the (incorrect) use of cavalry armour on infantry troops

I have not noticed any difference in battle outcomes in my game where I use all of the modules, so I think they cancel each other out.

I probably buffed all factions equally. Vlandians, Aserai, Empire, Sturgians, Khuzaits, Battanians and some of the minor factions.

With the Aserai I basically just swapped out the (incorrect) use of cavalry armour on infantry troops

I have not noticed any difference in battle outcomes in my game where I use all of the modules, so I think they cancel each other out.
Eh, I don't think its at all good idea to give t3 level troops any sort of chainmail. For them, they should be limited to things like a helmet and gambeson.

Also I don't think 'cavalry' armour or any of that really matters as much as you'd think. Its just a name.

Eh, I don't think its at all good idea to give t3 level troops any sort of chainmail. For them, they should be limited to things like a helmet and gambeson.

Also I don't think 'cavalry' armour or any of that really matters as much as you'd think. Its just a name.
Well, I respectfully disagree. For every faction there is a logical progression for almost every armor piece (e.g. leather shoulder piece > chainmail > scale). Seems strange to not use these. I guess if you like flimsy armor protection, or fragile troops, that 'could' be interpreted as 'realistic', but no dramas. This is just my project for my pleasure.

Mail should be reserved for high tier professionals/nobles. Starting with T4 maybe but with the cheapest one. T1-T4 gambesons or leather stuff , shield and helmet. Cavalry armor should be smtg only for creme de la creme. In vanilla it is overrepresented. As for me, I would give it only to elite cataphracts of empire.

Back
Top Bottom