What does clan system serve in gameplay?

Users who are viewing this thread

On the player side of things, being a clan is good. You can form big army with them, you can form caravan with your clan member, you can send them do quest etc. These are good things to have and I appreciate it.

But on the side of npcs, what being a clan does in the gameplay other than making Calradia more crowded? Npc Clan members do not have individual opinion, do they? I do not have individual relationship with them. If I have 50 relation with X clan, I have 50 relation with all of the npcs in that clan.

Tell me what is the difference between one WB lord divided into multiple person and BL clan system? Is there any difference in these two other than being mortal and being more crowded?

I am genuinely asking this question btw bc I do not see any difference and that is why clan system in BL for npc-player interactions do not offer any gameplay significance imo.

The difference is in the details. A Bannerlord clan can do more than a Warband family. Have more parties on the map, govern settlements, offer more life for the player's ability to cull them. They can develop and expand, become powerful. In Warband everything was just static. In Bannerlord the clan system makes the game more dynamic.

Bannerlord clans are superior to Warband families.

I think that clan system is a good feature in Bannerlord. It just deserves to be fleshed out.

The issue you point out with relation has nothing to do with clan system, in my opinion. I don't really understand the relation system or at least, sometimes I don't know what it stands for. When you want to vassalize a lord, I have the feeling that relation does not really help and other than that, relation is just a number beside a protrait.

Pretty much just that they can immediately field a second set of parties when the first set is defeated. Warband lord's had families too, the male lords (fathers, brothers, sons)were just considered a separate entity and had different personalities, but they would get happy if you supported their family or mad if you supported their rival and it actually mattered in warband. It's just another "neat" idea that was added in barebones and then not supported or developed at all. Just like Armies, "oh we want BIG BIG battles", neat, can you control the armies and send them on missions? No, can the game load all the units? No, are the maps big enough to fit 1k units well? No, is their over head UI to see and control all the units? NO..... okay then wtf is the point of having armies in the game? Children oh neat, can they do anything? No, and so on.
🤡 💊 🤡 💊 🤡 💊 🤡 💊 🤡 💊 🤡 💊 🤡 💊 🤡 💊
🤡💊 Bannerlord clans are superior to Warband families💊🤡
🤡💊🤡💊🤡💊🤡💊🤡💊🤡💊🤡💊🤡💊🤡💊🤡
^off to clown town you go!

I think clans in principle are good but they, as you all said, need work. For example, each lord should have a separate relations value with you. This way if you coax someone into defecting, they should form their own clan with their own randomised coat of arms, like companion clans

i'm starting to think that they did it just to simplify having to keep track of which lord is related to which and building relations.
separating relations and having the player start out as a lord able to join a clan (not as a clan head) or form his own clan would add another layer of gameplay.
but alas, it would be too complicated for the players not able to realize that having more troops on the screen would mean worse performance.
so i think of it as a great base for modding.

The clan system is an awesome improvement and provides so much more space for roleplaying and interesting dynamics.

Of course like all things, even in vanilla warband, Taleworlds has provided the baseline and im sure mods will take care of the rest.

Can you imagine POP Bannerlord, where each clan has its own knighthood order? Fantastic.

And no, I don't think "it will be improved with mods" is ever a bad thing. Thats how Warband worked, and thats how other long-lived and richly modded games like Morrowind and Skyrim have survived so long.

Like so many other features in the game, clans have a lot of potential if fleshed out, but in their current barebones form, they barely justify the coding time that went into them.

I relationships had a bigger impact and the player or maybe the clan had a fame rating things could get interesting. At the moment a clan is extra lives . Battles and trade needs a little work the rest need loads of work.

Yeah, maybe mods can turn this into something great. But right now, like lukethisub said, it is wide as an ocean, deep as a puddle. I was expecting something more. Like approaching other clan members to change the opinion of clan leader or mean of individual relationship with the clan members decide what our relationship with the clan itself(this does not have to mean of the value, it could be something different) or marrying a clan member without the consent of the clan leader could turn into internal war or a clan member getting denounced and his titles is taken away bc of his relationship with us etc. There was so many things TW did something unique with this but no in my eyes, they are one WB lords divided into multiple person right now.

Yeah, maybe mods can turn this into something great. But right now, like lukethisub said, it is wide as an ocean, deep as a puddle. I was expecting something more. Like approaching other clan members to change the opinion of clan leader or mean of individual relationship with the clan members decide what our relationship with the clan itself(this does not have to mean of the value, it could be something different) or marrying a clan member without the consent of the clan leader could turn into internal war or a clan member getting denounced and his titles is taken away bc of his relationship with us etc. There was so many things TW did something unique with this but no in my eyes, they are one WB lords divided into multiple person right now.
May be titles should be added it makes sense. No one as a title just lord or lady. I had the mod noble Titles and i was a Count and all the other clan heads had titles and they was kingdom/culture based.

May be titles should be added it makes sense. No one as a title just lord or lady. I had the mod noble Titles and i was a Count and all the other clan heads had titles and they was kingdom/culture based.
Yeah, at least just "lord" and "lady". Also, please Kingdom of Vlandia instead of just Vlandia etc. Current system makes encounters so bland and boring. Also makes notifications really confusing and uniformative

What is more informative?

"Phadon has died in battle"

Or

"Lord Phadon of the Western Empire has died in battle"

Tell me what is the difference between one WB lord divided into multiple person and BL clan system? Is there any difference in these two other than being mortal and being more crowded?
There are a lot more nobles available without forcing the player to remember all five dozen in his faction and ****.

Yeah, at least just "lord" and "lady". Also, please Kingdom of Vlandia instead of just Vlandia etc. Current system makes encounters so bland and boring. Also makes notifications really confusing and uniformative

What is more informative?

"Phadon has died in battle"

Or

"Lord Phadon of the Western Empire has died in battle"
I think clans in principle are good but they, as you all said, need work. For example, each lord should have a separate relations value with you. This way if you coax someone into defecting, they should form their own clan with their own randomised coat of arms, like companion clans

I absolutely agree and do not understand why this is not a base game feature.

First, the titles. They're dynamic, informative and immersive. When I create my character I just add a title myself. I'll address them by their proper function but so should they. I don't think this would be incredible difficult to add as well. It doesn't mess up the balance or other systems and there are plenty of mods readily available to do it.

And the clan relations value is also a question mark for me. I understand that there are a lot of lords in the game and having to build up relations with each and every one of them would be tiresome. But do you need to?

If the titles are shown you can easily distinguish someone as a clan or kingdom leader and thus make the decision to woo this foe. That way you don't have to release every single lord you conquer because you might want to recruit them into your kingdom later.
But just persuade the clan leader to join your faction. He is the decisionmaker after all.

On the player side of things, being a clan is good. You can form big army with them, you can form caravan with your clan member, you can send them do quest etc. These are good things to have and I appreciate it.

But on the side of npcs, what being a clan does in the gameplay other than making Calradia more crowded? Npc Clan members do not have individual opinion, do they? I do not have individual relationship with them. If I have 50 relation with X clan, I have 50 relation with all of the npcs in that clan.

I am genuinely asking this question btw bc I do not see any difference and that is why clan system in BL for npc-player interactions do not offer any gameplay significance imo.
better more reliable companions -> if the game had enough length to it's, idk, main quest, than heirs could play a key role in the entire thing.

As for now, it's just circumventing the biased RNGed Wanderers with better unlimited companion source. Problem is that you'll never expand at the same ratio as you can introduce new clan members (it's abslotely not feasible), so they become gimmicky utilities that you only get if you go for campaign mode, or as a delayed (and arguably useless) option that will serve absolutely no purpose because by that pt the map has already been painted for like 10 in-game years at minimum.

the only other usefulness they could fulfill is if we had any late-game continuity like new lands to conquer/explore - if there were civil wars - or any other shenanigan that made you "reset" into mid-game stage.

The only other appliance I can see would be for already existing WARBAND mods that added massive campaign maps which allowed for entire regions to have focused locational beefs where those wouldn't even interact with each-other outside events or after someone expanded too much (close to the region, of course) - IE: 1257ad / A Clash of Kings / World of Ice and Fire

Than mods like PoP and Perisno would still incurr the classic clusterfk FFA from base M&B, but at least they added late-game loops, which would still make heirs useful considering the sheer amount of time required to achieve certain goals in those late-game loops/mods in general.

Minor mods, like Floris, wouldn't benefit from it neither though.

Last edited:
I guess "better" companions? Nothing else really, at least nothing else worth mentioning because it's implemented like ****.

"Wide as an ocean, deep as a puddle" - A Taleworlds Proverb

200.gif

Like most have said, adding clans was a good move, but we just have a few features that make it very underwhelming and it's a missed opportunity to add more strategy to the game.
For instance, I like the tiered system. It's a fairly good way to give the player some sense of progress and kind of shows where you stand at in Calradia; you have a limit to the companions,enterprises, etc so that things happen more organically.

But at the same time...the game doesn't restrict the player. You can just speak to everyone and marry anyone. I expected to marry into a clan that would match my tier, give or take one tier level depending on your charm, if you will.

Also, the clans offer the same type of quests/rewards, and regardless of your tier for most of the time. I am aware the lords/notables don't offer you the quest if you don't meet the requisites, and that's what baffles me - it should be like that until we work our way to the clan 6, gradually having different (and better) quests until you get there.

Lastly, the clans should overlap kingdoms, making it possible to allow your clan to prevent a war between two kingdoms because you serve both; And the members of a clan should obviously act by themselves, having Individual opinions and leaving the clan if they are at odds with the clan leader.
Unfortunately that's where CK meets M&B, and it's not going to happen.

Back
Top Bottom