*Eight simple ways to improve Banner lord multiplayer and a poll to see the priority.

Which of these issues do you agree should be fixed.

• 1. Cavalry bumping specifically lances at point blank range.

Votes: 14 20.3%
  • 2. Allow crouching during combat

Votes: 17 24.6%
  • 3. Extending shields invisibly to offset where they can't be moved to block.

Votes: 7 10.1%
  • 4. Removing left and right blocks from round shields, or moving them closer to the center

Votes: 8 11.6%
  • 5. Slow down crushed through classes so regular infantry is faster or remove this mechanic

Votes: 7 10.1%
  • 6. Two handed hammers do a weirdly high amount of damage to horses and should be fixed

Votes: 9 13.0%
  • 7. Remove the stun from over 10 damage so that 2v1's are actually possible again

Votes: 12 17.4%
  • 8. The crashing servers (I believe this is the most important)

Votes: 58 84.1%
  • none of the above

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • 9. Chambering

Votes: 2 2.9%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Fyren338

Regular
PSA You can vote more than once I think voting for all of them is based.
In response to some of the replies I agree that the crashing servers is a higher priority and have added that to the vote.

I also wrote a thesis in another recent thread I created explaining all of this which was derailed very quickly probably fairly based on the lack of a direction and general whininess of the post. So here's my very basic coverage of why I've listed these issues.

1: So when you are on foot with a spear you can't stab someone directly because it doesn't make logical sense of how you could move the spear in that fashion right, but somehow on cavalry this is disregarded with a longer slower and more absurd weapon -the lance-. Alternatively I really want people to consider changing this to be sidearms and single handed fast attack weapons only. At the very least with this very powerful ability to drop someone's block and attack for free without them being able to respond, make them bloody switch weapons. It's already so powerful but they could actually earn it! The problem is they don't have to bump lance to be effective, but they can -always- bump lance if they want to. It doesn't need to be a choice it's a tool at all times. Usually they just stab backs but if the infantry are looking at you without a spear you can force them to die without being able to respond at all! You just do one or two damage from your horse as low or high a speed as you want and you instantly get a free hit, over and over again. Also sidearms get no love from cavalry at all these are fun and engaging weapons to play this class with but they hold no value compared to the highly superior and tactically more useful lance which solves every situation without any alternative being any merit at all.

2: There's no good reason this isn't allowed. If I notice someone always swings for my head why can't I move my head lower? You give attackers crushed through, curved swords, and stun locks. Yet to defend myself, I can't even duck from arrows if I've swung my sword in the last 5 seconds. This is such a strange handicap that serves what end?

3: Look archers can shoot around your shield, skilled archers don't even see shields bro your just meat to them. You can't move your shield in certain parts of your body, and some people wont miss that target. This is pretty easy to fix, make it so shields aren't useless anymore. They should cover your front and when you move them low you should be able to defend your feet. If you slightly extend their range so shields can protect the parts of yourself you can't reach you can offset the buff by lowering their health. Shields used properly IE matching attack direction, already last a surprisingly large amount of time. You can get like 10 + blocks on an axe easily currently with some of the better shields and good angles/matching directions.

4: This one is pretty hardcore man but I think moving your shield off to the side of your body like your leading a bull as a matador is pretty useless and very annoying to die to whenever you use the absolutely useless round shields.

5: People are tired of chasing naked people with two handed hammers all day. They out range you so you run up take a free hit and run up and take a free hit and run up and take a free hit. This is annoying, easy to fix.

6: So the naked two handed hammer people also have this weird ability to one shot horses at any speed with even poorly connected swings. I'm actually under the impression this is just a bug and needs to be corrected.

7: (edit): After some conversations regarding this I realized this has been reasonably misinterpreted as allowing attacks, like if two players swing at the same time they both deal damage is not what I'm talking about. I see now how that was confused I only think that blocking should be allowed not attacking that would completely break the game and isn't what I'm saying. If two enemies are swinging at me and one of them has a short sword and the other has a bardiche I want people to be able to choose to block the bardiche, as the game is now you have to block the first one to hit or take both hits. Why can't people choose to block the more damaging swings? To nerf how good players can be at the game so that it's equalized for players that can't do that yet. Furthermore if the bardiche is first and you do block it, you can no longer block the short sword because the weight of the first swing will prevent you. These minor things are implemented to handicap better players on purpose.
This is the meat and potatoes by the way. This ruins the game in the most awful way imaginable. I can't love this game like I loved warband ever because of this design choice. Hamstringing skilled players to pander to soft hearted quitters is heart breaking. I loved the amazing things people that mastered warband were capable of pulling off -that's- what drew me into the multiplayer. Please stop listening to people pretending to know what new players think or feel. They don't, and they're wrong. People being really good at things is inspiring, not demotivating.

I think these issues are easy to fix and important to the long term multiplayer community.

PS
If you disagree- feel free to respond.
I will jump down your throat like a rapid dog anyone that's seen anything I've ever posted can confirm. Don't be scared, say something smart or be ready for me to bark.

Last edited:
(repost from the old thread) In regards to the shield area being adjusted -
If shields get more protective with a larger area of effect, then adjusting their health may be a good balance. I rarely have to switch shield because almost all shields take a decent pounding from anything except a decent axe. In Warband I used to carry two shields at a time almost always because one, or both or more will break if I survive a TD long enough. Only the very best shields could handle a good beating and a 6-10 killstreak. in blord I've rarely had a shield break.
Making shields more certain in what they do but harder to sustain might be a good balance that also gives some purpose to directional shield blocking (reducing the damage a shield takes? right?) which I currently mostly ignore unless I'm choosing to try hard a bit. 👍

Game has lots of problems about gameplay, but the the problems you mentioned its not really problem and not important compare to fundemental problem of this game I'd say. Your problem is mostly git gud thingy. Also its not damage of make 2v1 impossible; movement speed, shield bash, maybe even chamber.

aGjW0o5_700b.jpg

Where is the voting option " None of the above" ? Tbh none of these problems is really a problem, every single one of them can be avoided by knowing the game, and as some people said "Getting better".

Also i do agree its fairly difficult for a new player to join the game and get good on his own, but it really depends on yourself and if you really want to improve or just say the mechanics are broken and you wont learn.

Some tips to improve:
- Join a clan
- Try training on duel/tdm
- Disable assists for SP aso (Autoblock on singlplayer etc)

None of this matters as long as the servers are unstable.

Last night my battle server had 80 people on it, and then the server randomly crashed. When it came back up, it did not go above 20 players for the rest of the night. And those players didn't go to TDM or Siege, because those were empty. They just closed the game.

Last night my battle server had 80 people on it, and then the server randomly crashed. When it came back up, it did not go above 20 players for the rest of the night. And those players didn't go to TDM or Siege, because those were empty. They just closed the game.
Siege had 84 on at one point last night, sturgia vs vlandia really fun we were really making a comeback

Then it crashed and the players spread out and there was total of around 40 east na players on 3 seperate servers 😑.

I guess hard balance and adjust for multiplayer won't happen till multiplayer gets going :/
There being 4 different modes to queue for and custom servers makes it harder for new players to know where the proper multiplayer scene is. So if there's no matchmaking they just give up on mp? maybe.
I think reducing all those options to just a server list might have increased MP retention.

I don't think OP's points are about getting good, we had that in the old thread already and he said he's talking from a high level play perspective how these mechanics affect multiplayer interactions.
Maybe when MB hit's release there will be more multiplayer going on we can dedicate some MP time and try not to hit the nubs too hard so they come back :grin:

I guess hard balance and adjust for multiplayer won't happen till multiplayer gets going :/
There being 4 different modes to queue for and custom servers makes it harder for new players to know where the proper multiplayer scene is. So if there's no matchmaking they just give up on mp? maybe.
I think reducing all those options to just a server list might have increased MP retention.
Matchmaking does not even work at the moment, and hasn't for about three months. I see people on the Mount and Blade subreddit discord saying "Isn't MP dead? I tried searching for a match the other day and it didn't work so I assumed no one was playing..."

I had to put up captain servers for NA because the queue is so broken that even two full parties in the same region can't match together.

I think balance modification are in order when we have a healthy and numerous MP community.

what we need right now is to fix crashes and make/give cosmetic options, new game mechanics, xp events, etc.

we need players first

I actually agree this issue is the largest problem with multiplayer now, there's no doubt. This has been destroying the population in the most horrible way possible. I think the fact that this remained is the worst thing for the server retention as well. I thought that once the custom servers were released that this was going to be solved. I heard the EU servers figured out a way. If that isn't the case, I would actually say that everything I've posted here isn't as big of a priority as that. Since you are the one person I suspect might fully know, uh, I'm gonna put that at the top uhh because I thought this was finally over... smh.

I think balance modification are in order when we have a healthy and numerous MP community.

what we need right now is to fix crashes and make/give cosmetic options, new game mechanics, xp events, etc.

we need players first

Ya I think tale worlds secretly spent a lot of time and resources porting this game to console and is likely to do exactly what you are saying.

Game has lots of problems about gameplay, but the the problems you mentioned its not really problem and not important compare to fundemental problem of this game I'd say. Your problem is mostly git gud thingy. Also its not damage of make 2v1 impossible; movement speed, shield bash, maybe even chamber.
Chambers aren't consistent enough to be replicated even while you're practicing it in duel. I do agree this could be a great way to offset this problem, it doesn't exist though so maybe that is the suggestion. Shield bash isn't it, movement speed works for kiting but dear god are we really saying that's the only way you can win a 2v1? Why not just make it so that 2 skilled players can't abuse the damage locks with timed swings to kill anyone in the game with no chance of responding?

Hold on one second these examples are absurdly unrealistic. This only applies because the examples have a higher weighted weapon. Notice how they have a two handed sword and are always fighting one handed weapons? Because when you block weapons with a higher weight you get delayed when you try to block again. Besides that glaring issue these are exceptional circumstances when the people they are fighting continuously do the wrong moves for 30 seconds in a row! You're proving my point the only way it's possible to survive a two v one is if the enemies are making mistakes! This is intentional it's planned and coded into the multiplayer to prevent people from being as good as they actually are. Ask a developer this is on purpose and it's awful. You should be with me not against me dude.

Last edited:
The matchmaking actually does seem to be working now, but no one is queueing. When 1.8 dropped my group and I were all queueing at the same time and we’d get a game within a few minutes with a couple of randoms mixed in.

Some tips to improve:
- Join a clan
- Try training on duel/tdm
- Disable assists for SP aso (Autoblock on singlplayer etc)
Great advice for any new players looking for ways to improve their gameplay. I don't understand why you wasted your breath saying you disagree with all 8 of these points but thanks for helping random noobs that might be looking at this forum.

Last edited:
I just want to point out that the round shield thing ends up being super useful when defending against arrows while climbing ladders in several situations.

Chambers aren't consistent enough to be replicated even while you're practicing it in duel. I do agree this could be a great way to offset this problem, it doesn't exist though so maybe that is the suggestion.
Chambers can actually be used reliably (not by me, but a guy called Vampy does it pretty well). The real problem with chambers is that they really have no use case, if you land a chamber its not even free dmg its pretty easy to block and thus the risk reward is terrible to even attempt them.

I just want to point out that the round shield thing ends up being super useful when defending against arrows while climbing ladders in several situations.
This is a specific situation that would be problematic, though you could just let people turn their torso on ladders. Then round shields don't have two blocks that fail to protect 90% of your body.

Chambers can actually be used reliably (not by me, but a guy called Vampy does it pretty well). The real problem with chambers is that they really have no use case, if you land a chamber its not even free dmg its pretty easy to block and thus the risk reward is terrible to even attempt them.
I had them do that to me and didn't think it was intentional. You're right it wasn't a game changer by any means they did it once out of like 10 duels. I think in a 2v1 it would be surprising enough to possibly turn the table. It's not enough though because it's very risky most people can't even do it and that shouldn't be the only possible way of getting out of two skilled players attacking one person at the same time. With proper timing and basic movement it's just over automatically. This is by design and it's easy to fix.

Back
Top Bottom