Why aren't players allowed to be good at this game?

Users who are viewing this thread

Fyren338

Regular
I think it's really annoying when you get hit, and then you can't do anything for half a second except pray. Unfortunately Taleworlds doesn't answer prayers and every time you take a hit, you take another hit, and another hit, and you die. You aren't allowed to stop them because it's stunning that you allowed yourself to be hit and you deserve to be obliterated without the power to do anything about it. This sucks and isn't fun.

How come I can't crouch during a fight to dodge a swing when I notice someone always aims for headshots?

Why does unclicked right mouse INSTANTLY turn shields into illusions allowing arrows, bolts, lances, swords, and the breeze to phase right through it while it's still there ?

How come big wooden mallets absolutely ANNHILATE cavalry? I'm not that much into history but this is absurd and out of place that horses hard counter isn't spears it's big hammers. What kind of mario world logic allowed this to exist?

What am I supposed to do about the fact that if a horse touches me my block drops just enough to allow lances to slowly push themselves through my neck? If I swing at the horse they will notice before they bump me and swing with a 12 foot pole so I die no matter what.

how come archers can shoot my toes but I can't move my shield there? How is that fair? Archers can shoot around shields, awesome, but shields can't move around to protect your body. So archers just win if you walk towards them and there's nothing you can do if they are good enough at shooting. Cavalry is even worse at fighting them because they can hit the legs wrapped around the horse and yet again shields are worthless.

Speaking of worthless shields, the round ones are more useful for firewood. I certainly hope they don't have projectiles or wide swings. Because every time I block left or right my shield is going to protect absolutely nothing. It's like holding up the matador cape next to your body so the bull will run right past you. Problem is, nobody is very attracted to hitting your shield off to the side of your body when they aren't a cow they will just kill you.

Crushed through isn't fun it's infuriating. It's not balanced, somebody is going to post how great it is and these are the same kind of people that defend war crimes. This mechanic just ruins the game on a fundamental level that can't be matched.

Just so that I'm not mistaken as someone who is whining without a reason all of my questions have answers and I'll even give them to you because I want the game to be better.

Take off the stun when you take above ten damage it's game breaking and awful.
Allow crouching during fight why was this even taken away just let people do impressive things it's better for the game why are you hamstringing everybody?
Make shields do something when you aren't holding right click, they are decorative when they should be tactical.
Nerf hammers damage to horses into the ground. This is literally silly please remove this absurdity.
Remove cav bumps ability to lower blocks long enough for -lances- to pull of a hit. Maybe a swift one handed sword strike but at the very least make them switch weapons it doesn't make sense that this is allowed it's insanely over powered and abused by all the best players.
Bring back the invisible border and extend shields please make these things have some meaning in this game. I understand that allowing players to freely manipulate the shields all over their body would be insanely large project, that isn't necessary. Make shields capable of defending the players body, that's all you need to do.
Make it so round shields only block up or down, I can't even tell you how many countless times I've accidently used left or right and watch my shield dive off to the other side of my body for no reason while sword cuts right through my center.
Take crushed through out, ideally. If not, make it function like a kick at most make it drop block not be a viable attack. With good spacing and the fact that most two handed classes are faster it's just abusive to play against you move forward to close the gap they get a free hit and run away rinse and repeat until the game isn't fun anymore.

1. There was a play test were you could ignore stuns when you took less than 35 damage on a voulgier. It was broken
2. If an infantry player manages to hit a horse with a two handed hammer, it is through the fault of the rider or the effort of the infantry player's team.
3. Bump stabs are far from being an abusive mechanic. I quite like it from a game play perspective. There are other parts of cavalry game play I would nerf before I touched this.
4. You need to move sideways and/or jump while approching an archer if you are afraid of getting shot in the feet. Some of the best players can sidestrife point blank shots semi-reliably without a shield. If you have any infantry shields and their movement speed I would expect a good player to avoid footshots when soloing an archer 95 % + of the time. Dismounted cav are toast though.
5. Crush through weapons are slow and leave you without a shield. Even the lesser shields are gonna give you way more protection against arrows (and melee weapons if you are not skilled enough to block without a shield)
6. Shields can passively arrows when not blocked with actively. If you have a shield on your back it reduces all damage on your back by about 33 % IIRC. Should be a slight sound cue when it happens.

Is this for TDM or siege?

Sweet summer child, I understand you.
But, git gud!

Jlvkeok.jpg

There's a lot to criticise about the combat, but I don't agree with some of these points.

I think it's really annoying when you get hit, and then you can't do anything for half a second except pray. Unfortunately Taleworlds doesn't answer prayers and every time you take a hit, you take another hit, and another hit, and you die. You aren't allowed to stop them because it's stunning that you allowed yourself to be hit and you deserve to be obliterated without the power to do anything about it. This sucks and isn't fun.
I'm pretty sure you can still block in time after being hit in a 1v1 encounter. Once you've done that, you can then attack them, but you'd need to do so quickly if they're still attacking. It's not a turn-based game. I don't think there's anything about the game that doesn't allow you to get better at this.

How come I can't crouch during a fight to dodge a swing when I notice someone always aims for headshots?
I remember TG_Arena had quick ducking, but 1) it looked a bit weird, and 2) these kind of evasive manoeuvres (especially dodge-rolling) miss the point of M&B's system. The game uses a direction-based combat system, so a large part of the melee is supposed to be about blocking attacks in the right direction. That's just what the game is, and it's one big area where you can definitely get better at the game (to the point where you'll feel like a Jedi master if you've mastered it).

Why does unclicked right mouse INSTANTLY turn shields into illusions allowing arrows, bolts, lances, swords, and the breeze to phase right through it while it's still there ?
Because it's a skill-based combat system, which again you can definitely get better at. You just need the wherewithal to hold up your shield at the right moment. Making the shield always active will bring on too much of a luck-based factor (or make them OP), and I think inactive shields do still affect projectiles at the very least.

What am I supposed to do about the fact that if a horse touches me my block drops just enough to allow lances to slowly push themselves through my neck? If I swing at the horse they will notice before they bump me and swing with a 12 foot pole so I die no matter what.
This is an area where employing good footwork and awareness of incoming cavalry will help you get better at the game. Bump-lancing is something that can be fairly balanced and skill-based. Dealing with crushthrough, footshots and horse archers is completely unfun, but rearing up cavalry with polearms (before they bump-lance you) is definitely a fun thing to do in M&B. They just need to change the cavalry and polearm mechanics in lots of ways to improve the overall experience.

how come archers can shoot my toes but I can't move my shield there? How is that fair? Archers can shoot around shields, awesome, but shields can't move around to protect your body. So archers just win if you walk towards them and there's nothing you can do if they are good enough at shooting. Cavalry is even worse at fighting them because they can hit the legs wrapped around the horse and yet again shields are worthless.
There are some shields that work better than others for coverage, but I do think archers can bypass shields way too easily. Sometimes if you've bothered to buy a shield, equip the shield, hold RMB, point the camera at the archer, direct the shield in the downward position, the archer can still shoot you in the legs (let alone the feet). Preferably the shields would be enlarged generally for more coverage, otherwise invisible borders might have to be used. This is an element they could have improved on (since it was also an issue in Warband), but they've made it worse instead.

Projectiles going through shields is also another issue, and apparently it can happen due to "desynch" in the current state of the game.

Crushed through isn't fun it's infuriating. It's not balanced, somebody is going to post how great it is and these are the same kind of people that defend war crimes. This mechanic just ruins the game on a fundamental level that can't be matched.
I agree crushthrough is a cheesy mechanic, although it's not as bad as it used to be.

Before they first introduced it in 2020, the community explicitly told them they thought it was a terrible idea. They added it anyway to the MP, and it was a huge disaster. A poll was made on these boards in which the VAST majority voted for it to be removed or reduced. One of the few people who wanted it to stay in its entirety was a TW employee. Eventually they did something to reduce its prevalance (after about six months), but I think they silently increased it somewhat again when they added the perks.

I don't agree with most of these points, but there is one point I like to add: bump couches. They are absolute garbage and should be removed but it won't happen because, TW.

There are a lot of people who are good at this game. Sounds like you refuse to adapt and would rather the game change to fit your play style.

ngl, all of those points sound like a skill issue. Some players are really good at the game, just takes thousands of hours.

I'm pretty sure you can still block in time after being hit in a 1v1 encounter.
Outside of duels, most melee fights have multiple people in them. Due to the block delay, attack delay, and directional shield blocking, in addition to the stun, if you're stuck in a 1vX fight against players of moderate skill or higher, you just get stunned to death with no hope of survival. In Warband, fighting multiple people was difficult and usually involved you dying, but at least there were avenues available to skilled players, who found themselves in that situation, to survive or win. Now it's an autoloss if they don't teamhit each other. Skill is the primary factor still, but you're more shackled to poorly designed/implemented game mechanics outside your control than before that makes many situations downright unplayable.

Outside of duels, most melee fights have multiple people in them. Due to the block delay, attack delay, and directional shield blocking, in addition to the stun, if you're stuck in a 1vX fight against players of moderate skill or higher, you just get stunned to death with no hope of survival. In Warband, fighting multiple people was difficult and usually involved you dying, but at least there were avenues available to skilled players, who found themselves in that situation, to survive or win. Now it's an autoloss if they don't teamhit each other. Skill is the primary factor still, but you're more shackled to poorly designed/implemented game mechanics outside your control than before that makes many situations downright unplayable.
Definitely, it's significantly harder to win against multiple people in Bannerlord, even if they aren't very good. Especially on modes with no team damage like siege, encountering 3 or more people by yourself is usually an automatic death unless you play completely defensively until allies can get to you. Mostly due to a combination of the various stun durations and movement speeds and attack animations.
Maybe I'm just not good enough and need to learn how Bannerlord works compared to Warband, but I don't know if the way it works right now is exactly for the better.

Guys. I have well over 3000 hours invested in warband and bannerlord combined. I have a deep rooted understanding of the functionality and differences of both games. Furthermore, I'm from a clan you may even have heard of, WK. We dominated the entire North American tournament bracket scene for years. Currently I'm in [NATO] which is a largeish clan you might have seen their tags. I also compete occasionally at the rat party pickups, which is pretty much exclusively where you find all of the most skilled players in NA in the current player base of banner lord multiplayer. Now regarding the EU players which I'll readily admit is a larger portion of the current playerbase and has probably a bigger competitive scene IDK how I match against them. Either way, I'm not a noob guys. I'm bringing up multiple good points, how would I know these if I hadn't played alot of multiplayer? Everyone is handicapped by these specific very fixable problems. Honestly I figured having this many observations that are accurate would have proven this already, I guess I have to tell you openly.

I'm pretty sure you can still block in time after being hit in a 1v1 encounter. Once you've done that, you can then attack them, but you'd need to do so quickly if they're still attacking. It's not a turn-based game. I don't think there's anything about the game that doesn't allow you to get better at this.
Yes in a 1v1 this issue isn't relevant. You are correct. You are also ignoring the problem of 1v2 even. With decent timing and skills, these fights are impossible. That's really, really, really, really, unfun. K? Just, if you don't understand something, why openly disagree? What is this interjection for brother?

I remember TG_Arena had quick ducking, but 1) it looked a bit weird, and 2) these kind of evasive manoeuvres (especially dodge-rolling) miss the point of M&B's system. The game uses a direction-based combat system, so a large part of the melee is supposed to be about blocking attacks in the right direction. That's just what the game is, and it's one big area where you can definitely get better at the game (to the point where you'll feel like a Jedi master if you've mastered it).
Bro, you say that but that's not how the game works anymore. That's warband stuff man. Bannerlord lets you hit around people's shields and blocks all the time. I hate the romphalia, this weapon completely illustrates my point and your lack of understanding. BUT. This is in the game as it is now, we can't make that massive of a change, even if it would be for the better. What we can do is play into it a little bit at least. Since attackers have the opportunity to curve their attacks around blocks, defenders should at least be able to move out of the way of certain swings right like this just improves the game.

Because it's a skill-based combat system, which again you can definitely get better at. You just need the wherewithal to hold up your shield at the right moment. Making the shield always active will bring on too much of a luck-based factor (or make them OP), and I think inactive shields do still affect projectiles at the very least.

Okay so it's not the right moment that's the problem. If you drop your block for a millisecond arrows phase through your shield while it's still in front of your chest. This is frustrating and forces everyone to hold block forever because it's insanely dangerous to drop it even for a second.

This is an area where employing good footwork and awareness of incoming cavalry will help you get better at the game. Bump-lancing is something that can be fairly balanced and skill-based. Dealing with crushthrough, footshots and horse archers is completely unfun, but rearing up cavalry with polearms (before they bump-lance you) is definitely a fun thing to do in M&B. They just need to change the cavalry and polearm mechanics in lots of ways to improve the overall experience.

bro, this is an area you don't know what you're talking about. At all. You are speaking insanely. You probably haven't fought with alot of high skilled players before and so you aren't understanding what a massive problem this is. I can't express enough how abusive and infuriating this broken mechanic is. I've already implemented a perfect suggestion to balance this massive glaring issue with balancing extremely skilled players ability to abuse this. They need to use their sidearms it's actually ridiculous that they push their horse into you at 5 mph dealing 2 damage and then point blank push a lance through your neck. Do you not understand how ridiculous and impossible this is? At point blank you shouldn't even be able to hit the enemy with a lance, on foot, you can't do it with a spear. Why does this exist it's SO BROKEN.

Last edited:
1. There was a play test were you could ignore stuns when you took less than 35 damage on a voulgier. It was broken
2. If an infantry player manages to hit a horse with a two handed hammer, it is through the fault of the rider or the effort of the infantry player's team.
3. Bump stabs are far from being an abusive mechanic. I quite like it from a game play perspective. There are other parts of cavalry game play I would nerf before I touched this.
4. You need to move sideways and/or jump while approching an archer if you are afraid of getting shot in the feet. Some of the best players can sidestrife point blank shots semi-reliably without a shield. If you have any infantry shields and their movement speed I would expect a good player to avoid footshots when soloing an archer 95 % + of the time. Dismounted cav are toast though.
5. Crush through weapons are slow and leave you without a shield. Even the lesser shields are gonna give you way more protection against arrows (and melee weapons if you are not skilled enough to block without a shield)
6. Shields can passively arrows when not blocked with actively. If you have a shield on your back it reduces all damage on your back by about 33 % IIRC. Should be a slight sound cue when it happens.

Is this for TDM or siege?
These mechanics all apply to TDM Siege and Skirmish. They are universal problems in the multiplayer.

1: Prove that and why was it broken this point is completely irrelevant without those two things a waste of time to read honestly.
2. Hammers do too much damage, way too much. Go test it out and see how powerful they are against horses before you blanket statement say it's the cavalries fault.
3. It doesn't make sense that spears on foot can't point blank stab people but lances one handed while riding a horse can. Even if you disagree with how powerful and broken it is, this shouldn't exist regardless. By the way, you are wrong. The best cavalry abuse the ever living heck out of this mechanic and it is completely broken and unfair you just think because most people don't get how to abuse it yet it isn't broken. The skill ceiling will raise and as more of the community master this completely abusive and ridiculous silly straight up bad mechanic, it will become even more insufferable.
4. no, just no. Make shields work how about that? I can do all of those things extremely well brother I bet that you could shoot at me and I would dodge 90% of your arrows. I'm an archer hunter, I know how to get around this problem, but why? Why don't shields, just, work? Why does anyone feel the need to pushing back against shields, functioning?? They prevent arrows and hits, that's their purpose. Except they don't it's absurd.
5. again, this is just wrong. Crush through weapons are slow, the classes that have them start out with a faster run speed. It's not slower than most of the regular infantry classes. Can you grasp how this is a problem or do I need to walk it through slower for you. Because naked people with hammers are sprinting around this conversation faster than you grasp why this is broken.
6. That's cute I actually like that mechanic and I understand. So here's the problem which I ALREADY WROTE DOWN ahem... so when you unclick the shield, it's still right in front of your body for a moment, but in that one moment right, IT BECOMES USELESS. Right so you can't drop you block ever if there are archers around can you, because even if you want to swing, the moment you start your instantly shieldless. This is annoying because the shield is RIGHT THERE but not functioning. I didn't say anything about it being on the back though thanks for that observation which was entirely irrelevant.

Your salt is showing a bit too much. People are engaging with your post and discussing it, giving advice and responses as best suits someone who has a problem with the gameplay. If you didn't think letting them know that your recruit forum account belongs to an experienced player, that's on you. So speaking from a mechanical stand point, yeah some stuff doesn't make sense and others does in the new version of MnB. If you want to talk about how specific mechanics affect high level play, and that's the kind or response you expected from people, then that could have been a better post title.

None of these points stop people from being good at the game though. Maybe they stop people who are already good at the game from winning fair/unfair fights. Again, that's a different point to what anyone coming to this thread expected.

here's my take on a few things if anyone is interested

Yes in a 1v1 this issue isn't relevant. You are correct. You are also ignoring the problem of 1v2 even. With decent timing and skills, these fights are impossible.

I think this was fun yes, but realistically it would get a lot more complaints from less experienced players in Bannerlord than it would get praise from experienced players.
Sometimes I beat 1v2 or even 1v3 and others not. Usually if they are as experienced (or more) or just have better armor, I don't stand a chance on my own v more than 1. It makes sense. Even if they are just competent enough at the system, it's not hard to time your blocks even with random net players. if I just blocked a swing that is meant to tear flesh through armor, I'm not gonna ninja to the next swing.
It makes sense.

Bro, you say that but that's not how the game works anymore. That's warband stuff man. Bannerlord lets you hit around people's shields and blocks all the time. I hate the romphalia, this weapon completely illustrates my point and your lack of understanding. BUT. This is in the game as it is now, we can't make that massive of a change, even if it would be for the better. What we can do is play into it a little bit at least. Since attackers have the opportunity to curve their attacks around blocks, defenders should at least be able to move out of the way of certain swings right like this just improves the game.
I enjoy dueling against fully armored 2h wielding monster with my battanian clansman holding a kitchen knife as much as the next guy, but the fact that some weapons make head on inf v inf difficult seems to mean a change of approach is better. Shoot that guy before the other guys, catch em out, put two on him instead of 1. Either way, adding duck or dodge mechanics just for the sake of stuff like this seems like a big change for a specific issue. I used to go into warband lobbies with the lowest armor and the cheapest (but fastest) 1h sword and be ablet to go against anyone. I still try but it's not the same anymore. Either I'm rusty (likeley) or the system makes this much harder.

Okay so it's not the right moment that's the problem. If you drop your block for a millisecond arrows phase through your shield while it's still in front of your chest. This is frustrating and forces everyone to hold block forever because it's insanely dangerous to drop it even for a second.
I get what you mean about this, but arrows which hit your shield while on your arm and not blocking still just hit the shield no? If releasing the block button reduces the trigger/collision box for the arrow getting stuck then that could make sense, since you are not blocking the character is not actively trying to catch the arrow with the shield. If I'm waiting for you to lower your shield so I can shoot you in that tiny part of your face, then ima wait and you better be blocking'. Although (controversial view here) I wish shields on your back stopped arrows. There, I said it!

bro, this is an area you don't know what you're talking about. At all. You are speaking insanely. You probably haven't fought with alot of high skilled players before and so you aren't understanding what a massive problem this is. I can't express enough how abusive and infuriating this broken mechanic is. I've already implemented a perfect suggestion to balance this massive glaring issue with balancing extremely skilled players ability to abuse this. They need to use their sidearms it's actually ridiculous that they push their horse into you at 5 mph dealing 2 damage and then point blank push a lance through your neck. Do you not understand how ridiculous and impossible this is? At point blank you shouldn't even be able to hit the enemy with a lance, on foot, you can't do it with a spear. Why does this exist it's SO BROKEN.
Some people hate it others not. If it gets abused in high level play then that sucks but If a horse is trampling you even at 2mph and you're taking it or are sandwiched between other enemies then that makes sense. I duel cav with low tier inf on duel maps and I haven't had this done to me and can easily outmaneuver a horse going slowly. High level players can utilize small exploits in the game to get an edge a guess. Though I don't know if 200, 1000 or 3000 hours of multiplayer constitutes high level..

Your salt is showing a bit too much. People are engaging with your post and discussing it, giving advice and responses as best suits someone who has a problem with the gameplay. If you didn't think letting them know that your recruit forum account belongs to an experienced player, that's on you. So speaking from a mechanical stand point, yeah some stuff doesn't make sense and others does in the new version of MnB. If you want to talk about how specific mechanics affect high level play, and that's the kind or response you expected from people, then that could have been a better post title.
Bro people are gaslighting me because everytime you suggest anything ever nobody ever says they agree because there's no point in saying that, they read it, and they agree. Everyone who disagrees wants to tell me why. I've been aggressively sitting down children and not allowing disingenuous or half baked no thought responses to become prevalent because that's what they deserve. Furthermore it should be OBVIOUS that I play alot of multiplayer when I bring up six genuine complaints about the mechanical problems with the game. ??? People flying in here to tell me how to play the basics of the game didn't read the actual post at all or fail to make basic connections in their brains.

None of these points stop people from being good at the game though. Maybe they stop people who are already good at the game from winning fair/unfair fights. Again, that's a different point to what anyone coming to this thread expected.

This is actually based and I agree the subtext of your reply because it's true that I put a click baiting title on top of this and didn't transition into anything constructive which doesn't actually accomplish anything. So I'm going to repost this as a poll with an appropriate title based on this your advice.

In response to your question regarding how these mechanics pertain to the skill ceiling in the game, I would say that the first two mechanics are my biggest concerns regarding this issue. You understand that obviously based on your response and youtube video and you're right that the other points aren't as connected to the title. I understand that there is some concern from people about the issue of skilled players pushing out newer inexperienced ones, I just genuinely believe that letting people excel is inspiring not demotivating. I know that when I first loved warband it was in awe of the impressive feats the people that mastered the game were capable of. That inspired me more than anything to get better at the game and I think we shouldn't pander to soft minded quitters that give up in the face of the great adversity.

Take off the stun when you take above ten damage it's game breaking and awful.
Allow crouching during fight why was this even taken away just let people do impressive things it's better for the game why are you hamstringing everybody?
Make shields do something when you aren't holding right click, they are decorative when they should be tactical.
Nerf hammers damage to horses into the ground. This is literally silly please remove this absurdity.
Remove cav bumps ability to lower blocks long enough for -lances- to pull of a hit. Maybe a swift one handed sword strike but at the very least make them switch weapons it doesn't make sense that this is allowed it's insanely over powered and abused by all the best players.
Bring back the invisible border and extend shields please make these things have some meaning in this game. I understand that allowing players to freely manipulate the shields all over their body would be insanely large project, that isn't necessary. Make shields capable of defending the players body, that's all you need to do.
Make it so round shields only block up or down, I can't even tell you how many countless times I've accidently used left or right and watch my shield dive off to the other side of my body for no reason while sword cuts right through my center.
Take crushed through out, ideally. If not, make it function like a kick at most make it drop block not be a viable attack. With good spacing and the fact that most two handed classes are faster it's just abusive to play against you move forward to close the gap they get a free hit and run away rinse and repeat until the game isn't fun anymore.
I mean, this stuff makes sense. I used to hate the hammer crush though in warband so much omg. I intentionally never used it because I felt like a big cheese, not in the good way. and the hammer/spear thing makes sense. I mean, I think a person swinging a wooden sledgehammer at a horse going quick would still f it up, but the fact that a stationary horse dont go down when I stab or slash it, but does when I smack it's booty with a club probably... that's probably where the logic ends and it just makes sense to lower blunt damage for horses for the sake of how it looks. Though it seems like a fun high level exploit to go hammertime on cav lol

If shields get more protective with a larger aoe, then adjusting their health may be a good balance. I rarely have to switch shield because almost all shields take a decent pounding from anything except a decent axe. In Warband I used to carry two shields at a time almost always because one, or both or more will break if I survive a TD long enough. Only the very best shields could handle a good beating and a 6-10 killstreak. Now I've rarely had a shield break. Making shields more certain in what they do but harder to sustain might be a good balance that also gives some purpose to directional shield blocking (reducing the damage a shield takes? right?) which I mostly ignore unless I'm choosing to try hard a bit.

If someone can just delete this whole thread post that would be awesome. I reposted a corrected version that is far more productive and hopefully actually useful.

Lol I’m quite familiar with the pickups server. You’re a very solid player but you try to play Bannerlord like Warband which is holding you back. I’m on mobile so I won’t go point-by-point but bro maybe instead of spamming the n word in chat you could try adapting your playstyle to fit the game.

The fact that you are accusing me of that proves to me that you definitely have me confused with someone else man. I'm very actively against the use of that word and have had multiple disputes regarding it in that discord. I'm glad that place got deleted it was a cesspool and I vehemently fought against it's unmoderated existence. They like recreated it under a new pretense and early on there I was randomly made a moderator but it was instantly taken away as I immediately started fighting the blatant rampant racism there.

If shields get more protective with a larger aoe, then adjusting their health may be a good balance. I rarely have to switch shield because almost all shields take a decent pounding from anything except a decent axe. In Warband I used to carry two shields at a time almost always because one, or both or more will break if I survive a TD long enough. Only the very best shields could handle a good beating and a 6-10 killstreak. Now I've rarely had a shield break. Making shields more certain in what they do but harder to sustain might be a good balance that also gives some purpose to directional shield blocking (reducing the damage a shield takes? right?) which I mostly ignore unless I'm choosing to try hard a bit.
I completely agree with that and this is great feedback. I reposted this and I think you should say this on the correct thread cause I was trying figure out how to delete this one.

Yes in a 1v1 this issue isn't relevant. You are correct. You are also ignoring the problem of 1v2 even. With decent timing and skills, these fights are impossible. That's really, really, really, really, unfun. K? Just, if you don't understand something, why openly disagree? What is this interjection for brother?
You didn't clarify you were talking about 1v2. Stun might be a problem, but (for what it's worth) I think a bigger problem for 1v2 is the game's sluggish foot movement in between and around enemies (not sprinting).

I've played the game a lot, and I never felt like I came across 2h attacks "curving" around shields or blocks. If they've changed it very recently, then fair enough, but I'd prefer to see a video. And even then, at least for discussion's sake, we shouldn't treat it like it has to stay. If they're changing it, it can be changed further. Unless they won't because the release is near, in which case they're not going to add "ducking" either.

This might be a different point, but sometimes with a 1h sword I might look further away from the player while swinging to (supposedly) reach around shields. Although, I feel like it's more of a case of getting the enemy to drop their shield or making them look the wrong way or even just walking around to their side (or just doing random stuff and getting lucky).

I think the wide swing arcs are pretty bad, because they're clumsy, and they can get stuck on things around you (even far behind you). It makes the gameplay comparable to how Warband was during one of its earliest beta builds. The exact same issues were brought up in both the Warband and Bannerlord beta periods, but this time around they're not making the same efforts to address the same issues.

Callum (TW): This seems to be working as intended as far as I can tell.

FBohler: Worrying to see Callum trying to justify the unjustifiable...

The game automatically switching attack direction for you when you don't move the mouse is another issue (shown in the video). It used to be that swinging and missing would be what switched the direction automatically, because I guess in some realistic sense the weapon would naturally cross over to the other side (at least horizontally). That was bad enough. But they obviously tried changing it, and now (instead of removing it entirely) it's still there, but it instead happens when you actually hit something, which is even worse, and it doesn't bring on any petty "realistic" logic at all.

I agree that cavalry and polearms mechanics ought to be improved.

They've made some very small improvements during EA, but it's my impression that they're mostly okay with making (sorry to be blunt) an untalented tech-demo simulator with paradoxically detailed yet shallow gameplay mechanics, so don't get your hopes up.

I agree that cavalry and polearms mechanics ought to be improved.

They've made some very small improvements during EA, but it's my impression that they're mostly okay with making (sorry to be blunt) an untalented tech-demo simulator with paradoxically detailed yet shallow gameplay mechanics, so don't get your hopes up.

Hmm so first of all about your anticav hits in that video, is fairly simple to see that your attack are either to fast or to slow where you arent gettining a good hit on the horse (i belive beacuse of the missed handling range)

Now about the cav damage with little to no movment, it is to much but some sort of realism in games has to be neglected to make it playable (atleast for multi) If we stick to realism swords should deal 10damage to armored troops and a fullspeed horse charge should deal way more damage no?
Now more about the damage, most of the times cav players still gather speed and move around as it isnt really beneficial to stand in place and let yourself get hit or deal like 20damage to non armored troop. It also requiers a fairly simple to learn mechanic to deal that damage and "get a full hit". I think the most dealt damage as stationary cav in this video is like 30, what i think is quiet reasonable for nonarmored troops that either get hit to the back/head or lay on the ground. (Part in slowmotion, where you get hit from behind) Thats the only part of the video i can back as something to be worth looking in to, as hitboxes in this game are broken (Shields, Wierd teamhits etc) Altough this wierd hit could have also accured cuz of desync or any other server problem.

This might be a different point, but sometimes with a 1h sword I might look further away from the player while swinging to (supposedly) reach around shields. Although, I feel like it's more of a case of getting the enemy to drop their shield or making them look the wrong way or even just walking around to their side (or just doing random stuff and getting lucky).

Its normal that you can hit someone when they block the wrong way and you arent straight in front. Some of clips might also get justified by people realising block in the threshold where you attack. I find it quiet annyoing that shields suddenly stop working if you just realise the button, even tho they cover the part that is going to be hit.

Back
Top Bottom