SP - General We are in urgent need of hierarchical delegation of tasks and long distance management.

Users who are viewing this thread

xdj1nn

Knight at Arms
Basically the game needs serious UI options for long-distance management, while also making proper use of governors + their respective garrisons to solve local settlement issues.
As is we already come from a heavy micro-management multi-task to even reach the state where we own a settlement, and once you own it that becomes a chore because you've just earned yourself another 3 layers of micro-management that needs your physical presence. This alone's enough to put heavy restraints on players because if they move away to properly contribute in a war or get stranded by being taken prisoner, their entire fiefdom comes to crumbles, and since the AI doesn't play by the same rules, that's not just an extremely offeding imbalance, it also deters fun-factor from owning land. In fact, owning land's much less effective than doing a full-blown charisma mercenary playthrough, and that speaks louder than a thunderstorm.

I also miss having noble hierarchy and the possibility of distrubution of layered titles like dukes, barons, thanes, etc. I think the game needs that since Warband, and I ain't backing down on it, villages should get their own individual lieges like in Warband, and there must be hierarchical interactions, it would also be a must (again, as in Warband) to always start as a vassal owning only a village, but this time around instead of keeping it, you've ranked so your village's transfered back to their de jure lord who owns it's bound settlement, and it's his prerrogative to land another one in your stead.

Such a system can work as long as we keep internal kingdom politics within the curret horizontal voting system, but dukes should generate more influence, and the target of the system for fiefdom should be that everyone holds at most 2 to 3 fiefs at all times. This would add layers of depth into the game, and could pave the way to create new nobles / clans through companions. It would also make up for the lack of companion slots and companion spawns because there wouldn't be a urgent need to place a billion governors everywhere. Micro-managing companions' nightmarish to say the least. We need more control.

Governor only providing perks and not fixing local issues is huge problem and a missing feature tbh. He should also boost recruitment of a garrison and open up some options to customize it since we can just leave orders for him to follow.

The game is missing A LOT when it comes to RTS aspects of fief/army/companions/party/kingdom management. It doesn't exist (beside form an army button).

Governor only providing perks and not fixing local issues is huge problem and a missing feature tbh. He should also boost recruitment of a garrison and open up some options to customize it since we can just leave orders for him to follow.

The game is missing A LOT when it comes to RTS aspects of fief/army/companions/party/kingdom management. It doesn't exist (beside form an army button).
yes please, ty TW :fruity:

I'll make a semi-repost of this when I get around to make a suggestion sheet with detailed description + everything that I know would make the game better. That includes FIEF TRADING WITHOUT PERKS! :lol::lol::lol:

well, many points to analyze. But first of all, as a Rimworld player, your idea that this game is heavily micromanaged offends me. I don't see my vladia soldiers having a mental breakdown and deserting because I ran out of butter in inventory

UI options for long-distance management
Without a doubt it is a problem for the player, because unlike the AI we cannot be everywhere at the same time. And I have seen the security of a settlement lose due to the combination of several problems at the same time.

From the window where you view your fiefdoms, when selecting each one, one should have the settlement management window like the one we see when we are in the fief, which allows us to change the projects, add background, even see the garrison. In addition, a list of notifications in the form of a Letter, which alerts us of any problem, for example "dear sir, in village X we need pack animals, we would appreciate your collaboration, etc, etc" and in the same Letter have the option of send a companion or the option "send to the governor using garrison". In both options, the troops window will open and we will carry out the order. It would help a lot to have a method of extra experience for governors, mainly those of the castles that just hopefully get some charisma if a noble is in your castle.

The only detail to take into account, so that the face-to-face work does not become obsolete, is that the missions by Letter have a delay in arriving at you, when the mission arises, it takes 5 days to appear in the form of a letter. This would give a certain dynamism and would not make direct work obsolete for those of us who like to do it.

noble hierarchy

There is a lot of lack of being a noble nobody, as it was in Warband, even being a nobody woman, when you reached a certain reputation and you did not have any invitation to a kingdom, your female companions had unique dialogues for that. Mainly to cheer you up, which was fun.

Regarding titles, the owner of a castle is a baron, if X castles were attached to X cities, they could be considered Counties, which would make the owner of the city the Count of that region. And I believe that the chief of a village would be a Vassal. The counts would gain % of the entire region including castles, the Barons, the castle and its villages and the vassal of the villages they rule.

The Clan Rank would determine up to what title you can reach. Even duchies could be created, even the small territory of Battania can be easily divided into 3 Duchies. So Clan 1: Mercenary, Clan 2: Vassal, Clan 3: Baron, Clan 4: Count, Clan 5: Duke and Clan 6: King

Creating this system would give some situations that could be interesting, like if you are a vassal and the baron, earl or duke reveals himself and changes sides, you would have the option to accompany him or not, losing or not your village, gaining friendship or enmity with your king or your direct superior. each defection could be a mini-civil war, which would not be bad.

but dukes should generate more influence
In some of the laws of the game, if I am not mistaken, it mentions this, but in practice it is as you say, it is horizontal. Your 3k influence is worthless when you can only spend 150 of it for a vote and your vote is worth no more than that of the super poor new ally who will eventually leave as soon as he gets a fief hahaha.
mercenary playthrough
For my next game I'm thinking of a Build of a character that can recruit soldiers, bandits and train as cheaply and quickly as possible to become a Troop Delivery for the armies. I want to see if I make a kingdom become a power and I am rich, or probably destroy the economy of it by generating so much influence.

well, many points to analyze. But first of all, as a Rimworld player, your idea that this game is heavily micromanaged offends me. I don't see my vladia soldiers having a mental breakdown and deserting because I ran out of butter in inventory

Without a doubt it is a problem for the player, because unlike the AI we cannot be everywhere at the same time. And I have seen the security of a settlement lose due to the combination of several problems at the same time.

From the window where you view your fiefdoms, when selecting each one, one should have the settlement management window like the one we see when we are in the fief, which allows us to change the projects, add background, even see the garrison. In addition, a list of notifications in the form of a Letter, which alerts us of any problem, for example "dear sir, in village X we need pack animals, we would appreciate your collaboration, etc, etc" and in the same Letter have the option of send a companion or the option "send to the governor using garrison". In both options, the troops window will open and we will carry out the order. It would help a lot to have a method of extra experience for governors, mainly those of the castles that just hopefully get some charisma if a noble is in your castle.

The only detail to take into account, so that the face-to-face work does not become obsolete, is that the missions by Letter have a delay in arriving at you, when the mission arises, it takes 5 days to appear in the form of a letter. This would give a certain dynamism and would not make direct work obsolete for those of us who like to do it.

There is a lot of lack of being a noble nobody, as it was in Warband, even being a nobody woman, when you reached a certain reputation and you did not have any invitation to a kingdom, your female companions had unique dialogues for that. Mainly to cheer you up, which was fun.

Regarding titles, the owner of a castle is a baron, if X castles were attached to X cities, they could be considered Counties, which would make the owner of the city the Count of that region. And I believe that the chief of a village would be a Vassal. The counts would gain % of the entire region including castles, the Barons, the castle and its villages and the vassal of the villages they rule.

The Clan Rank would determine up to what title you can reach. Even duchies could be created, even the small territory of Battania can be easily divided into 3 Duchies. So Clan 1: Mercenary, Clan 2: Vassal, Clan 3: Baron, Clan 4: Count, Clan 5: Duke and Clan 6: King

Creating this system would give some situations that could be interesting, like if you are a vassal and the baron, earl or duke reveals himself and changes sides, you would have the option to accompany him or not, losing or not your village, gaining friendship or enmity with your king or your direct superior. each defection could be a mini-civil war, which would not be bad.

In some of the laws of the game, if I am not mistaken, it mentions this, but in practice it is as you say, it is horizontal. Your 3k influence is worthless when you can only spend 150 of it for a vote and your vote is worth no more than that of the super poor new ally who will eventually leave as soon as he gets a fief hahaha.

For my next game I'm thinking of a Build of a character that can recruit soldiers, bandits and train as cheaply and quickly as possible to become a Troop Delivery for the armies. I want to see if I make a kingdom become a power and I am rich, or probably destroy the economy of it by generating so much influence.
For noble hierarchy I got some ideas, but I think that simulating such large chunks of the map as "counties" would be a mistake, we could elevate it and make it so town owners have attached castles, and those are the dukes, castle owners are counts and villager rulers are barons.
That way the map would be more divided regarding duchies, and at minimum a duchy would mean 1 town + 2 castles and all villages attached, which would make for nice intricacies even for map painting. It could also open the way for Thanes being unlanded nobles + more intricacies if they add outsourced party control (like your superior giving you instructions to patrol certain zones, or accompany them in an army) - anyway, regardless of unlanded or not, attaching titles to the lords names would be nice, and forming armies would follow the influence system quite well by being normal priced for your own vassals, but outsourced parties from others and the king being exceptionally expensive unless the king declares the Marshall decree and nominates someone as such = that guy can summon everyone with a discount.

Adding layers to noble hierarchy would have the exact effect as you mentioned, creating decent civil wars and internal struggles, it would also determine if a noble deflecting to another kingdom would manage to carry over their respective fiefs or not in the process.

-----

as for the mercenary playthrough, through testing, I figured it's quite exploitable and you can become the most powerful noble in the game without ever owning any land or having any liege. Basically what you must focus is on grinding Charm to shoot it higher than 300. After you get to that level you start doing mercenary contracts, but only when your influence's above 1k -> translates into 60k payments for months on end until the bar nullifies itself and you're stagnated with less than 200 influence, when that happens, terminate the contract, do more quests without serving anyone until influence's above 1k again, hence and repeat. By doing that I manged to gather over 10m had a pure elite army and reached clan lvl 5 almost 6. Pretty amazing and it totally negated any of the annoying impacts of owning land and struggling to get it to prosper, I also didn't have to worry about spamming caravans when questing during the downtime. Which can be comboed to speed up the renown gain.

Though it did for a fun game run, it annoyed me more than it made me happy because I knew how time consuming and annoying the alternative of being a vassal or a king was. For someone wanting to start as a top notch vassal it's still a decent strategy, because if you grind dozens of millions and reach clan 6 before joining anyone permanently, that means when you do you'll basically have a monopoly over most of the kingdom's decisions and if the ruler dies you're probably going to be elected the new king.

I didn't invent the categories I wrote, but that's how they were, at least what I learned playing CK2 hahaha. In any case, the rank of duke could simply not be implemented and each city with its annexed castles would be only counties and the castle owners would be barons, and lastly, the vassal village chiefs. That the game is inspired by the middle ages should not be 100%. Right now, there is only the rank of king and earls, and each castle is the capital of small counties. They could stay that way and implement that each village can have a low ranking noble. Creating the system that I mentioned before would only make the owner of a city have power over the castles and direct village chiefs, if we created regions that were dukedoms, one of the owners of one of the cities of that dukedom, if there were more than one city, they would have power over the owner of the other city or cities of that dukedom. Each kingdom would have different levels of clans in relation to their power, all with the ambition of being dukes or counts, which are the most profitable ranks.

The most important thing I think that the whole idea in general is good, it would not be a drastic change in the mechanics of the game, really.

At the same time it would expand a lot. Imagine if you were a duke, from a dukedom with 2 cities and you have the owner of the second city in charge and he declares war on YOU for the title of duke. Or you are a count and the baron of one of the castles does it. You could do it yourself if you had the requirements. Or instead of war it was by voting, demanding your right before the Senate, creating enmities over territory, etc.

Being a mercenary doesn't even require charisma. He recruits 200 fians, wipes out armies of 300 or 400 men who think they outnumber you. A safe and profitable property is impossible if you lack buildings or do not have a good governor. For the player, the only indispensable utility that a property has is a place to store things. I usually enter a kingdom already being the richest nobleman in the kingdom and not even for abusing blacksmithing.

I didn't invent the categories I wrote, but that's how they were, at least what I learned playing CK2 hahaha. In any case, the rank of duke could simply not be implemented and each city with its annexed castles would be only counties and the castle owners would be barons, and lastly, the vassal village chiefs. That the game is inspired by the middle ages should not be 100%. Right now, there is only the rank of king and earls, and each castle is the capital of small counties. They could stay that way and implement that each village can have a low ranking noble. Creating the system that I mentioned before would only make the owner of a city have power over the castles and direct village chiefs, if we created regions that were dukedoms, one of the owners of one of the cities of that dukedom, if there were more than one city, they would have power over the owner of the other city or cities of that dukedom. Each kingdom would have different levels of clans in relation to their power, all with the ambition of being dukes or counts, which are the most profitable ranks.

The most important thing I think that the whole idea in general is good, it would not be a drastic change in the mechanics of the game, really.

At the same time it would expand a lot. Imagine if you were a duke, from a dukedom with 2 cities and you have the owner of the second city in charge and he declares war on YOU for the title of duke. Or you are a count and the baron of one of the castles does it. You could do it yourself if you had the requirements. Or instead of war it was by voting, demanding your right before the Senate, creating enmities over territory, etc.

Being a mercenary doesn't even require charisma. He recruits 200 fians, wipes out armies of 300 or 400 men who think they outnumber you. A safe and profitable property is impossible if you lack buildings or do not have a good governor. For the player, the only indispensable utility that a property has is a place to store things. I usually enter a kingdom already being the richest nobleman in the kingdom and not even for abusing blacksmithing.
arguable, the thing is that Charm isn't as grindy as other skills, and once you reach the final perk you'll earn influence for free even being independent. So you can focus on other things while gathering free inf, join someone as mercenary, fight some wars, accumulate a fortune, bam, another downtime. Sure you have no storage, but you don't need it. A fact that bothers me the most's how immersion breaking crafting still is, somehow they made it even grindier than before (which was the core issue with it), and kept the floating weapon parts visual glitches, in fact those seem to be even worse now. That means, even though I wanna craft stuff, once I do it ruins the game for me, can't really look past a sword blade floating 20 centimeters away from the handle, or stare at a handle, 10 centimeters of nothing and a scabbard.

This issue hasn't been corrected in 2 years, and it's a graphical one of which shouldn't be hard to address (shouldn't doesn't mean it isn't, and if it is indeed hard to fix, than we have a serious issue with the engine of which they haven't spoken about)

arguable, the thing is that Charm isn't as grindy as other skills, and once you reach the final perk you'll earn influence for free even being independent. So you can focus on other things while gathering free inf, join someone as mercenary, fight some wars, accumulate a fortune, bam, another downtime. Sure you have no storage, but you don't need it. A fact that bothers me the most's how immersion breaking crafting still is, somehow they made it even grindier than before (which was the core issue with it), and kept the floating weapon parts visual glitches, in fact those seem to be even worse now. That means, even though I wanna craft stuff, once I do it ruins the game for me, can't really look past a sword blade floating 20 centimeters away from the handle, or stare at a handle, 10 centimeters of nothing and a scabbard.

This issue hasn't been corrected in 2 years, and it's a graphical one of which shouldn't be hard to address (shouldn't doesn't mean it isn't, and if it is indeed hard to fix, than we have a serious issue with the engine of which they haven't spoken about)
I always improve my charm, but I didn't know what immortal charm I still accumulated outside of a realm. As I saw that the influence of tournaments and linebackers does not do it, I thought they had corrected that. It's always good to have high charm so you don't need so many quests for a village to give you its best troops.

I don't know what went through their heads about the blacksmith, the idea of how the pieces are obtained is fine, even though the identical pieces between categories should all be unlocked, but they put floating pommels or they don't fit all the weapons that almost It looks like a weapon made through an exploit. Someone will have to spend some time correcting those collisions.

I always improve my charm, but I didn't know what immortal charm I still accumulated outside of a realm. As I saw that the influence of tournaments and linebackers does not do it, I thought they had corrected that. It's always good to have high charm so you don't need so many quests for a village to give you its best troops.

I don't know what went through their heads about the blacksmith, the idea of how the pieces are obtained is fine, even though the identical pieces between categories should all be unlocked, but they put floating pommels or they don't fit all the weapons that almost It looks like a weapon made through an exploit. Someone will have to spend some time correcting those collisions.
nah, the err there is attaching Tier pieces to a "have all previous" for unlocking. This change made unlocking slightly less stupid compared to before, but it's still crap. The way to go would be to associate tiers to skill level, and have the "randomness" happen for the unlocking (still retaining weapon smelted restrictions). Also, detaching completely the need of multiple toons to reach high level of smithing, as is we NEED multiple companions wasting pts on it just to make anything viable, that just doesn't cut. The result's that I'm suffering abstinence from mods that remove smithing stamina. And finally, schematics and books could be added to unlock T5 and other legendary level stuff, but instead they chose the poorest of them all, and the weapon parts available for all weapons but 1h swords are too limited and ultimately lacking.

As for the charm, idk if it was corrected, that last game it happened was in the stable version (1.7.2). If it was correct here goes another viable play choice that avoids asian grinding or auto-calc spam, which's quite sad :cry:. In fact most if not all balancing corrections they made so far are just anti-fun stuff that removes from the player, it's a SP game in EA, doesn't even make sense focusing on that. They should be fixing combat and adding missing content, not that.

Back
Top Bottom