What would be an ideal "Bannerlord" for you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Nawari

Veteran
My ideal "Bannerlord" for me would be a much more immersive Bannerlord and many other activities more interesting than repeated battles.

I "preach" on this forum for a "singleplayer" Bannerlord with more interactive npcs, truly "endearing" companions, a deeper "diplomatic" and "economic" game system, fewer battles, more diversified activities, more depths in the RPG dimension and real Lore.

There are so many things missing in this game, that we keep repeating ourselves. But two years after EA's release, it's hard for many to hide our disappointment. The development of the game is so slow and the communication of Taleworld so superficial that we sometimes have a feeling of being ripped off.

So I'll just ask the question:

What would the ideal "Bannerlord" game be for you?

Last edited:
I suppose some kind of combination of Prophesy of Pendor and Viking Conquest. Like PoP I would like to see a wider variation in troops and being able to create my own knighthood order, some kind of political intrigue system, a big foe in which to fight mid to late game when opposing factions are actually not a threat, and lastly I'd rather have a late-mid middle ages setting.
But like Viking Conquest I'd like to see the a useful shield wall implementation, and useful spears, varied formations that worked properly, and being able to create my own fortification.
Like both mods I'd love to have companions who aren't just cookie cutter drones that mean nothing to me. They're characters who have their own likes and dislikes and lastly the feeling that I'm actually commanding an army during battles as opposed to just watching a rugby scrum.

An endgame goal that wasn't painting 100% of the map, going well past the point of anything interesting happening or even being possible.

If I own half the continent and two-thirds of the original Imperial cities, the odds of the AI being able to do anything to stop me are low. The only thing it can do is delay the inevitable by annoying the hell out of me.

An endgame goal that wasn't painting 100% of the map, going well past the point of anything interesting happening or even being possible.

If I own half the continent and two-thirds of the original Imperial cities, the odds of the AI being able to do anything to stop me are low. The only thing it can do is delay the inevitable by annoying the hell out of me.
100 % agree. I would have preferred to have a small band with "intelligent" companions (translation: with dialogues, real interactions), who went through the war in search of a secret to end it. In short, a real quest for the campaign, the sandbox is good enough for those who want to play conquer all. In summary, a real introduction to the Universe of Calradia. Today, there is nothing to discover.
On the other hand, I would also have preferred to be able to create my castle or my city as proposed by the mod "The Land of Sika". Finally, the mod "The land of Sika" shows what the "campaign" of the generic game could have been.
Frankly, they would have made an introduction to the game with the "campaign" mode of the same type as "The Land of Sika", with dialogues and real RPG, even of a very modest manufacture but with a good plot, I would have forgiven everything. And I know I'm not the only one.
After the pleasure of replaying in "sandbox" is that of finding companions and npcs that marked us and that we appreciated during the "main campaign" even if they only have a role of "canvas background" and embellishment.
And that would have given modders material for other stories.

"The land of Sika" is a nice mod, but it's not about Calradia.

Last edited:
As much as bannerlord forces you to fight a million battles, I don't think the solution is to pad out the game with peripheral activities. I think Bannerlord would be a lot better if it just acknowledged its identity as a kind of mellowed, sandbox Dynasty Warriors, where everything is in service of the combat, and non-combat side activities were kept to a minimum or made optional.

So much of the unfocussed ****e in this game, like the recruitment system, the influence system, the perks, the child mechanics and the economy, is trying to distract you and draw your attention away from the battles. Its clear that there were too many contradictory ideas flying around during development, but by far the worst one is this vague, trend-driven "RPG mechanics" one, introducing an inscalable mountain of stupid perk trees and clan progression tiers that are like giant speedbumps in your immersion every time they appear.

I could go on forever about this stuff, but to put it briefly I think the game needs a much stronger focus, rather than just more stuff. Even if they removed half the "content" in the game and just make a less scatterbrained experience I would much prefer it.

In short, we were a small group of friends who wanted to get involved in mods, but given the direction taken by the game, it no longer interests us. There was room for something other than a war game, but it seems that is not possible, so we are not going to serve a war propaganda system. Making armor, calculating the balance between factions for an infinite war, and thinking about the best war strategies, who cares.

90% of the mods revolve around how to get better looking warriors and "get more realistic" or more spectacular warrior strategies. It's totally stupid like all war games.

We won't dwell on the totally stupid mods for "having female soldiers" (probably feminists... what a joke...) and other nonsense. The game would have an interest, if in the end, we were to oppose the Warlords and do not honor them.

Last edited:
At this point, i just want the game release and let modders do their magic.
I keep my listmod in mind cause they fix half of my complains. For lore and RP, dynamic relation, lets hope modders can bring this to another level.

As much as bannerlord forces you to fight a million battles, I don't think the solution is to pad out the game with peripheral activities. I think Bannerlord would be a lot better if it just acknowledged its identity as a kind of mellowed, sandbox Dynasty Warriors, where everything is in service of the combat, and non-combat side activities were kept to a minimum or made optional.

So much of the unfocussed ****e in this game, like the recruitment system, the influence system, the perks, the child mechanics and the economy, is trying to distract you and draw your attention away from the battles. Its clear that there were too many contradictory ideas flying around during development, but by far the worst one is this vague, trend-driven "RPG mechanics" one, introducing an inscalable mountain of stupid perk trees and clan progression tiers that are like giant speedbumps in your immersion every time they appear.

I could go on forever about this stuff, but to put it briefly I think the game needs a much stronger focus, rather than just more stuff. Even if they removed half the "content" in the game and just make a less scatterbrained experience I would much prefer it.
I don't want Battlelord Simulator, though. The mid to late game is already repetitive as it is, if the entire game is just battles, it gets old much quicker.

Last edited:
I didn't say I wanted the entire game to be battles. I just don't think the solution is to add more mechanics that have nothing to do with the battles, which are the focus of the game. The board games are an obvious example of this, they don't add anything to the rest of the game and only exist in a bubble. But I get this same vibe from most of the game. The reason why it's boring to fight battles is that there are all these mechanics but none of them change regardless of how many enemies you kill. An early game battle is identical to a lategame one, and you can't do anything to change that. It turns the battles into one of a dozen detached minigames that make up Bannerlord, rather than one cohesive connected system centred around the battles.

Because the world is not really "alive" and it doesn´t matter what you do. You can beat a lord 1 time or 1000000 times, he´ll come back forever and fight you.

An ideal bannerlord for me would have spies and assassins .Spies could help kick a clan from a kingdom or help high your rep or low a rival . assassins these could work on percentages and cutscenes unless its against the player or player clan members .Also viking conquest features like random events or special locations the stamina and would system jobs in the mines . i would also like weapon and armour to take damage and need repair something to spend the masses of gold on . Have some lords take you gear after battle and some that don't. Have the npc's traits depict there personality in dialogue really make it stand out from each other not just what armies they field. Some of this or all of this would please my a lot.

All I want is what's in the game now, except balanced, working right, and QoL'd. I'm not expecting it, mind.
Honestly, same.

They already have a game, its just not working the best it possibly can at the moment. Modders can add content all they want, but it means nothing when the game is inherently broken. I just hope TW adds a heap of fixes before the full release in October instead of leaving the game in the state it currently is in.

An ideal bannerlord for me would have spies and assassins .Spies could help kick a clan from a kingdom or help high your rep or low a rival . assassins these could work on percentages and cutscenes unless its against the player or player clan members .Also viking conquest features like random events or special locations the stamina and would system jobs in the mines . i would also like weapon and armour to take damage and need repair something to spend the masses of gold on . Have some lords take you gear after battle and some that don't. Have the npc's traits depict there personality in dialogue really make it stand out from each other not just what armies they field. Some of this or all of this would please my a lot.
The mod "The Land of Sika" is a bit as Viking Conquest.

but it is not finished. I played it until its current last episode, and I find it very good. Knowing that it's a modder's job, it's a huge passion job. Maybe there is a small production studio behind it, because this mod really represents a lot of work and ingenuity.
"The Land of Sika" is what Bannerlord's campaign should have been. It even brings new gameplay features that we would probably all have appreciated from the start (like building your village, then your castle, etc.).
This is a true genre-defining RPG in a sandbox world.
I mention it, because I want to encourage modders in this direction.

I have tried dozens of mods. None made the game more fun, most just changed details (armor, XP, having more or less companions, "realistic battles", this one is totally ridiculous because it's a game and " realism", lots of mods to change the stats thinking of doing better than TW, etc. lots of useful things but that don't change the uselessness of spending hours on the map, mods to make the game more difficult but none fun, in short...) without changing the gameplay.

In short, this game is made for "RPG" expansions like "The Land of Sika". The rest doesn't interest me too much because we will always have a big map and a lot of time wasted in long and boring trips.

Honestly, same.

They already have a game, its just not working the best it possibly can at the moment. Modders can add content all they want, but it means nothing when the game is inherently broken. I just hope TW adds a heap of fixes before the full release in October instead of leaving the game in the state it currently is in.
A lot of players are happy with the battles... But the game clearly and clearly announced an RPG and a lot of players feel rightfully cheated. And the "communicators" of TW, I don't care. What is an RPG ? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Role-playing_game
Annoucement on the first page of Steam workshop :
"A role-playing game combining action and strategy
Explore, plunder, conquer, and (and foes) as you journey across the vast continent of Calradia. Raise your own army and lead it into battle, commanding and fighting alongside your troops in the thick of the action
."
Clearly false advertising.

Role playing game ?: Nothing matches the definition of the genre in this game since there is no narration, lore, or npcs relating to a narration.
Explore ? : There is nothing to explore. It's not an RPG so the environment is very poor. No scenarios, no npcs, no randomized events, no leads to follow, no points of interest, it's just a battle map. Nothing that defines an "RPG" is present in this game. There's nothing to explore, it's just a hoax.
Strategy ? :
On the map, as we only control one troop, we cannot develop strategies. Campaign and sandbox is a mechanic simulation. The fights, the strategies are minimalist, but "let's not talk about strategy", just "minimalist tactics".
It's a false advertisement to talk about "strategy game", it's just a simulation game but we can't really act as "strategist", really not. It's a huge hoax. This game is not a strategic game, really not, it's a hoax.

In reality this game is designed so that the map evolves without us and should have been the support of an RPG, but since players are seduced by a hoax, why would TW bother to develop a real game? They earn enough with a hoax.

On the other hand, a mod like "The Land of Sika" shows what this game could have been in its finished form.

Because "The Land of Sika" doesn't make fun of players. It's out of the question to make people believe in grand strategies, but it really is an RPG, with a narration, a lore and skills that are used (finally!) to beat "bosses" alone, in a group, or even, in army.
All the originality of this game should have been in this possibility of playing an RPG in a huge warband.

TW did the minimum service. Modders are starting to make sense of the game.

But still, what a scam!!

Normally this game is designed for RPG ((as the developer of "the land of sika" immediately understood), it's obvious, that's why the mechanics of the game (on the map) seems incomplete, it was not central in the original idea, it's really obvious.

But TW didn't make an RPG and they couldn't design a real strategy game. They did neither.
We are not really in a sandbox, there are too many functions missing for that.
Why so much deficiency? I do not know.
Surely they needed money, so they released a very unstable and incomplete EA.
Assessment:
And today ? According to the latest news, they made no choice and decided to develop another game, no ?

They leave it up to modders to make choices for them and develop the game for them... (it costs less)

How disrespectful to us!

Their "warband" system is the most original thing about their game. It could have been the first "Warband" RPG in the history of games, the most complete and the most interesting. But they missed everything for unknown reasons.

Last edited:
My ideal "Bannerlord" for me would be a much more immersive Bannerlord and many other activities more interesting than repeated battles.

I "preach" on this forum for a "singleplayer" Bannerlord with more interactive npcs, truly "endearing" companions, a deeper "diplomatic" and "economic" game system, fewer battles, more diversified activities, more depths in the RPG dimension and real Lore.

There are so many things missing in this game, that we keep repeating ourselves. But two years after EA's release, it's hard for many to hide our disappointment. The development of the game is so slow and the communication of Taleworld so superficial that we sometimes have a feeling of being ripped off.

So I'll just ask the question:

What would the ideal "Bannerlord" game be for you?
In terms of what TW is actually capable of, I would like Bannerlord to have all good Warband features, all new features they promised, and for all features already in the game to function correctly

In terms of what TW is actually capable of, I would like Bannerlord to have all good Warband features, all new features they promised, and for all features already in the game to function correctly
Afterwards, I don't know their constraints, of course...

My ideal Bannerlord is honestly a modernized Warband. The game engine and system they have for Bannerlord seems okay enough for the job, though having incredibly modern looking graphics is not a major thing personally. I just want a game that works, is fairly balanced and the AI isn't absolutely moon-brained. I don't think that's an impossible ask, I really don't, but apparently it's like asking to win the lottery three times in a row.

If I can tack onto that a secondary dream area for it though, I'd love a Mount & Blade that's taken a lot of inspiration from Prophesy of Pendor and In The Name of Jerusalem.

Honestly, they ought to have just hired modders at the start of Bannerlord to come up with a road map of features that should have been in the game, and built the engine around that in mind. Such as complete mod integration and toolsets, more complex AI and AI controlled events, combat features like naval use and invasion etc etc.

I tested many, many mods to see, it took me a while to find a good combination. The problem with mods is that you are never satisfied, especially with a game like Bannerlord. There is always a problem with balance, conflicts between mods, etc. But everything you say is already in the works. A lot of modders go in the direction you want. But it's always DIY "as you can", and that's understandable. Then, harmonizing the mods together, what a hassle!
I think we will soon move towards more complementary mods and therefore towards more complex "stories", "strategies" and more variety in the game.
But I don't know where modders find the time to do all that...
What I miss is a slightly crazy companion who makes you laugh in the game. They don't have a sense of humor among modders.
A character, a kind of buffoon who says anything, is useless in combat but never dies, always a joke... His very life would be a joke. He would have an ironic look at the "Lords", the warriors, the soldiers, he would laugh at all this violence, he would be very weak but strangely, as if protected by a divine force, he would never die. "The word of wisdom is immortal sir, while human stupidity is infinite, do you see the difference my Lord?"

It's been a long time since I've seen a video game so lacking in imagination as if it were forbidden to unleash your imagination.

Last edited:
Viking Conquest basically. Maybe with a bit less over dominance of infantry tactics, but I consider it the absolute best M&B experience without going into mods.

Don't care about sailing or anything, but ships would be nice to have.

Back
Top Bottom