For the sake of all that is Holy, can you not have a better system for finding Lords?

Users who are viewing this thread

I now realize why I don't like playing this game in the beginning. I like a lot of it, especially when it gets going but please, for pete's sake, why did you have to make finding Lords and Nobles so dang hard!

And the excuse the devs give for their design choice is terrible. The folly quest where you have to find ten lords: "wE wAnT yOu to EXpLoRE." But we don't want to. Seriously, a show of hands, did anyone ever actually have fun doing that quest? Anyone? I hear crickets. So you make a stupid quest that no one likes because that's what you want people to do and if they don't do it, what? Will the Devs cry at night or something?

As though exploring isn't its own reward. You have to compel everyone to go around and try and play hide n seek for some lord we don't really care about. Seriously? Is it that mission critical for your vision that we have to do that?

The dumbest thing devs could ever possibly do in an open world is trying to force an experience they wanted players to have instead of players making their own experiences organically.

I agree. Four changes should be made:

1- the player should not need to speak to as many people for the Neretzes' Folly quest. Maybe just 7 instead of 10.

2- the encyclopaedia should also tell you where lords were last seen *travelling towards*, not just where they last were

3 - there should be feasts during peace, so that lords and ladies occasionally all congregate in the same place, making it easy to speak to a lot of people at once

4 - when ruler of a kingdom, the player should be able to send messages

Last edited:
As though exploring isn't its own reward. You have to compel everyone to go around and try and play hide n seek for some lord we don't really care about. Seriously? Is it that mission critical for your vision that we have to do that?
I've never had an issue doing that quest. You don't have to go in any order so the lords you need to talk to are the same ones you just randomly stumble into.

I've never had an issue doing that quest. You don't have to go in any order so the lords you need to talk to are the same ones you just randomly stumble into.
Read the post. Then read it again. And for good measure read it a third time. Then answer this one question: What is the root issue that the OP is having with this game? And, is there other areas where this issue might be a problem?
Here's a hint: I'm not likely to just "run into" that lord that gave me 5 days to go fetch him something. Do you get where this is a problem? I nEVEr dO thE oTHer QuEstS. Yeah, I bet you don't.

Read the post. Then read it again. And for good measure read it a third time. Then answer this one question: What is the root issue that the OP is having with this game? And, is there other areas where this issue might be a problem?
The OP's problem is that he doesn't just press "n" and go the noble he's looking for. Their current location is reasonably accurate.
Here's a hint: I'm not likely to just "run into" that lord that gave me 5 days to go fetch him something. Do you get where this is a problem? I nEVEr dO thE oTHer QuEstS. Yeah, I bet you don't.
I do the other quests all the time. I just do them the smart way -- by already having the item in my inventory. Accept quest, turn-in quest on the spot.

The OP's problem is that he doesn't just press "n" and go the noble he's looking for. Their current location is reasonably accurate.

I do the other quests all the time. I just do them the smart way -- by already having the item in my inventory. Accept quest, turn-in quest on the spot.
Okay, you are objectively wrong. And here is why you are objectively wrong... of course trying to explain this to obtuse individuals usually backfires because they're too obtuse to understand math.

Let's say you have a two hour game play where you do five quests where you have to find lords. And let's not count travel time to the lord's location and maybe running into looters, because that's not going to be fair to you if I did.

Let's say it takes 5 minutes from the last known location to actually finding them.

2 hours is 120 minutes. 5 minutes × 5 quests equals 25 minutes.

25/120 = .2083333333333333333333. Rounded up and converted to percents means 21% of a two hour run is spent just looking for a lord if you did just five quests. Again, not counting times you're in battle. Not counting even getting to the last known location.

Do you get it now?

PS: Your "right way"? Still have to spend 20% of game time finding him. So, you literally solved nothing. You are literally the guy who plays the lottery "the smart way" by buying 100 tickets and putting the same number on all of them. If you have you collect taxes, you're not going to have that before hand.

Last edited:
The encylopedia tip doesn't refresh itself if you don't enter settlements.

When you search for someone, enter villages / castles / towns more frequently.

With this, the intel becomes "near-real time".

But if you're asking "real time or complete" data, than the problem rests on you, sorry.

Not even kings, emperors have that precise intel most of the time.

I would prefer that we have to ask to friends/relatives/etc. to get the location of a lord. Would be better than some magical system. Maybe keeping the current system for getting partial information with a high roguery skill.

That being said, my main problem with it, is rather that lords actually teleport when not leading an army. So yeah, sometimes even the informations obtained by the pedia are just useless, because you go to the city where the lord is supposed to be, except he isn't seen anywhere, and somehow jump around from town to town.

Warband had a system where you had to actually ask someone where a Lord was. And I loved it because they provided where the lord was last and where he's headed.

And it was awesome.

It was not precise, but it was better it wasn't.

Warband had a system where you had to actually ask someone where a Lord was. And I loved it because they provided where the lord was last and where he's headed.

And it was awesome.

It was not precise, but it was better it wasn't.
..and the lord was heading toward the far end of the map, then changed course 90 degrees along the way. You asked twice to see which way he is going, and went chasing after him, except that he didn't hold that line and went somewhere else. When you get to where he used to be heading, he's nowhere to be found, so you have to go all the way back to his faction to find someone else to ask again. Quest failed.

It's easy if they stay in one spot, but they don't always do that.

One thing I didn't know for a long time is that if you move onto a settlement on the map (the menu pops up), it updates the location of npcs, so OTW to find a lord stopping at fief will make it somewhat better to track them.

I agree though this stuff all stinks and the way the AI constantly changes what it's doing (in a dum way) is annoying. The AI should have a objective that makes sense so it can be inferred where they're going and what they're doing. All instant actions for the AI should be removed and replaced by making them SPEND CAAMPAIGN TIME to do them. Oh a random chance to solve an issue when they go to settlement? Okay so now they need to SPEND TIEM moving and waiting on the map to simulate this activity, not just auto complete it. Oh does this make the AI slower to make constant armies, GOOD.

Okay, you are objectively wrong. And here is why you are objectively wrong... of course trying to explain this to obtuse individuals usually backfires because they're too obtuse to understand math.
It doesn't take math to press "n" and look up their location. That's what it is there for.
Let's say you have a two hour game play where you do five quests where you have to find lords. And let's not count travel time to the lord's location and maybe running into looters, because that's not going to be fair to you if I did.

Let's say it takes 5 minutes from the last known location to actually finding them.

2 hours is 120 minutes. 5 minutes × 5 quests equals 25 minutes.

25/120 = .2083333333333333333333. Rounded up and converted to percents means 21% of a two hour run is spent just looking for a lord if you did just five quests. Again, not counting times you're in battle. Not counting even getting to the last known location.

Do you get it now?
More like: I have 20 steppe horses. I see lord requires 13 steppe horses. I take quest (20 seconds). I turn in quest (20 seconds). If I have to look for the items, I don't take the quest.

This is not hard.
PS: Your "right way"? Still have to spend 20% of game time finding him. So, you literally solved nothing. You are literally the guy who plays the lottery "the smart way" by buying 100 tickets and putting the same number on all of them. If you have you collect taxes, you're not going to have that before hand.
I don't look for them. The quests just pop wherever, whenever.

"Just don't bother to play half the game." Apocal, probably

Here's what you do. Start a new game and do your "smart strategy". Oh, doesn't work so well, then does it?

Last edited:
its-only-game.gif

your problem is very unlikely to be solved by the devs, but if are still looking for a solution:
either activate cheatmode and teleport to the lord or download a mod like diplomacy (not uptaded for 1.8.0 yet) that allows you to send messengers, as for nereztes I recommend cultured start as it allows you to skip it

references:

please rate this automated response

Yes, it does work. Why wouldn't it?

edit: Do you not realize that you can instantly turn in a quest?
Why don't you actually try it and find out? And no, you can't "instantly" turn in every quest. Are you sure you're not playing a different game?

I'm with OP. There's no reason why Taleworlds can't solve these problems. There are multiple easy ways of making lords easier to find which would make the game more realistic too.
It doesn't take math to press "n" and look up their location. That's what it is there for.

More like: I have 20 steppe horses. I see lord requires 13 steppe horses. I take quest (20 seconds). I turn in quest (20 seconds). If I have to look for the items, I don't take the quest.

This is not hard.

I don't look for them. The quests just pop wherever, whenever.
The OP has already made it clear they just want to play quests in an RPG. They don't want to "not take the quest" as in your advice and miss out on a bunch of content in the game because it's poorly designed. They are providing feedback that the game can be designed better to be less frustrating and more fun; your advice amounts to "it's not frustrating if you don't play it."

With how enormously grindy this game already is, skipping multiple lord quests (potential sources of renown to increase clan tier) because you don't already have the means to fulfill them instantly means you are also missing out on opportunities to progress. So you're just swapping one waste of time for another waste of time.

Also, "give X items" quests aren't the only reasons why you would be seeking out a lord. In this game you have to manually communicate with almost everyone. Even as a king.

People want to play this game as an RPG (because that's what it is marketed as). They should be able to do so without needless frustration.
I agree though this stuff all stinks and the way the AI constantly changes what it's doing (in a dum way) is annoying. The AI should have a objective that makes sense so it can be inferred where they're going and what they're doing.
This.
All instant actions for the AI should be removed and replaced by making them SPEND CAAMPAIGN TIME to do them. Oh a random chance to solve an issue when they go to settlement? Okay so now they need to SPEND TIEM moving and waiting on the map to simulate this activity, not just auto complete it. Oh does this make the AI slower to make constant armies, GOOD.
I agree, though we need more peacetime first.

Back
Top Bottom