The more you know!

Users who are viewing this thread

Technically they were enhanced with carrying capsules, so they are cybernetic aircraft. :mrgreen:
fposter,small,wall_texture,product,750x1000.jpg

#472 The first authentic case of human recovery by artificial respiration was reported in 1744,
concerning the resuscitation of a suffocated miner using the mouth-to-mouth technique.
(Joseph Black discovered carbon dioxide in 1754).

Hong Ge (284 ~ 364 AD) wrote that a reed pipe was inserted from the mouth to the throat and another person blew through it after blocking the nostrils. https://cardiothoracicsurgery.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s13019-020-1086-5

Nowadays everyone's doing it :smile: https://people.com/pets/judi-dench-gave-goldfish-mouth-to-mouth-resuscitation/

Thanks. That's a great article. I only focus on western medicine.
Although, technically those are "guidelines" and do not mention any specific cases (and whether or not it helped a patient).
But they're detailed enough to be genuine and actually work.
The story of "saving the hanged man" sounds authentic, but is also an example.
In the Ming Dynasty, Menglong Feng wrote “Lasting Words to Awaken the World” (1627 AD), in which there is a detailed description of mouth-to-mouth resuscitation as it became more popular. (See Fig. 5, the cover of “Lasting Words to Awaken the World” and the copy of original text.) There is a real story in the book “Xiuting Zhang Escaped to Save his Father”. Xiuting Zhang’s fiancée hanged herself because her father disagreed with the engagement. A family member rescued the girl by the method “mouth-to-mouth resuscitation” recorded in this book [11].That implied that about 400 years ago, civilians in China were able to use “mouth-to-mouth resuscitation” to carry out first aid resuscitation. In the West, mouth-to-mouth resuscitation techniques were described by Dominque Jean Larrey, Napoleon’s chief battlefield surgeon. Also, since Napoleon came after 1732, Tossach should come first [12]. The Paris Academy of Sciences officially recommended mouth-to mouth resuscitation from drowning in the year 1740.
The example I was referring to is Tossach, mentioned here.
But more than a hundred years earlier we have an example from China about the fianceé hanging himself.
What's with all these people hanging themselves? :smile:

Last edited:
#473 Although popular culture has embraced the myth that sunflowers always follow the sun (heliotropism), this is inaccurate. Only young flowers “move” to face it throughout the day. Once they reach maturity, they stop sun-tracking—their blooms forever turned eastward towards the Great Eye of Mordor.

You had me at "Mordor."

#474 A 'bascule light' or 'tipping lantern' is a simple construction to raise a large lantern in lieu of a proper light house.

I am in a small Danish coastal town and thought I saw a trebuchet. "Cool" I thought and went closer, only to discover a "vippefyr". Something I had never heard of. It's an exact replica and still functional.

"The original vippefyr, the first of its kind, was built in 1627."

#475 Crop circles in the UK cost farmers thousands in lost revenue, and despite being vandalism very few cases are reported to - or investigated by - the police.

Although 15 crop circles covered about 55,000 square metres of grain in Wiltshire between 2021 and 2022, police in the area received only three reports of criminal damage relating to these incidents, according to data obtained under freedom of information requests.

Last edited:
#475 Crop circles in the UK cost farmers thousands in lost revenue, and despite being vandalism very few cases cases are reported to - or investigated by - the police.

Demonstrates that UK farmers are smart judges of the effectiveness of our police in such cases.

#476 In 1946 and 1947 The U.S. Treasury Department listed Betty Grable as the highest-salaried American woman; she earned more than $3 million during her career.
And her bathing suit poster made her the number-one pin-up girl of WWII.

#477 The "butt lift" (buttocks implants/augmentations) operation has the highest death rate of all cosmetic surgeries.
Yet, it's still legal and popular.

A July 2017 report [...] noted that one to two out of 6,000 BBLs [Brazilian Butt Lifts] resulted in death,
the highest mortality rate for any cosmetic surgery.
In 2018, The British Association of Aesthetic and Plastic Surgery advised surgeons in the United Kingdom to stop performing it altogether, although they couldn’t ban it outright.

Last edited:
#478 Early plastic model kits manufactured in USSR lacked not only decals and paint schemes, but the western planes were not even identified on the box. Interestingly, those kits that were exported to the west, while still of dubious quality, had both decals and correct boxes.

Ip7i7.jpg
_zJII.jpg

#479 Most political parties in Brazil have very misleading names:
- The Democrats represent the former party of the military dictatorship.
- The Social Democrats advocate a liberalist agenda.
- The Green Party is not obligated to green/environmental policies.
- The Progressive Party is reactionary.
- The Republicans have a strong association with the Universal Church of the Kingdom of God.*
- The Brazilian Women's Party have fewer female politicians than the (already low) Brazilian average.

*Not sure how big a discrepancy that is, but the author seems to think so:
Crisis of Democracy - And The New Autocracies, Georg Wink, editor Peter Seeberg & Mikkel Thorup. 2020.

The corpse of the formerly mainstream Green Party in Slovenia was hijacked by people who secretly support the major right-wing party and shill for them (apart from publishing inconsequential pro-green stuff). Source: I know these guys personally and they are privately very frank about being part of the very organized propaganda machine of the right-wing party.

#480 One of the first reported cases of foreign accent syndrome (FAS) was in 1941 when a young Norwegian woman developed a German accent after being hit by bomb shrapnel during a Second World War air raid.
She was shunned by locals who thought she was a Nazi spy.

Back
Top Bottom