Beta Patch Notes e1.8.0

Users who are viewing this thread

Got covid fam. It's hit me pretty gut. Probably gonna return to office this week though.

In any case, afaik this is still being worked on. It is a high priority for us, but simulation balance is finnicky and can take time.
Just coming off a bout of that myself, I hope your symptoms clear up soon!

So will Legionaries ever throw their pilum again? They look really silly using it as a spear. Espcially when they stand guard in a town with the pilum in hand.

Another thing i noticed in 1.8. is medicine is still is really slow to level up, but it gets even slower as time goes on.

I would like to see a more realistic and balanced state of affairs where shields can block 15 arrows, and armour can block 8 arrows.

Yes, a T3 archer will have to shoot a T5 enemy lots of times to kill them - and that's a good thing! Higher tier units are meant to have a big advantage over units that are two tiers lower.
This was just from a siege i just fought in 1.8. Bannerlord difficulty

f5Bawu1.jpg

I got hit with 6 arrows.
1 in the left arm, 1 in the right arm, 1 in the right shoulder, 1 in the back, 1 in the hip, 1 in the left knee. Armor is already good enough.
If you don't think that looks stupid and want that as a common appearance across the battlefield with 8-10 arrows sticking out, i don't know what to tell you.

A better way to nerf archers would be to increase recruitment and upkeep cost imo.

Last edited:
It is kind of like Arsuf 1191

"Richard’s next objective was the port of Jaffa. Marching down the coast, he imposed strict discipline on his force. The army stayed close to the shore to protect its flank and to benefit from the slightly cooler conditions there. The force was arrayed in three columns plus a rearguard. The knights, suffering terribly from the heat, rode in the column closest to the sea. The two outer columns were of infantry. They suffered from the archery of enemy light cavalry who could ride up, shoot, and escape quickly, but the infantry maintained their discipline and stayed in formation, some men marching with several arrows sticking out of their quilted jerkins. The crossbowmen exacted a steady toll among the horse archers, who could not venture too close to the columns."

So will Legionaries ever throw their pilum again? They look really silly using it as a spear. Espcially when they stand guard in a town with the pilum in hand.

Another thing i noticed in 1.8. is medicine is still is really slow to level up, but it gets even slower as time goes on.
Agree with both of these.
f5Bawu1.jpg

I got hit with 6 arrows.
If you don't think that looks stupid and want that as a common appearance across the battlefield with 8-10 arrows sticking out, i don't know what to tell you.
Here are the only things wrong with your picture:
1 - Your health is too low. Militia archers should be doing less damage to you.
2 - Lamellar armor would have deflected arrows in real life. So if a compromise that works for you is asking TW to make arrows stick less often in lamellar, I would support that. Though you could always just stop looking so closely, since you have to press ~ to do that.
3 - Your character has too many exposed areas of cloth with no mail.

But if you were wearing mail and had 8-10 arrows sticking out of you I would say: "Looks completely fine". Yes, that is how mail worked in real life - it's not our fault if it looks weird to you because you don't know your history.

You're wearing some of the best quality steel padded armor in the game. You absolutely should be able to survive a handful of arrows, it would be "stupid" if you couldn't.

Archers are overpowered, and the most realistic way of balancing them, that is also best for the player, is to reduce their average damage against same tier opponents from 4-5HTK to 7-8HTK.
A better way to nerf archers would be to increase recruitment and upkeep cost imo.
Troop costs are largely irrelevant most of the time. You would have to double their cost, and if you're worried about things being "stupid," that's pretty stupid in itself. And it still wouldn't fix the problem of archers being too strong in combat.

Last edited:
Troop costs are largely irrelevant most of the time. You would have to double their cost, and if you're worried about things being "stupid," that's pretty stupid in itself. And it still wouldn't fix the problem of archers being too strong in combat.
Yes, this would only affect the early game when money is rare. So it´s no solution.

Archers should be more supporting unit in case of facing heavier units who have fine armor in sense of demoralizing enemy with those arrows while not making much damage but causing stress and lowering morale if enemy has no answer and those arrows still keep and keep coming.

I do hope a patch fixing those chaotic (with no good reason) leaving clans of a faction comes soon.

Agree with both of these.

Here are the only things wrong with your picture:
1 - Your health is too low. Militia archers should be doing less damage to you.
2 - Lamellar armor would have deflected arrows in real life. So if a compromise that works for you is asking TW to make arrows stick less often in lamellar, I would support that. Though you could always just stop looking so closely, since you have to press ~ to do that.
3 - Your character has too many exposed areas of cloth with no mail.

But if you were wearing mail and had 8-10 arrows sticking out of you I would say: "Looks completely fine". Yes, that is how mail worked in real life - it's not our fault if it looks weird to you because you don't know your history.

You're wearing some of the best quality steel padded armor in the game. You absolutely should be able to survive a handful of arrows, it would be "stupid" if you couldn't.

Archers are overpowered, and the most realistic way of balancing them, that is also best for the player, is to reduce their average damage against same tier opponents from 4-5HTK to 7-8HTK.

FFS read some history because you have the same mindset of French Nobility during the hundred-year war.

Hur-dur we have the best armor lets yolo in front of a bunch of longbowmen.

Go ahead and roll up with your heavy cavalry and see what me and the boys do to you, imperial scum lords.

Archers should be more supporting unit in case of facing heavier units who have fine armor in sense of demoralizing enemy with those arrows while not making much damage but causing stress and lowering morale if enemy has no answer and those arrows still keep and keep coming.

I do hope a patch fixing those chaotic (with no good reason) leaving clans of a faction comes soon.
You can larp in your shiny armor all you want but as soon as your Royalist ass comes at me you're going to see what a support soldier can do to your army.

Do you know how many times IRL the celts rolled out with nearly all archers and sent Imps running back to Paris?

Get rekt nerds

@MostBlunted @Duh_TaleWorlds Back me up on this

Last edited:
Almost one month passed since Beta 1.8.0 release...
And still quite a lot of annoying bugs that came with it are yet to be fixed...

Last edited:
FFS read some history because you have the same mindset of French Nobility during the hundred-year war.

Exactly - their armor was so excellent at stopping arrows that they got careless, and a lot of them didn't even participate in the battle and went off for a walk or to feed their horses, because they were so used to easily defeating archers. In the end, the arrows weren't really what got them anyway, the archers ended up doing most of their killing with melee weapons.

I hope you're joking. Either way, Agincourt is an example of how armour was very good at stopping arrows, even when fired in huge amounts from the best archers in the world sitting in a good defensive position.

Exactly - their armor was so excellent at stopping arrows that they got careless, and a lot of them didn't even participate in the battle and went off for a walk or to feed their horses, because they were so used to easily defeating archers. In the end, the arrows weren't really what got them anyway, the archers ended up doing most of their killing with melee weapons.

I hope you're joking. Either way, Agincourt is an example of how armour was very good at stopping arrows, even when fired in huge amounts from the best archers in the world sitting in a good defensive position.
That dude just took the most ginormous L ever taken on this forum

War horn sounds on orders please or at least for when the charge order is issued by the player and Ai. The sad thing is the files are in the game!!!!! Vanilla is just so plain Janie without the trappings of war like banners and war horns.

Was playing serve as a soldier mod and the war horn sounds are so awesome, I just can't use that mod anymore as it has conflicts with other mods I use.

Hm, if we're arguing about archers IRL does that mean we're going to allow them to resupply arrows multiple times during battle? Armies used to have supply trains devoted to this.

Hm, if we're arguing about archers IRL does that mean we're going to allow them to resupply arrows multiple times during battle? Armies used to have supply trains devoted to this.
I wouldn't go that far, but it is stupid that heavy chain mail and full plate offer little resistance against arrows.

Go ahead and roll up with your heavy cavalry and see what me and the boys do to you, imperial scum lords.

You can larp in your shiny armor all you want but as soon as your Royalist ass comes at me you're going to see what a support soldier can do to your army.

Do you know how many times IRL the celts rolled out with nearly all archers and sent Imps running back to Paris?

Get rekt nerds

@MostBlunted @Duh_TaleWorlds Back me up on this
Every modern test is leaning toward terrain difficulty and mount casualties being determining factors not “muh archery” puncturing through plate mail.

But we’ll just ignore centuries of shield wall infantry tactics allowing Norse raiders to wreck shop throughout the British isles.

At the end of the day, archery was not the end all be all it’s made out to be since modern “warriors” often only think in terms of range warfare

Back
Top Bottom