Beta Patch Notes e1.8.0

Users who are viewing this thread

I (deliberately) haven't played at all for 6 months, and not seriously for more like a year. Would someone be kind enough to tell me plainly whether attackers getting stuck at the bottom of siege towers, and troops not breaking the _second_ gate after ramming the first, have been fixed? I don't mean listed as fixed in the patch notes. I mean really fixed, as in you used to experience the above, and now you never do anymore. I already tried searching the whole forum and patch notes and could not find an answer. And I have no desire to play again until those are fixed.

Also, longshot, but was anything ever done about being involuntarily at war for 80% of the game?

I (deliberately) haven't played at all for 6 months, and not seriously for more like a year. Would someone be kind enough to tell me plainly whether attackers getting stuck at the bottom of siege towers, and troops not breaking the _second_ gate after ramming the first, have been fixed? I don't mean listed as fixed in the patch notes. I mean really fixed, as in you used to experience the above, and now you never do anymore. I already tried searching the whole forum and patch notes and could not find an answer. And I have no desire to play again until those are fixed.
Attackers getting stuck at the bottom of siege towers is like 90% fixed. Troops gathered at the bottom of a tower will frequently fill up all 3 ladders with small gaps (which is honestly fine - looks more organic), and occasionally will drop down to only using 1 ladder at a time despite having enough troops to fill 3 ladders, but the majority of the time it's all good.

As for difficulty breaking the second gate, I have played around 20 sieges so far in 1.8 and only experienced troops having difficulty breaking the second gate once, in a situation where I was already attacking it myself, which seems to have confused them so that only two of them went up to attack it. The rest of the time, they destroyed it fine.

If you're ever looking for an easy summary of what problems with the game Taleworlds has/hasn't fixed, check this thread I'm working on. TW first did something about the second gate back in 1.6.1.
Also, longshot, but was anything ever done about being involuntarily at war for 80% of the game?
Well, in my current 1.8 playthrough as a vassal we've had one long period of peace that felt like it lasted almost a year, followed by mostly war with brief peaces of a few days. Though I'm not at the kingdom phase yet, where the endless war merry-go-round usually rears its ugly head.

TL;DR : Smithing in 1.8 is still broken and is now painfully unfun, plus my Enter key has taken some real punishment since its release.

Brace yourselves, Smithing rant incoming.

I would like to start by remembering a classic opening scene in one of my favourite movies that launched the career of a previously unknown Austrian. It begins with a rumbling battle hymn, heavy drums, and portrays a darkened medieval room where the only light is provided by red hot molten steel being poured into moulds and then labouriously hammered into shape by a strong man (supported by an equally strong woman btw.) with long hair and an unkempt beard.
(Can you guess the film?)

My point here is that smithing is cool, making weapons with fire and sweat and hammering steel, very cool right. Many Youtube channels displaying such endeavours have literally millions of views. So it's fair to say there is a general interest in this area.
It is for this reason that it is important to get this ingame system right.

In previous versions of this game, provided you had the materials available, and were fortunate with the unlocks, craft an absolute Kromm-level sword/axe/polearm in a reasonably rapid timeframe. After which, you could merrily enjoy using/swinging said weapon at whoever took your fancy over the course of your playthrough whilst levelling your character to demi-god levels of martial skill (which does take some time, especially 250+). Funtimes, i know.

Now the current problem emerges.

In the current version, 1.8, progression is limited by tier unlocks i.e. to unlock idk, say t4 pommels, you need to unlock every single t3 beforehand with idk say Two-handed Swords having hundreds of components each requiring 20-ish crafts to unlock 1 new component.

I get it, "you need to invest time and effort into it to eventually make great weapons", it's a reasonable position to have for real life....
This is not real life though, and making crap-tier trash that will only end up being melted back for materials or sold is just not satisfying, or more importantly, fun.

And having to repeat this process literally thousands of times to unlock all components.....well, i hope my problem with the current system has been made clear.

Thank you for reading.

TL;DR : Smithing in 1.8 is still broken and is now painfully unfun, plus my Enter key has taken some real punishment since its release.

Brace yourselves, Smithing rant incoming.

I would like to start by remembering a classic opening scene in one of my favourite movies that launched the career of a previously unknown Austrian. It begins with a rumbling battle hymn, heavy drums, and portrays a darkened medieval room where the only light is provided by red hot molten steel being poured into moulds and then labouriously hammered into shape by a strong man (supported by an equally strong woman btw.) with long hair and an unkempt beard.
(Can you guess the film?)

My point here is that smithing is cool, making weapons with fire and sweat and hammering steel, very cool right. Many Youtube channels displaying such endeavours have literally millions of views. So it's fair to say there is a general interest in this area.
It is for this reason that it is important to get this ingame system right.

In previous versions of this game, provided you had the materials available, and were fortunate with the unlocks, craft an absolute Kromm-level sword/axe/polearm in a reasonably rapid timeframe. After which, you could merrily enjoy using/swinging said weapon at whoever took your fancy over the course of your playthrough whilst levelling your character to demi-god levels of martial skill (which does take some time, especially 250+). Funtimes, i know.

Now the current problem emerges.

In the current version, 1.8, progression is limited by tier unlocks i.e. to unlock idk, say t4 pommels, you need to unlock every single t3 beforehand with idk say Two-handed Swords having hundreds of components each requiring 20-ish crafts to unlock 1 new component.

I get it, "you need to invest time and effort into it to eventually make great weapons", it's a reasonable position to have for real life....
This is not real life though, and making crap-tier trash that will only end up being melted back for materials or sold is just not satisfying, or more importantly, fun.

And having to repeat this process literally thousands of times to unlock all components.....well, i hope my problem with the current system has been made clear.

Thank you for reading.
whole smithing thingie in this game is redundant. I just want to visit blacksmith and order custom piece of pointy iron stick. For top-notch pointy iron sticks I will visit master blacksmith in each factions capital. Same goes for armor.

whole smithing thingie in this game is redundant. I just want to visit blacksmith and order custom piece of pointy iron stick. For top-notch pointy iron sticks I will visit master blacksmith in each factions capital. Same goes for armor.
+
How long it will take to TW to understand that majority of players just want to create orders to NPC smith for money and have custom weapon instead of Elder Scrolls tier grinding?

troops not breaking the _second_ gate after ramming the first, have been fixed?
You have to select a group and point them at the inner door up close and click it when there's a gray gear icon, it's good to make a separate small group to do this. Whatever uses the ram runs back to it's default group when the 1st gate is done, so be ready to seek the small group on the inner door. So NO it's not fixed, but maybe this is how it's intended anyways.
attackers getting stuck at the bottom of siege towers
I don't use towers often but last time I did I had some issues still on 1.7.2, not sure anything changed with them on 1.8. Siege's can vary from map to map with how depry the AI behaves.
No. The whole game kind of runs on war. There's some more lulls of peace and as a ruler you can pay for more peace time and overrule war votes for a bit, but.... tbh I don't know if you want more then 20% peace time. There isn't really anything else to do.
where patchie
Yeah, where is it!
Yeah.
+
How long it will take to TW to understand that majority of players just want to create orders to NPC smith for money and have custom weapon instead of Elder Scrolls tier grinding?
I don't think they'll add it anyways. They put work into the smithing so they wouldn't want to undermine it.

Can we get a battle horn sound on orders like charge, move to position, etc? There were some really cool mods, but haven't been updated in months and no longer work. This should be a feature that rolls out with banners as they both improve immersion and go well together.

Thanks TW!

why do so many clans defect quickly and in succession?

im using a save from 1.7.1, previously all th clans stayed, now they are leaving with towns.

Whats the point of the game if the clans keep leaving and you have to reconquer? Its ridiculous. I get it, here and there, but several clans leaving (with 100 relation and many fiefs) seems like unintended design.

@Duh_TaleWorlds

When capturing a castle, NPC companions die when I press the "spare the castle" button. This is not an accident.

although they did not die in battle

Although I couldnt find it in known issues.....

want patchie now
6f8.png

Is it likely that we'll get an option to 'prefer' spear troops in the same way we can with shields when assigning groups in the Order of Battle stage?

Back
Top Bottom